Tavon Austin so far

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Memphis Ram said:
Austin has been pretty much what I expected so far simply playing the typical slot WR role.

[hilite]What I had hoped for however, is that he'd be used more creatively.[/hilite]
Yeah. We sure heard an awful lot about the many different ways he'd be utilized, but ... ? I wonder if coordinators ever get with players and let the players explain what it is they feel they can do best, and what they think are the best ways to utilize their talents.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
RamzFanz said:
HometownBoy said:
It's just rookie jitters, it's happened to great players before and it'll happen to great players after.

Just look at Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, TO, Chad Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald. All elite receivers, but going by their stats alone it looked like most of them would never take off in the NFL. It's hard to get up to speed on the NFL, especially at receiver. Everything seems faster, the game, the throws, the DBs. It's a lot to catch up with. You can see he's getting there though, starting to get open more, starting to get past defenders. It's coming together for him, just takes a while. Just got to be patient.

Austin's main problem is he still tries to dance in the way that worked in college. It may have broken like 7 tackles on guys in college, but this is the NFL, everybody is a college superstar now means stuff like that isn't gonna fly on them. Thus he ends up just coming to a stop and not gaining yards he could have because he was trying to stutter step guys who eat stutter steps for breakfast.

Other parts I think come from the inherent worry, he is a pretty little guy. You don't want to put him in any situation where he's gonna get blown up, not yet anyways.

I completely disagree.

I have analyzed many of his plays in college and so far in the NFL and his stutter steps DO work.

But first, he doesn't stutter step as much as people think he does. People just notice his stutter steps because it a rare skill. He does it with purpose, and as a guess I would say he's employed it less than 20% of the time.

Purpose 1) To disrupt the speed and direction of a defender so he doesn't take a big hit. He's great at disrupting the big hit. He also changes his stride to do the same thing.

Purpose 2) To get in the open. He's employed it well.

The issue is the blocking has been horrible and the play calling has not taken advantage of his skills.

He has sent many defenders to the ground with his stutter step but has only had one big return, the one where he had a single block in his immediate vicinity.

In the below example he sends 2 GB ST players to the ground. That block on number 30 fails and he takes down TA right after he lands. If that block holds for half a second, this return goes very long, perhaps to the house.

TAnew5_zps6b85e282.jpg
Seems like people are just searching for things to complain about this week. In this thread the target is TA, who is probably one of the most exciting things to happen to this team in years. Seriously folks, are we really going to get down on our rookie speed burner rockstar after only 2 games?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Stranger said:
Seriously folks, are we really going to get down on our rookie speed burner rockstar after only 2 games?

Good point.

At his position.

2-games is nothing.

Relax.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
Stranger said:
Seriously folks, are we really going to get down on our rookie speed burner rockstar after only 2 games?

Good point.

At his position.

2-games is nothing.

Relax.
He's gonna have more bad games than good in the first year, I think.
So buckle up, Rams fans. Whole lotta complain' and esplain' left to do this year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
CGI_Ram said:
Stranger said:

Good point.

At his position.

2-games is nothing.

Relax.
He's gonna have more bad games than good in the first year, I think.
So buckle up, Rams fans. Whole lotta complain' and esplain' left to do this year.

I think we all fall subject to it; instant expectations.

But at WR, QB, and DT... patience is in order.

F. Mulder

Starter
I'm all for the patience stuff but I think he is (or should) be realizing that you don't juke out too many NFLer's. Also, the ball from the QB is on you more quickly and the routes must be precise not rounded. I think he will get that but right now you (and TA) can see we aren't at WVU anymore Dorothy.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
F. Mulder said:
I'm all for the patience stuff but I think he is (or should) be realizing that you don't juke out too many NFLer's. Also, the ball from the QB is on you more quickly and the routes must be precise not rounded. I think he will get that but right now you (and TA) can see we aren't at WVU anymore Dorothy.

That's a fair statement.

V3

Hall of Fame
Stranger said:
RamzFanz said:
HometownBoy said:
It's just rookie jitters, it's happened to great players before and it'll happen to great players after.

Just look at Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, TO, Chad Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald. All elite receivers, but going by their stats alone it looked like most of them would never take off in the NFL. It's hard to get up to speed on the NFL, especially at receiver. Everything seems faster, the game, the throws, the DBs. It's a lot to catch up with. You can see he's getting there though, starting to get open more, starting to get past defenders. It's coming together for him, just takes a while. Just got to be patient.

