Stuff going on at Penn State

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
interference said:
JdashSTL said:
Was just watching CBS news and they said Mike McQueary(sp?) is still gonna be coaching this Saturday but it will be a game-time decision on him coaching in the booth or on the field. I dont understand this at all.

"Penn State assistant coach Mike McQueary will not be in attendance at Saturday's home contest against Nebraska 'due to multiple threats' made against him, Penn State athletics said in a statement this evening."

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/penn_states_mike_mcqueary_wont.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index. ... _wont.html</a>

Well thats a start. Still dont understand why hes currently employed tho...

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Wow.

On Friday, The Patriot-News was the first news organization to report that former Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky had been charged with child sex abuse. Since then, the national media have descended on Happy Valley and our own coverage has drawn 6 million page views on PennLive.com.

While many readers have expressed their appreciation for our coverage, some have asked: Forget Joe Paterno or Graham Spanier. Why didn’t The Patriot-News investigate these allegations sooner?

That’s an important question. Here is the answer:

The Patriot-News broke the story that Jerry Sandusky was being investigated for child sex abuse back in March. We told the stories of two victims in detail.

We wrote additional stories in April and August, including one that reported the grand jury had heard testimony from multiple victims.

Any of the national news media who were shocked by Sandusky’s indictment last week evidently don’t read our newspaper or look at our website. They should have.

But could we have reported the story sooner than March?

Until 1998, none of the young victims came forward to tell their story — not to the police or to anyone. It is a terrible cruelty that the trauma of sex abuse often drives victims into silence when sharing their story could help them and others.

In 1998, a boy who was 12 at the time told police that Sandusky had showered with him in the Penn State football locker room during a tour. The boy claimed Sandusky assaulted him during the shower.

During our own investigation, years later, the mother told us that she had been specifically instructed by state police not to speak with reporters.

No charges were filed against Sandusky in 1998. With the mother cowed into silence, the incident remained buried.

No further victims or witnesses spoke up until the 2002 incident that involved Mike McQueary, Paterno and other top university officials.

It appears from the grand jury presentment that the school’s aim was to handle this report very quietly. They succeeded. No one who had been directly involved talked about it at the time. No one.

Sandusky flaunted the so-called “ban” on his bringing kids to campus — in fact, he held Second Mile camps on other Penn State campuses as recently as 2008. We never noticed any sanctions against the former coach because they didn’t really exist.

In the years that followed, still more victims maintained their silence.

That changed in 2009, when a Clinton County boy and a wrestling coach who had witnessed an incident came forward with new allegations. This time, word leaked out in the form of rumors that caught the attention of two reporters: Jan Murphy of The Patriot-News and Sara Ganim, then a reporter with the Centre Daily Times in State College.

Now here’s what a news organization like ours thinks about rumors:

In one sense, they’re worthless. We don’t report a rumor that someone has broken the law.

Would you like it if your neighbor called to tell us that you had been involved in sex abuse and we printed it? We demand at least two or even three independent and highly credible sources to print any anonymous allegation of criminal behavior.

Murphy tracked down sources who confirmed that the rumors were serious but found no one with firsthand, verifiable knowledge of the case.

Sara Ganim had more luck. After a great deal of work, Ganim eventually located and spoke with the victim’s mother. But we needed much more if we were to accuse a Penn State coaching legend of an abhorrent crime.

After Ganim came to The Patriot-News, she continued her reporting in Centre, Mifflin, Clinton and Dauphin counties. She interviewed more than 26 people, often three or four times.

We confirmed their statements in other ways, as well. Sara tracked down a second victim, witnesses and other sources who could talk not only about the Clinton County victim but about what had happened back in 1998.

With enough evidence that we were confident of its accuracy, we published the story on March 31.

The national media ignored it. Locally, we mainly received anger from some readers.

“It truly is troubling to me to see a ‘reputable’ newspaper such as The Patriot-News carrying this type of sensationalist story,” wrote one.

“Shame on those who have tried to defile the legacy that Jerry Sandusky has worked so hard to build,” wrote another.

We stood by the story and more stories followed. We have been told by those with knowledge of the grand jury investigation that our stories prompted additional victims to come forward.

