The CB battle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Just a coupla thoughts.....

The Rams are likely to keep 10 DBs this year - but will it be 5 safeties and 5 corners or 6 corners and 4 safeties?

Les Snead may have tipped his hand during his in game interview talking about how Gaines and Roberson were fighting for the 5th and 6th cornerback spots.

Speaking of those 2, Gaines has gotten a lot of well deserved acclaim - he looked very good - but I was very impressed by Roberson. We knew he could cover, but camp reports questioned his willingness to tackle - I saw a guy Friday night who wasn't afraid to stick his head in. He didn't lay the lumber on anyone - but he did tackle and he wasn't hesitant doing it.

The rest of the competition? Woodard made one play that I remember and Greg Reid did not flash at all.

At this point in time, I have 6 corners making the team - Tru, Jenkins, McGee, Joyner, Gaines, and Roberson.

At safety, 3 spots are inked (McCleod, McDonald, and Alexander). The 4th spot appears up for grabs.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Just a coupla thoughts.....

The Rams are likely to keep 10 DBs this year - but will it be 5 safeties and 5 corners or 6 corners and 4 safeties?

Les Snead may have tipped his hand during his in game interview talking about how Gaines and Roberson were fighting for the 5th and 6th cornerback spots.

Speaking of those 2, Gaines has gotten a lot of well deserved acclaim - he looked very good - but I was very impressed by Roberson. We knew he could cover, but camp reports questioned his willingness to tackle - I saw a guy Friday night who wasn't afraid to stick his head in. He didn't lay the lumber on anyone - but he did tackle and he wasn't hesitant doing it.

The rest of the competition? Woodard made one play that I remember and Greg Reid did not flash at all.

At this point in time, I have 6 corners making the team - Tru, Jenkins, McGee, Joyner, Gaines, and Roberson.

At safety, 3 spots are inked (McCleod, McDonald, and Alexander). The 4th spot appears up for grabs.

We saw two different things with regards to Roberson being willing to stick his head in there. What I saw, even on the tackle for loss, was a guy who dove at a guys feet, and reached up and was fortunate to get a hand on a foot, to TRIP up the back. Hardly sticking his head in there to tackle anyone.

As bad as Cody Davis looked getting run over on the Ingram TD, look at Roberson standing within a yard of the play, showing zero interest in engaging or trying to make a tackle. He may have "bumped" a guy every now and then, but I don't call that tackling anybody.

EJ Gaines on the other hand, TACKLES anyone he gets a shot on. The play at the goalline on the FB sealed the deal for me about him.

At this point, I am leaning to thinking that they keep 5 CB and S. With Daniels being the 5th Safety, for nothing other than his ST role. Same with C. Davis. Roberson is not going to make this team if he isn't on any coverage units. And right now, he isn't.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO they will keep 6 CB's and 4 Safeties I've seen all I need to see from Cody Davis.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
IMO they will keep 6 CB's and 4 Safeties I've seen all I need to see from Cody Davis.
because he missed two tackles? bet you didn't notice the other 5 he made? Cody Davis will be on the 53 man roster. No question in my mind

jjab360

Legend
Jenkins, Johnson, Joyner, McGee, Gaines, McDonald, Mcleod, and Alexander are locks imo. The rest will just be whoever performs the best on STs.

jjab360

Legend
because he missed two tackles? bet you didn't notice the other 5 he made? Cody Davis will be on the 53 man roster. No question in my mind
If he performs on STs maybe, I just hope he never sees the field on D.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If Cody Davis can't make the squad, that's probably a good indicator the roster is getting deeper.

He's a guy people love to like, but I've never really been overly impressed with his play outside of special teams.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
This is tough....good post question...I'm leaning towards 6 & 4. I just remember how the corners were dropping like flies a few years ago....Hmmmm, I'll have a better feel by the 26th....

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Here's another thought.

We're all counting Joyner as just a CB. But what if he also plays some S? Kinda like Matthieu? That was post draft speculation, after all.

That bolsters the 6CB and 4S argument, doesn't it?

Speeps

Starter
I agree with this. Especially since Joyner is versatile enough to play SS and nickle. I kinda like Cody Davis. He did miss some tackles, but that's correctable.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

When your position is the last line of defense, missed tackles are often touchdowns.

As to the Roberson thing, his shoestring tackle wasn't him avoiding contact, it was the only way to make the play / and it was a great play.

I did, however, see a bit of hesitancy when he was trying to tackle that tight end in the open field.

He was on at least one punt return team - so that's something.

Alan

Legend
Rams43 thinking we have a double dipper:
Here's another thought.

