Tavon Austin so far

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
CGI_Ram said:
F. Mulder said:
I'm all for the patience stuff but I think he is (or should) be realizing that you don't juke out too many NFLer's. Also, the ball from the QB is on you more quickly and the routes must be precise not rounded. I think he will get that but right now you (and TA) can see we aren't at WVU anymore Dorothy.

That's a fair statement.

I don't think it's a fair statement at all. People continue to claim he Jukes too much AND that it doesn't work in the NFL.

Does anyone have any examples where his moves should not have been used? Or where they didn't work because it was an NFL defender? I don't have any regular game screen captures but in the preseason when people were making those statements I went and looked and I was of the opinion they were wisely used and effective.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Graphicker said:
You could say that we're taking away the stress away from Tavon.

And putting it on the Japanese butter making league?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
RamzFanz said:
CGI_Ram said:
F. Mulder said:
I'm all for the patience stuff but I think he is (or should) be realizing that you don't juke out too many NFLer's. Also, the ball from the QB is on you more quickly and the routes must be precise not rounded. I think he will get that but right now you (and TA) can see we aren't at WVU anymore Dorothy.

That's a fair statement.

I don't think it's a fair statement at all. People continue to claim he Jukes too much AND that it doesn't work in the NFL.

Does anyone have any examples where his moves should not have been used? Or where they didn't work because it was an NFL defender? I don't have any regular game screen captures but in the preseason when people were making those statements I went and looked and I was of the opinion they were wisely used and effective.

Oh sure. Derail our derailment. :sly:

RamzFanz

Damnit
RamFan503 said:
Graphicker said:
X said:
QHv1qpi.png

This is a no Fap zone!

kluJjdP.gif

What in THE hell is going on there? A butter making competition?

So that's what I've been doing? Churning butter?

Never knew that. Sounds legit though.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
RamzFanz said:
CGI_Ram said:
F. Mulder said:

That's a fair statement.

Yeah, I made a post agreeing with you realizing that you were right on the money when you said it looks like most of his steps were to avoid big hits. Must not have went through.

However when you look at it how RZFZ put it, it's not so bad. Rather he not get blown up than miss valuable learning time sitting on the bench because a salty LBer turned him into a crash test dummy.

WvuIN02

Starter
I dont understand the Rams use of him.

Bradford checks down about a billion times to wide open DR so far this season. If that was instead Tavon, he would have done far more with those touches than DR.

He isnt an every down back, but for Christs sake, swap him in at tail back like he was used at WVU and swing him in the open. We motioned him and used a shovel pass many times, and many times that same play he was a decoy that led to another RB going the other way for a huge gain.

There is just ZERO creativity from Schottenheimer using Tavon. Where are the bubble screens and such as designed plays for him? He was a focal point of the offense, and for the Rams he just seems like he is being used as option number 3-4 most of the time.

Until the Rams actually force BS to create plays for him, his talents will be wasted.

RamzFanz

Damnit
HometownBoy said:
RamzFanz said:

Yeah, I made a post agreeing with you realizing that you were right on the money when you said it looks like most of his steps were to avoid big hits. Must not have went through.

However when you look at it how RZFZ put it, it's not so bad. Rather he not get blown up than miss valuable learning time sitting on the bench because a salty LBer turned him into a crash test dummy.

Exactly. That's why he's never missed a game. It's amazing once you are LOOKING for him to make moves to avoid the hit. There are many examples from college where he is obviously not going to get away so he changes his stride, or stutter steps, or makes a juke just to throw the defender off so he has to change his angle of attack thus draining speed so he won't get hit big or TA can get out of bounds. He seems to be VERY AWARE of who TA is and who he is not.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
V3 said:
Stranger said:
RamzFanz said:
HometownBoy said:
It's just rookie jitters, it's happened to great players before and it'll happen to great players after.

Just look at Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, TO, Chad Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald. All elite receivers, but going by their stats alone it looked like most of them would never take off in the NFL. It's hard to get up to speed on the NFL, especially at receiver. Everything seems faster, the game, the throws, the DBs. It's a lot to catch up with. You can see he's getting there though, starting to get open more, starting to get past defenders. It's coming together for him, just takes a while. Just got to be patient.

Austin's main problem is he still tries to dance in the way that worked in college. It may have broken like 7 tackles on guys in college, but this is the NFL, everybody is a college superstar now means stuff like that isn't gonna fly on them. Thus he ends up just coming to a stop and not gaining yards he could have because he was trying to stutter step guys who eat stutter steps for breakfast.

Other parts I think come from the inherent worry, he is a pretty little guy. You don't want to put him in any situation where he's gonna get blown up, not yet anyways.

I completely disagree.

I have analyzed many of his plays in college and so far in the NFL and his stutter steps DO work.

But first, he doesn't stutter step as much as people think he does. People just notice his stutter steps because it a rare skill. He does it with purpose, and as a guess I would say he's employed it less than 20% of the time.

Purpose 1) To disrupt the speed and direction of a defender so he doesn't take a big hit. He's great at disrupting the big hit. He also changes his stride to do the same thing.

