Tell Us The Story Of How You Became A Ram Fan

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I was pretty young in 99, like 14 or so. I was a casual football fan. I tuned in to watch on a Sunday morning early in the season, and the Rams were playing another team, and I can't remember who. I decided to root for the OTHER team. After the Rams went up by about 3 TDS, I said, this is the best team I've ever seen! So from then on, I was a Rams fan. At least I picked them BEFORE the SB win! I had an eye for greatness back then even.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Not bad actually. (y) My German has gotten really weak over the years but pride keeps me from using an online translation, so I'll translate the best I can. :)

You lived in Germany between 84 and 88 and that's where you met your wife. You both lived in Frankfurt near Rhein-Main.

I was born in Regensburg, where my older brother still lives, but we lived mostly in Munich. Did you get to attend the Oktoberfest and drink beer out of giant steins and eat pretzels as big as your head? Cause that's my main memory from living there. :sneaky:

That's how I would have said it in English. Been to Regensburg, and yes, did experience Oktoberfest.
I found people in the Munich area too be friendlier than their northern brethren. Could have been because of Oktoberfest, but I don't think so.
Funny how, no matter what country you're in, people in the south seem to be friendlier.

WillasDad

Rookie
Name
WillasDad
In the early to mid 80s, the Raiders were good and so naturally, the idiots in my neighborhood were Raider fans. I didn't want to be an idiot so I became a Rams fan.

Stel

Starter
The details of my becoming a Rams fan are quite inconsequential.

Where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.

Vilma was a Rams fan, so naturally I became one, too.
:sneaky:

Actually, live in mid Missouri and was a football Cardinals fan. They left, I tried to continue to follow them but lost interest. Couldn't get into the Chiefs so had no single team I followed. Rams moved to St. Louis and I started following them and became a fan.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My first memories were sitting with my Dad on an old wood floor In Whittier, at Great Grandparents house..Watching the Rams...my team ever after. (abt. 1968)

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
For me it was a combination of things. Growing up in the central valley in Fresno Calif. most people were bay area fans. Whiners or Raiders. My best friend and I decided we would like the LA teams. I actually was a Dodgers fan before I was a Rams fan. I stayed home for two weeks from school because I had the mumps. It was world series time and games back then were during the day. The Dodgers were playing. I pulled for them because of the California thing.

So my friend and I decided we would pull for the Rams. As a young kid, football was more of a participating thing than a spectator thing. I pulled for the Rams but I didn't really follow them much. Not until that game with the Packers and the Rams blocked a punt late in the game. Roman Gabriel threw a game winning TD and I was hooked for good.

I lived and breathed Rams football after that exciting win. Needless to say me and my best friend followed the Rams, Dodgers and Lakers. We watched games together during grammar school years, during high school years and even when we grew up, got married and had our own families. We always made it a point to watch Rams football together when they were on TV.

Sad to say when I moved north of Fresno we stopped watching games together. He passed away about 7 years ago. I still miss my best friend Marty and I keep in touch with his kids through facebook. They still call me Uncle Charlie to this day. We did make it point to get together and watch the Superbowl in 99. That was the last game I watched with him. And it was the best ever.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
For me it was a combination of things. Growing up in the central valley in Fresno Calif. most people were bay area fans. Whiners or Raiders. My best friend and I decided we would like the LA teams. I actually was a Dodgers fan before I was a Rams fan. I stayed home for two weeks from school because I had the mumps. It was world series time and games back then were during the day. The Dodgers were playing. I pulled for them because of the California thing.

So my friend and I decided we would pull for the Rams. As a young kid, football was more of a participating thing than a spectator thing. I pulled for the Rams but I didn't really follow them much. Not until that game with the Packers and the Rams blocked a punt late in the game. Roman Gabriel threw a game winning TD and I was hooked for good.

I lived and breathed Rams football after that exciting win. Needless to say me and my best friend followed the Rams, Dodgers and Lakers. We watched games together during grammar school years, during high school years and even when we grew up, got married and had our own families. We always made it a point to watch Rams football together when they were on TV.

