Suh

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Suh is a dominating force. He may be nasty, maybe a better word is dirty - but he is a force in the NFL.

I think back to that draft - the Suh v Bradford wars - and let's be honest, that was a pretty ugly year for Rams draft enthusiasts. There was camp Suh, camp Bradford, and a much smaller camp McCoy. Funny enough, McCoy is every bit as dominating as Suh - and seemingly a much better human being. They are both unquestionably elite defensive tackles. They are all pro talents - both of them.

I remember the argument against Bradford was that he may be injury prone - that no team had ever taken a player who was coming off of a season ending injury #1 overall.

But we needed a QB. And Sam has the talent to still have been the right pick all along - because I would rather have Sam realizing his potential than either Suh or McCoy. And it's not like Sam is even dealing with the same injury as the shoulder which was his season ending injury in college. It's just bad luck. Really really bad luck. Rams.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Suh is a dominating force. He may be nasty, maybe a better word is dirty - but he is a force in the NFL.

I think back to that draft - the Suh v Bradford wars - and let's be honest, that was a pretty ugly year for Rams draft enthusiasts. There was camp Suh, camp Bradford, and a much smaller camp McCoy. Funny enough, McCoy is every bit as dominating as Suh - and seemingly a much better human being. They are both unquestionably elite defensive tackles. They are all pro talents - both of them.

I remember the argument against Bradford was that he may be injury prone - that no team had ever taken a player who was coming off of a season ending injury #1 overall.

But we needed a QB. And Sam has the talent to still have been the right pick all along - because I would rather have Sam realizing his potential than either Suh or McCoy. And it's not like Sam is even dealing with the same injury as the shoulder which was his season ending injury in college. It's just bad luck. Really really bad luck. Rams.
I'd say combination of bad luck, plus the early coaching inconsistency (the OC roulette and not even having a QB coach in 2011), plus bad OLs (particularly 2011 again with all the injuries).

FRO

Legend
I leaned Bradford, because I felt he was every bit as talented as Suh, but I was pro Suh as well. Many people dug in so deep instead of building a case for their guy they were intent on demeaning the other.

As we sit right now Suh would have been the better choice. It kills me that first we gave Bradford nothing to work with, and the second we have an average NFL support cast he can't stay healthy. I think the guy can be a top QB in this league.

Athos

Legend
I never wanted anything to do with Suh, because as talented as he is, I just don't like the play he plays....when the play is dead.

Dude will always be dirty imo.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Only in retrospect would this be a debate.

The CBA at the time, and our need for a QB, made the pick a slam dunk.

Suh's contract is 22.4MM this season. <-- that was given to an unproven DT. Yes... DT.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
He is definitely a dominant DT. I like AD better though honestly. No homer.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Only in retrospect would this be a debate.

The CBA at the time, and our need for a QB, made the pick a slam dunk.

Suh's contract is 22.4MM this season. <-- that was given to an unproven DT. Yes... DT.
My reason for preferring Suh at the time: A DT doesn't necessarily require quality around him to succeed. I worried we didn't have the supporting cast to help a #1 overall QB succeed. (And that still very well may be the story of Sam's career unfortunately).

So yeah, all things being equal, you'd take the QB. If you were looking for likelihood to produce though, you'd go with Suh.

Last edited:

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
AD is already playing on par with how Suh is playing now as a rookie in many aspects and he's got nowhere to go but up. I like AD better. Helps that he's also not a shitstain

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I leaned Bradford, because I felt he was every bit as talented as Suh, but I was pro Suh as well. Many people dug in so deep instead of building a case for their guy they were intent on demeaning the other.

As we sit right now Suh would have been the better choice. It kills me that first we gave Bradford nothing to work with, and the second we have an average NFL support cast he can't stay healthy. I think the guy can be a top QB in this league.
TBH, I initially didn't like anything about our situation in that draft. Wasn't really a Bradford "fan", and didn't buy into all the slop that Suh was a "once in a generation" type player. I found myself rooting in silence for the Rams to take the Browns' offer of their entire draft for the rights to the #1 pick and the monumental salary that went with it, but that never happened. Woulda been happy with JPP and someone like Jason Campbell or Matt Moore while we built up the rest of the team. But once the realization set in that we were gonna take Bradford, I got behind the decision 100% and never looked back. Shame that whole 2011 CBA thing happened. I think Bradford would have benefited from a full offseason of McDaniels' offense, but more importantly ... the receivers would have.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Suh unable to elevate the Lions to win this game.

Orchid

Starter
Name
Obert
Suh is the best.

Watch the game. One of the worst worst calls every. PI today,tomorrow and in the future. Why no call. Because it is the Cowboys. Games are fixed. Cowboys los t and were losing until the Refs stepped in. You bet they will cheat you.
Only sean more blantly holding agaisnt the Rams Bengals and the Lions.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
That call should have gone against both players.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Rams had to go with Bradford over Suh, For reasons beyond football X's and O's. Excitement.
A franchise QB can reinvigorate a fan base. Taking a DT can't do that.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams had to go with Bradford over Suh, For reasons beyond football X's and O's. Excitement.
A franchise QB can reinvigorate a fan base. Taking a DT can't do that.

I really hope that wasn't the reason. Winning reinvigorates a fan base - everything else is just smoke and mirrors.

Athos

Legend
Sure, some of the emotion likely came from a close loss in his second career playoff game. But Suh’s tears, which ultimately culminated in Suh leaving the podium mid-question, primarily flowed from the reality that he’ll likely never wear a Lions uniform again.

I call BS on that. If he really wants to remain a Lion, he remains a Lion by making it work. He's already made quite a shit ton of money, just like Bradford.

Boffo97

Name
Dave
Even if he wasn't a total douchenozzle, Suh's future won't be here.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'll preface this by saying I don't like Ndamukong Suh, and I know the Rams won't sign him.

But could you imagine the total devastation he and Donald would cause on this line?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I'll preface this by saying I don't like Ndamukong Suh, and I know the Rams won't sign him.

But could you imagine the total devastation he and Donald would cause on this line?

Stop, I can only get so hard.

Boffo97

Name
Dave

What would you do with Brockers though?