Suspensions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

…..

Legend
Except historically the Patriots have gotten preferential treatment since Goodell has been on the job. That would be Crafts hand picked man.

I will give you the Spygate bullshit era was inappropriately handled. In the case of the Super Bowl, possibly even covered up. To a criminal degree even.

But beyond that, I cant let that time influence my thinking as it pertains to these time. I don't think the Pats get special treatment. I don't think Gronk was treated favorably. I don't think Davis was treated unfavorably either.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I don't think the Patriots get any special treatment.
I don't think white guys get more or less punishment than black guys.

I do think if you put yourself out there to get fined, then the MAIN thing should be the action that caused that, and not the penalty you get. We are focused on the execution and not the crime while making the executioner the villain.

You lost me at "I don't think the Patriots get any special treatment."

The list of empirical evidence suggesting otherwise is a rather LONG list that can be said about no other team not just in the NFL, but EVER in the NFL.

It's simply not true to assert they get no special treatment.

Hell, Spygate alone is enough to vacate that sentiment in its entirety.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
That about sums it up.

Nice siting Ray Rice as an example. Throws a punch that wouldn't cripple off the field....career over. Zeke Elliott gets six games for domestic violence. Ray Rice is out of football. Gronk nearly cripples a guy and gets a game.

Bang up job by Goodell and he gets his contract renewed.

Are you really comparing what Gronk did to domestic abuse?!

Also let’s not forget Mike Evans hit on Latimore. That hit looked worse than Gronks. Evans didn’t get ejected and only got suspended 1 game.

I agree the suspension thing is whacked and inconsistent and I get the Patriot hate and it was a horrible cheap shot, but I can’t compare that to hitting women and the Evans hit should be part of the conversation.

You also mention Gronk could of crippled the player. Well Rice’s punch could of killed her. More people in real life get killed by punches to the face than pro football players get crippled by cheap shots.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think they do to a degree and I'm glad you brought up trends and climate because those things change on a weekly basis these days and are absolutely part of changing punishments. Last weeks 1 game suspension might be this weeks 2 game suspension. And I'm okay with that. Absolutely.

My thinking is that its silly to worry one self over that, or worry why player A got a week off and player B got two weeks. People like to make it about race, or the Patriots, or this over that. The real answer is probably more rooted in changing trends than any fear of Robert Kraft.

Hell.....we all know that Kraft is a wuss anyway. Jerry Jones said so.:sneaky:
Trends dictating policy or implementation of policy is a problem in my opinion and that was my point.
I would take Jerra Jones over Kraft any day of the week.....and that's saying something.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are you really comparing what Gronk did to domestic abuse?!

Also let’s not forget Mike Evans hit on Latimore. That hit looked worse than Gronks. Evans didn’t get ejected and only got suspended 1 game.

I agree the suspension thing is whacked and inconsistent and I get the Patriot hate and it was a horrible cheap shot, but I can’t compare that to hitting women and the Evans hit should be part of the conversation.

You also mention Gronk could of crippled the player. Well Rice’s punch could of killed her. More people in real life get killed by punches to the face than pro football players get crippled by cheap shots.

Yep I am. Hitting a guy in the back of the neck as he is laying prone on the ground is is every bit as dangerous as punching a woman in the face. Rice is out of football. Gronk should be too. Gronk's hit was not a football play.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Yep I am. Hitting a guy in the back of the neck as he is laying prone on the ground is is every bit as dangerous as punching a woman in the face. Rice is out of football. Gronk should be too. Gronk's hit was not a football play.

Wow! It’s not the same. Gronks victim is a professional athlete with years of training. Rice’s fiancé was 5’4” and defenseless. Should Mike Evans be suspended too?! He could of crippled a player, let’s be consistent now.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Wow! It’s not the same. Gronks victim is a professional athlete with years of training. Rice’s fiancé was 5’4” and defenseless. Should Mike Evans be suspended too?! He could of crippled a player, let’s be consistent now.

