Tavon Austin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jumping in the air and moving your legs in the air doesn't fool anyone.

Actually to his credit it slows the closest defender down because they puase then he accelerates past them... it just doesn't work when the other defenders don't puase and keep running in his direction. He makes the 1st person in space miss in most cases

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jumping in the air and moving your legs in the air doesn't fool anyone.

It's not meant to "fool" them. It allows Austin to gear down while maintaining his stride length which forces the defender with the angle to have to compensate out of respect for Austin's ability to hit the cutback lane. Which means that like Austin, they also gear down. The point of this is to give Austin the choice of cutting back quickly if they don't gear down or bursting back up to speed if they do gear down. Most guys don't have the burst that Austin does so when he accelerates, he can pick up more yards and even eliminate the angle on occasion.

Issue is that this is something that should be used when 1 on 1...not when you have 3 guys taking an angle. Which is why I haven't liked him using it on PRs lately.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I was actually impressed with the way he put his head down and made that first down.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't care where he was drafted, it just boggles my mind why he consistently runs sideways instead of trying to gain yards. I've seen sproles do this 3 weeks in a row, side step then hit it up a crease or at least try too... and he is 5"6' like TA... so what is all this talk of him being 5"5' anyway? That has nothing to do with getting upfield... sheesh... and the guy keeps shrinking

On punt returns he looks like he is trying to get out of bounds, he's got to get through the first wave to get the open space he needs. By going sideways he allows more of the coverage unit to get down the field and towards him eliminating the space. He's hemming himself in and I don't know why he and the coaches cannot see it and fix it, it's as plain as day.

About the jumping and moving his legs........he is baiting people to commit but it doesn't matter if there are other guys right there.

Bildeaux

UDFA
I'm tired of that high stepping he does though. If he just runs full blast on the side line and then jumps out, he probably picks up an additional 5 yards+. Not the first time he's done this.
I think he's just trying to live up to the press and is over doing it. Once he gets settled, he's gonna be one of the ones on the riser when we raise our next SB trophy.