The 5 teams that have no chance to make the NFL playoffs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/5-nfl-teams-no-chance-to-make-the-playoffs-090216

The 5 teams that have no chance to make the NFL playoffs

By Brett Smiley @brettsmiley Sep 02, 2016 1:45p ET
chicago-bears-v-new-england-patriots.vadapt.767.high.46.jpg

As always, there’s always next year
For a much more hopeful projection of the teams that are locks to make the playoffs, check out my colleague Cameron DaSilva’s story here. It covers established teams with proven quarterbacks who can carry an offense. They’ve got leaders and playmakers on both sides of the football.

On the other hand, the arrow is not pointing down for all of the teams that appear below. But they’re all in challenging rebuild situations, face rough schedules, and for a variety of other seasons, won’t be playing January football this year. Photo: Darren McCollester
Chicago Bears
The selection of the Bears here is the most likely to end up on @FreezingColdTakes. But Chicago just has too many weaknesses as it continues to rebuild under general manager Ryan Pace and head coach John Fox. The defense was devastatingly bad against the run last season (ranked dead last per Football Outsiders) and not much better against the pass. The Bears spent three draft picks to retool their secondary and acquired inside linebackers Danny Trevathan from Denver and Jerrell Freeman from Indianapolis to shore up the middle, so the defense should become less porous. But with Matt Forte gone, the rushing attack has a very inexperienced, unproven backfield.

The main impediment is the Bears’ division. Green Bay is the heavy favorite to claim the NFC North again, the Vikings will be competitive despite the loss of Teddy Bridgewater and the Detroit Lions have what looks like a .500 squad or better. The NFC West will produce one Wild Card team (Seahawks or Cardinals), leaving just one spot for the Bears to claim. Not this season. Photo: Stacy Revere
Tennessee Titans
They’re improving, no doubt, but head coach Mike Mularkey’s “exotic smashmouth” Titans offense is not going to solve the league this year. The AFC South is one of the most winnable divisions in football, but the Texans might have fixed their quarterback problem, the Colts have a healthy Andrew Luck and decided to build him an offensive line, and the Jaguars are ascending from the depths of misery. Tennessee also got a tough draw with four games against the AFC West and NFC North squads.

Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau has his work cut out for him with one of the league’s worst defenses(30th per Football Outsiders’ DVOA) that didn’t improve much in the offseason. Preseason is preseason, but in its first three contents, the first-team defense got burned for opening possession touchdowns by the Chargers (44 yard touchdown pass to Melvin Gordon, Panthers (61 yard touchdown pass to Ted Ginn) and Raiders (7 yard touchdown pass to DeAndre Washington). Photo: Half Length/Frederick Breedon
Los Angeles Rams
The Rams will start Case Keenum and eventually rookie quarterback Jared Goff in a brutal division against the third most difficult strength of schedule behind an underwhelming offensive line. Todd Gurley can’t do everything. The perpetually 7-9 Jeff Fisher will be lucky to pick up another seven wins in the team's first season back in Los Angeles.

The defensive line is dominant with DT Aaron Donald and DE Robert Quinn, but the secondary lost two of its top two starters in the offseason with the departures of free safety Rodney McLeod and longball-prone playmaking cornerback Janoris Jenkins. The Rams will be competitive most weeks but simply don’t have enough horses to contend for the NFC West crown right now.
Cleveland Browns
The good news is that Cleveland amassed 14 draft picks and delivered an influx of youth into the organization. The bad news is that a very shaky pass defense lost its best defender, Pro Bowl free safety Tashaun Gipson, to the Jaguars after a season in which it allowed opposing passers a 101.8 rating (29th in league) and 8.2 yards per attempt (31st in league). Can new coach Hue Jackson successfully rebuild Robert Griffin III? It’s a tall task and looked like it might be impossible after RG3 absorbed five sacks in one half against the Bucs this preseason -- a combination of wobbly protection and holding the ball too long. With the Steelers and Bengals, the NFC North has two major contenders for the AFC title. At least the Browns no longer have to worry about Johnny Manziel’s whereabouts. Photo: Larry Brown / Larry Brown Sports / Yardbarker
San Francisco 49ers
The story of the entire preseason has not been about the quality of the 49ers’ play, rather, it has been quarterback Colin Kaepernick’s controversial decision to sit (and kneel) during the National Anthem in a continued protest of social inequality and police brutality against minorities. He may have earned his roster spot with a solid performance against the Chargers on Thursday night, but Blaine Gabbert will start and that’s not a good thing.

