Tavon Austin, Austin Pettis steal the show Tuesday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He should be able to get more receptions than last year, he only got 30, though 16 came in the last 5 games according to the game logs. I don't see him as a dynamic play maker though. To me he is the big bodied target that gets the first downs and pulls down the pass in the end zone.

I think he is going to save some drives on 3rd and long situations.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Pettis may be our cheaper Gibby this year. I saw some pretty inconsistent play there coupled with some really good plays. Y'know... kinda like Gibby. We'll see if he can eliminate some of those unanswerable drops and lapses in judgement of when to just get that first down. For the most part he does a good job of getting the ball past the chains but at least one of those, he went backward (again ala Gibby 2011) when he could have easily secured the first down.

I don't see Pettis needing to be our #2 OR slot receiver. I think he will do both and see about the same number of targets. Hopefully he holds on to a few more of those he should catch. I suppose the miraculous reach back catch makes up for at least one of those drops.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X predicted:
I don't think Bailey is going to pass Pettis on the depth chart this year. Pettis is just too well rounded at this point and can play all over the field. That's not just lip service by Schottenheimer either. He literally played all over the field last year, and successfully at that.

Even if he did pass him Pettis would still be #5.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
X predicted:
I don't think Bailey is going to pass Pettis on the depth chart this year. Pettis is just too well rounded at this point and can play all over the field. That's not just lip service by Schottenheimer either. He literally played all over the field last year, and successfully at that.

Even if he did pass him Pettis would still be #5.
How so? You don't have Radway or Johnson ahead of Pettis, do you?

Givens, Quick, Austin, (Pettis), Bailey.
Unless you're counting Cook as a receiver.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
X having trouble with algebra and too many Austins:

(1)Givens, (2)Quick, (3)Austin, (5)(Pettis), (4)Bailey.

:dancin:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
albefree69 said:
X having trouble with algebra and too many Austins:

(1)Givens, (2)Quick, (3)Austin, (5)(Pettis), (4)Bailey.

:dancin:
Derp. I read that wrong. Yeah, he would be five if Bailey passed him. :boing:

Though, at this point, I'm not sure Quick is even going to beat out Pettis yet. This is going to be one of the best wide receiver camp competitions in years. Before we were sitting here wondering whether or not Laurent Robinson will make a run at Gibson, or if Mardy Gilyard would play slot.

:sick:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm betting when the rams need a 1st down sam will be looking for pettis. The beauty now is that the rams have so many more options so it won't be an amendola type situation where he fixates on him. But he will find pettis and find him often.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
kurtfaulk said:

I'm betting when the rams need a 1st down sam will be looking for pettis. The beauty now is that the rams have so many more options so it won't be an amendola type situation where he fixates on him. But he will find pettis and find him often.

Yeah, I agree. I'm trying to remember the game in which Mayock said the following when Pettis was on the field and he ran this little hitch & go, but cut it REALLY sharp and the ball was right on him when he got out of his break. He said, "That's what an AMENDOLA can bring to the table." But, it wasn't Amendola. He just automatically assumed that Amendola was the only one who could cut and break like that, and I guess the teen numbers they both sport (18 vs 16) didn't cause him to double check who it was - he just thought it was Danny by the way he moved. As soon as I remember, I'll post it.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
X said:
kurtfaulk said:

Yeah, I agree. I'm trying to remember the game in which Mayock said the following when Pettis was on the field and he ran this little hitch & go, but cut it REALLY sharp and the ball was right on him when he got out of his break. He said, "That's what an AMENDOLA can bring to the table." But, it wasn't Amendola. He just automatically assumed that Amendola was the only one who could cut and break like that, and I guess the teen numbers they both sport (18 vs 16) didn't cause him to double check who it was - he just thought it was Danny by the way he moved. As soon as I remember, I'll post it.

I remember that as well but which game???? Ah, no, nothing. Sorry.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I see Pettis as a similar type of player as Ed McCaffrey although not as fast and not the 1,000yd receiver years.

But a good tall player who will be a role player on this team.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
We're still very thin at WR. Don't most teams take 6 WRs in their final 53? That leaves a spot open for...god knows who.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ramhusker said:
X said:
kurtfaulk said:

I remember that as well but which game???? Ah, no, nothing. Sorry.
I can't remember either, and chances are I'm remembering it entirely wrong. I have this clip from the Miami game where Tim Ryan explains how Pettis can replace Amendola in the slot. That could be what I was thinking of, but I'm not sure that's it. Still. I might as well post it, right?

Don't be surprised if YouTube removes this one immediately though. I had to leave the FOX logo in the video and not edit it out because then I'd be cutting into the commentary. The NFL, I think, has a lock on that logo somehow, because I've never been able to sneak a video in that had it in there.

We'll see...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhQPKOg4j8k[/youtube]

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If mayock said it then it would have to be a thursday night game.

The cardinals game?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Amendola played in that game though, he did get injured halfway through... But I don't think Pettis did much, we had that very long stretch without a completion before Sam hit that 50+ yarder to Givens.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
GreeneCounty said:
Pettis could be cut in preseason.
gAF81je.jpg

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
Ram Quixote using color coded secret messages:
I put the blue font on your post, as it should be.

I've gathered, through personal experience, that blue stands for sarcasm (I don't use it that way). So do any other colors mean something extra?

nighttrain

Legend
VCRam said:
Pettis will probably play the whole year. DA probably won't.
i'll go out on a limb, Pettis & Givens starting WR, at least at the beginning of season.
train