Tavon Austin, Austin Pettis steal the show Tuesday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Tavon Austin is apparently having a pretty good day at OTAs on Tuesday. This is not new. The St. Louis Rams' first-round pick has been having good days for most of the spring workouts so far. As he should. He's a very good football player, and the Rams didn't draft him to be a slot receiver. On Tuesday, Austin got the chance to show off his skills as a punt returner.

It was an experience Johnny Hekker won't soon forget.

Mike Sando of ESPN - in town to cover OTAs this week - described the scene in an afternoon blog post. Austin cleared the first wave of gunners. Shooting down the sidelines, he soon passed everyone, except for the last line of defense: Hekker himself.

Sando has a few other notes from practice that you should definitely check out. There's one in particular that stands out to me: Austin Pettis.

By all accounts Pettis has been on fire in spring workouts. Yes, I'll be first to throw out the usual caveat about reading too much into non-contact practices, but there's enough noise around Pettis' work to take note. Sando's not one prone to hyperbole over stuff like this either.

Pettis could actually take over Danny Amendola's former role in the slot with a little work on the outside too.

Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer had this to say about his after Tuesday's practice, from the transcript:

"I think if you guys watch him, he does a great job of coaching these young guys. He's a professional. Quite honestly, he's probably having the best camp of all the skill players. He's just a tireless worker. Very competitive. He can play all the spots, which helps. He's having a tremendous spring."

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/6/11/4420192/st-louis-rams-otas-2013-tavon-austin-austin-pettis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/6/11/ ... tin-pettis</a>

nighttrain

Legend
Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer had this to say about his after Tuesday's practice, from the transcript:

"I think if you guys watch him, he does a great job of coaching these young guys. He's a professional. Quite honestly, he's probably having the best camp of all the skill players. He's just a tireless worker. Very competitive. He can play all the spots, which helps. He's having a tremendous spring."

sounds like real & earned praise from Schott
train

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yep. Very helpful that he spent half his time in the slot and half on the outside. Great depth player.

Sent via Tapatalk2.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Austin Pettis has always been some what of an afterthought when I think of our receivers.This needs to change, can anyone give me some of his upsides and really why he should be in Horns?

nighttrain

Legend
towards the end of last season he really seemed to pick up his game, couple of very nice red zone catches for TD's. Not what you want from your starters, but very good backup
train

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
nighttrain said:
towards the end of last season he really seemed to pick up his game, couple of very nice red zone catches for TD's. Not what you want from your starters, but very good backup
train

Exactly. Plus factor in he isn't very expensive at all, and that he can come in when they run a 4 wide set and be a second big WR he has his place on the roster.

Lining up 4 guys, out of the shotgun formation, two that are 6'3'', then two smaller guys like Bailey and Austin and then Cook at 6'5'' and that's a problematic thing for the defense because at least one of those guys is being covered by someone who isn't qualified to do it and a LB cannot cover Cook. Throw in some motion to over load one side and leave Austin on the other alone and DC's will be stressing out.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
LesBaker said:
Exactly. Plus factor in he isn't very expensive at all, and that he can come in when they run a 4 wide set and be a second big WR he has his place on the roster.

Lining up 4 guys, out of the shotgun formation, two that are 6'3'', then two smaller guys like Bailey and Austin and then Cook at 6'5'' and that's a problematic thing for the defense because at least one of those guys is being covered by someone who isn't qualified to do it and a LB cannot cover Cook. Throw in some motion to over load one side and leave Austin on the other alone and DC's will be stressing out.

Thanks man....now I understand his place on the roster....next step in my education is to watch that video of every time he was targeted last season.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
RamsFanCK said:
Austin Pettis has always been some what of an afterthought when I think of our receivers.This needs to change, can anyone give me some of his upsides and really why he should be in Horns?

