Texans ship Brock Osweiler and a second-round pick to Cleveland

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/09/cleveland-browns-brock-osweiler-trade-houston-texans-moneyball

The Browns’ Brock Osweiler Trade: Moneyball in Action
by Albert Breer

Since last year Cleveland has been operating under the personnel principles that have transformed baseball decision-making. The deal for the Texans’ albatross of a quarterback—and a second-round pick—is the perfect example a new way of thinking in the NFL

Brock Osweiler got traded to the Browns on Thursday. We still don’t know what team he’ll play for 2017. And Moneyball is the culprit.

Ever since Sashi Brown took over in Cleveland 14 months ago, and quickly imported former baseball executive Paul DePodesta, the assumption that the new brass would be borrowing analytical models from other sports and bringing them to the NFL has been made. In this case, the comparison is very valid.

This trade is pure Moneyball.

The Browns have hoarded assets. They traded the second pick in last year’s draft and dealt down again before actually selecting a player (Corey Coleman). They also let free agents like Mitchell Schwartz, Alex Mack, Travis Benjamin and Tashaun Gipson go, knowing comp picks would be coming back. And in doing so, they amassed the most cap room any team has had in the 24-year history of NFL free agency.

The windfall: $102 million in cap space, and 11 picks within the first six rounds of the 2017 draft, including five of the first 65 picks.

On Thursday they started utilizing their assets, mostly in conventional ways—getting free-agent linemen Kevin Zeitler and JC Tretter, and receiver Kenny Britt in the fold, and extending the deal of stalwart guard Joel Bitonio.

And then they moved to use their cap space in another way—and flip it into another asset. In the trade with the Texans, Cleveland gets a second-round pick in 2018, a sixth-rounder in ’17 and Osweiler (and the $16 million he’s owed this year) in exchange for a 2017 fourth-rounder.

Moneyball in baseball is designed to find market inefficiencies, and one of those would certainly be how a big quarterback contract can hang around a team’s neck. The Browns saw that, in the way the Brock Osweiler contract has become an absolute albatross in Houston—and found an opening.

The result: They flipped late-round picks this year, and acquired a second-round pick next year to take on Osweiler’s contract. And they’re trying to find someone to take Osweiler off their hands now, while they eat a piece of his salary, to acquire something else (though it likely wouldn’t be much).

To be sure, the Texans had already begun the process of moving on from Osweiler. Owner Bob McNair said publicly early in the offseason that finding a solution at quarterback was a priority. And the fact is that, if the season started last Sunday, Tom Savage would’ve been ahead of Osweiler on the depth chart.

The issue, though, went a little deeper than that. Osweilier’s clashes with the staff late in the 2016 season made the idea of bringing him back in any capacity in 2017 uncomfortable at best. If the Texans cut him? Well, then they’d have to cut him a $16 million check, too, and such a move would push his cap number from $19 million to $25 million, making finding another option at quarterback even more difficult.

Tony Romo’s availability absolutely has been on Houston’s radar—he is considered a system fit for Bill O’Brien. But if the team’s financial flexibility were to shrink, so would the chances of actually landing Romo or any other big-ticket item at the game’s most important position.

In essence, the Texans, with the league’s No. 1 defense and a solid crew of skill players, were between a rock and a hard place with the quarterback situation. The Browns, to their credit, saw opportunity. And they struck.

I’d be surprised if we see Osweiler playing for the Browns in the fall, because this trade wasn’t about acquiring Osweiler. It was about taking advantage of an inefficiency elsewhere and leveraging an asset from it.

OK, so we went through all the unprecedented portfolio of ammunition the Browns took into this offseason, right? When I asked coach Hue Jackson about it on Saturday, he said, “It’s very exciting, but it’s pressure-packed too. You gotta get it right because these are opportunities to take this organization in a whole new direction.”

With this trade, the Browns didn’t acquire a quarterback. They simply created more opportunity for themselves—this time in 2018. They now have 10 picks in that draft, 14 months away, including three second-rounders and two fourth-rounders. Chances are they’ll eventually wind up with more than that. Of course, at some point this will have to be about selecting the right players with all those picks.

Draft capital and cap space don’t block and tackle. But having this much of it can certainly help in the search for guys who can.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The quintessential Browns QB move. Add him to "The List".