Purpose 2) To get in the open. He's employed it well.

The issue is the blocking has been horrible and the play calling has not taken advantage of his skills.

He has sent many defenders to the ground with his stutter step but has only had one big return, the one where he had a single block in his immediate vicinity.

In the below example he sends 2 GB ST players to the ground. That block on number 30 fails and he takes down TA right after he lands. If that block holds for half a second, this return goes very long, perhaps to the house.

TAnew5_zps6b85e282.jpg
Seems like people are just searching for things to complain about this week. In this thread the target is TA, who is probably one of the most exciting things to happen to this team in years. Seriously folks, are we really going to get down on our rookie speed burner rockstar after only 2 games?

Please don't call him a rockstar. You have to earn that. He hasn't. It's disrespectful to the players that HAVE done something in the NFL. I'm not saying he can't. I'm just saying he hasn't done anything yet so don't go proclaiming him as the best thing to happen to this team in years.
I have absolutely no issue with calling Tavon a rockstar and one of the best things to happen to this team in years. I think every fan was excited when the Rams jumped-up to draft him, and I know Rams' coaching staff and F.O. were super excited. Hence, I see absolutely no justification at this early juncture to doubt Tavon's destiny. He's smart, humble, a hard worker, and has all of the God-given talent one could ever want in the NFL. Everything is there.

Yeah, but he hasn't returned a punt to the house in his first two regular season starts, so I guess I should start doubting his trajectory and become anxious about the worthiness of our draft day move. Sorry, I guess I didn't get that memo.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
appx 700 yards
16 TD's
90+ catches
I will take it
This is what happens if you multiply his 2 games by the remaining games.
Not bad for a rookie and certainly not realistic but since we are already projecting his worthiness at 8 might as well use the facts we have

RAM$

UDFA
If anyone remembers how Salas was used when McD was here I think Tavon would kill that role with like 3 screens a game, get a lot of easy yardage and break some long ones just my opinion.

bskrilla

Starter
In regards to him juking too much, or it not working on the NFL level.

Many of us only saw his highlight reels where his jukes worked on literally every play in the video....because it's a highlight video. You can't tell me there weren't plenty of times in college where he tried to put on the moves and it looked like it has the first few games here. You could probably put together a highlight reel of Tavon trying to make something happen after the catch and getting no where that was also about 10 minutes long.

It only works some of the time, but when it does, look out.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bskrilla said:

Many of us only saw his highlight reels where his jukes worked on literally every play in the video....because it's a highlight video. You can't tell me there weren't plenty of times in college where he tried to put on the moves and it looked like it has the first few games here. You could probably put together a highlight reel of Tavon trying to make something happen after the catch and getting no where that was also about 10 minutes long.

Good point.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
V3 said:
HE WITH HORNS said:
V3 said:
I'll just say I'm not really pleased and keep it at that.

So far. We'll see what happens after his first 80 yard TD play.

That would require a coordinator that knew how to use him.

To "use" him, you just need to get him the ball. And we've got him alot of touches so far. Patience. . . . .

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
RAM$ said:
If anyone remembers how Salas was used when McD was here I think Tavon would kill that role with like 3 screens a game, get a lot of easy yardage and break some long ones just my opinion.

I have also been very frustrated that we haven't seen any bubble screens to Austin when the defense starts to back off. The Falcons killed us with them to Julio. Austin can certainly do the same if teams try to play us soft.

I did love the play-call that had him run behind the LOS across the field on that boot-leg. Play only gained a couple yards due to a nice tackle in space by Mathieu but it was the type of play-call I wanted to see more of. A play designed to utilize misdirection and Austin's speed/stature to get him the ball in space. Vikes ran that play a lot with Harvin.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
bskrilla said:

Man... Great post. Thank you.

TexasRam

Legend
rdlkgliders said:
appx 700 yards
16 TD's
90+ catches
I will take it
Not bad for a rookie and certainly not realistic but since we are already projecting his worthiness at 8 might as well use the facts we have

Torry Holt Rookie year:

52 rec 788 yards 6 td

Tavon Austin on Pace for:

90 Rec 700 yards 16 TD

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
bskrilla said:

In general I agree with you.

But I saw the entire OK game and most of his jukes worked. He could have had 700 all purpose yards in that game if they decided to target him. He was almost unstoppable. That is what everyone thought they were getting when they drafted him

But as others have said, it's only 2 games

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
TexasRam said:
rdlkgliders said:
appx 700 yards
16 TD's
90+ catches
I will take it

Torry Holt Rookie year:

52 rec 788 yards 6 td

Tavon Austin on Pace for:

90 Rec 700 yards 16 TD

I see your point, but if it takes that many catches to get less yards, then our offense is just not efficient. My biggest issue so far has been that we only seem to target TA on short hitch routes. There have been a couple completions on sideline fade routes that look pretty much uncoverable, but still BS calls for the 2yd hitch route. I get that they want him in space, but the Ds we have face so far are key on containing him on those short, middle routes. If we can get Quick and Givens spooled up, they will have to drop coverage and then..... BOOM. Cookie and TA are the poisons left to pick from.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2