The Big Positive from SF

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trust me, I'm as angry as anyone but there was one big positive from that game. We saw almost all our rookies in action and they did not disappoint.

Greg Robinson definitely is raw. He had some issues with the blitz and stunts but that'll come with experience. He absolutely man-handled Justin Smith on some plays and stone-walled him numerous times in pass pro. This kid faced a top 5 3-4 DE in the NFL and gave him next to nothing. As frustrated as we have all been with his development, the kid looks like a future star at OG AT WORST. But if the range and kick-slide are there on the edge, he can be a dominating LT.

Aaron Donald still is working on his pass rushing but the guy was an absolute force in the run game. He had to have blown up at least 4-5 plays in that game behind the LOS and made numerous tackles at or behind the LOS. He was giving the 49ers OL fits all game and would have sacked Kaepernick on the TD pass if not for a blatant hold after he whooped the 49ers OL off the ball. Donald is a future star.

LaMarcus Joyner just played his best game as a pro. I don't recall any major lapses in coverage and the guy was unbelievable on special teams. He was unstoppable as a gunner. I'm telling you, this kid needs to play FS. His pursuit angles, open-field tackling, and ability to fly to the ball are second to none.

Tre Mason might just be a keeper. I had been pining for Todd Gurley lately but after seeing Mason run today, I might just rethink that. The guy needs to learn how to pass block. That's huge. But anyone that saw him run today had to be impressed. Stacy was clearly hurt and had no burst at all. It was a really good contrast watching Mason and Stacy run. Mason just had so much more explosiveness and the guy runs with serious determination. He ran through two 49ers to get the first down on that catch early in the game and I saw him carry 3-4 49ers on his back on another run while driving his legs to pick up extra yardage. Once we get his pass protection issues out of the way, I really like Mason's potential. He's quick to the hole, he's decisive and he runs hard. Plus, he might have had a long TD run if not for him trying to truck Quick.

And last but not least, E.J. Gaines played another strong game. I know he gave up a TD to Crabtree but you gotta tip your hat to the route he ran on that play. Gaines really had no chance on an island. However, he nearly picked off an early pass, made a bunch of nice tackles in space, and he made a couple nice plays on the football. Gaines really looks like a steal. Janoris better get it together or else he might lose his starting job. I tend not to agree with some on Jenkins, he's been a stud for us this year...but today, he was atrocious. There was no excuse for him to gamble on that long TD to Lloyd. If he continues to make selfish plays like that, Gaines will take his job.

On a final note, I'll also say that I think Tavon Austin played really well today. Some of you might disagree but I thought he really came out and made the most of every chance he was given. I don't think he's far from that corner if the Rams give him a chance to turn it.

fancents86

Starter
GRob did a great job against an elite player like justin smith for his nfl appearance. Tre mason was also very nice to see do very well. I would like to have seen watts out there a little, but that's nit picking.

jjab360

Legend
I want to think positive, but sadly it seems like a recurring theme lately for our rookie class to come out and make a big impact and then completely fall off the map the next year.

According to recent history, this might be the best we ever see these guys play.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Really glad you can see some positive light in this sea of negativity looming around the Rams right now.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
On a final note, I'll also say that I think Tavon Austin played really well today. Some of you might disagree but I thought he really came out and made the most of every chance he was given. I don't think he's far from that corner if the Rams give him a chance to turn it.

You can really see the difference in Bradford and Davis on the throws to Tavon. He was hit big a couple times today on his receptions. That's the only thing I'm worried about with him going forward.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I agree with all of that.

I just don't think the NFL will let the Rams win much this season. You watch the Rams and the calls are BEYOND F'n suspicious.

I almost didn't watch tonight. I posted on The Huddle what I thought would happen as I have hardly been online the past 3 weeks and wanted to get it on record.

Played almost exactly as I said.

I mean, if that Offensive PI call on Cook which was the textbook way a TE is supposed to run that route wasn't the most bogus call... well, I dunno. It seems every game we are given at least 2 or 3 calls so egregious that they deserve a letter of apology from the league.

Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread.

Totally agree that the new guys are showing up.

With our top 5 pick, we should be in a great position to get yet another great batch of new guys next season... crap, sorry...doing it again...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You can really see the difference in Bradford and Davis on the throws to Tavon. He was hit big a couple times today on his receptions. That's the only thing I'm worried about with him going forward.