An injury is an injury. Just because Its a guy doesn’t matter. Anybody’s neck can break and become a paraplegic. Why is it different? It wasn’t a football play. The play was over.

If Rice’s woman was okay and
Tre Davious White could no longer walk you still think Rice hitting his wife is worse? It’s the same thing. Men can be in a position where they are defenseless. Evans should be suspended too but his hit wasn’t as bad as Gronk’s. Evans shoved Lattimore from behind. Gronk put a forearm into Ehites neck while he is on the ground. If he is standing his body can move with the blow.

Lay a small log on its side and hit it with an axe. It’s moves but doesn’t split because it moves with the impact. Maybe the axe sticks in a little. Stand it up and hit down and it splits, because the ground stops it.

I have never hit a woman. I have never dove into some guy’s neck either. I think both actions could have dire consequences. Ray Rice is out of football, Gronk gets one lousy game. I don’t see understand your logic. Gronk should have gotten more. Like I said before, does it take White being crippled for the league to take notice? Is that what it takes for you to take notice? Go talk to a neurosurgeon and ask how bad that hit was if you don’t get it.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
An injury is an injury. Just because Its a guy doesn’t matter. Anybody’s neck can break and become a paraplegic. Why is it different? It wasn’t a football play. The play was over.

If Rice’s woman was okay and
Tre Davious White could no longer walk you still think Rice hitting his wife is worse? It’s the same thing. Men can be in a position where they are defenseless. Evans should be suspended too but his hit wasn’t as bad as Gronk’s. Evans shoved Lattimore from behind. Gronk put a forearm into Ehites neck while he is on the ground. If he is standing his body can move with the blow.

Lay a small log on its side and hit it with an axe. It’s moves but doesn’t split because it moves with the impact. Maybe the axe sticks in a little. Stand it up and hit down and it splits, because the ground stops it.

I have never hit a woman. I have never dove into some guy’s neck either. I think both actions could have dire consequences. Ray Rice is out of football, Gronk gets one lousy game. I don’t see understand your logic. Gronk should have gotten more. Like I said before, does it take White being crippled for the league to take notice? Is that what it takes for you to take notice?

Go talk to a neurosurgeon and ask how bad that hit was if you don’t get it.

To say Evans shoved Lattimore and to say cold cocking a defenseless women is not as bad as what happened to White is all I really need to know your perspective.

You realize the reason Rice is out of football is because he wasn’t any good anymore. If he could of played he would of been like Zeke and Hardy and had a job. But let’s keep rooting for the women beaters....the real men

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I guess it shouldn't, but it honestly disgusts me to see Gronkowski make such an impact on his first game back from a pathetic one game suspension.

I'll always cantstandya deflate-gate spy-gate TB 12, and I was really hoping for a big L to the Steelers. That said everything was overshadowed by the 42-7 SmackDown Sunday.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Jerry Jones is right, not wanting Goodell any longer

But he only didn't want him once he suspended Elliot. Jones was for the new contract prior to that at the first vote.

JJ is a hypocrite and a POS.

If Elliot taught was anything Gronk could have endlessly appealed and served his suspension next year.

They had MIA coming up so it was a good game to sit him so they thought. It was strategic.

Except historically the Patriots have gotten preferential treatment since Goodell has been on the job. That would be Crafts hand picked man.

Kraft and Goodell loathe each other, they had a HUGE falling out over Spygate and have not been friendly since. They were friends but that ended years ago.

…..

Legend
To say Evans shoved Lattimore and to say cold cocking a defenseless women is not as bad as what happened to White is all I really need to know your perspective.

You realize the reason Rice is out of football is because he wasn’t any good anymore. If he could of played he would of been like Zeke and Hardy and had a job. But let’s keep rooting for the women beaters....the real men

I'm not positive but rhought Rice was in his prime and he went through a down year statistically but was still a strong young buck? He isn't playing because no one wants to deal with the negative publicity. Just like Kap is not playing. Just like Schiano isn't coaching Tennessee.

