Take my poll!!!: How good will the Defense be?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

This year's defense will...

• Shock the league!!! Top D in the NFL. One of the best defenses in recent memory. Freakishly good!

Votes: 37 35.9%
  • Finish Top 5 -10. Good not great. 3 or more ProBowlers.

Votes: 57 55.3%
  • Play up and down like last year. Middle of the pack. 1-2 ProBowlers.

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Disappoint. Too many mistakes, too much hype. Low ranking. 0-1 ProBowlers.

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

Moostache

Rookie
Top 5 Defense.
The # of Pro-Bowlers will be smaller than it should due to league politics and players voting for "names"...

The Offensive Line play determines how far this team gets. Defense is good, but they are not good enough to win 6-3 games all year...just remember last year after the Raiders and Redskins shut outs that the middle of the pack Giants strolled into the dome and bitch slapped us pretty good. The only major addition to that defense is Nick Fairly and I don't think he is THAT good (hope I am wrong!)...

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
The best defense in resent memory. Our defense sets new league records for scoring and sacks in a single season. 13-3.

Go Rams........ ;)

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
They have the ability to be freakishly good. Best in the NFL. But the back end, while improved, has a few questions to answer before we call them the best in the league.

I would expect them to be solid, maybe even top 5, but nothing like a historically good one. They need a couple guys on the back end to be pro bowlers for that.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Assuming health (knock on wood), this could be the most talented defense the NFL has seen in a long time. The D-line is epic - one of the 2 or 3 best edge rushers in the game in Quinn, arguably the best pass-rushing DT in the game in Donald, a stout man-mountain in Brockers and the Immortal Chris Long. Ogletree may be the most talented guy on the entire squad. JL is the epitome of steady defensive field general. And our secondary is stacked and deep.

If the team can stay relatively healthy, I don't see any reason why this defense can't break records.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Top 5 in YPG & points allowed....It all depends on the offense...yes the offense...If they do their job, control the rock just enough, couple of long drives BOTH halves....Keep the defense pretty well rested...I can see us in the top 3.....

fearsomefour

Legend
G. William's style of D is boom or bust. We'll either completely punish teams allowing sub 50 yards rushing with 6 sacks, or allow 27 points per game. It's all on game planning. If J. Lau is able to confuse offenses like he did against Peyton last year, we'll be the top D in the league. I think, realistically, 5-10 is a good area to shoot for.
Exactly.
Looking at the D performance last year, back to back shut outs, dominating a team like Denver....then some weeks where they didn't show.
With the addition of Ayers (I think a great signing) and a guy like Barron being fully into the D for a year....it gives Williams a lot of pieces to mix and match.
A front seven of Quinn/Donald/Fairly/Long/Ogletree/JL/Ayers when the Rams play a more traditional 4/3 may be the most athletic in the league, certainly loaded with guy who can make plays.
Two guys will determine where this D goes more than any others IMHO, Ogletree and Jenkins. Both guys are Pro Bowl talents....enough talent to be in the top 5 at their positions in the league. IF they can be consistent and put it together this D can be special.

fearsomefour

Legend
Ogletree may be the most talented guy on the entire
Amen.
He was a great pick. I think Ogletree will be a top talent at LB in the league. If he can get to the point in the D where he can just react he can be a guy who takes over games for stretches.
Absolute stud. I hope this is the year Ogletree and Jenkins put it all together.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I have the highest expectations for them. Anything less than top 5 statistically plus teams being terrified of playing them will be a disappointment.

A55VA6

Legend
The key to this defense being top 5 - Consistency and takeaways. Need more of it.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Top 5 Defense.
The # of Pro-Bowlers will be smaller than it should due to league politics and players voting for "names"...

The Offensive Line play determines how far this team gets. Defense is good, but they are not good enough to win 6-3 games all year...just remember last year after the Raiders and Redskins shut outs that the middle of the pack Giants strolled into the dome and bitch slapped us pretty good. The only major addition to that defense is Nick Fairly and I don't think he is THAT good (hope I am wrong!)...

Only Nick Fairley? No love for Akeem Ayers? Or mention that a healthy Chris Long is back? I think Ayers will prove to be a bigger signing than Fairley.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Top 5 Defense.

Don't forget Ayers. Also, another year of experience for Ogeltree and Jenkins. To me, this is the year for those two to step up as they really are two of the most talented players we have on defense. If they continue to improve on their tackling and mental mistakes, we just got a whole lot harder to beat.

But to me, the addition of Ayers and Barron (for the big nickel) as well as another year for Ogletree playing with the same coordinator, and we really should be a bit better on defense. The biggest factor for me though is just cleaning up the tackling.

I agree with everything else you stated, especially regarding the offensive line. Your defense can only be so good.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Two guys will determine where this D goes more than any others IMHO, Ogletree and Jenkins. Both guys are Pro Bowl talents....enough talent to be in the top 5 at their positions in the league. IF they can be consistent and put it together this D can be special.

Absolute stud. I hope this is the year Ogletree and Jenkins put it all together.

