The Big 5 !!!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The BIG 5 We Trust !!

LT Andrew Whitworth-- Brings great leadership & a all-pro type of game.

LG Roger Saffold -- brings veteran type of play to help solidify the left side of the line.

C John Sullivan-- brings knowledge of McVays system & support to the young O'lineman. He is the eyes of the line & excellent play caller formations.

RG Jamon Brown -- going into his 3rd year as a 3rd rd pick. He should bring upside.A player I see getting better each day under The Kromers .I think he will play with more of a toughness .

RT -- Bob Rob Havenstein -- Has the perfect frame for RT.Needs to work on balance against the pass rush.Has those long arms to help create a solid pocket for Goff( who needs take shorter steps) from fast edge rushers. Is a excellent run blocker.

The Big 5 is just what Ram fans have wanted for years .

--A solid cohesive Offensive Line !!

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For me it's the big one.

Gurley

He has to take pressure off Goff and the passing game .. he has to give the passing game some running room ( pun intended )

By hook or by crook he has gonna have to gain some yards and prove his rookie year wasn't a fluke

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
For me it's the big one.

Gurley

He has to take pressure off Goff and the passing game .. he has to give the passing game some running room ( pun intended )

By hook or by crook he has gonna have to gain some yards and prove his rookie year wasn't a fluke

I'll take the Raiders game as an example.Gurley turned a 2 yard gain into a 9 yard gain by keeping his legs moving.The offensive line helped push him forward.

Davies shows up great on seeing holes well & Brown is a power back Faulk likes.

Gurley needs to be solid in pass protection. He works really hard on his hands. He will have 30 catches easy.
--Don't forget Tavon Austin & 3 TE sets.

Play action will start to work. I love the draw. ---NE with Faulk on 3rd downs. It can be a safe & effective way to play call. Especially with a great Wade Phillips defense.

TexasRam

Legend
Watching last years o-line was like

giphy.gif

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If the left side stays healthy I feel strongly everything will be okay as I have confidence in Havenstein and I'm hoping Brown evolves. I expect the Rams to make at the very minimum one waiver claim today for an offensive lineman, most likely Greco or perhaps Eric Winston if he has anything left.

fearsomefour

Legend
Theee out of five ain't bad....at least better than it's been.
I'd pick up Austin Howard (if healthy enough) and put him at RT.
The fact the Rams kept Donnal....who the coaches haven't seen play in this system....says a lot about his thin the depth is.
At the least Howard gives better depth at RT.
In reality I think Havenstein would be replaced at RT in that scenario. When Donnal is back I think he will end up replacing either Havenstein or Brown. Probably Donnal going to RT and Havenstein moving inside to RG like Kromer wanted originally.
I would love to be proven wrong, but, I don't have faith in that right side at this point.
We shall see soon enough.

Ram65

Legend
If the left side stays healthy I feel strongly everything will be okay as I have confidence in Havenstein and I'm hoping Brown evolves. I expect the Rams to make at the very minimum one waiver claim today for an offensive lineman, most likely Greco or perhaps Eric Winston if he has anything left.

Greco, Winston and Alex Boone types I was just thinking that these players would be free agents. I think I read that somewhere recently because they are veterans with certain amount of time. They can make deal with any team.

This is a little old but I think still the same rule,

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/2/3/5351372/2014-nfl-waiver-wire-how-it-works-guide
Who has to go through waivers?
Remember when I mentioned "four accrued seasons" above? That's important. Any player with at least four accrued seasons is considered a "vested veteran" and is not subjected to the waiver process. Vested veterans become a free agent immediately upon their release and can sign with any team of their choosing. The NFL defines an accrued season as one in which a player appeared on the active 53-man roster for at least six games. Players with fewer than four accrued seasons must pass through the 24-hour waiver period, after which they too become a free agent.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I would love to get a veteran RG to slide next to Havenstein, I think he'd improve more, and the right side as a whole should improve greatly.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Those are 2 solid veterans. I think maybe the beauty in this group is they can less Lineman on the roster?

Then depth may play apart.

