Tavon Austin so far

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
The good news is this - he hasn't played very well so far and he still has 12 grabs for 80+ yards and 2TDs in 2 games. Thats pretty good production from a rookie WR no matter who you are.

But Tavon doesn't look like Tavon yet to me.

Is it the way he is being used? I have seen them look deep to him one time so far - he was open and he ended up drawing a PI call for a big gain. I know his game isn't the long ball - unless he is wide open he just doesn't have much of a chance to come down on a contested ball deep - but his long speed is what sets up his short game. Maybe Sam/Shotty need to show a little willingness to take the top off every now and then just to keep defenders thinking about it. Where has the drag route been? Line him up in the slot - roll Sam the other way - let Tavon dance for a second then head across the field.

How about the few running plays we have seen? Poor blocking? Lack of patience? Underestimating the tackling ability at the NFL level? Poor play design? Bad timing?

Its no secret to the rest of the league that we want him in space. Don't get cute about it -use a screen. Use a toss. We don't seem to have a problem getting DRich out in space.

Maybe Tavon just isn't playing as fast as he can yet - he doesn't seem to be playing with much swagger just yet - even on punt returns.

I think Tavon has the tools to be an elite weapon for us - I hope to start seeing it translate a bit more this week.

bluecoconuts

Legend
They took a deep shot to him Sunday too I think. Either way my guess is the offense is all coming together slowly. We have to remember these guys only have 2 games together, it takes a while.

RamzFanz

Damnit
He's been targeted once long each game. One resulted in a PI call, the other was well defended and incomplete.

I think it boils down to two issues. One is piss poor blocking on punt returns. The other is horrible play design/calling.

He COULD be getting the ball in the open field if they focused on doing that. Remember the over thrown TD pass in the preseason. Givens disrupted the coverage on TA. There's a hundred ways to accomplish the same thing.

At this point, I'm not at all happy with the coaching this season. It's so bad it almost seems intentional.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
It's just rookie jitters, it's happened to great players before and it'll happen to great players after.

Just look at Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, TO, Chad Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald. All elite receivers, but going by their stats alone it looked like most of them would never take off in the NFL. It's hard to get up to speed on the NFL, especially at receiver. Everything seems faster, the game, the throws, the DBs. It's a lot to catch up with. You can see he's getting there though, starting to get open more, starting to get past defenders. It's coming together for him, just takes a while. Just got to be patient.

Austin's main problem is he still tries to dance in the way that worked in college. It may have broken like 7 tackles on guys in college, but this is the NFL, everybody is a college superstar now means stuff like that isn't gonna fly on them. Thus he ends up just coming to a stop and not gaining yards he could have because he was trying to stutter step guys who eat stutter steps for breakfast.

Other parts I think come from the inherent worry, he is a pretty little guy. You don't want to put him in any situation where he's gonna get blown up, not yet anyways.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Ehh so far I'm not that impressed. Good news is he's getting involved early and often...give him so drag routes and screens when the D blitzes.

Graphicker

Starter
Man it's so awkward watching Tavon go deep. He's been solid but nothing spectacular. I loved it when we had him in the back field, It just seems that we're not utilizing him to his full potential yet. It's fine I suppose, We are on a trial by error process.

We just need to get him in space and he needs to quit dancing around too much. Seems like he makes 4 thousand moves just to gain one extra yard.

I do love the pick and he came up huge this past sunday.. Minus a crucial drop he was solid. I just hope we start to unleash him much more.
A guy IMO, Who earned more playing is Quick. Dude looks fast and assertive. Drops the foot down and just explodes. His YAC has been impressive and now I see why our WR coach has made comparisons to Owens. Quick looks like a guy who has been putting mad work.

Also, Is it me or did Givens have one of the least impressive 100+ yard games that I can ever remember? As a leader of the WR core Givens needs to distance himself as a top dog.. He's been so quiet and I'm hoping for a breakout performance.

A55VA6

Legend
In my opinion we need to line him up in the backfield SEVERAL times a game. Handoffs, playaction fakes, and running routes, but I think they don't want to put too much on Tavon's plate. His role will only grow with time. He's a playmaker and he's already shown in preseason and through a couple weeks, that he can play in the NFL. He just needs to be consistent.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I think we are only starting to use him, and he's only going to get better. Keep in mind, every time he touches the ball, he is a threat to score, he just hasn't broke one yet.

I like that we've done an end around in each game so far, I think that play is mandatory once a game, and eventually he'll have a big gainer from it.

RamzFanz

Damnit
HometownBoy said:
It's just rookie jitters, it's happened to great players before and it'll happen to great players after.

Just look at Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, TO, Chad Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald. All elite receivers, but going by their stats alone it looked like most of them would never take off in the NFL. It's hard to get up to speed on the NFL, especially at receiver. Everything seems faster, the game, the throws, the DBs. It's a lot to catch up with. You can see he's getting there though, starting to get open more, starting to get past defenders. It's coming together for him, just takes a while. Just got to be patient.

Austin's main problem is he still tries to dance in the way that worked in college. It may have broken like 7 tackles on guys in college, but this is the NFL, everybody is a college superstar now means stuff like that isn't gonna fly on them. Thus he ends up just coming to a stop and not gaining yards he could have because he was trying to stutter step guys who eat stutter steps for breakfast.

