Thank God we got guys who can draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Outside of the 2012 second round, Fisher and Snead have shown the ability to kill the draft. Now the 2014 class hasn't played a down in the NFL, so this could end up being a disastrous class, but as someone who follows the draft closely I can't complain about this draft. We have a young stacked roster. If we don't have a top 5 defense I will be disappointed. Can't wait to watch this team play. We are building a perennial contender. Good feeling.

Being in this division and with our schedule, it may or may not be this year. But we're definitely on our way!!

iced

Excactly.

I love what we have added but I don't see much improvement in the passing game unless Quick, Givens or the like are ready for a break out year.

exactly, unless Tavon turns into a monster receiver or the rest of the others morph into something they haven't shown thus far (I'd settle for starting caliber), I don't think we'll overtake the niners, Cards, and Seahawks. Granted injuries change things as well as player development - but as of right now, i fear we'll be able to make that leap. I need to see vast improvement at WR - I think the defense *should* improve but nothings a for sure thing...especially with new rookie growing pains

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't think we'll overtake the niners, Cards, and Seahawks. Granted injuries change things as well as player development - but as of right now, i fear we'll be able to make that leap.
Don't be afraid. Just let it happen. ;)

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I need to see what happens with Britt and either way, how this pass offense looks. Don't kid yourself if we can't throw it we won't be successful but I hold out hope.

I really like the D, concern there is the back end but we drafted a slew of players so hopefully one or 2 can play.

All in all we certainly got better this weekend.

I thought the pass offense was fine last year before Sam got hurt when we finally got the run going and the play-action sorted out - and stopped trying to run Tavon Austin on a bubble screen every play...

I think the guys in charge know this - and have decided to play to our strengths with this draft - road grading tackle to help the O-line even further - another bruising running back to add to the stable - and again the improved D.

Add to that our receiving corps being 1 year older and hopefully healthy - with the addition of Britt who has the talent to be a #1 receiver (even if he wont work out great - who knows).

What hurt us last year was stupid penalties - terrible field position - drops at bad times on 3rd down - Sam Bradford being injured - inexperienced secondary - and two notable games (off the top of my head) where we couldn't stop the run.

We've addressed every one of those areas (hopefully!) with the offseason moves (and I'm including staff/coaching changes as well which should make a difference) EXCEPT - for the secondary. Safety remains a concern because Rodney McLeod is basically just passable as a starter in this league.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Before Fish and Snead now was the time we we're trying to convince ourselves the picks our dipshit FO made were good.

"Sure there were 800 players on the board ranked higher than him, but I can see why they picked this guy. It becomes even more glaringly obvious after I take a swig from this second fifth I'm about to go through. Rams are going places." *Buuuuurp*

crazyhorns

Rookie
I need to see what happens with Britt and either way, how this pass offense looks. Don't kid yourself if we can't throw it we won't be successful but I hold out hope.

I really like the D, concern there is the back end but we drafted a slew of players so hopefully one or 2 can play.

You keep beating the drum about the Rams have no air attack. I disagree I believe the Rams played well when Bradford was behind center. Here are some numbers the Rams had last year

Wk 1 299 yds
Wk2 352 yds
Wk3 240 yds
Wk4 202 yds Rams loss (whinners game)
Wk5 222 yds Rams Win
Wk6 117 yds Rams Win (Houston Game)
Wk7 255 yds Carolina game Bradford did not finish this game

Now consider better blocking, better running game, and add Britt and another year to the Rams young and talented WR. I understand some are disappointed that the Rams did not go WR in the first round. Sure it would be nice to have a another talented WR to the mix but it does not mean it would have made a difference this year. Go rams

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Before Fish and Snead now was the time we we're trying to convince ourselves the picks our dipshit FO made were good.

"Sure there were 800 players on the board ranked higher than him, but I can see why they picked this guy. It becomes even more glaringly obvious after I take a swig from this second fifth I'm about to go through. Rams are going places." *Buuuuurp*
Eh, I see it more as the nature of fandom. Some of the later picks this year have some scratching their heads. And when Fisher and Snead leave (unless of course they retire in 20 years or something), there'll be some saying the same thing about those picks.

Basically it comes down to whether we win or not. We don't, people will look back at the picks that didn't match their boards and say "Ah ha! Those guys couldn't draft!"

At least there hasn't been a 1st round whiff since Jason Smith (and that was a case of no better options). You line up Bradford, Quinn, Brockers and Robinson against the likes of Tye Hill and Adam Carriker, and it almost seems like a completely different game is being played.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Eh, I see it more as the nature of fandom. Some of the later picks this year have some scratching their heads. And when Fisher and Snead leave (unless of course they retire in 20 years or something), there'll be some saying the same thing about those picks.

Basically it comes down to whether we win or not. We don't, people will look back at the picks that didn't match their boards and say "Ah ha! Those guys couldn't draft!"

At least there hasn't been a 1st round whiff since Jason Smith (and that was a case of no better options). You line up Bradford, Quinn, Brockers and Robinson against the likes of Tye Hill and Adam Carriker, and it almost seems like a completely different game is being played.

I see it as factually some of the worst drafting by any team historically in the last decade. More than that though, I'm talking about literately at that moment scratching my head as to why the fuck the team would draft a certain player. I haven't done that but maybe once watching a draft by the current FO.