Many of my colleagues here at The Patriot-News are Penn State alumni. Many more of us are Lions fans or have simply admired Joe Paterno. This has been an unbelievably sad week for us along with hundreds of thousands of Penn Staters and millions of Americans who feel the same way.

If we had any inkling of this alleged conduct before 2009 — from any victims, witnesses or those who knew them — we would have investigated it with all the vigor we possess. And we would have been no less careful to deal not in rumors or speculation, but in facts.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/penn_state_child_sex-abuse_sca.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index. ... e_sca.html</a>

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Dan Dierdorf goes off on Bernie's show about the PSU affair (goto around minute 12:15 of interview).

[mp3]http://stage.101espn.com/podcasting/2011/11/11112011122211.mp3[/mp3]

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
McQueary in protective custody?

During a brief and emotional conversation, McQueary told them, “I wanted to let you guys know I'm not your coach anymore. I'm done.”

When players asked, "Coach, where are you? Can we see you?" McQueary responded, “No, I'm actually in protective custody. I'm not in State College.”

<a class="postlink" href="http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2011/11/mcqueary_tells_psu_wideouts_he.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/201 ... ts_he.html</a>

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
As a Husker fan, this game is going to be hard to watch. What do we have to do to bring "PUBLIC CANING" into practice in this country???? That would be a good start for these sick fucks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
interference said:
Dan Dierdorf goes off on Bernie's show about the PSU affair (goto around minute 12:15 of interview).

Light moment. Sliding up to find 12:15, I stop and hear Dierdorf say, "I have to work on crabs in Baltimore." I know what they were talking about now, but it sure was a wtf moment.

But I'm still not on board with the Paterno firing. First off, Sandusky retired in '99, so in 2002 Paterno was not his boss. Paterno reported the situation to Curley, and that's where it became clustered. You would think that the university leaders would step up and inform the proper authorities, or that when they did not the individuals involved at the start, McQueary and Paterno, would do what's right. Then again, we don't know the politics and pressures that might have been aimed at them. Well, we do know about McQueary.

I also think this is bogus:
2002 -- The Second Mile learns of the shower incident.
... as far as anyone will admit. This organization better get the microscope treatment.

superfan24

Starter
Ram Quixote said:
interference said:

Light moment. Sliding up to find 12:15, I stop and hear Dierdorf say, "I have to work on crabs in Baltimore." I know what they were talking about now, but it sure was a wtf moment.

But I'm still not on board with the Paterno firing. First off, Sandusky retired in '99, so in 2002 Paterno was not his boss. Paterno reported the situation to Curley, and that's where it became clustered. You would think that the university leaders would step up and inform the proper authorities, or that when they did not the individuals involved at the start, McQueary and Paterno, would do what's right. Then again, we don't know the politics and pressures that might have been aimed at them. Well, we do know about McQueary.

... as far as anyone will admit. This organization better get the microscope treatment.

Well Paterno still allowed him to have kids around the campus and around Sandusky after he knew what he did to a 10 year old. Paterno is another guy who allowed a pedophile to ruin the lives of more children that he could have stopped.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
superfan24 said:
Ram Quixote said:
interference said:

Well Paterno still allowed him to have kids around the campus and around Sandusky after he knew what he did to a 10 year old. Paterno is another guy who allowed a pedophile to ruin the lives of more children that he could have stopped.
In the simplest terms, that's true. But Second Mile, the charity with all those power names behind it, and that was supplying him with juvenile fodder, didn't do anything either.

Penn State's board of trustees decision to fire Paterno is simply another smoke screen intended to get Penn State itself out of equation. "See? No one who was involved is here anymore." This same board would not have been kept in the dark over such a thing. People who have control don't really give it away to football coaches, even icons like Paterno. How much thought did they really give to kicking their 84-year old dinosaur to the curb?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Ram Quixote said:
In the simplest terms, that's true. But Second Mile, the charity with all those power names behind it, and that was supplying him with juvenile fodder, didn't do anything either.
Oh, I think Second Mile is certainly culpable here, and I also think that that's where the investigation will turn next unless big powerbrokers are able to successfully squash it. I happen to believe the rumors that Mark Madden made public, and that's that Second Mile served as a reservoir of young underprivileged children for pedophillic purposes.

