The Browns could have had Kurt Warner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...have-been-fun-to-win-super-bowl-in-cleveland/

Kurt Warner on ’99 expansion draft: It would have been fun to win Super Bowl in Cleveland
Posted by Charean Williams on July 13, 2017

2482020-e1499976452759.jpg
Getty Images

In 1999, the Browns used the 29th spot in the expansion draft on Scott Milanovich of the Buccaneers and then selected Tim Couch No. 1 overall in the NFL Draft. Milanovich never threw a pass for the Browns, and Couch lasted only five seasons, going 22-37 with 64 touchdowns and 67 interceptions.

The Browns have had 26 other starting quarterbacks besides Couch, and are yet to find a franchise signal caller.

But the Browns could have had that guy in 1999 when the Rams left Kurt Warner unprotected in the expansion draft. Warner, of course, was a nobody then, having thrown only 11 career passes.

Warner said Thursday nothing would have changed for him, except the team he played for, but the Browns would have won a Super Bowl with him if they had foresight.

“Had I gone to Cleveland, how would my career be different? I have no idea,” Warner said on a Pro Football Hall of Fame conference call. “It would have been fun to win a Super Bowl in Cleveland, though. But I think when you’re going through the process, and you get to this point I always felt like wherever I was, I would be successful.

A lot of people I think when they see my career, they hear or they remember I sat on the bench for four years in college, got cut by the Packers, worked in a grocery store and then won the Super Bowl. That’s kind of the timeline that people see when they hear Kurt Warner.

When I look at the timeline, I look at it and say, ‘Played one year in college, was player of the year in my conference, I played three years in Arena Football, went to the Arena Bowl twice and was voted the best quarterback in the league all three seasons, went to Europe for a year and was the top quarterback statistically the season I played there.

So I look at it and say every time I played I was successful. Everybody else looks at it and says he didn’t play very much. So there were two different perspectives on it.

“So had I gone to Cleveland, I would have expected nothing else except to have success, somehow, someway, some form. Had I been on the field, I would have expected to play well and have success. . . . I believe had I gone there and had a chance to play, I would have helped that franchise go to places they’ve never been before.

Whether it’s arrogance or confidence or whatever you want to call it, that was my mentality when I stepped between the lines on a football field that I was going to make my team and somehow, someway, I was going to find a way to succeed.”

Things worked out just fine for Warner. Trent Green got hurt; Warner got his chance and won a Super Bowl for the Rams, and he enters the Hall of Fame in the Class of 2017. Meanwhile, the Browns’ search for a quarterback continues.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
LOL......win a super bowl in Cleveland............Ya! because it was one guy that made the difference, not the WRs or that one RB ya know.

Warner certainly doesn't show much fondness for the Rams.

UtahRam

Rookie
LOL......win a super bowl in Cleveland............Ya! because it was one guy that made the difference, not the WRs or that one RB ya know.

Warner certainly does show much fondness for the Rams.

Why should he? They kicked him to the curb.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think Warner has mixed feelings. He had his greatest success with the Rams but they did release him. Warner picked his wife Brenda to present him at the Hall of Fame ceremony, so at least he didn't pick Bruce Arians over Dick Vermeil or another Ram.

Here's a blast from the past...

Kurt Warner Silences Mike Martz and His Media Lapdog Bernie Miklasz

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ike-martz-and-his-media-lapdog-bernie-miklasz

fearsomefour

Legend
The Browns wouldn't have won a SB with him, they didn't have Martz' scheme and all the other talent. Make not mistake, it was Warner that made that car go though.
They left them unprotected because they had no idea what they had. Both Vermeil and Martz have been honest enough to admit that.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Warner has mixed feelings. He had his greatest success with the Rams but they did release him. Warner picked his wife Brenda to present him at the Hall of Fame ceremony, so at least he didn't pick Bruce Arians over Dick Vermeil or another Ram.

Here's a blast from the past...

Kurt Warner Silences Mike Martz and His Media Lapdog Bernie Miklasz

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ike-martz-and-his-media-lapdog-bernie-miklasz

that's the best bleacher report article i've ever read. so biting and so true.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He did ask for his release btw....

