Suh

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I'll preface this by saying I don't like Ndamukong Suh, and I know the Rams won't sign him.

But could you imagine the total devastation he and Donald would cause on this line?
It would be the greatest Dline in the history of the NFL.
No joke.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Rotational DT.
Ugh. Not a fan of that plan.

MAYBE if we didn't have Donald and didn't have to put someone good into a non-starting rotational role. But we definitely have positions in more dire need of upgrade and only so much cap money.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ugh. Not a fan of that plan.

MAYBE if we didn't have Donald and didn't have to put someone good into a non-starting rotational role. But we definitely have positions in more dire need of upgrade and only so much cap money.
I know, it's not a plan. It would/could never happen, but Suh/Donald with Brockers filling in so one of those guys could get a rest?

Puhlease.

jjab360

Legend
I'll preface this by saying I don't like Ndamukong Suh, and I know the Rams won't sign him.

But could you imagine the total devastation he and Donald would cause on this line?
Suh might just be my least favorite player in the league, but I'd sport a wood that couldn't be chopped for days if we could get him, AD, and Quinn on the same team.

We probably won't sign him, but he is a Fisher type player and we should have a decent amount of cap space heading into this offseason with some of the cuts we'll be making.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I can say that I was in the Suh camp. But I will also say that I wanted Clausen with the next pick. I thought that would be a good draft. So... you might see why I don't get that much into prognostications on the draft. My picks are a huge crap shoot and they always will be. And STILL I seem to do as well as most of the talking heads. I would put many of the guys on here at the same if not a higher level than many of the guys getting paid. That's probably why I won't weigh in too much on the draft 'who' talk but still love reading about it here.

That being said - Suh is a dumbass and could put his energies into being the best DT in the league rather than playing this WWE bullshit game. He thinks he should automatically rule the game instead of playing to a level that commands that kind of respect. The kid is playing the fool and is hurting himself in the process.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
One sack? Ok. Did they win? Nope. Fuck suh...fuck the Lions. ..fuck the entire.city of Detroit. Fuck suh.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
One sack? Ok. Did they win? Nope. freak suh...freak the Lions. ..freak the entire.city of Detroit. freak suh.
I laughed my ass off seeing Lett on the sideline after Lawrence fumbled that ball.
That dumbass almost gave the game away.
.....then he came back and redeemed himself on the last play.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
If the Rams pulled that off, I would be feeding the geese the entire off-season!

Boffo97

Name
Dave
I know, it's not a plan. It would/could never happen, but Suh/Donald with Brockers filling in so one of those guys could get a rest?

Puhlease.
I still think people would end up disappointed when having both Donald and Suh in at the same time doesn't end up with both getting the stats they would individually since someone's got to be the guy who ties up blockers and doesn't get the stats that Brockers is now.

But honestly, you could drool the same way about any unit that's already set adding in someone else rotationally. What if we had both Faulk and Dickerson on the same team? I'd be all over some kind of setup where the two rotate between HB, FB, TE or WR (particularly in Marshall's case) depending on the play.

WestCoastRam

Legend
We've switched to 3-tech, nose-tackle DT lineup from left and right DT. Donald is playing exclusively 3-tech and dominating there. Suh plays 3-tech. Do you want him to play nose?

upload_2015-1-4_23-37-39.png

jjab360

Legend
We've switched to 3-tech, nose-tackle DT lineup from left and right DT. Donald is playing exclusively 3-tech and dominating there. Suh plays 3-tech. Do you want him to play nose?

View attachment 4900
We'd either have Suh play NT or just switch back to left and right DT. When you have a chance at having two players that dominant on the same team you find a way to make it work.

WestCoastRam

Legend
We'd either have Suh play NT or just switch back to left and right DT. When you have a chance at having two players that dominant on the same team you find a way to make it work.