Ram Quixote said:
Penn State's board of trustees decision to fire Paterno is simply another smoke screen intended to get Penn State itself out of equation. "See? No one who was involved is here anymore." This same board would not have been kept in the dark over such a thing. People who have control don't really give it away to football coaches, even icons like Paterno. How much thought did they really give to kicking their 84-year old dinosaur to the curb?
Yup, PSU has always only thought about itself, and we're witnessing that again. Of course the Board knew. I guess the question now is, are the members of the board powerful enough to protect themselves long enough for the public to lose interest?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Second Mile has removed it's list of Honorary Board members. I read they decided to do this after several members asked to be removed from the list. If you click on the quoted link below, you'll get a 404 "Not Found" error. Here is the list that I posted here earlier, and copied from Second Mile's website BEFORE they deleted it.

Our Board of Directors: Honorary Board

John R. Cappelletti - Retired PSU & NFL Football Player, Heisman Trophy Winner

R. R. M. Carpenter, III - Former Owner, Philadelphia Phillies

James E. Ford - Retired Vice President, Kmart

William A. Gettig - President, Gettig Technologies, Inc.

Jack Ham - Retired NFL Player, Pittsburgh Steelers, Hall of Fame

Franco Harris - Retired NFL Player, Pittsburgh Steelers, Hall of Fame

Lou Holtz - Retired Football Coach, Sportscaster, and Motivational Speaker

Dr. Bryce Jordan - Retired, Penn State University President

Willi Maier - President, Omni Plastics, Inc.

Matt Millen - ESPN Football Analyst

Arnold D. Palmer - President, Arnold Palmer Enterprises

Joseph V. Paterno - Head Football Coach, Penn State University

Andy Reid - Head Football Coach, Philadelphia Eagles

Dr. John Reidell - General Surgeon, Past Second Mile Board President

Cal Ripken, Jr. - Former ML Baseball Shortstop, President & CEO of Ripken Baseball, Inc.

Dominic Toscani - Owner & President, Paris Business Forms

Richard Vermeil - Retired NFL Head Coach, (Kansas City Chiefs, St. Louis Rams, Philadelphia Eagles)

Mark Wahlberg - Actor, Rapper, and Film & TV Producer

Verne Willaman - Retired Chairman and President, Ortho Pharmaceutical Corp.

Quentin Wood - Retired Chairman and CEO, Quaker State Oil Refining Corp.

Richard A. Zimmerman - Retired Chairman of the Board, Hershey Foods

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.thesecondmile.org/ourTeam/bod/bodHono.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thesecondmile.org/ourTeam/bod/bodHono.php</a>

Other than delete this list from their website, what has Second Mile done since this story broke? You'd think that they would have announced an independent investigation of their organization and all of its operations. I mean, they're a nonprofit setup to protect underprivileged children, right?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
You have got to be kidding me... this man is deeply deeply disturbed. Are you telling me that no one who was around him saw his odd behavior? Of course they knew, and they protected him?

The entire institution of PSU should have independent oversight until proven responsible leadership and permanent oversights can be put in place.

Jerry Sandusky's autobiography 'Touched' contains passages that now make the reader cringe
Published: Saturday, November 12, 2011, 4:00 PM Updated: Saturday, November 12, 2011, 5:47 PM
The Patriot-News By The Patriot-News
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/jerry_sandusky_autobiography_t.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index. ... phy_t.html</a>

The former Penn State coach called it "Touched: The Jerry Sandusky Story." You couldn't make that up. In a Hollywood movie, critics would call it not believable

Last week, Sandusky was indicted on 40 counts of child sex abuse, with the alleged incidents stretching from 1998 to 2008. And the name he gave to his 2000 autobiography is not the only thing that looks different in light of the horrendous allegations.

In the book, Sandusky talks about his career as Penn State's legendary defensive coordinator - and heir apparent to head coach Joe Paterno. He also devotes much of the book to his relationships with boys through The Second Mile, the kids' football charity he founded in 1977.