Sad to say when I moved north of Fresno we stopped watching games together. He passed away about 7 years ago. I still miss my best friend Marty and I keep in touch with his kids through facebook. They still call me Uncle Charlie to this day. We did make it point to get together and watch the Superbowl in 99. That was the last game I watched with him. And it was the best ever.
:cry: What a great story. Thanks for sharing!

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
:cry: What a great story. Thanks for sharing!

I tend to get a little emotional when I talk about Marty. We were closer than most brothers from kindergarten up into our 40's. His family was my family and vice versa.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
My story is pretty wack compared to some. I grew up with my parents and brother being huge Packer fans. Didn't really care for football. Then I was about 10 or 11 and my best buddy told me he loved the rams. So I watched, and fell in love too. Turns out he gave up on football, I did not. And I've loved the rams ever since.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I tend to get a little emotional when I talk about Marty. We were closer than most brothers from kindergarten up into our 40's. His family was my family and vice versa.

It's always great to hear stories about life-long friendships (as I'm a mere 22) and I can only hope I can have a friendship like the one you had with Marty. I am pretty close with another member on this board and we fly out and meet in STL for the home opener annually (dating back to 2012), but we're unfortunately separated by about 2,500 miles

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
It's always great to hear stories about life-long friendships (as I'm a mere 22) and I can only hope I can have a friendship like the one you had with Marty. I am pretty close with another member on this board and we fly out and meet in STL for the home opener annually (dating back to 2012), but we're unfortunately separated by about 2,500 miles

Thats the great thing about the internet today. You can still maintain a close relationship with friends even when there's a 2500 mile gap. I don't know what I'd do without all the great Rams fans on this board and others.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I moved to the United States and when I was playing hockey the high school Football coach asked me to try out for linebacker after seeing my physical play during a game. Since I had no idea how football worked I picked up a copy of Madden so I could learn about the sport. I picked a team at random, and it happened to be the Rams... I stuck with them ever sense. Turned out I couldn't figure it out fast enough for linebacker, but I became a pretty good Safety, mostly because I could knock the crap out of guys. I had a problem with laying the lumber instead of wrapping up tackles though.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Dad took me to a game at the LA Coliseum in '58, Billy Wade, Les Richter, Jon Arnett, Del Shofner, Jack Pardee . . . . .
I was 10 - been hooked (and horned) ever since. DAYAAM - that was a long time ago. :palm:

An accident of birth for me (Born in Burbank)...Went to my first game in 64 Rams v.Colts...Unitas to Mackey for 88 and a TD on the 1st play from scrimmage...Not a great day for me to see the Rams for the 1st time...In the late 50s my neighbor and I would listen to the Ram game on the radio..At the half we would go out in the front yard and play football for about 15 minutes...

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
My father grew up a Rams fan and raised me and my siblings as Rams fans. When I was young, I mainly just liked them because my dad liked them; I never watched any games or even knew how to play football.

It was Week 6 of the 2006 NFL Season. Rams vs Seahawks. My family went over to my grandparents' house to watch the game on their new plasma screen tv. I was in the other room probably watching Spongebob or something else. Late in the game, I heard screaming and cheering from the living room. My 10 year old self went in just in time to catch the replay of Torry Holt's miraculous juggling 67-yard touchdown grab (my avatar photo) to put the Rams ahead with under two minutes to go.

The Rams may have lost the game, but they won my heart and made me a die-hard fan.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I still remember it pretty clearly after 64 years!
It was Dec 16, 1951. Scout Day at the Old L.A. Stadium, I was 7 and in the Cub Scouts. My Seat was 17 rows up on the 50 yard Line!
Waterfield passed for 5 Tds., Crazy-Legs Hirsch caught 6 passes for 146 Yds. and 3Tds.
And We "Stomped" the Crap out of the Packers 42-14!
That was the Day "Dave-Fan-Since-1951" Was Born!
NEED I SAY MORE!?!:D

I was 5 months old then, Dave...Long time Rams fans, aren't we ???