Stuff going on at Penn State

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Im still shocked by the news there. Ive had a few days to process it and hear more stuff about it but it is still shocking and disturbing. A little over a week ago I got to watch some of Penn State/Illinois, Paterno gets the record for coaching wins, and now everything has drastically changed for him and that entire college program.

Thoughts?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I simply do not believe the charges. My first enquiry would be to look into the Atty Gen and the machine behind him before I even start to draw any conclusions.

Do you recall the rape allegations against those Duke players a few years ago. That atty gen was eventually disgraced.

There is more to this story than meets the eye. My suggestion is to dig into, and find out who might benefit from such a story.

superfan24

Starter
Re:

interference said:
I simply do not believe the charges. My first enquiry would be to look into the Atty Gen and the machine behind him before I even start to draw any conclusions.

Do you recall the rape allegations against those Duke players a few years ago. That atty gen was eventually disgraced.

There is more to this story than meets the eye. My suggestion is to dig into, and find out who might benefit from such a story.

Idk who would be sick enough to make up these allegations. The guy has been retired for years so why make it up if it isn't true?
This is disgusting and they all should go down if these allegations are true.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Re: Re:

superfan24 said:
Idk who would be sick enough to make up these allegations.
a politician seeking more power

superfan24 said:
The guy has been retired for years so why make it up if it isn't true? .
I don't know...... YET.

superfan24 said:
This is disgusting and they all should go down if these allegations are true.
They are still ONLY allegations, so lets not fry the guy yet. There is probably lots to be revealed, and hopefully the trial process will do that. I think if the guy is guilty, it will be irrefuteable.

My guess is there is a larger backstory here. I just don't know what that is because its way too early in the reporting process.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Re:

interference said:

I just get the feeling that this is gonna get worse as we find out more stuff. Joe Paterno may have to resign. Penn State will have a hard time recovering from this no matter what. Thats just my gut feeling right now.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

JdashSTL said:
interference said:

I just get the feeling that this is gonna get worse as we find out more stuff. Joe Paterno may have to resign. Penn State will have a hard time recovering from this no matter what. Thats just my gut feeling right now.
Yup, I think you're probably right. It's going to be ugly. But if the allegations prove-out in court, then let the chips fall where they may.

However, I still wonder if there are hidden motives here, and I'm going to stay patient for more info as it becomes available.

superfan24

Starter
Obviously it'll be better when more info comes out, but do you guys think Joe Pa should step down immediately? That's pretty damning with the police commissioner calling him out. Feel bad for the players.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
superfan24 said:
Obviously it'll be better when more info comes out, but do you guys think Joe Pa should step down immediately? That's pretty damning with the police commissioner calling him out. Feel bad for the players.

Havent 2 other people at PSU already stepped down? I think he has to. Look at Tressel at OSU, if he had to step down then you would think that Paterno has to go.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

interference said:
JdashSTL said:
interference said:

Yup, I think you're probably right. It's going to be ugly. But if the allegations prove-out in court, then let the chips fall where they may.

However, I still wonder if there are hidden motives here, and I'm going to stay patient for more info as it becomes available.

Thats understandable. That thought never entered my mind. I was in shock. Just think about how bad things have been for NCAA recently. USC sanctions, Tressel leaving Ohio State, Miami story coming out right before the season started, and now this one completely trumps them all, and the worst part is this is an investigation that should have happened about 10 years ago.

superfan24

Starter
JdashSTL said:
superfan24 said:

Havent 2 other people at PSU already stepped down? I think he has to. Look at Tressel at OSU, if he had to step down then you would think that Paterno has to go.

Yes, but they have been charged with a crime. Paterno hasn't and won't be charged

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
superfan24 said:
JdashSTL said:
superfan24 said:

Yes, but they have been charged with a crime. Paterno hasn't and won't be charged

I understand that. He did nothing illegal, but I still dont see him making it through this with his job intact.

superfan24

Starter
JdashSTL said:
superfan24 said:
JdashSTL said:
superfan24 said:

I understand that. He did nothing illegal, but I still dont see him making it through this with his job intact.

