The Big Positive from SF

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
It's almost laughable at how you guys think the refs are out to get the Rams. Maybe if the Rams didn't play dirty, the refs would get off them for ticky tack plays.

I do agree however that the OPI was bogus. I was certain that it was holding on the defender who impeded Cook's progress. The ref didn't know that a receiver has a right to run his route I guess.

There were some calls that should have been called on the Rams that were not. The swing at Hyde, the ball thrown at Hyde, the hold on Craig Dahl by Corey Harkey for Bam Bam's TD.

The 49ers first mistake was putting Craig Dahl into the game.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I know he gave up a TD to Crabtree but you gotta tip your hat to the route he ran on that play.

I watched that play again to see Gaines' technique.

2nd and 8 from the Rams 32, only down by 3, less than a min left in the 3rd Q. Rams called an all out blitz with 7 guys rushing the passer. Hayes / Langford / Brockers / Quinn rushed, Laurinaitis and Dunbar came immediately, Ogletree came delayed. Kaep took a simple 7 step drop from under center. The 49ers picked up the blitz, and amazingly at Mississippi 3, Kaep still had a clean pocket to step into and make the throw.

3 49ers went in the pattern who were all single covered. TJ McDonald stayed in the shallow middle part of the field, presumably to cover anyone who leaked out of the backfield and provide inside leverage for any WRs who went into the middle of the field. But with no 49ers coming out of the backfield and the very deep 49er routes, McDonald was just in no-man's land.

Crabtree ran a deep post/corner/post on Gaines. Gaines was totally committed to maintaining outside leverage throughout the route to take away the quick out passes and deep sideline passes, and he did this admirably. He was surely expecting a safety to be in the middle of the field, but McDonald was much too shallow to be of any help.

The failure on this play was not on Gaines, or at least not purely. The fact that the 7 player pass rush still could not come close to Kaep even with 3 Mississipi... that's just embarrassing. If the front 7 got any pressure, there would not have been for Crabtree to run such a complicated route, nor for Kaep to do a 7 step drop, in which case McDonald's depth would have been about perfect. I'm also wondering why they had an 8 yard CB cushion, putting Gaines at the mercy of whatever Crabtree wanted to run on him.

The net effect off all this was that the Rams D did absolutely nothing to disrupt the timing of this very simple looking 49ers play, but I wouldn't hang that on Gaines. I blame Williams for a poor design and a poor situational play call. I blame the pass rush for just.... well... sigh.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
When they put up the flag graphic isn't always indicative of when the flag is thrown, unfortunately. And I watched it a few times and none of the angles caught the ref who threw the flag, so I couldn't tell when it was thrown. If anyone was there, they might know, but otherwise, only the all-22 would show it, I think...

The flag was thrown by the VERY deep middle ref, about 30 yards from the infraction. The ref was reacting to the hand fighting between Cook and Cox in the 5 yard bump zone. The ref starts reaching for his back pocket almost immediately after that point given a tiny bit of reaction time. The replay doesn't show the ref actually throwing the flag, but you can see it coming. The replay that shows this is the high endzone angle from behind Davis, and can see Davis, Cook, Cox and the deep ref all on the same replay.

From the refs angle, Cook was clearly not extending his arms on Cox, so frankly I have no idea what he was seeing.

Tag: @-X- @jrry32

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think the entire team played great, for all but two minutes of the first half. That said....
* I agree We saw almost all our rookies in action and they did not disappoint.

* Greg Robinson did absolutely man-handled Justin Smith and did great against him in pass protection.

* Aaron Donald is everything I thought he would be on the field.

* LaMarcus Joyner was unstoppable as a gunner. I and I agree this kid needs to play FS. I also like his pursuit angles, and ability to fly to the ball.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I watched that play again to see Gaines' technique.

