The Big 5 !!!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
At the end of the Hags game , Jamon Brown had a couple lapses. A big holdingncall & a false start. What I'll say about that is he gets soft at times , But imo will get tougher. He is a high character guy when pushed.

Whitworth also let Clark get by him for a big fumble.He had his hands full , but McVay didn't help things.

Right now though the guy on The Rams who is the most Queit is Roger Saffold.
He was playing at an All/Pro level !! He is starting to really step up his game .

John Sullivan was a perfect piece to fill in the Big 5 puzzle.

Big Rob has really helped control the RT edge. Going against Bennett he basically shut him down.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
For me it's the big one.

Gurley

He has to take pressure off Goff and the passing game .. he has to give the passing game some running room ( pun intended )

By hook or by crook he has gonna have to gain some yards and prove his rookie year wasn't a fluke

Looks like that is the case so far this season coming into the bye week.

That last drive against Arizona showed pure dominance from the offensive line. Malcom Brown showed himself really well.

The Big 5 are solid !! Look around the NFL & what just happened to Carson Palmer,Aaron Rodgers.
Look at how Cam has up & down games because of the O'Line, along with Atlanta.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The beef is aging well! Yes there are one offs where somebody has a bad play but the line as a whole are doing great. While Whitworthmay be a team MVP and our best offseason acquisition the signings of Sullivan and Blythe can be ignored. Blythe in particular has been great off the bench in relief of Sully. With Blythe being a second year man he may be the long term answer there if he's impressed Kromer as much as he has us.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I thought Brown would be a road grader, meh, and he can't pass block worth crap. DCs are moving their best guys all over the board more than ever. Why bother with their shutdown OLT when your best DE can beat Havenstein at will. HIS FEET ARE TOO SLOW. Nothing's changed since he was drafted other than he's now a marked man.

Is that still your take on Hav ?? That was the preseason. Kromer had them cross train in case of injury.

The Big 5 are a solid bunch.

It's nice to see Austin Blythe is a good back up center.Showing that The Rams are in good shape at a position believed to be a weakness coming into the 2017 season.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He was ok last year.
Better than either Hav or Brown.
He hasn't been on the field for the new coaches and they kept him, so....

I guess that means The Rams have a solid backup if they need him ? He gets to bulk up which will only make him better when called upon.
Donnal needs to keep getting stronger. He has the tools(skills)to be a starter in the NFL.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah but the HAIR. The strength is in his HAIR.

All kidding aside, it has been frustrating seeing the o-line struggles the past decade. As Ram fans we were pretty spoiled through the '70s and '80s with dominant walls, and for a time during the GSOT years. Whitworth fits in well with guys like Dennis Harrah, Tom Mack, Slater, Saul, Pace and Timmerman. Studs. We need to get that right side fixed boys.

That is why The Kromers were brought in. They also were together at the Senior Bowl & Combine. They went through game tape from the young Rams & decided they were as good as any of the Offensive Lineman coming out in the 2017 draft. I know a lot of fans were upset for drafting Everett & trading back to get John Johnson.
John Johnson was a Wade guy & Everett was a McVay guy. Snead made the call to trade back & get the extra pick.

I think The Rams organization is in good shape. They all respect each other & have done a great job in there evaluation. They are not afraid to cut a guy like Mo Alexander for the better meant of the team.

They have also supported Westbrooks,Thomas,& Troy Hill through there personal mistakes. The we are family is a song I used to enjoy at games. Disco has sort of died , but The Rams playoff hopes has just come Alive !!

Staying Alive !!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Right side is pretty suspect but hopefully Brown and Havenstein will improve with time. I expect more TE help on there until they've shown they can hold on their own.

I think it was just giving them time to grow. The right side has been pretty solid. Big Rob had been battling injury.
Brown was young & not as strong as he should have been. I think keeping at one spot & The Big 5 being a consistent squad.
The veterans is what the young players needed. Even for a guy like Roger Saffold learning how to be a successful O'Line.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Jamon has been getting better. Our offense will go as far as our big uglies will take us.

5-2. With Gurley having for 100 yard games out of like 5.

Malcom Brown coming in late against Arizona to finish off the game. Real strong performance.

After the bye week things should only get better. Dallas showed how a bye week can help going forward.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The BIG 5 We Trust !!

I think it should be called The Big Six.

Aaron Kromer
Offensive Line

Kromer_Aaron-nfl_thumb_128_83.jpg

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't see anywhere on the offensive line that doesn't need to stay "okay".

By all the changes they are making on the bottom of the roster and all the guys they released and the guys they are bringing in?

