The Big Positive from SF

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Am I mistaken, or did that flag come AFTER Cook broke free and picked up all that yardage? Because I didn't see the flag graphic until after the play was over. If that's the case, then there's no question that there's some ulterior motive to throwing it.
it was thrown from the BACK JUDGE 40 yards away from the play, and he threw it as the pass was in the air. I was certain it was a call for illegal contact, and like everyone else was shocked that it went against Cook.

I know Fisher walks a tight rope with his role on the Games Committee ,, but at this point, I wouldn't mind him going off on these guys to make a statement. take the 15 yards, its not like they wouldn't invent another call at some point anyway. For all the antics from Harbaugh, and trust me I watched him closely last night, he is constantly in the ear of the side judge.., For chrissakes, he had them put 2 seconds back on the clock in the second quarter (yeah that came from Harbaugh, not the officials), and they cater to him Classic case of the "squeaky wheel".

Fisher pleads his case during timeouts, and while the officials give him his say, you can see them just giving him the courtesy of "hearing his say", then almost to a man, they completely dismiss him.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Am I mistaken, or did that flag come AFTER Cook broke free and picked up all that yardage? Because I didn't see the flag graphic until after the play was over. If that's the case, then there's no question that there's some ulterior motive to throwing it.
I was there and it was after Cook had made his move up field! Hate the refs messing with our team!

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Still scratching my head as to why Davis threw 42 times. I thought we were a running team but apparently, Schotty wants to go back to being the "Saints offense". Mason, Stacy, and Cunningham could've easily moved the chains for us despite being down by one-score while tiring the Whiners defense.

Well, because Patrick Willis was out of the game.

Or was it because we had dominated time of possession in the first half and could have just worn them out?

Or because our pass protection was so stout?

Because our running game hadn't been effective?

It was the biggest head scratcher of the night.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
The biggest positive, 11 more games to improve and then put this season to rest

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
The biggest positive is that even with all the holding by the whiners OL and Cooks OPI that wasnt, the Rams still had a chance to win. Now if they could just stop getting penalized for shit they didnt do, they could turn this thing around in a hurry.

And I agree the rooks loooked good out there, GRob played very well for his first NFL start especially when you consider who he was going up against, Justin Smith is a manster, and I dont recall hearing his name much during the game.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
That's not even the most blatant one, to me the one where they called a hold on JJ when he was nowhere near anybody to hold them was what solidified that the refs are going to do anything to screw us and they aren't going to be sneaky or about it. They'll do it on a national broadcast and they don't give a fuck who sees. How could JJ have held anybody? He was miles away from Boldin and the closest person to him was another Ram. That was a pure fabricated call all the way just in case the 9ers didn't score, the flag was even thrown the minute JJ got near the ball. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but how can you not side eye things like this and the continued phantom call trend on the Rams?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Trust me, I'm as angry as anyone but there was one big positive from that game. We saw almost all our rookies in action and they did not disappoint.

Greg Robinson definitely is raw. He had some issues with the blitz and stunts but that'll come with experience. He absolutely man-handled Justin Smith on some plays and stone-walled him numerous times in pass pro. This kid faced a top 5 3-4 DE in the NFL and gave him next to nothing. As frustrated as we have all been with his development, the kid looks like a future star at OG AT WORST. But if the range and kick-slide are there on the edge, he can be a dominating LT.

Aaron Donald still is working on his pass rushing but the guy was an absolute force in the run game. He had to have blown up at least 4-5 plays in that game behind the LOS and made numerous tackles at or behind the LOS. He was giving the 49ers OL fits all game and would have sacked Kaepernick on the TD pass if not for a blatant hold after he whooped the 49ers OL off the ball. Donald is a future star.

LaMarcus Joyner just played his best game as a pro. I don't recall any major lapses in coverage and the guy was unbelievable on special teams. He was unstoppable as a gunner. I'm telling you, this kid needs to play FS. His pursuit angles, open-field tackling, and ability to fly to the ball are second to none.

