The Browns could have had Kurt Warner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Cleveland is still writing that list

The Rams are right there too. Since 1995, the list is bigger.

Rypien
Miller
Banks
Walsh
Bono
Jermaine
Justin
Green
Warner
Bulger
Covington
Chandler
Fitzpatrick
Frerotte
Berlin
Boller
Bradford
Null
Feeley
Clemens
Hill
Foles
Keenum
Goff

And that's not counting guys who left and came back, in same cases twice.

So no pointing fingers.

Rams have 24, Browns have 18 but have added a few to the list since that pic went viral.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yer pretty fast for an old freaker. LOL

giphy.gif

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Warner was good and a Big part of the GSOT, BUT just a part, he wouldn't have won like he did with the Rams! He wouldn't have had the supporting cast of Players and Coaches! It took them all!! And don't forget the "D" either!(y)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I guess Bernie changed his tune.

200.gif

https://www.101sports.com/2017/02/06/kurt-warner-great-american-story-makes-pro-football-hall-fame/

Kurt Warner, The Great American Story, Makes It To the Pro Football Hall of Fame
By Bernie Miklasz/February 6, 2017

Saturday, the day before Super Bowl 51, I had the honor and privilege of advocating the candidacy of retired St. Louis Rams and Arizona Cardinals quarterback KurtWarner for induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The annual selection meeting was held in Houston at the Super Bowl media center. We began at 7:00 a.m. and didn’t finish until nearly 4 p.m.

It was a happy day for me. Warner is a Hall of Fame quarterback. His career warranted selection, and he undoubtedly would have made it at some point. But this is a complicated process, and I was pleased to have a chance to address the other selectors and explain why Warner deserved the most prestigious lifetime honor an NFL player can dream of.

I’m going to share my Warner presentation with you here today.

Here’s what I had to say in the room:

When I reflect on Kurt Warner, the one word I keep coming back to is perseverance …

I think of his personal character…

Warner was a wonderful talent, but his incredible journey wasn’t made on talent alone…

Warner played at a small school, started only one season, and went un-drafted. He was a camp arm, cut by Green Bay … he couldn’t find a job right away except working for minimum wage at the HyVee supermarket … he kept going …

...met Brenda, his future wife, and stepped up to adopt her two children, including a son, Zach, who suffered brain damage in an accident early in his life, before Kurt entered Brenda’s life … Brenda and Kurt experienced tragedy when her parents were killed in a tornado … every day was a test of character, but Warner kept going …

The Arena Football League… NFL Europe … a backup to Tony Banks in St. Louis…

He barely made the Rams roster in 1998 … the Rams didn’t protect him in the Cleveland Browns’ expansion draft following the 1998 season; the Browns passed on Warner and he stayed with the Rams…

Warner kept going until he finally got his chance, in the summer of 1999 when the Rams lost starter Trent Green for the season with a knee injury. Even then, the Rams had some doubts of Kurt’s readiness and considered pursuing of Jeff Hostetler, who had recently announced his retirement. Finally the Rams’ coaches agreed: they would put their trust in Warner.

As we like to say, the rest is history …

In his first three seasons: two league MVP awards, two division titles, three straight trips to the playoffs, two NFC championships, a Super Bowl ring, and a Super Bowl MVP award.

The guy — “Kurt Who?” — came out of nowhere to win the league MVP, the Super Bowl and the Super Bowl MVP in his first NFL season.

Warner was the conductor of the Greatest Show on Turf, putting up huge passing numbers as the quarterback of the first team in league history to score 500+ plus points in three consecutive seasons.

He took hit after hit as he stood in the pocket, waiting for a receiver to clear, knowing he was about to get clobbered…

As retired safety Rodney Harrison said: “Kurt had the heart to stand in there and take every hard shot a defense could hit him with. I think of Kurt Warner and the word that comes to mind is courage.”

Said Jeff Fisher,speaking of Super Bowl 34, when the Rams beat his Tennessee Titans: “We brought the extra pass rushers all game, and the goal was to hit him as many times as possible. We cracked one of his ribs. Actually Kurt told me we broke two of his ribs.

As the game progressed, he looked worn down and was in obvious pain. We thought we’d gotten to him. And then Kurt takes a hellacious hit from Jevon Kearse as he throws a (winning) 73-yard touchdown pass to Isaac Bruce late in the game. We couldn’t break Kurt. He had one bullet left and got us.”

Warner paid a price for his courage …. his career went into a valley for a while, only because of concussions and a sequence of injuries to his right hand that weakened his grip on the football, which led to too many fumbles and decreased accuracy…

Everyone counted him out — me too.

The Rams benched and released Warner who bounced around to the Giants, the Cardinals, backing up young guns Eli Manning and Matt Leinart. Arizona…

This fairy tale of Kurt Warner … it was broken.

How many great players come back from a career crash?

How many quarterbacks with a bum throwing hand find a way to reverse a spiral?

Those words, again: Perseverance, character, resilience.

After raising the Titanic in St. Louis, lifting a chronic loser to a highly unlikely Super Bowl championship, Warner raised himself and a SECOND Titanic in Arizona. Going into 2008 the Cardinals had one postseason victory since 1947, but Warner beat all odds and brushed off the forecasts of his own demise and led Arizona to the Super Bowl.

This could be the most unique career in NFL history.

Let’s talk about the so-called “hole” in Warner’s career.

This wasn’t a hole — this was an injured quarterback who had absorbed a terrible beating while putting the team’s interests ahead of his own. Kurt didn’t shut it down, give in. He fought through the injuries and the adversity. He healed up, put on a glove to enhance his grip, and turned back the clock.

He had that rarity — a career Second Act — to make people smile and feel good about Kurt Warner all over again.

You see, this isn’t just a great football story …

This isn’t just a great sports story.

This is a great American story.

Warner represents the virtues that every professional athlete should aspire to.

So instead of fretting over what Warner didn’t do …

I suggest we focus on what he DID do after starting his first NFL game at the relatively old age 28 …

Consider:

• Warner has more career passing yards than 15 Hall of Fame quarterbacks…
  • More touchdown passes than 13 Hall of Fame quarterbacks …
  • Only one Hall of Fame quarterback, Steve Young, has a career passer rating better than Warner.
  • Warner’s career average of 261 yards passing per regular season game ranks fifth in league history
  • Warner’s postseason average of 304 yards passing per game is No.1 all-time.
  • Warner’s career completion percentage, 65.5 percent is better than every quarterback enshrined in the Hall.
  • His career mark of 7.9 yards per passing attempt ranks 6th in league history and is superior to that of 20 Hall of Fame quarterbacks.
  • Kurt Warner is one of only nine players in NFL history to be named league MVP multiple times.
  • He’s one of only five quarterbacks in league history to win regular-season MVP, a Super Bowl title and the Super Bowl MVP honor in the same season.
  • Going into tomorrow’s New England vs. Atlanta game, Warner has the three highest passing yards totals in Super Bowl history.
  • Warner’s postseason passer rating, 102.8, is second in league history to Bart Starr.
  • Warner ranks first in NFL postseason history in career yards per attempt, and is second in completion percentage.
  • He’s the only QB in NFL history to pass for more than 1,000 yards in two different postseasons.
  • Only five NFL quarterbacks have more 300-yard passing games than Warner, who had 52. But there’s a difference: the other five quarterbacks made at least 230 starts — or more than double the number of Warner’s career NFL starts.
  • Warner had 300+ plus yards in 45 percent of his career starts. That’s phenomenal.
  • Warner and Peyton Manning are the only two quarterbacks in NFL history to throw for 14,000 yards with two different franchises.
  • Warner, Manning and Fran Tarkenton are the only three QBs in league history to throw 100 touchdown passes for two different franchises.
  • Warner, Manning and Craig Morton are the only three quarterbacks to lead two franchises to the Super Bowl.
  • Kurt is one of only three NFL quarterbacks to rank in the top 10 career passer rating for the regular season and the postseason.
  • In the modern era, 19 teams have scored 500+ points in a season, and Warner was the starting QB for three of them. quarterbacked three of them. That’s topped only by Tom Brady, who’s led the Patriots four seasons of 500+ points.
I could hit you with a lot more.

But the bottom line is this:

In his seven healthy seasons, Warner won two NFL MVP awards, was a multiple All-Pro selection and a four-time Pro Bowl pick, quarterbacked three NFC champions, played in three Super Bowls, won a Super Bowl, was a Super Bowl MVP, and owns the three highest passing-yards totals in Super Bowl history.

