Suspensions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Thomas Davis gets a two game suspension for hitting a defenseless receiver.

Gronk gets only a fine for a late hit on a defenseless defensive back.

A Seahawk special teamed gets instantly ejected against the Rams for starting a fight.

Gronk is allowed to stay in the game despite the epitome of unsportsmanlike. conduct.

Also, Rams Hawks announcer says Ed Hochuli usually means good thing for Seattle. WTF?

RAMS1083

UDFA
Name
L.T

A Seahawk special teamed gets instantly ejected against the Rams for starting a fight.

Gronk is allowed to stay in the game despite the epitome of unsportsmanlike. conduct.

Also, Rams Hawks announcer says Ed Hochuli usually means good thing for Seattle. WTF?

Thats the same thing I said yesterday and I know the ref Ed Hochuli was pissed because he couldn't cheat for the Seahawks cause they were getting their azz whooped

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

I'm sorry, but if anyone thinks that enforcement of anything in the NFL is uniform... it's not.

It's like....rich dood gets arrested and he barely spends time in the precinct or station before seeing a judge and being put on "house arrest". Poor dood gets arrested and he spends 3 months on Rikers before even seeing his Public Defender.

Same here. Gronk got one game and I was surprised he got that.

I mean, you saw Brady go spikes up like Ty Cobb on a slide and??? yeah...nothing.

All this stuff about the Brady suspension some time back was that there was just too much evidence of favoritism.

Debacled

Starter
Gronk should have gotten more.

The league said its due to Davis having a history (he was fined big for a similar hit earlier in the year). You'll see the suspensions getting longer as well if they keep happening. Especially considering Adams was the guy that was nearly decapitated by Trevathan earlier in the season.

You are going to see a targeting penalty in the NFL similar to college sooner rather than later with clear headshots like that and the continuing concussion hot topic that the NFL has to deal with.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm sorry, but if anyone thinks that enforcement of anything in the NFL is uniform... it's not.

It's like....rich dood gets arrested and he barely spends time in the precinct or station before seeing a judge and being put on "house arrest". Poor dood gets arrested and he spends 3 months on Rikers before even seeing his Public Defender.

Same here. Gronk got one game and I was surprised he got that.

I mean, you saw Brady go spikes up like Ty Cobb on a slide and??? yeah...nothing.

All this stuff about the Brady suspension some time back was that there was just too much evidence of favoritism.

Did Gronk get a game? It was as bad or worse than Thomas Davis making an illegal hit while the ball is in play. And how was he not ejected.

Jerry Jones is right, not wanting Goodell any longer

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Did Gronk get a game? It was as bad or worse than Thomas Davis making an illegal hit while the ball is in play. And how was he not ejected.

Jerry Jones is right, not wanting Goodell any longer

Gronk was out in the Miami game and Miami took advantage and beat them in Miami.

Then Pittsburgh responded by putting someone's little cousin on him, letting Gronk have an All World game and making people forget what a piece of crap he was.

/shrug

…..

Legend
I never have bought into these types of narratives.

Someone said in another thread that some recent fines/suspensions were based on race. The person who said that is someone I've learned to respect over the past few years. I also respect this tiny web community of ours and it owners and leaders. Because of that respect, I decided to shut up instead blasting that persons opinions.

The blame game is something I like to avoid. As an example: 3 years ago Atlanta was hit with an ice storm that locked down the city, but what was worse, the freeways and main arteries were like a parking lot for 2 days. People got stuck in their vehicles, or simply left them on the freeway and walked home. My own colleagues left work at 10am and never made it home until the next day. Even my boss was stuck 14 hours and he only had to drive 4 miles. EVERYONE blamed the mayor of Atlanta. The main thing they all said was wrong was that we did not have enough salt trucks and snow plows. They said the mayor was not ready for this type of emergency and needed to assume the blame an resign.

But my thoughts were....Really? We get snow once every three years and somehow its the mayors fault? We have southern temperatures, why would we waste money on snow plows? Why dont they have swimming pools in Buffalo I asked? the answer is....BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO SPEND THEIR MONEY ON SNOW PLOWS. But in Atlanta, we dont. We buy stuff like fans, air conditioners, ice machines...why? because its usually hot.

The NFL is not the weather, I get that. But there are parallels. Questioning the fines and punishments and blaming the commissioner....or race....is somewhat the same to me as the story above. You cannot anticipate Gronk doing what he did, or Davis doing what he did. You cant anticipate a member of your employ getting caught on tape fist fucking his girlfriends face coming off an elevator, or expect that your star WR might arrange to have his pregnant ex girl fiend murdered. All you can do is try to react accordingly when the completely unexpected happens, you try and get some kind of control even if it means making someone the example. Try to make the seas calm again. But really, in this day and age where everyones unsolicited opinions gets published, you simply end up watching while everyone blames you for not getting some certain aspect of your decision, or the punishment be administered just right and to everyones satisfaction. Pretty soon,you look at the papers and its you on trial and not the offender.