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Pretty interesting to see cap space used as leverage for acquiring draft capital.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Osweiler comes with a ridiculous amount of a hit that only the Browns could take. If they have to eat that and they can't move him I say it's the dumbest move in a decade. Sorry . Just disagree with the pick thrown in still does not justify it. I'm just old and dumb. Forgive me.

They have so much cap space-- more than they could actually spend, I believe. There's a minimum teams must spend each year or they get hit with a penalty. Basically, they "paid" cash to get the Texans 2018 second round pick. It's a very smart move.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/10/where-will-brock-osweiler-go-next/

Where will Brock Osweiler go next?
Posted by Mike Florio on March 10, 2017

631707224-e1489176100482.jpg
Getty Images

If George Costanza is T-Bone, then Brock Osweiler should be known as Hot Potato, given that the Texans gave up draft picks to unload his $16 million guaranteed contract for 2017. Now that Osweiler temporarily resides in Cleveland’s hands, where will he go next?

The Browns clearly don’t plan to keep him. The options are to trade him or to cut him.

If Cleveland cuts Osweiler, the Browns would get an offset for anything he makes elsewhere. However, as Tony Grossi of ESPNCleveland.com noted on Friday’s PFT Live, why would anyone pay Osweiler more than $775,000, the minimum salary for a player with five years of experience? Whatever Osweiler is paid, Cleveland pays the rest.

While this would reduce Cleveland’s total cost for a second-round pick in 2018 to $15.225 million (along with Cleveland giving up a 2017 fourth-round pick to Houston and getting a 2017 sixth-round pick back), there’s a way that Cleveland could reduce it even further. The Browns could give Osweiler the hot potato treatment, part two.

The Browns could ship him to a team like the Broncos (who were willing to pay him $16 million per year last season) for, say, $6 million. Like the Browns, which received a net gain in picks by picking up the contract, Cleveland could send a low-round pick in 2017 or 2018 to Denver to get them to take the contract and reduce significantly Cleveland’s financial burden.

Under that type of a deal, Cleveland would end up giving up $10 million in cash and cap space, getting a second-round pick in 2018 and a sixth-round pick in 2017, and giving up a fourth-round pick in 2017 plus whatever other pick they’d send to Denver to get them to pay Osweiler $6 million this year.

Of course, with Gary Kubiak gone in Denver, the Broncos may no longer want Osweiler. The Bills could be interested in Osweiler as a backup to Tyrod Taylor, given the presence of former Denver offensive coordinator Rick Dennison in Buffalo.

Other teams with connections to Osweiler include the Bears (John Fox) and the Dolphins (Adam Gase). The question is whether either would consider paying him $6 million and take a draft pick from Cleveland in return?

That’s likely the only way he’d be traded, making the guy who became the first player to be traded with his new team getting a net gain in draft picks also the first guy to be traded that way twice.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...leveland-hot-potato-deal-is-indeed-permitted/

Houston-Cleveland hot potato deal is indeed permitted
Posted by Mike Florio on March 10, 2017

Thursday’s trade that saw the Texans unload Brock Osweiler’s contract onto the Browns and also give Cleveland a net gain in draft picks caused some to question whether an NBA-style deal of this type was permitted in the NFL.

It definitely was, and is. A league spokesman tells PFT that the deal was approved without adjustment or limitation on Thursday.

Whether other teams engage in such blatant hot-potato swaps moving forward remains to be seen. Criticism among folks in the football community has been mounting not due to the process but due to the decision of Cleveland to pay $16 million and a low fourth-round pick in 2017 for what likely will be a low second-round pick in 2018 and a low sixth-round pick in 2017. For what the Browns are gaining in draft equity, the thinking is they’re paying too much in cash and cap space.

Possibly overlooked when considering the analytics aspects of football are the human dynamics. What are the players thinking (and saying among themselves via group text) about the Browns giving $16 million to a guy who will never play for the team but failing to find a way to keep Terrelle Pryor, who’ll make half of that this year in Washington?