The key to this defense being top 5 -
Consistency and takeaways. Need more of it.
A few notes on the Jackrabbit
http://www.101sports.com/2015/08/04/the-rams-secondary-has-much-to-prove-in-2015/

The Rams’ Secondary Has Much to Prove in 2015
Posted by: Anthony Stalter August 4, 2015

With two receivers lined up left, Rams quarterback Nick Foles hit Tavon Austin on a quick screen pass as Kenny Britt went out to block the cornerback.

rodney-mcleod-3.jpg

Rams safety Rodney McLeod

Austin, as he normally does in training camp, flashed his speed and quickness while weaving through defenders and drawing praise from the large crowd gathered at Rams Park as training camp opened.

The problem is, Austin would have been stopped cold behind the line of scrimmage had the players been tackling that day.

It’s early in camp, but it’s become customary for the Rams’ secondary to make plays. On Austin’s reception, safety Rodney McLeod diagnosed the play quickly and flew to the line of scrimmage, putting himself in position to make the tackle. Whether it was the receivers or the formation in general, McLeod read his keys quickly and immediately diagnosed what Frank Cignetti’s new offense was trying to accomplish.

Now in year two under Gregg Williams, McLeod appears to have a greater understanding of route combinations and passing concepts, which is vital for defensive backs at the pro level.

As well as consistently being in position on passing plays, McLeod looks completely in sync with corner Janoris Jenkins, and notched a slick one-handed interception of Foles during camp.

Jenkins is off to a great start as well. The fourth-year veteran has always had the athletic tools to be a legit number one corner, but discipline has been an issue. With a new contract waiting for him at some point over the next year, Jenkins has been in the hip pocket of receivers at camp and he’s avoided the mental mistakes that have plagued him in previous years. He’s been part of a Rams secondary that has made Foles and the rest of the quarterbacks look hesitant and inconsistent early in camp.

Granted, the Rams’ defense should be ahead of the offense at this point.

While the defense is in year two under Williams, the offense is learning a new system. As for Foles specifically, not only is he learning a new playbook, he’s also developing a sense of timing with his receivers and getting a feel for the protection capabilities of his inexperienced offensive line. He’s also working with a new center every three days and is trying to establish a leadership role with a new team. Thus far, he’s excelled at that.

EJ-Gaines.jpg

Rams cornerback E.J. Gaines

If the defense weren’t ahead of the offense at this point, something would be terribly wrong. But, that doesn’t mean expectations for the secondary haven’t changed from where they were a few months ago.

Due to the strength of the front seven, many see the secondary as the defense’s Achilles’ heel.

But thus far, there’s no reason to believe that the defensive backfield is going to be a weakness, especially when the front four does its thing during games.

As of this writing, E.J. Gaines could miss time after suffering an injury Sunday during practice.

But, he’s as fundamentally sound as any defensive back on the roster and should be ready to build on a solid rookie season.

If Gaines’ injury is serious, Trumaine Johnson is capable of starting opposite Jenkins. Jeff Fisher said over the weekend that, from a conditioning standpoint, this is the best Johnson has looked in his four years in St. Louis. Johnson has the size that NFL teams covet, and he’s shown flashes of something special in previous years, such as his interception of Peyton Manning last season.

Like Jenkins, Johnson is playing for a contract. Maybe 2015 will be the year he puts it all together as well.

The Rams’ depth at cornerback is also quietly becoming a strength. Lamarcus Joyner struggled with penalties and mental lapses as a rookie last year before getting hurt, but the game should start slowing down for him in year two. Marcus Roberson also had three interceptions in Sunday’s practice, and you can see his confidence growing after he went undrafted out of Florida in 2014.

Is the Rams’ secondary mistake proof? Of course not.

McLeod and Jenkins need to prove that they can avoid the mental lapses of last year. Gaines and Johnson need to stay healthy. T.J. McDonald is a vicious hitter whose star is on the rise, but he has limitations in coverage. Joyner underwent baptism by fire as a rookie and needs to make significant strides in his development so that he’s not a liability when Williams calls for his nickel defense.

The secondary will prove itself September through December, not in early August against an offense scrambling to get its feet under itself.

But, the early returns are promising and expectations are growing.

I think Ayers will prove to be a bigger signing than Fairley.
Agreed Jack.....He'll play more snaps...and I think his position was more of a weakness than others...He'll bolster the run defense like never before...Well at least since 1999....

RamzFanz

Damnit
Amen.
He was a great pick. I think Ogletree will be a top talent at LB in the league. If he can get to the point in the D where he can just react he can be a guy who takes over games for stretches.

His biggest weakness in containing QBs is he takes bad lines. He needs to settle down, hold the edge, and contain them and not rush in for a sack and get burned to the outside.

D L

Rookie
Name
Dylan
Dropoff between Option 1 and 2 is too extreme. I think we will be like in between those two. Maybe not the best, but pretty damn good.

But we better be able to sack the crap out of teams ALL SEASON. None of this 1 sack for 5 games and then picking it up.