TE Zach Miller to visit Rams on Sunday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't know. This guy has logged A LOT of time on injured reserve.

If he truly is seeking $5M, I say buyer beware.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He is an insurance policy. The draft does not look great for TEs and the Rams need a pass catcher or two. TE is not a likely target this go round, especially if they don't recoup picks.

He does block. I wonder how much better he is than Cunningham, or the other TEs on the team.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The 31-year-old Miller isn’t a great run-blocker, though, and neither is Kendricks, and with the Rams set up to field a run-based offense led by Todd Gurley, Los Angeles might look to find a tight end who could be an asset in that part of the game, especially given that its offensive line ranked in the bottom-third of the league in adjusted line yards in 2015. Cook, for all his faults, was a top-15 run-blocking tight end last season, per Pro Football Focus.
Cook was way over paid for what we got production wise but a lot of his positives got overlooked IMO
Kendricks isn't great either but at least his contract isn't as stifling.
Either way, TE as a whole needs some help, just don't know I how he's the guy to do it

Ram65

Legend
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...ry-history-a-concern-for-chicago-bears-060815

TE Zach Miller's injury history a concern for Chicago Bears

Jun 8, 2015 at 9:13a ET

081514-nfl-Zach-Miller-pi-mp.vadapt.980.high.38.jpg

Tight end Zach Miller has flashed potential during OTA workouts, but theChicago Bears are understandably reluctant to toss any eggs into his basket. Miller has struggled with injuries in the past, and there's no telling whether he'll be healthy for the 2015 season.

"They just want me to be healthy," Miller said, according to Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune. "I don't want to think about it and I don't even want to hear about it or talk about it but I know that's part of the deal."

Miller's career dates back to 2009, when he was sixth-round selection of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Since then, he has sustained season-ending shoulder surgery, a serious Achilles tendon/calf muscle injury and a concussion, the Tribune includes in its report. Miller spent the entire 2014 season on injured reserve with a foot injury.

Bears head coach John Fox sees Miller's potential, if he's able to stay healthy.He has flashed," coach John Fox said. "He was a guy we heard had a great camp and some of the things we were able to research, he was a good get for us in the offseason. We just need him to stay healthy."

The Bears re-signed Miller to a one-year deal this offseason, even though he has not played a regular season game since 2011, when he was still a Jaguar. Miller has 45 career receptions for 470 yards and four touchdowns.
(h/t Chicago Tribune)
Photo Credit: Dennis Wierzbicki/USA TODAY Sports

His injury history would fit right in with the Rams. This is a toss up. A two year deal in the 6-7 Million range would be on the high side. I don't see 5 Million a year. The Rams are in big need of a TE that can catch the ball and block too. It the Rams had been paying him for those games he missed over his career he probably would get little love here. Buyer be ware.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
From PFF:

Zach Miller
2015 team: Chicago Bears

Miller is an interesting case — he was drafted in 2009 but to this point has only logged 1109 career snaps, and in 2015, he saw his first regular season playing time since 2011. He enjoyed a solid year in Chicago, posting the seventh-highest receiving grade among TEs while catching 81 percent of passes thrown his way and forcing 11 missed tackles – both figures ranked among the top ten at the position. Miller was particularly great late in the year with 18 of his 34 catches coming during the three-game stretch from Week 14 to 16. It will be interesting to see what happens given that he’s over 30 years old with a somewhat lackluster career resume and last season graded negatively as a run blocker. Teams could see his low mileage as a positive trait, however, and based on his play in 2015, Miller can definitely contribute in the passing game.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/bl...-leads-top-10-tight-ends-hitting-free-agency/
Sound like a good fit, and an inexpensive addition!!

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Is he a better all around TE than Cook?

Yes?

Okay then.
Is he better than Kendeicks? I believe so. I had high hopes for Lance Kendricks to become a really good all round TE and it just hasn't happened.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Nothing really exciting about this. Actually I'd be more disappointed with the signing as it lessens the chances of taking a guy in the draft.
I understand your reasoning, but I don't think we where going to take a TE in the draft, this year anyway!JMHO

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
He is an insurance policy. The draft does not look great for TEs and the Rams need a pass catcher or two. TE is not a likely target this go round, especially if they don't recoup picks.

He does block. I wonder how much better he is than Cunningham, or the other TEs on the team.

Cook was the better Run Blocker by far, and that includes, Harkey, Kendricks & Miller, … PFF gave him 73.9 points. The problem was his receiving and pass blocking where he scored 47.7 & 49.7 respectively.

Miller scores only 55 points as a run blocker, but was 86.3 as a receiver & 79.6 as a pass blocker.

Kendricks was our worst run blocker, grading at 43 points. His receiving score was almost as bad as Cook at 52 points, although he did pass block as well as Miller at 79.7 points.

Harkey came in second to Cook with a run blocking score of 67.1 points, but his receiving score was 60.2 points and his pass blocking came in at 51.3 points.

Cunningham only had 9 snaps, so not really gradable.

Perhaps if the Rams go with a short term 'show me' contract with Miller, maybe we go back to a true FB for our run blocking skills, … how about Gronk's little brother in the 6'th ?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Is he better than Kendeicks? I believe so. I had high hopes for Lance Kendricks to become a really good all round TE and it just hasn't happened.
Yeah, I thought so too. I knew he would be a very good blocker coming into the league, but I figured he'd be more of a receiving threat.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Another reason I believe this signing will come to fruition is that not only do you have the Mike Groh connection, but Offensive Coordinator Rob Boras coached Tight Ends in Jacksonville when Miller was a Jaguar.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Zach Miller, Chicago Bears

Unrestricted

It took six years for the potential of a former collegiate quarterback to finally come to fruition in the NFL, but Miller burst on the scene late in the 2015 season. When he was drafted in the sixth round of the 2009 NFL Draft by the Jacksonville Jaguars, he billed himself as a "poor man's Tim Tebow," but his athleticism and raw abilities never developed and injuries ended his career with the team that drafted him.

After missing 12 games in 2011 and the entire 2012 season, Miller was waived from the Jaguars injured reserve, spent the 2013 season on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers practice squad and the 2014 season on the Chicago Bears injured reserve. But four years after his last NFL appearance, Miller finally saw the field for Chicago and made an impact, quickly developing a rapport with Jay Cutler.

He caught a team-high five touchdown passes on the year, including a one-handed game winner in a Monday Night Football game against the San Diego Chargers. At age 31, Miller's lengthy injury history makes him a risky buy, but he displayed his potential as an impact player in 2015 and could be a cheap addition for an offense looking for playmakers.

The top free agent tight ends of 2016
By Jon Benne  @LordBenne on Feb 25, 2016, 9:00a 1

Jim Steve-USA TODAY Sports
This is a top-heavy class that gets pretty thin after the big names.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But but, we are using all our draft picks to get a QB

train

Exactly. The Rams have 6 picks. They may use some of those in a trade up. That means they need to do some non-thrilling, perhaps risky, signings to fill holes, instead of just drafting to fill holes. It's the way of the NFL.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Wait, there's two Zach Millers? One that was on the Raiders and Seahawks? I thought that was the same one.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Pros: Rams don't have to develop him like with Cook who was still raw when signed. He has very good hands.

Con: Dude cannot stay healthy.

Rams could hit on him, never know. I would ensure his contract is incentive-packed though.