Same reason that some of the questioned punishments occur. The tides of public opinion are pretty influencing.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Who said it is worse? I said it was just as bad.

All I need to know is that you think it is fine to injure a defenseless man.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I'm not positive but rhought Rice was in his prime and he went through a down year statistically but was still a strong young buck? He isn't playing because no one wants to deal with the negative publicity. Just like Kap is not playing. Just like Schiano isn't coaching Tennessee.

Same reason that some of the questioned punishments occur. The tides of public opinion are pretty influencing.

Rice had just run for 660 yards and a career low 3.1 APG in 2013. I think that coupled with the video is the reason he was never signed. Now if he was in year 2 or 3 of his career he would of been signed. Had there been no video, I bet someone would of signed him to a prove it deal even after his 2013 season.

I agree public opinions can have an impact but I feel like most owners have no moral ground anyway lol. If they think a player can help them win they will sign them. Greg Hardy found work....Kap could of been a Seahawk but reports said he would only sign for starter money, so its not like nobody didnt bring him in. But I do understand your over point and agree.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
But he only didn't want him once he suspended Elliot. Jones was for the new contract prior to that at the first vote.

JJ is a hypocrite and a POS.

They had MIA coming up so it was a good game to sit him so they thought. It was strategic.

Kraft and Goodell loathe each other, they had a HUGE falling out over Spygate and have not been friendly since. They were friends but that ended years ago.

I have read that stuff about Kraft and Goodell. I don’t buy it. The best way to stop the Patriots special treatment talk is to portray an image of hating each other. Then the favoritism can’t be blamed on the friendship.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Who said it is worse? I said it was just as bad.

All I need to know is that you think it is fine to injure a defenseless man.

I already said it was a cheap shot so you already know my answer. I like you Elm, always have. I got a little sensitive when you compared the Rice thing with Gronks, so I will stop here. We can agree to disagree and remain friends :)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
you guys....

Man....Ray Rice in here too? I've seen domestic violence...Ray was one of the worst things I've ever seen. Davis, Gronk, really no one on the field has done anything as striking as that. Close, but not nearly as bad of a visual.

Thomas Davis was playing football....he could have really injured #17....I think he pulled up a little late...I actually think that hit helped win the game...#17 didn't play anymore..Rodgers was throwing to unknowns late in that game...the guy that fumbled....usually isn't a factor...but, I don't think he hit #17 as hard as he could have....and it was a split second thought to blast him, then, he was like, "I shouldn't do this"...looked like a fine to me...nothing like the Mike Evans hit...the Gronk hit...or even the JuJu hit....Davis tried to pull off...intent.
Gronk gets only a fine for a late hit on a defenseless defensive back.
suspended....1 game....and due to intent, should have been more.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
.I brought Rice into it
All good....Now, Rice belongs in a, "Who's been blackballed from the NFL" thread....

Rice...model citizen ( or so many thought), never allowed to compete for a job again....striking a women is bad..we get that...but never forgiven??? Many things are worse than striking....anyone....

Strange rules govern the league. I guess PR is huge....Why Gronk gets 1 game...Davis gets 2....I think it will be reduced to 1....maybe.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I have read that stuff about Kraft and Goodell. I don’t buy it. The best way to stop the Patriots special treatment talk is to portray an image of hating each other. Then the favoritism can’t be blamed on the friendship.

It's not a myth....and Goodell was put in an essentially impossible spot be Kraft's beloved HC and he didn't take kindly to it. The feelings were intensified by the Deflategate issue. These two guys will never be friends again I'm sure of that.

The business end is fine I'm sure..........but there is no doubt they aren't buddies.

Rice...model citizen ( or so many thought), never allowed to compete for a job again....striking a women is bad..we get that...but never forgiven??? Many things are worse than striking....anyone....

That was the breaking point for domestic violence...........it isn't getting brushed under the rug anymore.