2nd and 8 from the Rams 32, only down by 3, less than a min left in the 3rd Q. Rams called an all out blitz with 7 guys rushing the passer. Hayes / Langford / Brockers / Quinn rushed, Laurinaitis and Dunbar came immediately, Ogletree came delayed. Kaep took a simple 7 step drop from under center. The 49ers picked up the blitz, and amazingly at Mississippi 3, Kaep still had a clean pocket to step into and make the throw.

3 49ers went in the pattern who were all single covered. TJ McDonald stayed in the shallow middle part of the field, presumably to cover anyone who leaked out of the backfield and provide inside leverage for any WRs who went into the middle of the field. But with no 49ers coming out of the backfield and the very deep 49er routes, McDonald was just in no-man's land.

Crabtree ran a deep post/corner/post on Gaines. Gaines was totally committed to maintaining outside leverage throughout the route to take away the quick out passes and deep sideline passes, and he did this admirably. He was surely expecting a safety to be in the middle of the field, but McDonald was much too shallow to be of any help.

The failure on this play was not on Gaines, or at least not purely. The fact that the 7 player pass rush still could not come close to Kaep even with 3 Mississipi... that's just embarrassing. If the front 7 got any pressure, there would not have been for Crabtree to run such a complicated route, nor for Kaep to do a 7 step drop, in which case McDonald's depth would have been about perfect. I'm also wondering why they had an 8 yard CB cushion, putting Gaines at the mercy of whatever Crabtree wanted to run on him.

The net effect off all this was that the Rams D did absolutely nothing to disrupt the timing of this very simple looking 49ers play, but I wouldn't hang that on Gaines. I blame Williams for a poor design and a poor situational play call. I blame the pass rush for just.... well... sigh.
can u tell if the 49er front was playing within the rules on that play?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cushion wouldn't have mattered. There was nothing Gaines could do in Cover 0 to defend that. I don't have an issue with the cushion on the play. I have an issue with the play itself and the Rams pass rush not getting there. As a CB, you're screwed on that play.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The flag was thrown by the VERY deep middle ref, about 30 yards from the infraction. The ref was reacting to the hand fighting between Cook and Cox in the 5 yard bump zone. The ref starts reaching for his back pocket almost immediately after that point given a tiny bit of reaction time. The replay doesn't show the ref actually throwing the flag, but you can see it coming. The replay that shows this is the high endzone angle from behind Davis, and can see Davis, Cook, Cox and the deep ref all on the same replay.

From the refs angle, Cook was clearly not extending his arms on Cox, so frankly I have no idea what he was seeing.

Tag: @-X- @jrry32

I saw it. He started to reach for it before Cook made his catch but it didn't leave his hand until after Cook had broken the tackle and cut up-field. So in the end, doesn't mean much of anything. Regardless, that's the same moron who flagged TJ McDonald right after halftime for nothing when he was covering Davis who actually extended an arm into him on 3rd down. He was just in screw the Rams mode.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
can u tell if the 49er front was playing within the rules on that play?

LT Staley was clearly beaten and had Quinn from behind. RG Boone did *something* to Langford to put him on the ground, I couldn't see if legal or not. William Hayes sorta had an edge on RT Martin, who might have his arm across Hayes chest, too hard to see. But they never call that (unless it is the Rams doing it), the DE needs to swim or rip that arm off. The C had Brockers cleanly. Dunbar and Laurinaitis just ran into blockers. Ogletree was just late.

From what I saw, it might have just been that the DL was gassed. Or maybe they were thinking run on the play. But overall it looked like either half-a55ed execution, or just no fight left in them.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I saw it. He started to reach for it before Cook made his catch but it didn't leave his hand until after Cook had broken the tackle and cut up-field. So in the end, doesn't mean much of anything. Regardless, that's the same moron who flagged TJ McDonald right after halftime for nothing when he was covering Davis who actually extended an arm into him on 3rd down. He was just in screw the Rams mode.

Was it also the same idiot ref who was grinning like an a-hole after the Lloyd TD?