Texans ship Brock Osweiler and a second-round pick to Cleveland

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...sweiler-and-a-second-round-pick-to-cleveland/

Texans ship Brock Osweiler and a second-round pick to Cleveland
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 9, 2017

630768394-e1483617054984.jpg
Getty Images

How big a mistake did the Texans make when they signed Brock Osweiler last year? So big that they’re giving up a second-round draft pick to get out from under his contract.

Osweiler is being shipped to Cleveland, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports. The compensation? The Texans have to give the Browns a 2018 second-round draft pick and a 2017 sixth-round pick. The Browns ship a 2017 fourth-round pick to Houston.

That’s right, the Texans are trading Osweiler away and giving up a draft pick, just to get the Browns to take Osweiler’s contract off their hands.

The move will save the Texans $10 million in cap space. The Browns have plenty of cap space and can afford Osweiler’s contract.

Whether Osweiler will be able to start for the Browns remains to be seen, but this trade isn’t about the Browns liking Osweiler. It’s about the Texans wanting so badly to get rid of him that they think he has negative value.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Hmmm Cleveland has another 2nd now....Wanna send one to us for Tru now please?
The 2nd is next year. Great move Browns, man first the Raiders get smart and now the Browns. Guess I just have the Jags and Whiners to make fun of.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I know Cleveland was looking good so far in Free Agency and then they go Backwards again to square one. I don't care how much cap space you have. How could you help the texans out so much? This is the biggest head shaker I've seen in decades folks. Now the Texans with Savage can bring Romo in and give him his shot. Obviously JJ got wind of this and Romo's release hit a big snag. Thats terrible Jerry to do that to Tony thinking you can get trade picks. :puke::rolleyes::sneaky:

Trade for TJ Browns and at least get a player.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
The 2nd is next year. Great move Browns, man first the Raiders get smart and now the Browns. Guess I just have the Jags and Whiners to make fun of.

Thanks I missed that...Doesn't matter they can still send one anyways;)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So does Cleveland draft a QB? And who gets cut?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Romo, line 1.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know Cleveland was looking good so far in Free Agency and then they go Backwards again to square one. I don't care how much cap space you have. How could you help the texans out so much? This is the biggest head shaker I've seen in decades folks. Now the Texans with Savage can bring Romo in and give him his shot. Obviously JJ got wind of this and Romo's release hit a big snag. Thats terrible Jerry to do that to Tony thinking you can get trade picks. :puke::rolleyes::sneaky:

Trade for TJ Browns and at least get a player.

What on earth are you talking about?

The Texans basically gave the Browns a 2nd round pick to take Osweiler off their books. The Browns don't seem inclined to keep Osweiler.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

How is it a great move? Osweiler is not very good and they now are paying a bad QB like a good starter.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How is it a great move? Osweiler is not very good and they now are paying a bad QB like a good starter.

Because they were basically given a 2nd round pick to take on a salary. They have so much cap space, this was a great move by the Browns. I read they will look to trade or possibly cut him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

The Texans basically gave the Browns a 2nd round pick to take Osweiler off their books. The Browns don't seem inclined to keep Osweiler.

How do you know that they wont keep him? They are paying him a lot of money. I know I just basically said he sucks but maybe Hue Jackson thinks he can fix him. If so it will be the second supposed QB guru to try.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Romo, line 1.

Romo going to Houston Texans , Just when and what will Jerry hold out for. After they had tweeted out they would set him free and give him his release. I wonder who was the insider who called Jerry Jones that the Browns would lose their mind again after hireing such a great HC ? Osweiler is a hot mess. The Browns do not have their starting qb yet.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH

Osweiler comes with a ridiculous amount of a hit that only the Browns could take. If they have to eat that and they can't move him I say it's the dumbest move in a decade. Sorry . Just disagree with the pick thrown in still does not justify it. I'm just old and dumb. Forgive me.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
Speculation that the Browns are trying to collect picks to ship to New England for Garoppolo

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Romo going to Houston Texans , Just when and what will Jerry hold out for. After they had tweeted out they would set him free and give him his release. I wonder who was the insider who called Jerry Jones that the Browns would lose their mind again after hireing such a great HC ? Osweiler is a hot mess. The Browns do not have their starting qb yet.

Even if they are stuck with his salary - which is another 3 years - they are in extreme rebuilding mode. They won't need that cap space. And they are getting a premium draft pick just to take him. This is an extremely smart move on their part.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How do you know that they wont keep him? They are paying him a lot of money. I know I just basically said he sucks but maybe Hue Jackson thinks he can fix him. If so it will be the second supposed QB guru to try.

Even if they do keep him, they get a 2nd round pick and they won't be needing that cap space for the next 3 years (and I'm sure they can cut him, worst case, after two). This was just a brilliant move to get a premium pick without giving anything up.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Even if they are stuck with his salary - which is another 3 years - they are in extreme rebuilding mode. They won't need that cap space. And they are getting a premium draft pick just to take him. This is an extremely smart move on their part.

I think there are cheaper ways to pick up a 2nd round pick in next years draft. Its not Monopoly money. Someone has to pay that well over 10 MILLION dollars. This is not the NBA. Why won't the Browns not NEED that awesome amount of money they just threw away as We as the RAMS need every dollar we can find to sign players we plan on starting? Forgive me as I'm old and thick and don't see the NFL trying to play things like we are in the NBA . The browns money is as important as any other teams. I could spend it much wiser. MUCH!!!!!

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Even if they do keep him, they get a 2nd round pick and they won't be needing that cap space for the next 3 years (and I'm sure they can cut him, worst case, after two). This was just a brilliant move to get a premium pick without giving anything up.

Yeah I guess it is, but that brilliant move was only capable because of making so many bad ones over the years that you are able to have an enormous amount of cap space. But, thing seem to be finally looking up for the Browns.