I dont think he has anymore upside, can only get more savy and seasoned IMO. He has solid hands, good quickness in a short route range to go along with a long lanky frame (which these traits show solid in redzone) but he one of the slowest straight line running WRs I have ever saw. And while the NFL isn't about straight line speed, I think Pettis's lack of straight line explosion will have him remain just a situational WR for his career. Like he was last season in the redzone. Barring any injuries to our WRs, I cant see Pettis catching more than 45 catches. And if the young cats get going early than Pettis may find himself as the 6th or 7th pass catcher on the team. I see Pettis catching 25-35 balls, like last season. And as a situational backup pass catcher im fine with that.

Pettis could actually take over Danny Amendola's former role in the slot with a little work on the outside too.

:lmao: that one made me laugh. A healthy Danny trumps Pettis in all facets of the game. And unfortunately for Pettis, Tavon and Cook will be seeing the majority of Slot snaps. And when we go 4 or 5 wide I want Kendricks/Bailey/Quick in the game.

MauiRam

Rookie
I dont think he has anymore upside, can only get more savy and seasoned IMO. He has solid hands, good quickness in a short route range to go along with a long lanky frame (which these traits show solid in redzone) but he one of the slowest straight line running WRs I have ever saw. And while the NFL isn't about straight line speed, I think Pettis's lack of straight line explosion will have him remain just a situational WR for his career. Like he was last season in the redzone. Barring any injuries to our WRs, I cant see Pettis catching more than 45 catches. And if the young cats get going early than Pettis may find himself as the 6th or 7th pass catcher on the team. I see Pettis catching 25-35 balls, like last season. And as a situational backup pass catcher im fine with that.

:lmao: that one made me laugh. A healthy Danny trumps Pettis in all facets of the game. And unfortunately for Pettis, Tavon and Cook will be seeing the majority of Slot snaps. And when we go 4 or 5 wide I want Kendricks/Bailey/Quick in the game.

That one makes me laugh .. All facets of the game? C'mon.

Pettis has been undervalued since he arrived. I won't speculate as to how many times he will be targeted this year, but when he fully gains Sam's confidence, he'll see plenty of balls coming his way. Pettis is a guy who can move the chains. He probably has the best hands of all our receivers and TEs combined. At 6'3" he is a threat in the red zone as well. This being his 2nd year in the same offense, he will play faster. When we desperately need to convert on third down, Pettis will be there.

Steve Largent and Fred Biletnikoff weren't blazers either, but they did pretty well in this league.

Danny Amendola:
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 185 lbs.
Speed: 4.58 40 yd dash

Austin Pettis:
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 209
Speed: 4.56 40-yard dash (official)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
MauiRam said:
Pettis has been undervalued since he arrived. I won't speculate as to how many times he will be targeted this year, but when he fully gains Sam's confidence, he'll see plenty of balls coming his way. Pettis is a guy who can move the chains. He probably has the best hands of all our receivers and TEs combined. At 6'3" he is a threat in the red zone as well. This being his 2nd year in the same offense, he will play faster. When we desperately need to convert on third down, Pettis will be there.

Steve Largent and Fred Biletnikoff weren't blazers either, but they did pretty well in this league.

Danny Amendola:

Austin Pettis:

He's going to be more of a situational guy than the others I would guess, but he will have success IMO. You're right about moving the chains and being a red zone target.

Don't forget guys.....he has a 34" vertical leap and a 10' broad jump.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
MauiRam said:

Danny Amendola:

Austin Pettis:

I dont judge players speed by 40 time. Jerry Rice certinely wasn't the 4.6 that he ran.... I judge it by the eye test on the field and Pettis is a sloth when having to run more than a 8-10 yard route. No real bad knock thats just how it is. Dont have to be a blazer to have good success in the league, no sir, nor did I ever say that.

Maybe it was a SLIGHT exaggeration but yes for the most part Danny is >>>> Pettis. Danny has the up on him at speed, quickness, rout running, hands, versatility, whether that is at PR, taking hand offs on an end around, or ability to play slot AND outside with some success (a thing I do not think Pettis is capable of). But hey thats just my opinion. Were all entitled to one. :yeh:

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
MauiRam probably straight from the beach:

Danny Amendola:

Austin Pettis:

While I agree with a toned down version of your view point, your stat comparison between DA and AP leaves out the main difference between the two. DA's short area quickness (in pads) and route running is what separates him from AP and is also what allowed him to get separation in his routes. Pettis is getting better all the time though.