Its pretty fuckin ridiculous if you ask me. We may as well blame Goodell, Gronk and the Patriots for not having enough snow plows in Atlanta.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Someone said in another thread that some recent fines/suspensions were based on race. The person who said that is someone I've learned to respect over the past few years. I also respect this tiny web community of ours and it owners and leaders. Because of that respect, I decided to shut up instead blasting that persons opinions.

The blame game is something I like to avoid. As an example: 3 years ago Atlanta was hit with an ice storm that locked down the city, but what was worse, the freeways and main arteries were like a parking lot for 2 days. People got stuck in their vehicles, or simply left them on the freeway and walked home. My own colleagues left work at 10am and never made it home until the next day. Even my boss was stuck 14 hours and he only had to drive 4 miles. EVERYONE blamed the mayor of Atlanta. The main thing they all said was wrong was that we did not have enough salt trucks and snow plows. They said the mayor was not ready for this type of emergency and needed to assume the blame an resign.

But my thoughts were....Really? We get snow once every three years and somehow its the mayors fault? We have southern temperatures, why would we waste money on snow plows? Why dont they have swimming pools in Buffalo I asked? the answer is....BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO SPEND THEIR MONEY ON SNOW PLOWS. But in Atlanta, we dont. We buy stuff like fans, air conditioners, ice machines...why? because its usually hot.

The NFL is not the weather, I get that. But there are parallels. Questioning the fines and punishments and blaming the commissioner....or race....is somewhat the same to me as the story above. You cannot anticipate Gronk doing what he did, or Davis doing what he did. You cant anticipate a member of your employ getting caught on tape fist freaking his girlfriends face coming off an elevator, or expect that your star WR might arrange to have his pregnant ex girl fiend murdered. All you can do is try to react accordingly when the completely unexpected happens, you try and get some kind of control even if it means making someone the example. Try to make the seas calm again. But really, in this day and age where everyones unsolicited opinions gets published, you simply end up watching while everyone blames you for not getting some certain aspect of your decision, or the punishment be administered just right and to everyones satisfaction. Pretty soon,you look at the papers and its you on trial and not the offender.

Its pretty freakin ridiculous if you ask me. We may as well blame Goodell, Gronk and the Patriots for not having enough snow plows in Atlanta.

We are talking about suspensions being levied by he commissioner. This is not random snow. He makes 43 million a year to know what he is doing. The mayor in Atlanta makes $50,000.00.

Gronk gets a game and no ejection despite the fact that his hit was made with malicious intent well after the whistle and out of bounds. He could have crippled that player, hitting him in the back of the neck with his shoulder. That was the worst unsportsmanlike play I can remember. A guy on his stomach, out of bounds, who happened to make an interception and Gronkowski dives into the guys neck after the play was dead? With all of the rules based on protecting defenseless players, how does this not deserve to be questioned? How does Goodell, who is the overseer of the league not deserve to be questioned?

This is not some random event that happens once every three years. Goodell oversees punishment for all kinds of transgressions on and off the field. It's his job. I am not blaming him for the snow in Buffalo two weeks ago.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Well I certainly respect the thought you put into that.

What is frustrating to me and some aren't the times when the league has been caught unprepared due to somewhat unforeseen circumstances.

What is frustrating is that there are factors that affect each team and those factors are not evenly felt.

Gronk puts a guy...purposefully...in the concussion protocol with a forearm shiver that could have broken his neck and he gets one game.

Thomas Davis hits a defenseless guy and HE gets two games. Was Davis' hit unnecessary? Yeah. You can affect a block simply by impeding progress. To lay someone out like that is really risking injury.

But the difference is that Davis was still engaging in a football move.

What Gronk did was no different than throwing a punch. He should have been ejected on the spot AND given at least a two-game suspension due to the nature of the offense, i.e. hitting a downed player in the back of the head.

And see, I don't care if he was a super nice guy and does all this charity work.

If he commits a heinous infraction, he deserves to pay the penalty just like everyone else. But that's not how the NFL operates.

Ray Rice, who actually took LOTS of time to give to charities and raise money for charities that focused on preventing domestic violence and advocating for the victims of domestic violence punched his wife while drunk in an elevator and as soon as that evidence came forth, he was finished. He paid his price even though he was a beacon in the community prior.

So the TL;dr of this is that it isn't the unforeseen that's the problem. It's the uneven application of remedies for the unfortunate, but foreseen.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
We are talking about suspensions being levied by he commissioner. This is not random snow. He makes 43 million a year to know what he is doing. The mayor in Atlanta makes $50,000.00.

Gronk gets a game and no ejection despite the fact that his hit was made with malicious intent well after the whistle and out of bounds. He could have crippled that player, hitting him in the back of the neck with his shoulder. That was the worst unsportsmanlike play I can remember. A guy on his stomach, out of bounds, who happened to make an interception and Gronkowski dives into the guys neck after the play was dead? With all of the rules based on protecting defenseless players, how does this not deserve to be questioned? How does Goodell, who is the overseer of the league not deserve to be questioned?