"I had always professed that someday I would reap the benefits of maturity, but my lifestyle just wouldn't let me." That's how Sandusky launches into the life story he published a year after he retired from Penn State in 1999 to work full time for his charity. "Through The Second Mile, Sandusky had access to hundreds of boys, many of whom were vulnerable due to their social situation," according to the grand jury presentment.

As many people have read the presentment, they have been astonished that Sandusky was alleged to have committed sexual assaults in locker room showers, wrestling rooms and other public places where anyone could have walked in. Indeed, the presentment alleges that Sandusky was seen in the act of sexual assault twice and in suggestive positions on other occasions.

In "Touched," Sandusky paints a picture of himself as someone who would consistently take risks in pursuit of what he often refers to as "mischief."

"My father probably spoke the most truthful words about me that had ever been spoke," he writes. " 'Jer,' he said, 'you could mess up a free lunch.' ... I thrived on testing the limits of others and I enjoyed taking chances in danger."

After founding his charity, one night Sandusky was talking to two Second Mile boys who had rebelled against their foster parents. The foster father "grabbed me around the back of my shoulders and he made me do something when I didn't want to do it," one boy told Sandusky.

"Do you ever grab your kids like that?"

"No, I don't grab my kids like that," Sandusky answered. "I grab them like this." With that, I put my hands gently around their throat.

"I could tell they were totally confused," Sandusky wrote. "Both boys had a scared look in their eyes."

The book repeatedly described Sandusky hugging boys and talking about being very close to boys he met through the charity. He writes of the photos that adorn his office walls, "They are kids that have touched my life and have been a part of me for a long, long time."

"I believe I live a good part of my life in a make-believe world," Sandusky wrote in one of the final chapters. "I enjoyed pretending as a kid, and I love doing the same as an adult with these kids."

Jerry Sandusky concludes his 238-page autobiography with these words: "I ended my career the way I wanted it to end. ... This is how I have been touched by so many people in my lifetime, and how I hope I can add a little touch to others' lives as well."

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Ram Quixote said:

But I think people see Paterno as someone who could have stopped this especially since he had a relationship with Sandusky for such a long time. On top of that, Paterno made himself look even worse when he actually said in hindsight, he wished he could have done more.

Do we know how much power Paterno truly has at PSU? I dont think so, and PSU made him the fall guy because there was no leadership above him that stepped forward.

FIXED.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
JdashSTL said:
Ram Quixote said:
interference said:

But I think people see Paterno as someone who could have stopped this especially since he had a relationship with Sandusky for such a long time. On top of that, Paterno made himself look even worse when he actually said in hindsight, he wished he could have done more.

Do we know how much power Paterno truly has at PSU? I dont think so, and PSU made him the fall guy because there was no leadership above him that stepped forward.
Jdash, you've got me mistakenly quoted as saying above, but I think it was actually Ram Quixote who made the statement about Paterno.

In any event, if this things ends up being larger than it is now, and it is found that Second Mile was aware of what was going on, then it would look to me that Paterno was not just protecting his football program, but a much larger community. If that's the case, then I would think Paterno made a conscious choice cover up the entire sorted affair.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
The Judge Who Set Unsecured Bail For Jerry Sandusky Is a Second Mile Volunteer.

I don't know Penn law, but you'd think that the Judge would have had to recuse herself from this proceedings, or at least publicly acknowledge the potential conflict of interest
Judge Who Set Unsecured Bail For Jerry Sandusky Is a Second Mile Volunteer
<a class="postlink" href="http://deadspin.com/5859075/judge-who-set-unsecured-bail-for-jerry-sandusky-is-a-second-mile-volunteer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://deadspin.com/5859075/judge-who-s ... -volunteer</a>

When Jerry Sandusky was initially arraigned, as previously reported by Sara Ganim, prosecutors requested $500,000.00 bail and that Sandusky be required to wear a leg monitor. District Judge Leslie Dutchcot, however, ordered that Sandusky be freed on $100,000.00 unsecured bail. She ordered that Sandusky be freed and pay nothing unless he failed to show up for a court hearing.