Yep I agree too. Unfortunate way to end his career

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

JdashSTL said:
interference said:
JdashSTL said:
interference said:

Thats understandable. That thought never entered my mind. I was in shock. Just think about how bad things have been for NCAA recently. USC sanctions, Tressel leaving Ohio State, Miami story coming out right before the season started, and now this one completely trumps them all, and the worst part is this is an investigation that should have happened about 10 years ago.
I agree that this should have happened 10 yrs ago - very odd it didn't. But then again, maybe it did and there was insufficient info to move forward. On the other hand, maybe back then there wasn't a politician in the mix who recently took office and is seeking national attention. Just don't know.

But yes, it's very unfortunate that people's careers are tanked before guilt is established in a court of law via a jury of their peers. Instead, we have media, owned by very rich people, deciding people's destiny.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Re:

interference said:

I was reading about the story on Sunday morning and it seems as though there are multiple accusers and multiple witnesses to these abuses. I'm not going to say he's guilty, because I have never personally seen him do it, but it doesn't look very good for him right now. I'm not sure about whether or not Paterno will have to step down, but let's face it he had to be close to retirement anyway.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

brokeu91 said:
I was reading about the story on Sunday morning and it seems as though there are multiple accusers and multiple witnesses to these abuses. I'm not going to say he's guilty, because I have never personally seen him do it, but it doesn't look very good for him right now. I'm not sure about whether or not Paterno will have to step down, but let's face it he had to be close to retirement anyway.
I still haven't dug into the story, but wasn't this known 10 yrs ago during the initial investigation? If so, gotta wonder why it was not pursued.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

interference said:
brokeu91 said:
I still haven't dug into the story, but wasn't this known 10 yrs ago during the initial investigation? If so, gotta wonder why it was not pursued.

Well didnt they also have parents come forward in 1998 but they couldnt charge Sandusky with anything? That just involved the campus police.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

JdashSTL said:
interference said:
brokeu91 said:

Well didnt they also have parents come forward in 1998 but they couldnt charge Sandusky with anything? That just involved the campus police.
so, the question becomes, what's changed in the past 10 yrs?

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim

interference said:
JdashSTL said:
interference said:
brokeu91 said:

The rush to judgement in situations like this always appalls me (not that it's happening here at ROD). We talk about implications like they're inevitable. You want the truth, you have to seek it out, not lay out allegations in the media like ugly insinuations spoken among cronies in a lunch room.

Due process requires patience, a trait not known among talking heads, bloggers and print room editors, and increasingly rare in the general public. Public opinion will bury everyone involved long before anything real emerges.

And if Paterno becomes Dreyfuss (insert your own wrongfully accused), the apology will be far too late.
--end rant--

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

interference said:
JdashSTL said:
interference said:
brokeu91 said:

Thats what I dont understand. Why did it happen now? Did PSU find a way to cover it up this long and then something drastically changed? Who knows.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler

Ram Quixote said:
The rush to judgement in situations like this always appalls me (not that it's happening here at ROD). We talk about implications like they're inevitable. You want the truth, you have to seek it out, not lay out allegations in the media like ugly insinuations spoken among cronies in a lunch room.

Due process requires patience, a trait not known among talking heads, bloggers and print room editors, and increasingly rare in the general public. Public opinion will bury everyone involved long before anything real emerges.

And if Paterno becomes Dreyfuss (insert your own wrongfully accused), the apology will be far too late.
--end rant--

But I think the big issue that leads people to react the way they do is the MULTIPLE allegations. I honestly cant see any light at the end of the tunnel for anyone at PSU. Can things change? Yes. I just dont see how all this information can be made public and then later on it becomes a big misunderstanding. And all the PSU officials are being very silent on this. That silence speaks volumes. I completely understand why. Its a legal process right now and its best for people to stay quiet, but its still tough on everyone because people want answers. Theres not much patience.