Ultimately, football teams need 11 guys at a time who will embrace the chaos that comes from trying to perform against 11 guys with directly conflicting agendas. The players need to be all in, all the time. As the NFL crosses into this new frontier of paying guys not to play for the team twice a much as it would have taken to keep a guy who wanted to be there, it will be important to factor those intangible-yet-critical realities into the overall assessment of the success or failure of the move.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
They have so much cap space-- more than they could actually spend, I believe. There's a minimum teams must spend each year or they get hit with a penalty. Basically, they "paid" cash to get the Texans 2018 second round pick. It's a very smart move.

My dear fellow RAMS fan. The Browns paid 16 PLUS Million dollars for a second round pick next season to help get rid of cap room I personally would have found a much better way to over spend to bring a real Football player to the team. There is NO SUCH THING as more money then they can spend. I'm so glad you thought it was worth posting this so everyone could choose a side instead of just leaving your disagree ,have a different opinion flag on my earlier post.

You obviously know everyone is not on one side of this issue with all the articles and rage that it has brought to true Browns fans who ALSO do not see the rational behind it. The Browns need to do so many things to be a real Pro team and stocking draft picks is only one way to get there. Hey they've tried everything else to try and obtain a quarterback with a winning record who now is on his way to the 9ers.

To think your opinion is the only one worth taking is just your opinion. GOD BLESS YOU. I myself would have done my homework and signed a better WR then the Rams Kenny Britt ,The first 1000 yard reciever in forever or tried to overpay for another Wide reciever as the Patriots will not release Garappalo even for the 2 number 1's they threw out there they would. Many reporters today have said with a 40+ year old quarterback the Patriots will KEEP JG even through next season also as if no one knows when the goat Brady will actually start having reduced returns and they love what JG can do till Bellyfat coaches till he is 70.

Some see it as smart like you. Ever think other people think it's a stupid idea ? We are out here and in very large numbers. So please just leave your disagree sign we can put up and just leave it there. I disagree with you, but I would'nt take it any further. So glad we are raising capital by all the cuts we are making to hopefully sign a Center,Pass Rusher,Corner Back,Wide reciever or stud LB still available. Or extend Aaron Donald. Shalom.

Last edited:

Zodi

Hall of Fame
My dear fellow RAMS fan. The Browns paid 16 PLUS Million dollars for a second round pick next season to help get rid of cap room I personally would have found a much better way to over spend to bring a real Football player to the team. There is NO SUCH THING as more money then they can spend. I'm so glad you thought it was worth posting this so everyone could choose a side instead of just leaving your disagree ,have a different opinion flag on my earlier post.

You obviously know everyone is not on one side of this issue with all the articles and rage that it has brought to true Browns fans who ALSO do not see the rational behind it. The Browns need to do so many things to be a real Pro team and stocking draft picks is only one way to get there. Hey they've tried everything else to try and obtain a quarterback with a winning record who now is on his way to the 9ers.

To think your opinion is the only one worth taking is just your opinion. GOD BLESS YOU. I myself would have done my homework and signed a better WR then the Rams Kenny Britt ,The first 1000 yard reciever in forever or tried to overpay for another Wide reciever as the Patriots will not release Garappalo even for the 2 number 1's they threw out there they would. Many reporters today have said with a 40+ year old quarterback the Patriots will KEEP JG even through next season also as if no one knows when the goat Brady will actually start having reduced returns and they love what JG can do till Bellyfat coaches till he is 70.

Some see it as smart like you. Ever think other people think it's a stupid idea ? We are out here and in very large numbers. So please just leave your disagree sign we can put up and just leave it there. I disagree with you, but I would'nt take it any further. So glad we are raising capital by all the cuts we are making to hopefully sign a Center,Pass Rusher,Corner Back,Wide reciever or stud LB still available. Or extend Aaron Donald. Shalom.

They had over 100 million in cap space. Simply put, they could afford to spend 16 mil (if they dont trade Brock) for a 2nd round pick. Not only could they afford to, but I'm pretty sure the league states they have to spend a certain amount of cap space. Also, the whole thing about free agency is, you know, players have to agree to go to Cleveland, too. Reports are they offered Pryor the same deal Washington did, but he chose not to take it. Perhaps they offered Jeffrey or Jackson money, too, and they declined as well.

It's obvious the new GM is trying to acquire more draft picks to get his guys, rather than free agents-- which they've let plenty walk.