Judge Dutchcot has quite the professional resume. In addition to her duties as District Judge, she is of counsel to the firm Goodall & Yurchak. It speaks to the small town nature of the county, I suppose, that the firm's URL is "centrelaw.com." According to her profile, Judge Dutchcot has been named the State College Lawyer of the Year, completed a "Leadership" program and has served as a counselor at Centre County Law Enforcement Camp Cadet, Inc.

Of course, also according to her profile, Judge Dutchcot is a volunteer for Sandusky's group, The Second Mile. Sandusky turned himself in the morning of November 5, a Saturday, at Judge Dutchot's Centre County office. He was released, under the aforementioned terms, shortly thereafter.

Attorneys often serve charitable foundations in their pro bono capacities, or just volunteer in their spare time, so there is nothing weird about that. It just seems that, given the nature of the charges, the small town atmosphere and her relationship to Second Mile, Judge Dutchcot should have recused herself from being involved with this process. Or, that could be precisely why she did not.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Yeah I read that earlier today. Dont even know what to think about it lol.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
This whole affair I fear is darker than we know. I mean the prosecutor that was on this case went missing? Hmmmmm

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Love him or hate him, Peter King weighs-in today on his Monday Morning QB

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/11/14/Week10/4.html

9. I think these are my Penn State thoughts. If you've read or listened to me expressing an outsider's view on Paterno over the years (I don't know him at all), you know I thought it absurd that an 84-year-old man, particularly one who has had health problems, was coaching a major-college football team. Hanging on the way Paterno did was not gallant; it was selfish. I admire his giving and his devotion to the university, and I believe he deserved better than to be fired on the phone Wednesday night, particularly because there's so much we don't know about the case that caused him (justifiably) to be terminated. But he'd hung on way too long. The New York Times had a telling photo the other day of Paterno at practice last week, sitting on his golf cart -- and appearing to be asleep. My thoughts on the week:

a. There will never be any doubt in my mind that this whole story could have, and should have, been exposed in 1998, when the district attorney of Centre County, Pa., where the university is located, failed to take solid evidence of Jerry Sandusky's relationship with a young boy to a grand jury. That DA, Ray Gricar, never said why -- even though Sandusky was confronted by the mother and tacitly admitted something had happened and said, "I wish I were dead,'' which was overheard by two eavesdropping officers. (Gricar disappeared in 2005 and hasn't been heard from since.) Even if Sandusky had been tried and found innocent, the trial would have cast a spotlight on Sandusky . Who knows how much of the other alleged abuses could have been prevented if Sandusky knew after 1998 the world was watching him?

b. There is a weight of supposition that Paterno should have done something more than he did when his grad assistant, Mike McQueary, told him he witnessed Sandusky with a young boy in a shower at Penn State in 2002. McQueary told Paterno about it the next day -- though what precisely he told Paterno is not crystal clear. McQueary told the grand jury he witnessed Sandusky raping the boy. Paterno told the grand jury that McQueary told him of Sandusky "fondling or doing something of a sexual nature.''

Paterno waited until the day after that to notify his superiors of McQueary's report. Paterno said the other day, "I wish I had done more.'' The weight of evidence is piling up that Paterno should have done more, and he's going to have to bring some compelling reasons why he should not be found exceedingly morally negligent in the case, at the least.

The reason I refuse to bury him yet is there is no need to. There's a need to know more first. What precisely did McQueary tell Paterno? I mean, precisely. That's unclear. I've had football people tell me in the last few days just what Barry Switzer said the other day: Paterno had to know what was going on with Sandusky over the years, and the same with members of the staff. They had to know. I think there's a good chance that is true. But do we know Paterno knew? No.