Do you have a link for that?
http://www.espn.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1785927

Two-time NFL most valuable player Kurt Warner, whose career deteriorated over the past two seasons because of a series of injuries and inconsistency, will be released by the St. Louis Rams after June 1.

Warner's agent, Mark Bartelstein, was informed Monday by Rams coach Mike Martz of the team's decision.

The Rams also granted Warner and his representatives permission to begin talking with other teams, although the six-year veteran won't technically be freed from his contract for at least six more weeks.

The move will free up approximately $4.85 million in 2004 cap room for the Rams. The club will still have to carry $4.61 million in so-called "dead money," cap room devoted to a player no longer on the roster, against its spending limit for 2004. Warner's current cap number, however, is a whopping $9.467 million, an exorbitant amount for a player who was not going to win the starting job.

St. Louis will also have to absorb a cap hit of $6.723 million in 2005. Warner is under contract through the 2006 season.

Injuries caught up to Warner the past two seasons, his playing time was reduced and his productivity waned. He started only one game in 2003 and made two appearances.

He lost his starting job to Bulger after fumbling six times in the Rams' opener against the New York Giants last season. It was learned after the game the Warner was playing with a concussion.

Martz replaced Warner with Bulger the next week, and Warner never returned to the starting lineup.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
They also gave him a chance when no one else did, and the offensive system and supporting cast to become a star.

And when he made the most of it Martz blew it. And by the way Martz was enough of a man to admit it years later.

He did ask for his release btw....

Actually they cut him before they had to pay him a 5MIL roster bonus. He had been asking to be release. They waited, then cut him.

Martz made the call that he later said was the wrong move.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Two-time NFL most valuable player Kurt Warner, whose career deteriorated over the past two seasons because of a series of injuries and inconsistency, will be released by the St. Louis Rams after June 1.

Warner's agent, Mark Bartelstein, was informed Monday by Rams coach Mike Martz of the team's decision.

The Rams also granted Warner and his representatives permission to begin talking with other teams, although the six-year veteran won't technically be freed from his contract for at least six more weeks.

The move will free up approximately $4.85 million in 2004 cap room for the Rams. The club will still have to carry $4.61 million in so-called "dead money," cap room devoted to a player no longer on the roster, against its spending limit for 2004. Warner's current cap number, however, is a whopping $9.467 million, an exorbitant amount for a player who was not going to win the starting job.

St. Louis will also have to absorb a cap hit of $6.723 million in 2005. Warner is under contract through the 2006 season.

Injuries caught up to Warner the past two seasons, his playing time was reduced and his productivity waned. He started only one game in 2003 and made two appearances.

He lost his starting job to Bulger after fumbling six times in the Rams' opener against the New York Giants last season. It was learned after the game the Warner was playing with a concussion.

Martz replaced Warner with Bulger the next week, and Warner never returned to the starting lineup.

Beat me to it.

Yer pretty fast for an old fucker. LOL

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Bernie was working for Martz.........as his image consultant or something.

What a fucking train wreck.

And BM has a HOF vote LOL.

Gotta love the credibility.........I hope you guys all read that article, every word it true.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
To be honest....this is very simple and I would think Warner of all people would understand it best:

Martz, the coaching staff and the St.Louis media has nothing to do with the "Rams" as fans see it. Warner is far beyond Martz and the rest for the Rams legacy.....so after all this time and for a guy who understands forgiveness, why the lack of fondness for the "Rams"?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Looks like I "misremembered"
My bad

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
To be honest....this is very simple and I would think Warner of all people would understand it best:

Martz, the coaching staff and the St.Louis media has nothing to do with the "Rams" as fans see it. Warner is far beyond Martz and the rest for the Rams legacy.....so after all this time and for a guy who understands forgiveness, why the lack of fondness for the "Rams"?

Umm, maybe because they broke it off in his azz and they took years to say "Hey, sorry for breaking it off in your azz". But only after they all ended up looking like fools because he wasn't what they all said he was.

I bolded the first line because I don't know what you mean. At that time Bernie was putting out columns constantly that bashed Warner.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i've never heard kurt say one bad thing about the rams or anyone who was associated with the rams. not sure what you're talking about?