Other parts I think come from the inherent worry, he is a pretty little guy. You don't want to put him in any situation where he's gonna get blown up, not yet anyways.

I completely disagree.

I have analyzed many of his plays in college and so far in the NFL and his stutter steps DO work.

But first, he doesn't stutter step as much as people think he does. People just notice his stutter steps because it a rare skill. He does it with purpose, and as a guess I would say he's employed it less than 20% of the time.

Purpose 1) To disrupt the speed and direction of a defender so he doesn't take a big hit. He's great at disrupting the big hit. He also changes his stride to do the same thing.

Purpose 2) To get in the open. He's employed it well.

The issue is the blocking has been horrible and the play calling has not taken advantage of his skills.

He has sent many defenders to the ground with his stutter step but has only had one big return, the one where he had a single block in his immediate vicinity.

In the below example he sends 2 GB ST players to the ground. That block on number 30 fails and he takes down TA right after he lands. If that block holds for half a second, this return goes very long, perhaps to the house.

TAnew5_zps6b85e282.jpg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Graphicker said:
Also, Is it me or did Givens have one of the least impressive 100+ yard games that I can ever remember? As a leader of the WR core Givens needs to distance himself as a top dog.. He's been so quiet and I'm hoping for a breakout performance.

He hasn't looked completely healthy to me.

Against Atlanta he was noticeably gimpy along the sideline. I also saw some aches against the Cardinals.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A few thoughts on Tavon;

1) For a rookie... he's done pretty well. Let's face it - this is a slow maturing position. It takes time but he's already producing.

2) The coaches seem a little unsure how to use him. This disappoints me because the preseason chatter was they had held some things back. So far - not impressed with the play design.

3) His drops have been disappointing. This too I can chalk up to rookie status, however.

4) Yeah, he's trying to juke people without much chance to set up the juke. See #2.

5) He seems to work very hard. Couple that with the early production we've seen... He's gonna be good.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Graphicker said:
Man it's so awkward watching Tavon go deep. He's been solid but nothing spectacular. I loved it when we had him in the back field, It just seems that we're not utilizing him to his full potential yet. It's fine I suppose, We are on a trial by error process.

We just need to get him in space and he needs to quit dancing around too much. Seems like he makes 4 thousand moves just to gain one extra yard.

I do love the pick and he came up huge this past sunday.. Minus a crucial drop he was solid. I just hope we start to unleash him much more.
A guy IMO, Who earned more playing is Quick. Dude looks fast and assertive. Drops the foot down and just explodes. His YAC has been impressive and now I see why our WR coach has made comparisons to Owens. Quick looks like a guy who has been putting mad work.

I know what you mean about awkward on the long ball. I've thought that both times. I don't think he has a fast top speed. He accelerates fast, but I think he tops out early and defenders catch up with him. His legs are moving a million miles an hour but the fast defenders gain on him.

I think he dances around exactly when he should. When he's surrounded and trying to get free and when he's about to get hit. He's small. He HAS to dance to avoid the big hit. I doubt it will ever go away nor should it.

Graphicker

Starter
RamzFanz said:
Graphicker said:

I know what you mean about awkward on the long ball. I've thought that both times. I don't think he has a fast top speed. He accelerates fast, but I think he tops out early and defenders catch up with him. His legs are moving a million miles an hour but the fast defenders gain on him.

I think he dances around exactly when he should. When he's surrounded and trying to get free and when he's about to get hit. He's small. He HAS to dance to avoid the big hit. I doubt it will ever go away nor should it.

Yup. But I forgot who it was in the booth, But they wanted Tavon be assertive. But you're right. Taking that away from Tavon would be taking away his special ability.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Also, I don't think he is taking time to develope into a good receiver in the NFL. I think he IS a good receiver in the NFL. I think it's the horrible play calling that's limited him, not his ability or experience.

That's not to say he won't improve with experience. Of course he will. But I believe he would be top 20 right now if the coaching were taking advantage of what he has to offer.

I go back and watch him in every play and quite frankly, I don't see a single mistake other than the dropped pass. I don't see him dancing when he shouldn't. I see him open often. Of course, he may be screwing up routes and I wouldn't know.

Does anyone have any examples of him screwing up or dancing when he shouldn't?

RamzFanz

Damnit
Graphicker said:
Yup. But I forgot who it was in the booth, But they wanted Tavon be assertive. But you're right. Taking that away from Tavon would be taking away his special ability.

It was Torry Holt so, of course, he knows what he's talking about. However, he said that early in the preseason and TA started taking the yards instead of trying to get open the very next game. I wouldn't be surprised if Torry talked to him.

V3

Hall of Fame
I'll just say I'm not really pleased and keep it at that.

V3

Hall of Fame
HE WITH HORNS said:
V3 said:

So far. We'll see what happens after his first 80 yard TD play.

That would require a coordinator that knew how to use him.

RamzFanz

Damnit
V3 said:
HE WITH HORNS said:
V3 said:

So far. We'll see what happens after his first 80 yard TD play.

That would require a coordinator that knew how to use him.

That.

AND it will require blocking. No returners are good without SOME blocking. It's been completely non-existent.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Austin has been pretty much what I expected so far simply playing the typical slot WR role.

What I had hoped for however, is that he'd be used more creatively.