I love the enthusiasm but having Suh play nose tackle would be wasting a lot of his talent. If he's willing to do it, great, but it's a waste (Haynesworth very publicly helped sink - sink further - a franchise by refusing to play nose). If we go back to left and right tackle, it could work somewhat, but again, you won't be putting either in the best position to use their talents as often as you could. I just don't see how the benefits out-weight any cost in bringing him on.

jjab360

Legend
I love the enthusiasm but having Suh play nose tackle would be wasting a lot of his talent. If he's willing to do it, great, but it's a waste (Haynesworth very publicly helped sink - sink further - a franchise by refusing to play nose). If we go back to left and right tackle, it could work somewhat, but again, you won't be putting either in the best position to use their talents as often as you could. I just don't see how the benefits out-weight any cost in bringing him on.
I've seen a play where we had Ogletree and Mark Barron playing DE and Quinn and Long standing up blitzing from the inside. Call me crazy, but I think Williams might just be creative enough to make it work.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
TBH, I initially didn't like anything about our situation in that draft. Wasn't really a Bradford "fan", and didn't buy into all the slop that Suh was a "once in a generation" type player. I found myself rooting in silence for the Rams to take the Browns' offer of their entire draft for the rights to the #1 pick and the monumental salary that went with it, but that never happened. Woulda been happy with JPP and someone like Jason Campbell or Matt Moore while we built up the rest of the team. But once the realization set in that we were gonna take Bradford, I got behind the decision 100% and never looked back. Shame that whole 2011 CBA thing happened. I think Bradford would have benefited from a full offseason of McDaniels' offense, but more importantly ... the receivers would have.

I was in the same camp regarding that draft. I would have been OK with either guy, but I knew they were taking Bradford because of how Bulger had declined and become a shell of himself. I watched Bradford's college highlights and was in "meh" mode. But I didn't want to see a tackle come aboard with that salary and I also didn't buy into the once in a generation hype.

It was a difficult spot for the Rams and I wish it had played out differently. Suh and McCoy might have been a better way to go and I loathe Suh and how he conducts himself.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My reason for preferring Suh at the time: A DT doesn't necessarily require quality around him to succeed. I worried we didn't have the supporting cast to help a #1 overall QB succeed. (And that still very well may be the story of Sam's career unfortunately).

So yeah, all things being equal, you'd take the QB. If you were looking for likelihood to produce though, you'd go with Suh.
This was precisely my argument for wanting Suh.

The Rams offense was old and deteriorating back then.

Sadly, I was right. Shurmur devised ultra-safe plays that got the ball out quickly and minimized potential for mistakes on Bradford's part. Heck, it got Bradford OROY.

I remember fans being so upset with the "dink-and-dunk" plays, but - given the talent surrounding Bradford - it was probably the only route they could go. That seemed to be proven when McDaniels came on board and put in long developing plays that exposed a very bad Oline and poor/young receivers. Bradford got hurt and had a pretty bad year.

To this day, some fans blame Surmur for "ruining" Bradford with the dink-and-dunk. Not sure whether to laugh or cry when I see Schottenheimer doing similar things.

I liked the idea of drafting a "franchise QB", but worried that he wouldn't be able to realize his full potential with what we had on the offensive side of the ball.

5 years later and we're still citing missing pieces on offense as potential reasons why Bradford hasn't live up to his potential.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
This was precisely my argument for wanting Suh.

The Rams offense was old and deteriorating back then.

Sadly, I was right. Shurmur devised ultra-safe plays that got the ball out quickly and minimized potential for mistakes on Bradford's part. Heck, it got Bradford OROY.

I remember fans being so upset with the "dink-and-dunk" plays, but - given the talent surrounding Bradford - it was probably the only route they could go. That seemed to be proven when McDaniels came on board and put in long developing plays that exposed a very bad Oline and poor/young receivers. Bradford got hurt and had a pretty bad year.

To this day, some fans blame Surmur for "ruining" Bradford with the dink-and-dunk. Not sure whether to laugh or cry when I see Schottenheimer doing similar things.

I liked the idea of drafting a "franchise QB", but worried that he wouldn't be able to realize his full potential with what we had on the offensive side of the ball.

5 years later and we're still citing missing pieces on offense as potential reasons why Bradford hasn't live up to his potential.
I still wonder how much worse it would have been if Saffold hadn't fallen to the Rams, and we had Barron "protecting" Sam in his rookie year...

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams had to go with Bradford over Suh, For reasons beyond football X's and O's. Excitement.
A franchise QB can reinvigorate a fan base. Taking a DT can't do that.
I think it'd be naive to think this wasn't a large consideration in the pick.