I fear we are paper-thin on the O line and one injury away from putting in a guy with third string abilities that doesn't really know the full offense.

Aaron Blythe has shown that he is a solid backup center.

I like the fact Withworth,Sullivan, & Barwin get veteran days off on Wednesday days. My Guess is Darrell Williams is getting some good first team reps in as well.
I think it helps the growth of younger players

Samson Embukam is going to be a core player.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think it should be called The Big Six.

Aaron Kromer
Offensive Line

Kromer_Aaron-nfl_thumb_128_83.jpg

Good call. I think his son Zak Kromer does an excellent job as well. That is the beauty of Sean McVays(Rams) coaching staff. Mixing veteran coaches with a younger group.

Keeping Andy Dickerson was cool to see as well.

Higbee has been a project of his as well.They really work the TE's to the group as well. I also think just the way The Big 5 has stayed tight as a unit. When on the sideline they bring it together. There is a lot of support.

I liked Copper Kupp's TD. Whitworth made a good block & was happy to see Kupp scored. Having player makers on the team really helps.

Sammy Watkins is going to have a breakout game very soon.

---My reason for calling them The Big 5 is because they are a unit that should be the core of The Rams offense. It all starters up front & The health & continuity is what I believed this group was going to bring to The Rams offense.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I completely forgot about saffold. He never gets mentioned, which is a good thing considering his past. Props to Saffold.

fearsomefour

Legend
I guess that means The Rams have a solid backup if they need him ? He gets to bulk up which will only make him better when called upon.
Donnal needs to keep getting stronger. He has the tools(skills)to be a starter in the NFL.
Undecided about Donnal.
Haven't seen enough of him and haven't seen him with this staff/offense.
They (new staff) have managed to save both Brown and Havenstein to this point. No small accomplishment as Brown in particular looked incapable of playing at NFL level last year.
Hopefully the same magic is there with Donnal.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I completely forgot about saffold. He never gets mentioned, which is a good thing considering his past. Props to Saffold.

I think he is almost playing at a pro bowl level. If The Rams(which they should) , win the NFC West ? To offensive lineman will be at least alternates. Whitworth is almost a given starter .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Undecided about Donnal.
Haven't seen enough of him and haven't seen him with this staff/offense.
They (new staff) have managed to save both Brown and Havenstein to this point. No small accomplishment as Brown in particular looked incapable of playing at NFL level last year.
Hopefully the same magic is there with Donnal.

That's true about Donnal, but Darrell Williams is a player I think will keep getting better. It's amazing how young he is.
The foundation is being built right now. I think the offensive lineman take awhile to develop there strength & core. It's not an easy position, but being prepared while waiting does not hurt a players confidence. There is a big mental aspect that goes into it.
The fundamentals are a huge parts of what Kromer teaches.It's a good thing we haven't seen Donnal. Jamon Brown has really raised his level of play.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I know a lot of fans were upset for drafting Everett
Not upset....thought there was better value for our squad in the offensive line in the 2nd round. Everett has caught several passes...seems to be a nice player....still not as good as the injured Forrest Lamp....imo...I'm still not impressed with any TE's blocking...

Jamon Brown had a pretty good game yesterday....nice write up on him in PFF...check it out. Not listed?!? oh well...

Saffold is the man...Whitworth's best game as a Ram...Without Calais Campbell...that defense is garbage. I thought Dockett was the beast...it was Campbell.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Has anyone ever seen Whitworth put flat on his back this season? Guy never seems to get knocked off his feet..

Can't say enough about Blythe. Porps big guy! OL never missed a beat when he came in for Sully.

Rams would have none of the success they are having now without the improved play of this OL. If they stay healthy the Rams are going to win more games.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looks like they did OK here. I'm sure it would have been better though if some others were allowed to pick our starters on OLine :D

QCRCWdK.jpg

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Not upset....thought there was better value for our squad in the offensive line in the 2nd round. Everett has caught several passes...seems to be a nice player....still not as good as the injured Forrest Lamp....imo...I'm still not impressed with any TE's blocking...

Jamon Brown had a pretty good game yesterday....nice write up on him in PFF...check it out. Not listed?!? oh well...

Saffold is the man...Whitworth's best game as a Ram...Without Calais Campbell...that defense is garbage. I thought Dockett was the beast...it was Campbell.

Campbell is fun to watch. The Jags needed his leadership.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Looks like they did OK here. I'm sure it would have been better though if some others were allowed to pick our starters on OLine :D

QCRCWdK.jpg

Damn that's a big hole. -- thanks

Does Big Rob Hav ahold of to defensive players ?

Last edited: