Team needs if draft was tomorrow.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
In this^ sentence I believe you answered your own question! :D
The idea that DE and especially DT is a Team need is ludicrous!!

By draft time, they might be. William Hayes and Eugene Sims are both free agents. That's a big part of our DE depth, and we might decide to go elsewhere. Hayes is not getting any younger and Sims is a penalty machine. Chris Long can save us like $10M in cap space by cutting him, and he'll be 31 by the start of next season, they might decide to want more youth at the position. That could be 3 DEs down.

As far as DT, we only have 3 on the roster, and Nick Fairley is a FA who's probably going to get a big contract on another team. Westbrooks is not a DT and should not be considered one. You can't go into a season with only 2 DTs on the roster. Trinca-Pasat could fill in for Donald if we kept him on the 53, but who's the backup NT?

As of right now, these positions aren't needs, but looking ahead, they could be.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
By draft time, they might be. William Hayes and Eugene Sims are both free agents. That's a big part of our DE depth, and we might decide to go elsewhere. Hayes is not getting any younger and Sims is a penalty machine. Chris Long can save us like $10M in cap space by cutting him, and he'll be 31 by the start of next season, they might decide to want more youth at the position. That could be 3 DEs down.

As far as DT, we only have 3 on the roster, and Nick Fairley is a FA who's probably going to get a big contract on another team. Westbrooks is not a DT and should not be considered one. You can't go into a season with only 2 DTs on the roster. Trinca-Pasat could fill in for Donald if we kept him on the 53, but who's the backup NT?

As of right now, these positions aren't needs, but looking ahead, they could be.
The Op posed the question " IF the Draft where held Tomorrow" So I LOL at that!
But, we have 3/4 of the season to go and anything can happen to change our perspective as to what our team needs are, so I'll wait until the final quarter to look at things!

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hayes is not getting any younger
Doesn't play like it.....dude is flying around like a 20 year old...

I like what @jrry32 said......QB until proven otherwise......

I think all of our lines have great depth that should be re-signed...at the most, draft a center...

Top needs in all drafts should ALWAYS be BPA.....so if a OL or DL falls to you...you take him....wr or TE or CB....you take him...BPA...Rounds 1 & 2...BPA...Rounds 3....sometimes need, but I'd go BPA

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Too early in the season to say. The o-line definitely needs work. But they are all so young and inexperienced. Plenty of football left. Hopefully, by the time the draft is here, they have improved to the point we don't need to think about spending our 1st rounder on a lineman.

A #1 WR would be great. But Quick has only played 1 game with actual reps since coming off an extremely serious injury. I'll wait to see if he can pick up where he left off before making a call on the WR position.

TE might well be the safe bet, assuming there are any decent prospects at the position. Unless magically Cook improves, he has to go given his contract. And a solid TE can help us both in blocking and catching. Kill two birds with one stone.

Even though it is early I will say this: unless we encounter another Donald situation where a truly special player somehow falls into our laps, the 1st rounder better be spent on the offensive side of the ball. Lots of talk about LB and DE in this thread to groom replacements and/or provide depth. No way that should take top priority with our 1st rounder when we have positions on offense without bonafide starting calibre players to fill them.

EDIT - The 2nd round has not been kind to the Rams lately. I'd love to use our two 2nds to move up into the 1st if it is possible. Not only is it harder to "miss" there, but I think the roster finally has few enough holes that we can start thinking about quality of talent over quantity.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Doesn't play like it.....dude is flying around like a 20 year old...

I like what @jrry32 said......QB until proven otherwise......

I think all of our lines have great depth that should be re-signed...at the most, draft a center...

Top needs in all drafts should ALWAYS be BPA.....so if a OL or DL falls to you...you take him....wr or TE or CB....you take him...BPA...Rounds 1 & 2...BPA...Rounds 3....sometimes need, but I'd go BPA

I think you said it best, Champ.

BPA trumps everything in round one. Probably round 2, as well.

BTW, I'm assuming we will pick in the 20-25 neighborhood.

Zaphod pointed out another truism. There are very few positions that I would NOT consider when we pick. RB and punter are probably the only 2 off the table for me early on.

The good news is that WR, TE, and DE are reportedly loaded next year. These are three of our probable biggest need positions.

As to QB as a need position, let's wait and see how Foles does in the remaining 11 games. I'm thinking the Packer game was an outlier. And our pass pro was abysmal. Not to mention lack of support by TE's and WR's not named Austin and Bailey. Cough, cough...

And will a blue chip QB likely fall to us in the low 20's? Or are you willing to use that extra 2nd to trade up for a rookie? I dunno...

Currently, I'm of the opinion that we can win with Foles IF the OL and various receivers just do their damned jobs.

Of course, we will have a much better handle on our needs and options by next offseason.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
RB and punter are probably the only 2 off the table for me early on.....The good news is that WR, TE, and DE are reportedly loaded next year.....And our pass pro was abysmal........we can win with Foles IF the OL and various receivers just do their damned jobs.
Yeah I hear ya.....Couple questions...if Fournette from LSU could come out and he fell to us & we had 0 trade offers, do you draft this rb?
I keep hearing about some TE's in here...Who are they? I haven't found one pass catcher that's a matchup nightmare...like these 6'5 - 6'7 types...big hands...LOL
Pass pro, pass pro...How much time does a QB need to release the ball? C'mon 43...How long? 2 seconds? 3....for a young line, these guys are doing OK...Not perfect...Getting hit a bunch, of course...But serviceable...esp. in pass pro...I think you're blaming the line because the QB can't find/locate the secondary targets.....and maybe the blame needs to fall on are these targets getting open? That's really is my only concern with the offense. The line is still getting better...Getting hit is no excuse...There are no "perfect" pockets every game, every play...lets stop making silly excuses for ridiculous play...2 red zone picks? 4 picks total!? Do you realize how careless this was?!? I watched the game again...All I said during the first half, especially after the picks was, "are you serious?"
So...yeah, the only player we really need (we'll we need to check out TE & possibly RG (pulling for Wichman) in this draft is a big time QB....maybe a wr...maybe....we still have games....still have FA's to sign....

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wide receiver
Tight end
Strong side backer

Pardon my ignorance but we may as well let the offensive line play one more year together.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm not too concerned with Saffold landing on IR, but as a team the injuries are all of a sudden starting to mount up...again.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
As a lifetime Draftnik I can't avoid adding My 2cents. I know with Fisher and Snead #1 just will always be the BPA. I wonder why no one is beating the table for Cody Wichmann who I personally will end up better than Jamon Brown at OG. I hope during this bye Cody is getting as many reps as Reynolds needs also since I think we are finally done with Mr. Saffold and his glass Shoulders .GOD BLESS HIM heal and be able to play with his kids.

MY GUY IS ALL AROUND LB/MLB REGGIE RAGLAND for BAMA wearing #15 and making all the defensive calls also for their defense. He can rush from the DE position. Does GREAT in pass coverage and can tackle for loss and blitz like a giant madman. He can stand up the RB and take him down himself. The BEST part is their are 3 other guys sought after more than him if not four who I don't think any are the TOTAL PACKAGE like Reggie Ragland. You have Jack from UCLA who has already committed. You have the Arizona Wildcat everyone knows by one name (not impressed). Then you have the Georgia Bulldog MLB that sometimes rates ahead of Ragland. Reggie is as good as C. J. Mosley was and is now an ILB for Ravens who suck but its not all his fault as losing Suggs crushed that "D". I want JL's man to be a MAJOR part of our "D" alongside Alec Ogletree when he returns. I'm all for keeping JL at his current price for at least another year as he after one horrid game with Skins. JL has fought like the REAL BAD ASS and leader he REALLY IS!!! He is just a tad slow and not a sideline to sideline guy like AO is. Plus can get washed out. Having 2 FAST,SMART,HEADHUNTERS that FINALLY make up for our loss at picking Bobby Wagner seattle stole from us. Just start watching the guy if I have not cursed him now. He is obtainable. Put TWO STUD LB's behind our front 4 and get our back 4 set along with Barron and we keep our top 5 defense. Probably improve knowing the system of GW better. Pasat with a year of Pro Weights along with Longacre are gonna be diamonds in the rough finds. We are SO BLESSED.!!!

Since Cleveland will have to resign its center as they drafted a Center from FSU in the 1st round last year . I say WE SIGN MACK ourselves . Centers are so freaking important. I think he'd love to block for Gurley. We have Longacre and Pasat as our two leading tacklers in Pre-season. I don't see Fairley earning 5 mill doing what he's doing so far. Brockers HAS to be extended as he mixed with aaron Donald create such a chemistry that no team can handle along with Quinn. Hate we may have to move on from C. Longs contract as his injuries seem to keep happening and I love Hayes who needs to rotate with someone. The Saints getting UNGER from seattle got the better of the deal as true Centers are so hard to find and keep.

Wide Receiver can't be addressed in the draft till Britt and Quinn prove in the next 12+ weeks they no longer have anything left going forward. They need at least 2-4 100 yard games as we finish this season. Lets watch T. Austin and Stedman Bailey get the real WR reps they need along with Gurley finally catching the ball. I want Tre' Mason catching the ball so bad it HURTS. Mason in the open field is a home run.

If Jenkins wants too much money then I'm Happy with Tru Johnson who has proved he can make the interception and can tackle and getting E. J. Gaines back with Roberson and Joyner plus a like third round CB. Plus another UDFA find by Snead.

The DE's like Oakman(Rookie coming out this season) who is a much bigger DE than C. Long who is listed at 275lbs but is not even close without his dads roids. He is like 263lbs and just breaks down in ankles,hips,back and now to add to the others is his knee. The other guy he banged knees with was still playing. No way he earns 11 million for what he totally brings in a season. I want a run stuffer along with a bull rush in the opposite DE they run away from Quinn and we would have a guy who could set the edge and collapse the pocket and really add to the MOB SQUAD with some real scary size and technique Williams could utilize. Oakman would probably end up being our 1st rounder unless the WR from heaven fell to us. The Ole' Miss WR wearing #1 Treadwell is not all that. Lets grab a 2nd rounder with our #2 and take Ragland with the iggles #2. Probably BPA at #1.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can see team needs for drafts just about every year.

They're not defined by the talent on a roster THIS season, they're defined by the direction the team wants to go and the talent you think will be there in the future. People posting that we have 6 needs - I disagree. You of course have to make some assumptions about who you re-sign and when, but what I think fans fail to realize is that rookies are not going to be expected to come in and make an impact....they're just not.

So when people say CB is a need because we might lose either JJ or TruJo....that's why we drafted both Joyner and Gaines and signed Roberson...if we lost JJ or TruJo we'd probably draft a CB (you can never have enough after all), but it'd likely be a developmental pick in the later rounds UNLESS that guy in the first or second round was clearly the best player.

Needs should not be looked at on a year to year basis; looking toward the future is the best way to go. Cap management and all that. This is just an example, I do NOT think this will happen:

But say that Snisher look at the cap situation when Aaron Donald is up to be re-signed 2-3 years from now. They notice that Gurley will be up around then, some of our OL which you think will stick, and a QB (no matter who it is, unless it's a rookie, he'll take up around $10 million) will all be on the books or about to need re-signed; they step back and look at everyone's contracts and decide that drafting a replacement for Robert Quinn and letting him go makes the most sense for the structure of this team, as Aaron Donald will likely command the highest contract in NFL history for a defensive player (whatever that is at that point). By that logic, DE is a need until it's filled, so if we drafted one in the first round next year, it'd be a good move.

What I think thus far:

1. QB - if a "franchise" QB is there, you have to take him

2. WR - a lot is made about a "#1 WR" and what does that mean? To me it means a guy that can get open and keep the chains moving on 3rd down consistently. We don't have that, and with a QB like Foles, you need it.

3. LB - I think it's time to get JL's heir apparent on the roster. Could also start in the base defense if they develop ahead of schedule.

4. DE - Long being injured two years in a row, Hayes aging and Sims status unknown after this season.

P, K, CB, S, DT, RB, OL are all positions I'm not drafting unless someone is clearly the BPA and I can't trade.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
May not be so bad off at CB.

I say we keep Jenkins or Johnson and that leaves us with Jenkins/Johnson, Gaines, Joyner, and Roberson. I wouldn't mind a third round CB, though. BPA none the less.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Yeah I hear ya.....Couple questions...if Fournette from LSU could come out and he fell to us & we had 0 trade offers, do you draft this rb?
I keep hearing about some TE's in here...Who are they? I haven't found one pass catcher that's a matchup nightmare...like these 6'5 - 6'7 types...big hands...LOL
Pass pro, pass pro...How much time does a QB need to release the ball? C'mon 43...How long? 2 seconds? 3....for a young line, these guys are doing OK...Not perfect...Getting hit a bunch, of course...But serviceable...esp. in pass pro...I think you're blaming the line because the QB can't find/locate the secondary targets.....and maybe the blame needs to fall on are these targets getting open? That's really is my only concern with the offense. The line is still getting better...Getting hit is no excuse...There are no "perfect" pockets every game, every play...lets stop making silly excuses for ridiculous play...2 red zone picks? 4 picks total!? Do you realize how careless this was?!? I watched the game again...All I said during the first half, especially after the picks was, "are you serious?"
So...yeah, the only player we really need (we'll we need to check out TE & possibly RG (pulling for Wichman) in this draft is a big time QB....maybe a wr...maybe....we still have games....still have FA's to sign....

I'll take a shot at replying, Champ, because I both like and respect your posting viewpoints...

Can't imagine that Snead couldn't generate at least one trade offer for Fournette. Might not be RG3 magnitude, but still...

I tend to speak in generalities in terms of the next draft. First, I'm not a draftnik. Don't even watch much college ball. But I do pay close attention to those whose opinions I have learned to respect. So I'm just passing along their collective opinions as to strength of TE, WR, and DE in the upcoming draft. The strength of the players and position groups come into increasingly better focus as time goes on, of course. So it will be a constantly self correcting thing in any case.