Yea, it's a fair point. Although I loved seeing Tavon drop the shoulder and run over a 49er at the end of one of his runs. Was funny. The 49er player definitely didn't expect it.

Really glad you can see some positive light in this sea of negativity looming around the Rams right now.

Oh, trust me, I'm not seeing much from the team perspective. I just like to try and look at things from the individual player perspective and I felt those guys all played good games today.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with all of that.

I just don't think the NFL will let the Rams win much this season. You watch the Rams and the calls are BEYOND F'n suspicious.

I almost didn't watch tonight. I posted on The Huddle what I thought would happen as I have hardly been online the past 3 weeks and wanted to get it on record.

Played almost exactly as I said.

I mean, if that Offensive PI call on Cook which was the textbook way a TE is supposed to run that route wasn't the most bogus call... well, I dunno. It seems every game we are given at least 2 or 3 calls so egregious that they deserve a letter of apology from the league.

Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread.

Totally agree that the new guys are showing up.

With our top 5 pick, we should be in a great position to get yet another great batch of new guys next season... crap, sorry...doing it again...

Mack, I'm in the same boat. That OPI call is inexcusable and it really does make you think things that would be labeled conspiracy theories. It wasn't even borderline. You can call holding on most plays so the refs can alter the outcome by flagging it when they want to...but that play just wasn't even close. There's no excuse for what that ref flagged. It was as clean of a play as you can get. And it completely changed the game. If I were Fisher, I wouldn't pull punches this week. I'd play that video for the media and tell them that my team got screwed by a suspicious call. I'd question that ref's motives openly.

I really wonder if he had money on this game.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Mack, I'm in the same boat. That OPI call is inexcusable and it really does make you think things that would be labeled conspiracy theories. It wasn't even borderline. You can call holding on most plays so the refs can alter the outcome by flagging it when they want to...but that play just wasn't even close. There's no excuse for what that ref flagged. It was as clean of a play as you can get. And it completely changed the game. If I were Fisher, I wouldn't pull punches this week. I'd play that video for the media and tell them that my team got screwed by a suspicious call. I'd question that ref's motives openly.

I really wonder if he had money on this game.
Am I mistaken, or did that flag come AFTER Cook broke free and picked up all that yardage? Because I didn't see the flag graphic until after the play was over. If that's the case, then there's no question that there's some ulterior motive to throwing it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Am I mistaken, or did that flag come AFTER Cook broke free and picked up all that yardage? Because I didn't see the flag graphic until after the play was over. If that's the case, then there's no question that there's some ulterior motive to throwing it.

I don't know when it came. I just know that it was an inexcusable flag. It's hard to believe there wasn't a motive behind it. It's just THAT suspicious. You can't make that sort of mistake. It wasn't even a questionable play. There was no judgement call to it. It was clean as a whistle. It's just hard to look at that play and think there wasn't motive.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
When they put up the flag graphic isn't always indicative of when the flag is thrown, unfortunately. And I watched it a few times and none of the angles caught the ref who threw the flag, so I couldn't tell when it was thrown. If anyone was there, they might know, but otherwise, only the all-22 would show it, I think...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When they put up the flag graphic isn't always indicative of when the flag is thrown, unfortunately. And I watched it a few times and none of the angles caught the ref who threw the flag, so I couldn't tell when it was thrown. If anyone was there, they might know, but otherwise, only the all-22 would show it, I think...

I'll check when the game comes out tomorrow or Wednesday on Coach's film. Because now I'm curious.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Trust me, I'm as angry as anyone but there was one big positive from that game. We saw almost all our rookies in action and they did not disappoint.

Greg Robinson definitely is raw. He had some issues with the blitz and stunts but that'll come with experience. He absolutely man-handled Justin Smith on some plays and stone-walled him numerous times in pass pro. This kid faced a top 5 3-4 DE in the NFL and gave him next to nothing. As frustrated as we have all been with his development, the kid looks like a future star at OG AT WORST. But if the range and kick-slide are there on the edge, he can be a dominating LT.

Aaron Donald still is working on his pass rushing but the guy was an absolute force in the run game. He had to have blown up at least 4-5 plays in that game behind the LOS and made numerous tackles at or behind the LOS. He was giving the 49ers OL fits all game and would have sacked Kaepernick on the TD pass if not for a blatant hold after he whooped the 49ers OL off the ball. Donald is a future star.