FRO

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah I didn't know many of the guys we picked 4th round on. They all may suck, or we may have a few players out of the group. That being said the first 4 picks were money. If all 4 bust I won't complain one bit, because I would have drafted very similar.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
With the 32nd pick in the 4th round of the 2002 NFL draft, the St. Louis Rams select; Travis Scott, OG, Arizona State.

Let's wait and see, 2013's draft was very good (and could be even better if Jones becomes our full time C), 2012's second round was too awful for that draft to be considered a success, let's see how our 2014 picks do in the NFL before anointing Snead and Fisher as geniuses.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
When we talk about "airing it out" are we concerned about winning or Sam Bradford's stats?

I'd think that Bradford would be ok with sacrificing some passing yardage and TDS to the running game if it means more wins.

If Sam Bradford comes back and plays about where he did last year (and the receivers can hold on to a few more passes) there's no reason to think the Rams won't have an outstanding year.

RFIP

Nope. Not for me anyways. "People" always will link Bradford to RG3. If RG3 puts up 5000 yards this year with Garcon, Reed, DJax and Roberts to throw to and go on to win a crap division the moaning about "we should have picked RD3!!" WILL start again. No one cares who WE have at wr, who WE DIDN'T draft at wr and what division WE play in.

But for ME, I know today that we could have had Watkins and Z Martin, something I could have easily lived with though I freely admit I never dreamed of Donald being there at 13. He's the wild card in all of this for me. Still trying to factor that in my brain because I believe he will do more as a Ram (much more actually) than Robinson.

But in the end if Watkins quickly becomes the superstar I and most predict, and Robinson ends up being a full time G with limited but not GREAT success there, I will be greatly disappointed.

Fortunately, like with Blackmon (off field issues a side) Watkins went to a team which imo has questionable at best QB play, and one who plays at least a few games each year in brutal weather so he may not get to show his full wares any time soon either.

So we shall see.

Believe one thing however, Aaron Donald will be an immediate super star in St Louis. It's the perfect storm for his skill set and our current DL make up. This kid is an amazing talent folks!

RFIP

When we talk about "airing it out" are we concerned about winning or Sam Bradford's stats?

I'd think that Bradford would be ok with sacrificing some passing yardage and TDS to the running game if it means more wins.

If Sam Bradford comes back and plays about where he did last year (and the receivers can hold on to a few more passes) there's no reason to think the Rams won't have an outstanding year.

Here's the thing my friend, if you watch a lot of NFL football, which I assume you do, then you understand that with very few exceptions there are so many games (and half's) that end with offenses in the two minute drill where by the QB is in the gun, the O is in 3-4 wr sets AND THE WR'S MUST WIN DOWN FIELD.

Can this current group of Ram wr's, specifically Quick, Pettis and Givens (one trick pony) do this? Can Schotty scheme guys open?

Based on what I have seen to date I say NO and NO.

But we shall see.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob

We got Sam at QB, we'll be able to pass it!

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

If we can't throw it, a big reason will be because a first overall draft pick QB isn't as good as he was expected to be. Bradford is gonna have the luxury of a top 5 defense giving him the ball over and over again in favorable field positions. And he will have a strong running game to keep opposing defenses from teeing off on him.

Certainly, he needs some of his young receivers to step up, but no one on the Rams needs to step up more than Sam Bradford. I'm not gonna take the approach that Bradford needs more weapons than other high first round pick QBs to make the playoffs. If Bradford is any good he'll win at least 9 games with this Rams team, if not then he's not nearly as good as you've been saying. And that's just the flat out truth.

RFIP

I'm not gonna take the approach that Bradford needs more weapons than other high first round pick QBs to make the playoffs. If Bradford is any good he'll win at least 9 games with this Rams team, if not then he's not nearly as good as you've been saying. And that's just the flat out truth.

MORE weapons? Really?

I've asked this question a 100 times, which top QB has had LESS weapons than Sam in their first 5 years?

I'll wait.

Devaney flat out said it two months back; "WE failed this guy (Sam) by never getting him the talented receivers he deserved, he did more with lesser guys, guys who know one knew before or since..." He mentioned Amendola, Gibson and Clayton, just to name a few.

RG3? Year ONE they go get him Garcon, then draft a great receiving TE in Reed, Then go get Roberts for the slot and sign DJax. Seriously? SERIOUSLY?

Indy KEEPS their HOF wr Wayne, draft the two best TE's IN THE SAME DRAFT and admittedly fall in to the talents of Hilton.

FOUR YEARS LATER the Rams are starring at the best wr in years, for what will be the last time (hopefully) and they pass.

I expect an offense that runs clock, collects a few first downs, punts a lot, depends on Greg the leg and averages in the same area of 17-18 points/game because nothing has changed on the outside, in fact with Britts bliounder yesterday and his impending release things have actually gotten worse.

It's easy to point at Robinson TODAY and pretend we are going to run the ball up and down the field at will but the fact is, if you can't win outside then teams will continue to do what they did the second half of last year and that is to out number the box, which WILL shut down the run especially against teams in our division, who all have elite talent outside to MORE THAN eliminate the few weapons we have at receiver at present.

It's a shame too because I was all set to cast my die with Britt, PRAYING he could be the one, at least for ONE year to be a legit #1 wr.

Oh well...