And what of the evidence that Paterno and Penn State buried the truth about Sandusky after the 2002 incident, enabling more years of the alleged abuse to happen? Certainly the university's sanction of Sandusky -- reporting him to his children's charity and taking away his keys to the locker room and telling him not to bring children on campus -- is laughably light if they believed what McQueary told them. But does this fall on Paterno? There will be time to sift through everything at trial, and to see what blame lies with Paterno.

c. I don't think this should be a country of guilty until proven innocent, and I'm having a little problem with the angry national supposition that Sandusky is suspect 1 and Paterno 1a.

d. I do think Paterno should have been fired, as I said, because the university had to draw a line in the sand and (though it hasn't done so yet) say a new football program will have to be built from scratch.

e. Should Sandusky be found guilty of these horrific crimes, there will be scores of people with scarred reputations for eternity, including one presumed-dead prosecuting attorney.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Jerry Sandusky to Bob Costas in exclusive 'Rock Center' interview:
"I shouldn't have showered with those kids."

[flv]http://msnbc.vo.llnwd.net/e1/video/flash/x_30_rc_sanduskyexclusive_111114.flv[/flv]

By Jessica Hopper
Rock Center

DEVELOPING: Former Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky admitted to showering and horsing around with young boys but said he is not a pedophile in an exclusive interview with Bob Costas for NBC News' Rock Center airing tonight at 10 pm/9 CT.

"I say that I am innocent of those charges," said Sandusky in a phone interview with Costas.

When asked by Costas, "Are you a pedophile," Sandusky responded "No."

Joe Paterno’s one time defensive coordinator was charged earlier this month with 40 counts of sexually abusing eight boys. He is currently free on a $100,000 bond and has denied any wrongdoing. The allegations date back to 1994, according to a grand jury report. A grand jury report detailed claims of alleged sexual encounters with young boys in Sandusky's home, hotels and Penn State locker rooms.

"I could say that I have done some of those things. I have horsed around with kids I have showered after workouts. I have hugged them and I have touched their legs without intent of sexual contact," said Sandusky.

When pressed by Costas about what Sandusky was willing to concede that he'd done was wrong, Sandusky said, "I shouldn't have showered with those kids."

The scandal has tarnished the reputation of the once heralded football program, leading to the departure of coaching legend Paterno and three other university officials. It’s also left students and residents of State College, Penn., shocked.

The sight of the 67-year-old Sandusky in handcuffs is hard to reconcile with his public image of a devoted father of six adopted kids who founded a charity to help at risk youth. That charity, The Second Mile, has also come under fire.

All of the alleged sex abuse victims met Sandusky through their participation in The Second Mile. Sandusky founded the charity in 1977 as a group foster home for troubled boys. It spawned into a non-profit organization that has raised millions of dollars to help young boys and girls. Today, Chief Executive Officer Jack Raykovitz’s resignation was announced by the non-profit organization’s board of directors. Grand jury testimony alleges that Raykovitz was aware of at least one of the allegations against Sandusky.

In an NBC News interview from 1987, Sandusky joked that he started The Second Mile because he was a “frustrated playground director.”

“I enjoy being around children. I enjoy their enthusiasm. I just have a good time with them,” Sandusky said.

Sandusky gave up his day to day duties at the organization in 2010. By that time, at least two people had allegedly witnessed Sandusky sexually abusing two different boys in showers on Penn State’s campus, according to a grand jury report.

While Sandusky retired as a coach at Pennsylvania State University in 1999, he continued to have access to Penn State’s facilities. In 2002, he was banned from bringing minors to campus athletic facilities after then graduate student Mike McQueary allegedly witnessed Sandusky molesting a boy, according to the grand jury report. The incident was never reported to police or investigated by university police. Sandusky allegedly violated the order not to bring minors to campus by bringing at least one victim to the campus after 2002, according to the grand jury report.

The alleged victims testified that they were abused in hotel rooms, Sandusky’s own home and on Penn State’s campus. Some victims testified that Sandusky would visit them frequently at their schools when they didn’t return his phone calls, according to the grand jury report.

Editor's note: Bob Costas' exclusive interview airs on Rock Center tonight at 10pm/9 CT on NBC.

In an earlier edition of this report, we mistakenly identified a location of Sandusky's alleged sexual encounters as Paterno's home. According to the grand jury report, it was Sandusky's home.