LaMarcus Joyner just played his best game as a pro. I don't recall any major lapses in coverage and the guy was unbelievable on special teams. He was unstoppable as a gunner. I'm telling you, this kid needs to play FS. His pursuit angles, open-field tackling, and ability to fly to the ball are second to none.

Tre Mason might just be a keeper. I had been pining for Todd Gurley lately but after seeing Mason run today, I might just rethink that. The guy needs to learn how to pass block. That's huge. But anyone that saw him run today had to be impressed. Stacy was clearly hurt and had no burst at all. It was a really good contrast watching Mason and Stacy run. Mason just had so much more explosiveness and the guy runs with serious determination. He ran through two 49ers to get the first down on that catch early in the game and I saw him carry 3-4 49ers on his back on another run while driving his legs to pick up extra yardage. Once we get his pass protection issues out of the way, I really like Mason's potential. He's quick to the hole, he's decisive and he runs hard. Plus, he might have had a long TD run if not for him trying to truck Quick.

And last but not least, E.J. Gaines played another strong game. I know he gave up a TD to Crabtree but you gotta tip your hat to the route he ran on that play. Gaines really had no chance on an island. However, he nearly picked off an early pass, made a bunch of nice tackles in space, and he made a couple nice plays on the football. Gaines really looks like a steal. Janoris better get it together or else he might lose his starting job. I tend not to agree with some on Jenkins, he's been a stud for us this year...but today, he was atrocious. There was no excuse for him to gamble on that long TD to Lloyd. If he continues to make selfish plays like that, Gaines will take his job.

What do we do to maximize all this young talent?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
[QUOT E= -X-, post: 423960, member: 2"]Am I mistaken, or did that flag come AFTER Cook broke free and picked up all that yardage? Because I didn't see the flag graphic until after the play was over. If that's the case, then there's no question that there's some ulterior motive to throwing it.[/QUOTE]

Not a mistake

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The run d was improved.
The D hits hard.
The pass pro is not good enough.

We have a ways to go.
That nut job in Dallas has it right. Build a dominant o line and score points.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Do we also have to get the Head of Officiating on a party bus filled with hookers and booze?

I'm just askin'... I dunno how far Kroenke's willing to go to win. We KNOW how far Jerruh's willing to go...

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I was getting ready to post a thread about positives and I decided to look and see if one already existed. Had to make it to page 2, but I'm glad to see there was one.

I'm pretty dejected right now but I wanted to try and say some positive things - so here goes.

The gunners on the punt team were good - Bailey and Joyner, as I recall. Its not like we were punting to Devin Hester back there, but still, good coverage. Blocking schemes to get a punt off will have to be discussed in a different thread.

The running game was good - especially Mason, Bam Bam, and Tavon. Stacy was off his game last night - but the Rams O Line did some things in the running game. I wish I would have seen a whole lot more of it.

Run defense was good - but to a fault. They sold out to stop Gore and Hyde and left the flats wide open.

Hmmmm ... what else .......

The throwbacks were fun to see.

This sucks.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Still scratching my head as to why Davis threw 42 times. I thought we were a running team but apparently, Schotty wants to go back to being the "Saints offense". Mason, Stacy, and Cunningham could've easily moved the chains for us despite being down by one-score while tiring the Whiners defense.

TexasRam

Legend
Agree on most Jrry.

But..
Not sure Mason ever becomes a good pass blocker, he just doesn't have the strength and his technique is sooo far behind. His running is exciting to see. Especially now that we have Gron in there.

Donald will be a key to turn this franchise around. All pro written all over him. Never loses a battle and impacts both run and pass. Regime got that pick right.

Disagree on JJ. I think it's unfair people say he was being selfish. I see him trying to stay with Lloyd. So he can make a play on the ball and or be in position for the tackle.

It is not JJ's fault there was no deep help. Imagine if
He had earl thomas back there. All these deep routes would be covered and he could actually play the ball like he is supposed to. Mcloud is the issue from where I stand.

Joyner to safety immediately please.

Ej Gaines is still playing great.

The positives is we are stacked with talent and had a great draft the way it looks right now.

Negatives -coaching and officiating.