Foles probably needs 2.5 seconds or more. Just like any QB in the NFL. But it's more complicated than that. He needs 2.5 COMFORTABLE seconds. IOW, he lacks complete confidence in our current OL's ability to give him "quality" time. That's a huge component, I think. Would make him less jumpy. Hopefully, our OL will start to demonstrate to Foles that they can get the job done and he can feel more relaxed.

Another related thing. We are frequently in 3 TE sets for blocking purposes. Therefore, Foles may then have only Austin and possibly Cook as receiving targets. If neither gets open in his 2.5 seconds, Foles is screwed in many cases. That's why I keep preaching about the necessity for our OL to grow up. Too many valuable resources are currently being devoted to extra pass pro or extra run blocking.

Lastly, this game was an outlier for Foles. Worst game of his career, I believe. For example, he only had 1 int through the first 4 games.

We need for Foles, the OL, and the various receivers to settle down and start clicking together. I'm pretty sure that they will. But I'm not sure when. Maybe this next stretch of 5 games will be a giant step forward. We'll see.

As always, these are just my opinions based upon what I see on my TV from my recliner. Lol.

Alan

Legend
These are team needs and not positions I'd specifically target in the draft:
LT
TE
OC
DE
WR
In that order. I'm sure I have put WR lower on my list than many of you but I don't feel they've been given enough chance show us what they are due to the suspect play of our QB and the at times, atrocious play of our O-line. I know we've said things like that before with other WRs and us not having a decent QB/O-line. Before, those that thought that (like me) were for the, most part wrong. Our WR corps really was that bad with any QB/O-line. This time I think it's different. I liked our WRs coming into the season and nothing I've seen or read has changed my mind about that.Given another second to get open I think that won't be a weak link. Except for the TE's of course but then that why I have those guys near the top.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
WR only if really good #1 or Quick turns it on, OL, OL, OL, OL, LB, TE

Limey

Rookie
It is very early to be thinking about this, but this is particularly true for positions where we have young players who haven't had much of a chance yet, or are still getting used to the NFL, or where we have players coming back from serious injuries. It is way too early to be judging our OL and saying we need to replace most of them. We have 2 rookies, a 2nd year LT who has barely played a full season there and a C who is still adjusting to being a starter after only really playing ST apart from a handful of injury cover starts a few years ago. Looks to me like they are improving week by week. With so many inexperienced players, not to mention a new OC, a new QB and a new primary RB, did we seriously expect these guys to be great coming out of the traps? On the OL, we have depth guys we have barely seen yet. I'm in the Wichmann fan club, and think he and Brown will be more than good enough by the end of the season. GR is still learning, and maybe there is an argument for thinking about a LT, but they have Battle on the PS who was rated as a 2nd round talent, and will have had a year in an NFL weight room, plus Williams who looked decent in pre-season. At RT, Havenstein looks to me like he is progressing nicely, and we have barely seen Donnal yet. I think Barnes deserves a decent shot before we pencil in his replacement as well, and with his injury last year, Rhaney is basically a rookie and could be fine as a backup OL or even a starter at C if Barnes doesn't take his chance. At WR, Quick's injury, plus new QB, new OC, means it is too early to judge that position as well. I like Bailey, and Britt did OK last year. While I can see the need for a long term replacement for JL, both Hager and Lynch looked good in preseason and in ST, and Bates hasn't had many opportunities in the D.

I guess what I'm saying is that I think our roster looks strong now, and for me it is about re-signing our key FAs and then taking the BPA in the first few rounds while we have the luxury of not having glaring needs. Foles isn't elite, but looks like he could be good enough with the running game that is starting to emerge now. I agree that Cook has to go (if he doesn't have a damaged finger that nobody is talking about) but I'm prepared to give Kendricks the benefit of the doubt on his finger injury for his blocking ability. If the BPA happens to be Gronkowski's twin, great, but I wouldn't be reaching for an average TE if there is a stud available at another position, except maybe RB, in which case I would be looking to trade back for another late round pick, or, better still, a 2017 pick in an earlier round.

In the later rounds they can start planning for the future and drafting development guys, depending on what they think of the younger guys that they see in practice and we don't get to see on the field. The one need I do see is at this stage is a backup NT for Brockers (who I hope they will have sorted a long term deal with by the end of the season) but DTs who are exclusively run stuffers (which is all we need with Donald and Quinn in the DL) should be available in the later rounds.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think we can cross Barnes off that "inexperienced" list now.

He's been playing like a 5 year vet, if you ask me.

CoachO was way ahead of the curve regarding our C competition, obviously.

Hell, I wouldn't be averse to signing Barnes to an extension right now and removing C from our offseason to do list.