Tre Mason might just be a keeper. I had been pining for Todd Gurley lately but after seeing Mason run today, I might just rethink that. The guy needs to learn how to pass block. That's huge. But anyone that saw him run today had to be impressed. .
I've been waiting ALL DAMNED DAY for YOU to say that jrry.
Justin Smith looked like a beaten man on the sideline,that kid did a good enough job on him i noticed they just quit lining anyone up over GROB at times.
IMO he doesn't come out and I think THAT was Fishers objective to never have to bench the kid.
And yeah we're gonna play the rooks ,Mason showed well all the kids did

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Jerry, you are right about the Rooks but hope for improvement with this team prolongs my agony. It's kinda like my golf game, I probably won't enjoy it until I no longer care about success. Caring about this team and hoping for wins wrecks my whole day. I'm glad you posted this so I can change my perspective. If I think of this season as a one year training camp for the youngsters, I can enjoy watching their progress.

Good post

rams2050

Starter
There is reason for hope, guys. The refs, however, can turn real glimpses of hope into something that is fairly hopeless, in the flash of a yellow hankie.

The NFL needs professional refs, not part-timers who double, during the week, as lawyers, doctors, etc. Professionals would be constantly trying to improve themselves. They would attend classes or view film -- just like the players -- whenever they weren't out reffing. They would be held accountable for poorly called games, and praised for good officiating.

Oh, wait. This is the NFL -- or the Neverneverland Football League because professional, full-time refs are NEVER gonna happen because they would cost too much!! Sort of like how the insuring the older players for health issues that are the direct result of them having played pro football was TOO DAMNED EXPENSIVE for a league that's probably worth upwards of $100 billion.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I clicked on this thread thinking "Jrry's peeing into the win." Boy im glad you found some positives, man. I took off work today and despite the beautiful fall environment, I really felt like I had just left a funeral.

Thanks, man, made me feel better.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg

Did you see the espn's documentary "Playing for the Mob." Are you suggesting there may be an upcoming documentary "Refereeing for the Mob?"

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
The biggest positive is we didn't completely rollover right out of the gate, unlike last year's games.

The biggest negative is we still can't play two halfs and there's no evidence to support we will. This trend is all but set.

Penguin.

Rookie
It's almost laughable at how you guys think the refs are out to get the Rams. Maybe if the Rams didn't play dirty, the refs would get off them for ticky tack plays.

I do agree however that the OPI was bogus. I was certain that it was holding on the defender who impeded Cook's progress. The ref didn't know that a receiver has a right to run his route I guess.

There were some calls that should have been called on the Rams that were not. The swing at Hyde, the ball thrown at Hyde, the hold on Craig Dahl by Corey Harkey for Bam Bam's TD.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Not sure Mason ever becomes a good pass blocker, he just doesn't have the strength and his technique is sooo far behind

He still has time to develop his pass blocking/blitz pickup. Smallish RBs like Darren Sproles do it well. And if you recall SJ was bad at it in the beginning and it became a strength of his as time went on.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's almost laughable at how you guys think the refs are out to get the Rams. Maybe if the Rams didn't play dirty, the refs would get off them for ticky tack plays.

I do agree however that the OPI was bogus. I was certain that it was holding on the defender who impeded Cook's progress. The ref didn't know that a receiver has a right to run his route I guess.

There were some calls that should have been called on the Rams that were not. The swing at Hyde, the ball thrown at Hyde, the hold on Craig Dahl by Corey Harkey for Bam Bam's TD.

They weren't calling offensive holding either ways. We did hold on Bennie's TD. Although, it was Dahl. He likely would have tackled his own player anyways. The Hyde non-calls were irrelevant, they called a personal foul on the play. There also was a pass interference by JJ on Crabtree late in the game that went uncalled...but the game was out of reach.

What matters isn't the missed calls when it was out of reach but the missed/blown calls when it mattered...and those seemed to go against the Rams.

SierraRam

Recreational User
What matters isn't the missed calls when it was out of reach but the missed/blown calls when it mattered...and those seemed to go against the Rams.

Yup. Take away Cook's phantom OPI and Simms' phantom "hold", and we could be 3-2.

We're not allowed to beat Dallas or SF yet. It's time for our owner to do his part!
images

Penguin.

Rookie
I also think Simms "hold" against Dallas was a worse call than Cook's OPI. He played it perfect and got reprimanded for it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I also think Simms "hold" against Dallas was a worse call than Cook's OPI. He played it perfect and got reprimanded for it.

I think they're both equally bad. Neither did anything to warrant a flag. And both ended up being HUGE plays.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Yup. Take away Cook's phantom OPI and Simms' phantom "hold", and we could be 3-2.

We're not allowed to beat Dallas or SF yet. It's time for our owner to do his part!
images
I'm convinced the team will have to move back to LA before it will be allowed to beat SF, Dallas, Seattle on a consistent basis.