<a class="postlink" href="http://rockcenter.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/14/8804779-jerry-sandusky-to-bob-costas-in-exclusive-rock-center-interview-i-shouldnt-have-showered-with-those-kids" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://rockcenter.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2 ... those-kids</a>

superfan24

Starter
interference said:
Jerry Sandusky to Bob Costas in exclusive 'Rock Center' interview:
"I shouldn't have showered with those kids."

[flv]http://msnbc.vo.llnwd.net/e1/video/flash/x_30_rc_sanduskyexclusive_111114.flv[/flv]

By Jessica Hopper
Rock Center

DEVELOPING: Former Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky admitted to showering and horsing around with young boys but said he is not a pedophile in an exclusive interview with Bob Costas for NBC News' Rock Center airing tonight at 10 pm/9 CT.

"I say that I am innocent of those charges," said Sandusky in a phone interview with Costas.

When asked by Costas, "Are you a pedophile," Sandusky responded "No."

Joe Paterno’s one time defensive coordinator was charged earlier this month with 40 counts of sexually abusing eight boys. He is currently free on a $100,000 bond and has denied any wrongdoing. The allegations date back to 1994, according to a grand jury report. A grand jury report detailed claims of alleged sexual encounters with young boys in Sandusky's home, hotels and Penn State locker rooms.

"I could say that I have done some of those things. I have horsed around with kids I have showered after workouts. I have hugged them and I have touched their legs without intent of sexual contact," said Sandusky.

When pressed by Costas about what Sandusky was willing to concede that he'd done was wrong, Sandusky said, "I shouldn't have showered with those kids."

The scandal has tarnished the reputation of the once heralded football program, leading to the departure of coaching legend Paterno and three other university officials. It’s also left students and residents of State College, Penn., shocked.

The sight of the 67-year-old Sandusky in handcuffs is hard to reconcile with his public image of a devoted father of six adopted kids who founded a charity to help at risk youth. That charity, The Second Mile, has also come under fire.

All of the alleged sex abuse victims met Sandusky through their participation in The Second Mile. Sandusky founded the charity in 1977 as a group foster home for troubled boys. It spawned into a non-profit organization that has raised millions of dollars to help young boys and girls. Today, Chief Executive Officer Jack Raykovitz’s resignation was announced by the non-profit organization’s board of directors. Grand jury testimony alleges that Raykovitz was aware of at least one of the allegations against Sandusky.

In an NBC News interview from 1987, Sandusky joked that he started The Second Mile because he was a “frustrated playground director.”

“I enjoy being around children. I enjoy their enthusiasm. I just have a good time with them,” Sandusky said.

Sandusky gave up his day to day duties at the organization in 2010. By that time, at least two people had allegedly witnessed Sandusky sexually abusing two different boys in showers on Penn State’s campus, according to a grand jury report.

While Sandusky retired as a coach at Pennsylvania State University in 1999, he continued to have access to Penn State’s facilities. In 2002, he was banned from bringing minors to campus athletic facilities after then graduate student Mike McQueary allegedly witnessed Sandusky molesting a boy, according to the grand jury report. The incident was never reported to police or investigated by university police. Sandusky allegedly violated the order not to bring minors to campus by bringing at least one victim to the campus after 2002, according to the grand jury report.

The alleged victims testified that they were abused in hotel rooms, Sandusky’s own home and on Penn State’s campus. Some victims testified that Sandusky would visit them frequently at their schools when they didn’t return his phone calls, according to the grand jury report.

Editor's note: Bob Costas' exclusive interview airs on Rock Center tonight at 10pm/9 CT on NBC.

In an earlier edition of this report, we mistakenly identified a location of Sandusky's alleged sexual encounters as Paterno's home. According to the grand jury report, it was Sandusky's home.

<a class="postlink" href="http://rockcenter.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/14/8804779-jerry-sandusky-to-bob-costas-in-exclusive-rock-center-interview-i-shouldnt-have-showered-with-those-kids" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://rockcenter.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2 ... those-kids</a>

Surprised his attorneys let the slimeball talk, but i guess he's trying to lessen the public opinion against him. Didn't do a very good job of it. Sick sob

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
That interview did not help his claim for innocence at all. The only thing I wonder now is once this thing is all over, is there any chance this man does not end up in prison?