Austin's main problem is he still tries to dance in the way that worked in college. It may have broken like 7 tackles on guys in college, but this is the NFL, everybody is a college superstar now means stuff like that isn't gonna fly on them. Thus he ends up just coming to a stop and not gaining yards he could have because he was trying to stutter step guys who eat stutter steps for breakfast.

Other parts I think come from the inherent worry, he is a pretty little guy. You don't want to put him in any situation where he's gonna get blown up, not yet anyways.

I completely disagree.

I have analyzed many of his plays in college and so far in the NFL and his stutter steps DO work.

But first, he doesn't stutter step as much as people think he does. People just notice his stutter steps because it a rare skill. He does it with purpose, and as a guess I would say he's employed it less than 20% of the time.

Purpose 1) To disrupt the speed and direction of a defender so he doesn't take a big hit. He's great at disrupting the big hit. He also changes his stride to do the same thing.

Purpose 2) To get in the open. He's employed it well.

The issue is the blocking has been horrible and the play calling has not taken advantage of his skills.

He has sent many defenders to the ground with his stutter step but has only had one big return, the one where he had a single block in his immediate vicinity.

In the below example he sends 2 GB ST players to the ground. That block on number 30 fails and he takes down TA right after he lands. If that block holds for half a second, this return goes very long, perhaps to the house.

TAnew5_zps6b85e282.jpg
Seems like people are just searching for things to complain about this week. In this thread the target is TA, who is probably one of the most exciting things to happen to this team in years. Seriously folks, are we really going to get down on our rookie speed burner rockstar after only 2 games?

Please don't call him a rockstar. You have to earn that. He hasn't. It's disrespectful to the players that HAVE done something in the NFL. I'm not saying he can't. I'm just saying he hasn't done anything yet so don't go proclaiming him as the best thing to happen to this team in years.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
"Potentially" is a good qualifier.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah - the guy has played 2 NFL games and only has 2 TDs to show for it. I want my money back.

What? We're those TDs accidents or gimmes?

It took Torry 11 games to score his 3rd TD. Sure hope he isn't a bust like THAT guy.

He's on pace to have a few less yards than Torry did by the end of his rookie season. I'm actually going to bet he surpasses Torry in both yards AND TDs. But then of course he should. Torry is only a sure fire HOFer. Meh.

A55VA6

Legend
RamFan503 said:
Yeah - the guy has played 2 NFL games and only has 2 TDs to show for it. I want my money back.

What? We're those TDs accidents or gimmes?

It took Torry 11 games to score his 3rd TD. Sure hope he isn't a bust like THAT guy.

He's on pace to have a few less yards than Torry did by the end of his rookie season. I'm actually going to bet he surpasses Torry in both yards AND TDs. But then of course he should. Torry is only a sure fire HOFer. Meh.
Good points. :plus1:

Graphicker

Starter
Of course no one expected him to set the NFL on fire. We all have tempered our expectations. It's a double edged sword at the moment, Being drafted that high and coming out with so much hype, One would just expect a huge impact. We have yet to see that in the offense and in Special teams.. I predicted 800 yards and 6-8 TD's this season. Not out of this world numbers but solid ones.

But I can totally understand why some are frustrated. He has yet to break a long one and is leaving a lot to be desired after the catch. That's fine with me, Barely week 2 and Marty is still trying to press the right buttons.

Scary thing is that the offense is producing points and massive yardage while staying competitive. Just imagine once things begin to click? Holly shit man, Givens and Cook are licking there chops to go deep.

I fully understand why people are frustrated and just hang on tight. Remember when Ty Hill went HAM on the Broncos his first game lol? Then he sucked a$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for ever :lmao:

We'll get a good feel for this team once we hit week 8.. I was extremely frustrated by our players last week. I am one to rarely lose my cool. But the play calling along with the penalties really killed my Vibe. Alcohol really chilled me out that day..

Would really be awesome to be 2-0 right now. But fack it man, We are in second place and we need to go whip some cowgirl ass.
Tavon has a great work ethic and that's what keeps me as a believer in him.. Remember, ONE HUNNA!