How does chosing the practice squad work ? Les & McVay talk about pick number 5 ?? Do those players have to go on the 53 from the start ? If you cut a player then they clear waivers. At that point can whose right is it to choose ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The fact the Rams kept Donnal....who the coaches haven't seen play in this system....says a lot about his thin the depth is.
In reality I think Havenstein would be replaced at RT in that scenario. When Donnal is back I think he will end up replacing either Havenstein or Brown. Probably Donnal going to RT and Havenstein moving inside to RG like Kromer wanted originally.
I would love to be proven wrong, but, I don't have faith in that right side at this point.

To each his own . Like the opinion, but I feel strong about The Big 5 . I maybe proven wrong as well.

I think if you go back to the Chargers game . Brown was taken out with the starters & replaced by whichmann who got cut. Havensteun was still playing RT though. -- I'm drawing my view of Brown vs Havenstein off that.

--Agree with Donnal , but then again feel he is a guy The Rams really for depth. He has been Versatel in the past.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Believe if J Brown plays at an average level, we will have a good line--but he looks worse than his rookie year. imo

Never believed in Donnal as a player, and still don't--how is he injured....like Spruce..come on....out for 6 weeks or so....how is he going to play? Donnal doesn't have NFL strength in my opinion, and avg feet at best.

I love Boone and Greco, but they are probably slowed down quite a bit....but maybe game 3-4 they could be ready?

fearsomefour

Legend
To each his own . Like the opinion, but I feel strong about The Big 5 . I maybe proven wrong as well.

I think if you go back to the Chargers game . Brown was taken out with the starters & replaced by whichmann who got cut. Havensteun was still playing RT though. -- I'm drawing my view of Brown vs Havenstein off that.

--Agree with Donnal , but then again feel he is a guy The Rams really for depth. He has been Versatel in the past.
Makes sense.
Hav was left at RT when the others called it a night in all three games he played I think.
Lots more reps.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Makes sense.
Hav was left at RT when the others called it a night in all three games he played I think.
Lots more reps.

But that was always with Brown except for the last game (Chargers) the starters played . That is why I think Brown is safer than Havenstein as a starter.

--Still I'm calling them The Big 5 .

Will all see how it works out. I think the majority of Ram fans have way to much doubt. This is a new Regime regime .

Last edited:

bdfitz

UDFA
I thought Brown would be a road grader, meh, and he can't pass block worth crap. DCs are moving their best guys all over the board more than ever. Why bother with their shutdown OLT when your best DE can beat Havenstein at will. HIS FEET ARE TOO SLOW. Nothing's changed since he was drafted other than he's now a marked man.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm going to purposefully misinterpret the thread title and name my big 5 in terms of players who must have a high performance 16 game season in order to turn this whole thing around in the win column. In order:

1. Goff
2. Whitworth
3. Gurley
4. Quinn
5. Watkins

TexasRam

Legend
I thought Brown would be a road grader, meh, and he can't pass block worth crap. DCs are moving their best guys all over the board more than ever. Why bother with their shutdown OLT when your best DE can beat Havenstein at will. HIS FEET ARE TOO SLOW. Nothing's changed since he was drafted other than he's now a marked man.

Brown pass blocked well in the Raiders game for the entire first half. He went one on one In pass pro vs Khalil Mack more than once and stood up well.

Brown offers more push in the run game then probably any of our Olineman. He just can't stay engaged as long as the others.

Havenstein will need help by TE's and RB's vs the speed rush. Otherwise he will be fine. Mcvay will need to scheme this.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't get the Donnal love. the only times I have seen him in real games, he looks like a puny guy by NFL Oline standards...He doesn't seem like a real NFL player to me.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Believe if J Brown plays at an average level, we will have a good line--but he looks worse than his rookie year. imo

Never believed in Donnal as a player, and still don't--how is he injured....like Spruce..come on....out for 6 weeks or so....how is he going to play? Donnal doesn't have NFL strength in my opinion, and avg feet at best.

I love Boone and Greco, but they are probably slowed down quite a bit....but maybe game 3-4 they could be ready?

I think your TOTALLY wrong about Jamon Brown . His pass protection his been excellent in preseason.

Andrew Donnal- I have same concern , but he has changed his body & is a lot stronger.