That’s more excellence packed into seven prime seasons than most quarterbacks could give you in 20 seasons. And we’re going to hold hand injuries against him? He couldn’t help it. He was hurt. But after climbing to the top of the mountain at age 28, and falling off a few years later, Warner took the long and hard road back and climbed the mountain again — appreciating the view from near the top at age 37.

It’s a remarkable career, and an example of all that is good in sports…

I humbly ask that we put Kurt Warner in Canton.

Postscript …

Late in Saturday’s selection meeting, when it was time to vote Yes or No on each of the five finalists, I grabbed my iPhone and snapped a photo of the Warner ballot just before turning it in. Why? Because I wanted to get it framed to put on my desk to remind me of the thrills and chills that came with watching Warner play for the Rams in his glory days here.

It was perhaps the most enjoyable experience of my column-writing career. But there was another reason: seeing that ballot will also remind me of Kurt Warner, the Hall of Fame person — one who very much remains inspirational in ways that have nothing to do with football.

Thanks for reading …

—Bernie

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Cleveland win a SB? Haha please guess Warner forgot about all that success at NY he had too. He was in the right place at the right time. Green would have won a SB with the Rams that year

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Warner’s postseason passer rating, 102.8, is second in league history to Bart Starr.
  • Warner ranks first in NFL postseason history in career yards per attempt, and is second in completion percentage.
  • He’s the only QB in NFL history to pass for more than 1,000 yards in two different postseasons.

i've said it before and i'll keep saying it - if i had to pick one qb to lead my team in the clutch it would be kurt. the ultimate competitor.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Cleveland win a SB? Haha please guess Warner forgot about all that success at NY he had too. He was in the right place at the right time. Green would have won a SB with the Rams that year

Green had a 2-3 record as Rams starter during the GSOT. No Warner, no rings. Yes it was a team, but the way he was throwing the ball that year was very nearly unprecedented.

i've said it before and i'll keep saying it - if i had to pick one qb to lead my team in the clutch it would be kurt. the ultimate competitor.

Or in a playoff run.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams are right there too. Since 1995, the list is bigger.

Rypien
Miller
Banks
Walsh
Bono
Jermaine
Justin
Green
Warner
Bulger
Covington
Chandler
Fitzpatrick
Frerotte
Berlin
Boller
Bradford
Null
Feeley
Clemens
Hill
Foles
Keenum
Goff

And that's not counting guys who left and came back, in same cases twice.

So no pointing fingers.

Rams have 24, Browns have 18 but have added a few to the list since that pic went viral.
But the Rams have had Pro Bowl QB, an OROY, multiple playoff and SB appearances and of course a Lombardi trophy.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
But the Rams have had Pro Bowl QB, an OROY, multiple playoff and SB appearances and of course a Lombardi trophy.

Of course very true. I'm just commenting on the list of QB's the Rams have trotted out there. It's the biggest or second biggest reason both teams have been failing.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course very true. I'm just commenting on the list of QB's the Rams have trotted out there. It's the biggest or second biggest reason both teams have been failing.
I hear you, but I'm sure any Cleveland fan would loved to have had a chance with a Warner, Green, Bulger or Bradford in the last 15 years. And not to mention that their list of suck is littered with 1st rounders (some they even traded up for), at least in the Rams case, the scrubs were scrap heap guys that only played because the starter couldn't.
Heck, Cleveland even picked up some of the Rams trash over the years in Davis and Lewis...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I hear you, but I'm sure any Cleveland fan would loved to have had a chance with a Warner, Green, Bulger or Bradford in the last 15 years. And not to mention that their list of suck is littered with 1st rounders (some they even traded up for), at least in the Rams case, the scrubs were scrap heap guys that only played because the starter couldn't.
Heck, Cleveland even picked up some of the Rams trash over the years in Davis and Lewis...

They haven't had a capable QB since Kosar, it's been that long.

Lets hope that Goff is as advertised because that will change everything.

If he struggles I full expect Snead to get aggressive, which he doesn't mind doing, and going after Cousins with McVay's help.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
"At least we're not the Browns"

...says every NFL fan.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I was just thinking about BM's article about Warner.

I think he had to say what he said for two reasons. One, it's the truth. Two, if he stuck with his opinion he would continue to look foolish and disingenuous. I wonder if there are any other pieces where he praised Warner after he was cut by the Rams.

I'd bet there isn't a single one.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
They haven't had a capable QB since Kosar, it's been that long.

Ah yes, Bernie Kosar.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As12a5gzmvY

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...-kosar-doesnt-apologize-for-criticism-of-rams

"I love the game so much and there's no way I'd want to disrespect or hurt or make fun of any players or coaches," Kosar said, according to the Akron Beacon Journal. "That being said, the way I look at the game and the way I like to analyze it from a football perspective, it is what it is.

"Again, I don't want to disrespect or hurt any of the players or coaches in the league. But I do like the way I look at the game, and I have strong feelings about how the game is played."

The Browns said the following day that Kosar called Fisher to apologize. Kosar didn't sound like a man with regrets Thursday night.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Green had a 2-3 record as Rams starter during the GSOT. No Warner, no rings.

That's not really fair to Trent. In one of those games he had 431 passing yards, 2 TD, 0 INT.... and still lost. The Rams had the league's worst defense in 2000. Marshall Faulk and Jeff Wilkins both missed time in that 2-3 stretch also.

Green probably would've taken the Rams to the playoffs. The biggest factor that would've prevented him from becoming a SB winner like Warner was that he didn't feel or escape the rush well and took too many sacks. He eventually got better at this but not until after he went to KC.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
That's not really fair to Trent. In one of those games he had 431 passing yards, 2 TD, 0 INT.... and still lost. The Rams had the league's worst defense in 2000. Marshall Faulk and Jeff Wilkins both missed time in that 2-3 stretch also.

Green probably would've taken the Rams to the playoffs. The biggest factor that would've prevented him from becoming a SB winner like Warner was that he didn't feel or escape the rush well and took too many sacks. He eventually got better at this but not until after he went to KC.

I like Trent, I think he got better when he went to KC like you mention. I think the Rams would have made the playoffs with him for sure. I was glad he got to have a really good career. I was certain that if he went to the Steelers he would get a ring and I was blown away that the Ravens didn't move heaven and earth to get him. They would have won 2 SB's with him.

But in order to truly make the MAXQ offense that Martz designed work like it did from 99-01 the QB had to stand in the pocket and deliver knowing they were going to get hit and nobody I have seen to date did that like Warner. A lot of plays that made the difference in a game happened because Warner waited and then threw it. I'd bet that Green took a lot of sacks because he pulled the ball down and got sacked. Warner delivered the ball and got hit., but made the play. That year he copped 9.9 YPA. Highest in like 5 decades. The game wasn't even similar and he did that.

Does Green make that pass to Proehl at the edge of the end zone against the Bucs? Or the pass to Bruce in the SB?

The list of guys who could make both of those throws is VERY short.

Another thing to add is that while Green was accurate Warner was precise.

Again I like Green............but no Warner, no rings.

2000 was a crazy season. I think it is the only time a team was first in total points and last in giving them up. It was exciting all the way up to the Az fumble in New Orleans.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think Warner has mixed feelings. He had his greatest success with the Rams but they did release him. Warner picked his wife Brenda to present him at the Hall of Fame ceremony, so at least he didn't pick Bruce Arians over Dick Vermeil or another Ram.

Here's a blast from the past...

Kurt Warner Silences Mike Martz and His Media Lapdog Bernie Miklasz

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ike-martz-and-his-media-lapdog-bernie-miklasz

It's because of what happened and what Martz did that I would never trust him again. Yes, he's an innovator, but he exposes his QBs to WAAAY too much contact and he's committed a cardinal sin in that he sold out his QB.

I dunno if it makes it worse that he did it in part because Warner's wife, Brenda, called Martz out for lying about her husband.

But on the Warner/Martz scale, I'm 100% Warner.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dunno if it makes it worse that he did it in part because Warner's wife, Brenda, called Martz out for lying about her husband.

that's the worst part about the whole warner getting kicked to the kerb by the rams.

in 2002 martz had complete faith in warner to get it done. so much so that he played him with a broken throwing hand against the eagles in a must win game. even over a healthy bulger.

then brenda blabbed on radio that martz was lying.

all of a sudden next season kurt was smacked around in the first game and then benched. not for a game or two, for good. it still irks me no end, especially since bulger was bumbling his way through games yet the rams d kept the team in them by creating turnovers in good field position.

so martz went from complete faith in kurt to no faith and spreading rumours around the league that kurt was crippled and a locker room cancer. get fucked.