Chip Kelly has to turn around a team that struggled everywhere last season, has a shaky offensive line outside of left tackle Joe Staley, has no real receiving threat outside of Torrey Smith, and faces the league’s toughest strength of schedule. Kelly also has to get his players to buy in to his high-tempo offense that heavily taxes both offensive and defensive players. Eagles players, many of whom detested Kelly per an NJ.com report, were not sad to see him go. Photo: John Hefti

So let it be written.So let it be done.
Brett Smiley can suck a big fat one.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I'd be willing to bet the 1999 Rams were on this list Preseason wk 4 that year.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I'm so looking forward to re-posting this during our post-season run.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I disagree with the Rams and Bears.

Teams i'd add are New Orleans, San Diego, Miami and Minnesota.

A55VA6

Legend
lol people always put us at the bottom of the NFL. I guess we'll see what happens..

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I think McLeod could retire now and be voted into the hall of fame in 5 years just based in the myth of how good he is, now that he is no longer a Ram. As a Ram, he was completely ignored.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Los Angeles Rams
The Rams will start Case Keenum and eventually rookie quarterback Jared Goff in a brutal division against the third most difficult strength of schedule behind an underwhelming offensive line. Todd Gurley can’t do everything. The perpetually 7-9 Jeff Fisher will be lucky to pick up another seven wins in the team's first season back in Los Angeles.

The defensive line is dominant with DT Aaron Donald and DE Robert Quinn, but the secondary lost two of its top two starters in the offseason with the departures of free safety Rodney McLeod and longball-prone playmaking cornerback Janoris Jenkins. The Rams will be competitive most weeks but simply don’t have enough horses to contend for the NFC West crown right now.
Another none believer, who doesn't know Crap about our Team!!

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
Pretty silly concept, considering how surprising a football season can be. Remember last year when the Pathers were going to suck, coming off an 8 win year with no receivers and a bunch of questions on defense? Or how about the superbowl when no one gave the Broncos a chance to usurp the all-but crowned kings (those same Panthers)?

Just more hyperbole. Not even well-imagined or original. Bleh.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I understand all the doubt toward the rams, but I dont get why everyone has to mention them being in a tough division as if they havent been above .500 in the division every season since Fisher got here. Lazy journalism

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even if Goff doesn't start..Correct me if I'm wrong, but Keenum has a winning record with the Rams as the starter, right? One of his losses is WITHOUT Freaking Todd Gurley in a meaningless game against Frisco, two games in a row ON THE ROAD, right?

Hey SMILEY BOY.....STFU!!!!!!!!:gtfo::gtfo::gtfo::gtfo::gtfo::gtfo::gtfo::gtfo::gtfo::gtfo::gtfo::gtfo::gtfo::gtfo:

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
lol people always put us at the bottom of the NFL. I guess we'll see what happens..

I love my Rams and I want them to win, and I think we'll be 10-6 this year, HOWEVER the people putting us at the bottom of the NFL have been correct for the last 10 years. Ouch.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
The Houston Oilers 5x...(sarcasm) Anyone on the 35 teams in this league can win it...

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I think that this has as much to do with who is coaching the team than anything else.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I think the group think of the media will take a shot at the Rams any chance they get. The hatred is palpable.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think McLeod could retire now and be voted into the hall of fame in 5 years just based in the myth of how good he is, now that he is no longer a Ram. As a Ram, he was completely ignored.
LOL, perfect.
So true.
I was bummed he left but all of sudden he is Ronnie Lott.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think the group think of the media will take a shot at the Rams any chance they get. The hatred is palpable.
Not hatred.
Indifference. The press are generally lazy and the Rams have not given them a reason to think differently.
List the Patriots, Steelers, Packers on the short list to go to the super bowl every year and you look smart. Easy.

Athos

Legend

And they've been proven correct for the last what, dozen years?

This isn't exactly a prediction fans should be panty bunched about.

1. It's a Fisher team
2. Keenum
3. It's the Rams
4. Had, on average, one of the very worst Os for years with the worst passing attack ever witnessed.
5. It's the Rams

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
LOL, perfect.
So true.
I was bummed he left but all of sudden he is Ronnie Lott.
Yeah. The Rams are being treated like the SF Bay Area media have always treated us: Marginalized, mocked or ignored.

Now that McLeod is no longer a Ram, it is hip to OVER state his talent, this time to quietly MOCK the Rams for not resigning him.

I'm on to their ass.