We're all counting Joyner as just a CB. But what if he also plays some S? Kinda like Matthieu? That was post draft speculation, after all.

That bolsters the 6CB and 4S argument, doesn't it?
I doubt that will play a part in their decision. He hasn't taken any reps at a safety position in TC.

After they pick 5 CBs and 4 Ss the best player at either position will probably be the tenth guy IMO.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
When your position is the last line of defense, missed tackles are often touchdowns.

As to the Roberson thing, his shoestring tackle wasn't him avoiding contact, it was the only way to make the play / and it was a great play.

I did, however, see a bit of hesitancy when he was trying to tackle that tight end in the open field.

He was on at least one punt return team - so that's something.

It was a great result,, not a great play. Only way to make that play? We will agree to disagree. That is NOT how any CB is ever taught to tackle a RB. EVER!!!!!

He did manage to find his way onto the THIRD UNIT punt team in a game where 3 CBs ahead of him weren't dressed.

And to C. Davis.... I conceded that he cannot miss tackles, but lets not hold him to a different standard than we do to everyone else on that defense the other night who missed a ton of tackles.

The one thing I am not concerned about is Davis' tackling.

Last edited:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It was a great result,, not a great play. Only way to make that play? We will agree to disagree. That is NOT how any CB is ever taught to tackle a RB. EVER!!!!!

He did manage to find his way onto the THIRD UNIT punt team in a game where 3 CBs ahead of him weren't dressed.

And to C. Davis.... I conceded that he cannot miss tackles, but lets not hold him to a different standard than we do to everyone else on that defense the other night who missed a ton of tackles.

The one thing I am not concerned about is Davis' tackling.

I'm not ready to cut Cody Davis - but he didn't have his best game - as you mentioned, he wasn't the only one.

On this Roberson play - he diagnosed it very quickly - shot forward and went after the running back well out in space. The back had plenty of space to make a move - which he did shaking to the outside. Roberson got enough of him to bring him down for a loss in the open field - a very difficult tackle to make with as much space and time as the back had. I'd be surprised if he got any criticism for tackling form out there on that play.

FRO

Legend
I would keep 6 CBs and 4 S. Joyner can play FS if needed. I like the upside of Roberson/Reid over Daniels.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I'm not ready to cut Cody Davis - but he didn't have his best game - as you mentioned, he wasn't the only one.

On this Roberson play - he diagnosed it very quickly - shot forward and went after the running back well out in space. The back had plenty of space to make a move - which he did shaking to the outside. Roberson got enough of him to bring him down for a loss in the open field - a very difficult tackle to make with as much space and time as the back had. I'd be surprised if he got any criticism for tackling form out there on that play.

I agree with all of the things he did well. He did diagnose the play, he came up aggressively to force the play. But they are not taught to dive at the targets feet in the open field. They are taught to break down, get under control, from the outside in, and in the OPEN FIELD, stay on your feet and tackle him high. Almost wrestling him to the ground. Hey, at the end of the day, he made the play. All I am saying is let's not confuse it with being someone who was more than lucky by tripping him up.

If he takes this approach on 20 plays, I would guess he whiffs on 19 of them.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I would keep 6 CBs and 4 S. Joyner can play FS if needed. I like the upside of Roberson/Reid over Daniels.

I think this is where my head is at. For the moment, anyway.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

So, in all seriousness, you are willing to keep a 6th DB who does nothing to add to the team on ST, thereby sitting on the sideline every week because they have virtually zero value on gameday? or keep a 5th Safety who is on most if not all of your core ST units? And if you are gonna play the Joyner can play Safety card, then why neglect the McLeod can play the Nickel Card?

RamWoodie

Legend
What you have in Cody Davis, is a guy that is STEADY! He's not flashy, he's not "under the current" either! He's a guy that's fundamentally sound in all facets of the game. He's smart too! Those type players are ALWAYS needed.

As the preseason has started...let's keep watching, because this guy will show his worth, whether it's STs, or situations where he plays FS to give a breather...you can expect him to be where he needs to be.

No one says he's a star...but he's a guy you want because he's reliable.

FRO

Legend
So, in all seriousness, you are willing to keep a 6th DB who does nothing to add to the team on ST, thereby sitting on the sideline every week because they have virtually zero value on gameday? or keep a 5th Safety who is on most if not all of your core ST units?
At this moment, yes. I'm confident Reid and Roberson can play special teams. I think both have good upside and would like to keep the best one of the two on the roster.

Also I'm aware McLeod can play nickel in a pinch, I just like the two CBs upside much more than Daniels.