Tavon Austin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
I joined this board after lurking through threads and stumbled across a tavon austin highlight thread. I was so excited after I watch the video I just had to reply to that thread and I wanted us to draft him. We spend a pick on him and give up a pick and to date I'm disappointed. He has all the talent in the world but why on earth does he ALWAYS run sideline to sideline?? There was a 3rd down play where he caught a ball running sideways and almost didn't get the 1st down because he didn't want to run forward... Every punt return he runs to the sidelines... I believe he doesn't return kicks because we will always start our offense inside th 10yrd line. What is going on with him?

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Probable won't live up to the lofty draft position accompanied with a 2 nd round pick that he cost. He's a gadget player / punt returner who should return kick offs as well. Build any game plan around him would a fools errand. He fast but weak.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He's been nursing a knee injury since September 14th, and hasn't been fully participating in practices. He showed too much last year for me to think that this is anything more than a sophomore slump and being a little behind at this point. I believe by the end of the year, you'll remember why we drafted him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tavon got the first down because he turned the corner on that play. If he had run north immediately, he would have gotten tackled short of the marker.

Athos

Legend
Tavon got the first down because he turned the corner on that play. If he had run north immediately, he would have gotten tackled short of the marker.

I'm tired of that high stepping he does though. If he just runs full blast on the side line and then jumps out, he probably picks up an additional 5 yards+. Not the first time he's done this.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm tired of that high stepping he does though. If he just runs full blast on the side line and then jumps out, he probably picks up an additional 5 yards+. Not the first time he's done this.

It works sometimes. But I don't like the way he's been using it of late. It's better when he's in the open-field.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Exhibit A:

Brian Quick

I think he's a good example of why not to judge WR's to soon.

V3

Hall of Fame
Having speed and quickness isn't enough in the NFL. You also need to be able to break tackles and he can't. If he can't break tackles then he's going to need near perfect conditions(absolutely everyone blocking their guy, the right play call, Austin making right decisions, luck, etc) for him to get explosive plays. His tiny catch radius and average vertical don't help things, either.

Last edited:

Cullen Bryant

Rookie
Name
Will
I'm disappointed he hasn't taken off yet but I still have no doubt he will at some point. I would like to see the Rams come into a game a little more determined to get him the ball.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I still think Tavon will be a star in this league but he needs to cut out that jumping shit he does when hes about to cut.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
I have a bad feeling that he will be every bit the disaster that many of us claimed he would be before the idiotic trade up. There are not many 5'7" superstars!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I have a bad feeling that he will be every bit the disaster that many of us claimed he would be before the idiotic trade up. There are not many 5'7" superstars!

As a guy who didn't really want Austin at first, this board had very few people who said he'd be "a disaster" during the draft days. Been here since 2010, and I'm a draft fanatic; I remember this stuff. I remember being in the minority. And I have a feeling that Austin's going to be well worth his trade-up. There are very few NFL players who have his combination of speed and elusiveness in open space.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As a guy who didn't really want Austin at first, this board had very few people who said he'd be "a disaster" during the draft days. Been here since 2010, and I'm a draft fanatic; I remember this stuff. I remember being in the minority. And I have a feeling that Austin's going to be well worth his trade-up. There are very few NFL players who have his combination of speed and elusiveness in open space.
Wish I could like this twice

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
I was on the "other" board at the time and would tell everyone who would listen that even the idea of Austin was a fool's errand. I take no pleasure in pointing out the fact that I was right, it is just common sense. Little bodies get punished by big bodies. At least Schotty didn't run him up the gut behind Joseph again today.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I was on the "other" board at the time and would tell everyone who would listen that even the idea of Austin was a fool's errand. I take no pleasure in pointing out the fact that I was right, it is just common sense. Little bodies get punished by big bodies. At least Schotty didn't run him up the gut behind Joseph again today.

The fact that you were right? Um...Tavon's career isn't over, you know. He's proven that he can take over games and cause huge momentum swings (see entire Colts game, end of Atlanta game, beginning of Chicago game). He's a mismatch nightmare in the mold of basically nobody I've ever seen in my lifetime; the only one who he truly reminds me of is Gale Sayers. Believe me, I was unsure about his size, but Tavon is tough, and I believe in him the same I did with Quick.

RamzFanz

Damnit
If you watch him in college it's pretty clear that he jukes and high steps to change the defenders speed and angle of attack. It keeps them from hitting him.

With Quick and Britt on the field TA is going to get his opportunity to explode this season IMHO. the question is, will they ever design plays with blocking so he can get a step or two.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Oh great, this shit again. Were you right about Brian Quick as well 4 games into his second season?

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dont you think its a little soon to declare that you were right or wrong about anything regarding Tavon Austin? It seems as if you are suggesting that his career has already been defined and he has no ability to get it together and become an impact player. I strongly disagree with that.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
Fair enough NJ, but again I defer to the very idea that a 5'7" receiver could ever be an impact player. For every DeSean, there are 10,00 McClusters.

There was never any reason to believe that Tavon Austin was the best offensive player in the draft. There was even less of a reason to give up a high second round pick to move up and grab him.

It ain't about right and wrong. It was my error even bringing that up.