This is not some random event that happens once every three years. Goodell oversees punishment for all kinds of transgressions on and off the field. It's his job. I am not blaming him for the snow in Buffalo two weeks ago.

I bet he didn't want to go round and round with Craft again by suspending a core player of the Pats for extended time during a playoff run.

Heck, if Brady wants to shoot a hooker, these next two weeks are the time to do it...

…..

Legend
Actually...the crap that goes on IS as random( and unexpected, you just cant prepare for some of this stuff) as snow. That was kinda the point.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I bet he didn't want to go round and round with Craft again by suspending a core player of the Pats for extended time during a playoff run.

Heck, if Brady wants to shoot a hooker, these next two weeks are the time to do it...

That about sums it up.

Nice siting Ray Rice as an example. Throws a punch that wouldn't cripple off the field....career over. Zeke Elliott gets six games for domestic violence. Ray Rice is out of football. Gronk nearly cripples a guy and gets a game.

Bang up job by Goodell and he gets his contract renewed.

fearsomefour

Legend

If Elliot taught was anything Gronk could have endlessly appealed and served his suspension next year.
Maybe on the field suspensions are different? Don't know.

fearsomefour

Legend

The NFL is not the weather, I get that. But there are parallels. Questioning the fines and punishments and blaming the commissioner....or race....is somewhat the same to me as the story above. You cannot anticipate Gronk doing what he did, or Davis doing what he did. You cant anticipate a member of your employ getting caught on tape fist freaking his girlfriends face coming off an elevator, or expect that your star WR might arrange to have his pregnant ex girl fiend murdered. All you can do is try to react accordingly when the completely unexpected happens, you try and get some kind of control even if it means making someone the example. Try to make the seas calm again. But really, in this day and age where everyones unsolicited opinions gets published, you simply end up watching while everyone blames you for not getting some certain aspect of your decision, or the punishment be administered just right and to everyones satisfaction. Pretty soon,you look at the papers and its you on trial and not the offender.

Its pretty freakin ridiculous if you ask me. We may as well blame Goodell, Gronk and the Patriots for not having enough snow plows in Atlanta.
Not based on race....but, if you think societal trends/opinions/climate don't factor into these decisions you are mistaken.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Actually...the crap that goes on IS as random( and unexpected, you just cant prepare for some of this stuff) as snow. That was kinda the point.

I got the point. I just don't think it applies. This isn't a budget matter. Not buying salt and snow plows in Atlanta makes perfect sense.

What is random about it? That the Patriots get treated differently is the only randomness here. Guys get fined and penalized all year. There is an enormous emphasis on player safety, supposedly. How does that not qualify as malicious intent to injure? He could have broken his neck. I wonder how many games Gronk would have gotten if he did break his neck. Two?

…..

Legend
Not based on race....but, if you think societal trends/opinions/climate don't factor into these decisions you are mistaken.
I think they do to a degree and I'm glad you brought up trends and climate because those things change on a weekly basis these days and are absolutely part of changing punishments. Last weeks 1 game suspension might be this weeks 2 game suspension. And I'm okay with that. Absolutely.

My thinking is that its silly to worry one self over that, or worry why player A got a week off and player B got two weeks. People like to make it about race, or the Patriots, or this over that. The real answer is probably more rooted in changing trends than any fear of Robert Kraft.

Hell.....we all know that Kraft is a pussy anyway. Jerry Jones said so.:sneaky:

…..

Legend
I got the point. I just don't think it applies. This isn't a budget matter. Not buying salt and snow plows in Atlanta makes perfect sense.

What is random about it? That the Patriots get treated differently is the only randomness here. Guys get fined and penalized all year. There is an enormous emphasis on player safety, supposedly. How does that not qualify as malicious intent to injure? He could have broken his neck. I wonder how many games Gronk would have gotten if he did break his neck. Two?

I don't think the Patriots get any special treatment.
I don't think white guys get more or less punishment than black guys.

I do think if you put yourself out there to get fined, then the MAIN thing should be the action that caused that, and not the penalty you get. We are focused on the execution and not the crime while making the executioner the villain.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think they do to a degree and I'm glad you brought up trends and climate because those things change on a weekly basis these days and are absolutely part of changing punishments. Last weeks 1 game suspension might be this weeks 2 game suspension. And I'm okay with that. Absolutely.

My thinking is that its silly to worry one self over that, or worry why player A got a week off and player B got two weeks. People like to make it about race, or the Patriots, or this over that. The real answer is probably more rooted in changing trends than any fear of Robert Kraft.

Hell.....we all know that Kraft is a wuss anyway. Jerry Jones said so.:sneaky:

Except historically the Patriots have gotten preferential treatment since Goodell has been on the job. That would be Crafts hand picked man.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
With the NFL it's all about the social/media black eye. Anything that embarrasses the league is going to get a heavier reaction.

I think the owners need to agree on a formula for the suspensions and then sit down with the players and at least try to get on the same page with them. Guys who beat women need to go IMO, and so on and so forth, but whatever the metric is what's important is that they agree on it and add to it periodically as they go.