You're free to disagree and discuss whatever, but what the Browns did is a very logical move.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/11/browns-still-trying-to-trade-osweiler/

Browns still trying to trade Osweiler
Posted by Mike Florio on March 11, 2017

631707446-e1489264616701.jpg
Getty Images

The Browns traded for quarterback Brock Osweiler not because they wanted Osweiler (based on their current depth chart maybe they should) but because they wanted the second-round pick that the Texans surrendered to get Osweiler and his $16 million guaranteed salary off the books. The Browns are now trying to do the same thing.

Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the Browns hope to trade Osweiler. If they can’t, they’ll cut him.

Per Cabot, the Browns are willing to send Osweiler and a fifth-round pick for a third-round pick. They also hope that the new team will absorb up to half of Osweiler’s salary.

It’s a long shot at best. If a deal like that could have been done, the Texans would have done it before unloading the full $16 million and giving up a second-round pick. If the Browns hope to trade Osweiler and dump part of his salary, they probably will have to give up a pick or two, too.

And so the much more likely outcome is that Osweiler will be cut. While Cabot suggests that the Browns could save roughly $4 million in offsets based on the contract he signs on the open market, why would any team offer more than the $775,000 veteran minimum? Osweiler still will make $16 million, regardless of what his next team pays. Why should that team, or Osweiler, try to do the Browns a favor?

Potential suitors, based on past relationships, continue to be the Broncos (John Elway, Mike Moore), Bears (John Fox), Dolphins (Adam Gase), and Bills (Rick Dennison). Two days after the trade that sent Cleveland, however, the has been no buzz regarding any team wanting to get Osweiler on its roster.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why don't the Browns use their cap space to sign the best players they can to rebuild their team ?

because they are the browns. they accumulate many high draft picks then don't know how to use them.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ation-was-last-straw-for-texans-and-osweiler/

Week 17 altercation was last straw for Texans and Osweiler
Posted by Mike Florio on March 12, 2017

So when did the Texans decide it was time to move on from quarterback Brock Osweiler despite a contract that pays $16 million guaranteed in 2017? The decision was made in the aftermath of an incident that occurred on the first day of the calendar year.

January 1. Texans at Titans. Backup-turned-starter Tom Savage took a hit on a quarterback sneak during the first play of the second quarter and was removed for a concussion evaluation. Starter-turned-backup Brock Osweiler entered the game.

Confusion emerged during the second quarter as to whether Savage had been cleared to return to action. At halftime, Savage got the news: He was being shut down for the day.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Savage became very upset, knocking things around in the locker room and otherwise making a ruckus about having his status jeopardized by a doctor’s decision to keep him from playing. At or about the same time, coach Bill O’Brien informed Osweiler that he’d be finishing the game.

Osweiler, per the source, reacted negatively, telling O’Brien in the visiting coach’s office at Nissan Stadium in Nashville that he’s only playing Osweiler because O’Brien needs him. [Editor’s note: That’s sort of how football depth charts work.]

An argument ensued, voices were raised. At one point, it’s believed that Osweiler got up to walk away and O’Brien threw out an arm to stop him. That prompted Osweiler to act as if he were being “held hostage,” a claim that he would repeat (per the source) in the days after the game.

And that was that for Osweiler in Houston. Following that incident, the team was determined to find a way to move on from him.

Rumors of an incident of some sort had been percolating for weeks. Both O’Brien and Osweiler downplayed talk of a loud argument in the days after the game. Following the hot potato trade that sent Osweiler and a second-round pick to Cleveland, former NFL defensive back Bryant McFadden said in an appearance on 120 Sports that Osweiler and O’Brien had a “physical confrontation that got ugly.”

“It was physical,” McFadden said. “It was physical. The players and coaches had to restrain O’Brien and Brock.”

Both the Texans and Osweiler’s agent, Jimmy Sexton, declined to comment on McFadden’s claims. Based on the information PFT has obtained, it seems that the incident was mildly physical at worst.

Consider it objectively. Osweiler is six-seven, and he was wearing full pads. O’Brien is considerably shorter than that and, unlike the conventional game-day attire in baseball, was not wearing pads and a uniform.

Whatever did (or didn’t) happen between the two of them, Osweiler’s perceived overreaction to the incident was, we’re told, the moment the Texans decided to move on from Osweiler.