Biggame1190 thinking we have more than we do:
And if the young cats get going early than Pettis may find himself as the 6th or 7th pass catcher on the team.

Which of these WRs we have on our roster do you think will bump him down from at the worst #5? One of the UDFAs we signed? I strongly disagree with your statement.

Brian Quick
Chris Givens
Stedman Bailey
Tavon Austin
Raymond Radway
Nick Johnson

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I don't think Bailey is going to pass Pettis on the depth chart this year. Pettis is just too well rounded at this point and can play all over the field. That's not just lip service by Schottenheimer either. He literally played all over the field last year, and successfully at that.

MauiRam

Rookie
biggame1190 said:
I dont judge players speed by 40 time. Jerry Rice certinely wasn't the 4.6 that he ran.... I judge it by the eye test on the field and Pettis is a sloth when having to run more than a 8-10 yard route. No real bad knock thats just how it is.
A sloth huh? You will be in for a pleasant surprise this year - Austin's 2nd year in the same offense. He will play much faster - already is according to camp reports.

biggame1190 said:
Maybe it was a SLIGHT exaggeration but yes for the most part Danny is >>>> Pettis and your a fool if you think otherwise haha. Danny has the up on him at speed, quickness, rout running, hands, versatility, whether that is at PR, taking hand offs on an end around, or ability to play slot AND outside with some success (a thing I do not think Pettis is capable of). But hey thats just my opinion. Were entitled to one. :yeh:
A fool? My my .. I loved watching Danny A. He had the heart of a Lion, and was very quick in limited space. That said, I'll take Tavon Austin in a heartbeat. Pettis will be a very productive player for us this year - particularly with the added speed weapons available to us this year which will force defenses to play us honest. Route running maybe they're close with the edge going to Danny so far .. Best hands go to Pettis. Danny was very shifty in limited space, Pettis is agile as well as evidenced by his performance in the shuttle at the 2011 combine:

Former Boise State wide receiver Austin Pettis ran the fastest 20-yard shuttle by a receiver in recent NFL Scouting Combine history Sunday in Indianapolis.

Pettis ran the shuttle in 3.88 seconds, fastest among the receivers at the 2011 combine.

I really don't care how many catches Pettis racks up - I care about 1st downs, scoring in the red zone, and WINNING!! I believe Pettis will prove to be a valuable asset on offense in 2013.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
So what I'm gathering from thinks he has good agility, and has the height and reach to be a good redzone threat. How's his release and acceleration?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamsFanCK said:
So what I'm gathering from thinks he has good agility, and has the height and reach to be a good redzone threat. How's his release and acceleration?
By release I guess you mean off the line. His short yardage acceleration and agility are both very good.
I have a video I made here somewhere.....

.... just let me see if I can find it.

..... I know I put it here somewhere.

....... hold on a sec.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEJ0LoiUaeI[/youtube]

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
X said:
RamsFanCK said:
By release I guess you mean off the line. His short yardage acceleration and agility are both very good.
I have a video I made

Hell yeah, that's awesome...thanks man...sounds like he's more of a possession and redzone receiver....I'll definitely watch that video when I get home.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamsFanCK said:
X said:
RamsFanCK said:
I have a video I made

Hell yeah, that's awesome...thanks man...sounds like he's more of a possession and redzone receiver....I'll definitely watch that video when I get home.
He did come on towards the end of the year as a redzone threat, but he's truly capable of much more than that. I don't think he's getting a real fair shake at the moment because he was part of that whole 2011 disaster in which NOBODY looked like they knew how to play football. But if you go back even further than that video I gave you and look at some of his Boise State highlights, you'll see what he's capable of being. He really does have a windmill-like catching radius that will only benefit Bradford. I expect Sam and Pettis to continue where they left off last year and hook up even more this year.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Pettis will probably play the whole year. DA probably won't.