Stuff going on at Penn State

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here is the Grand Jury report, I will also say that you should read this with caution.

<a class="postlink" href="http://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/sandusky-grand-jury-presentment.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2 ... ntment.pdf</a>

superfan24

Starter
JdashSTL said:
Here is the Grand Jury report, I will also say that you should read this with caution.

<a class="postlink" href="http://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/sandusky-grand-jury-presentment.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cbschicago.files.wordpress.com/2 ... ntment.pdf</a>

Wow could only read some of it. Sick,sick person. Don't read it if you have a weak stomach.
If true, all of them should go down hard, sandusky is a whole different story :nono:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
CNN has done the following summary.

It looks like the investigation started in November 2008 (or perhaps in 2007, as it's not clear to me yet)... so what took so long? Now, I wonder if there was a good-ole-boyz network that kept the investigation under wraps, and it took a new administration to break it loose.

Here's the CNN Summary:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/07/justice/pennsylvania-coach-abuse-timeline/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/07/justice/p ... index.html</a>

Here's a look at the timeline, drawn from the grand jury report, the Pennslyvania attorney general's office and a statement from The Second Mile, a charity founded by Sandusky to help troubled youth:

1977 -- Sandusky founds "The Second Mile."

1994-1997 -- According to the grand jury report, Sandusky allegedly engages in inappropriate conduct with three different boys he met separately through the Second Mile program. One boy was 7 or 8, another was 10 and the third was 12 or 13 at the time. According to the grand jury report, the now-grown men said Sandusky engaged in inappropriate conduct ranging from touching to outright sexual encounters, including several incidents during the night before Penn State football home games, when the team, staff and boys Sandusky had allegedly invited were staying at a hotel.

1998 -- Penn State police and the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare investigate an incident in which the mother of an 11-year-old boy reported that Sandusky had showered with her son and may have had inappropriate conduct with him. In a June 1, 1998, interview with investigators from both agencies, Sandusky admits showering naked with the boy, admitting that it was wrong and promising not to do it again, according to the grand jury report. The district attorney advises investigators that no charges will be filed and the university police chief instructs that the case be closed, according to the testimony included in the grand jury report of the police detective who investigated the incident.

1999 -- Sandusky retires from Penn State after coaching there for 32 years, but stays on as a volunteer
and retains full access to the campus and football facilities.

2000 -- Sandusky allegedly showers with a young boy and tries to touch his genitals during overnight stays at the coach's house, according to the now 24-year-old man's testimony included in the grand jury report.

2000 -- Tim Calhoun, a janitor at the Lasch Football Building on the Penn State campus, tells his supervisor and another janitor that he saw Sandusky performing oral sex on a young boy, according to the grand jury report. A second janitor reported that he saw Sandusky and a boy leave a shower room and walk out of the building hand in hand. No one reports the incident to university officials or law enforcement, according to the grand jury report.

March 2, 2002 -- According to the grand jury report, a graduate assistant allegedly tells Coach Joe Paterno that he saw Sandusky in the locker room shower the night before, performing anal sex on a young boy he estimated to be 10 years old.

March 3, 2002 -- Paterno reports the incident to Athletic Director Tim Curley
, saying the graduate assistant had seen Sandusky "fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy," according to the grand jury. Later, the assistant is summoned to a meeting with Athletic Director Tim Curley and Senior Vice President for Finance and Business Gary Schultz..

While the assistant insists to the grand jury that he told Curley and Schultz that he saw Sandusky and the boy engaged in anal sex, Curley and Schultz told the grand jury they had not been told of such an allegation. Instead, Curley said he had the impression the conduct amounted to non-sexual "horsing around." Schultz said he couldn't remember details, but seemed to recall that "Sandusky might have inappropriately grabbed the young boy's genitals while wrestling," according to the grand jury. Sandusky's locker room keys are confiscated, he is told not to bring his Second Mile participants to campus and the incident is reported to the charity, but no law enforcement investigation is launched, according to the grand jury.

2002 -- The Second Mile learns of the shower incident. Curley tells them that "the information had been internally reviewed and that there was no finding of wrongdoing," the group said in a statement Monday.

2005 or 2006 -- Sandusky allegedly befriends another Second-Mile participant whose allegations would form the foundation of the multi-year grand jury investigation.

2006 or 2007 -- A wrestling coach at the high school where Sandusky was volunteering allegedly surprises Sandusky and the boy "lying on their sides, in physical contact, face to face on a mat" in a cramped weight room. Sandusky jumps to his feet and told the coach the two were just working on wrestling moves, the coach later recalls in grand jury testimony. As time goes on, Sandusky allegedly begins to spend more time with the boy, taking him to sporting events and giving him gifts, including golf clubs, a computer, cash and clothes. During this period, according to the grand jury report, Sandusky allegedly performs oral sex on the boy more than 20 times, and the boy performs oral sex on him once.

2008 -- The boy breaks off contact with Sandusky. Later, his mother calls the high school to report her son had been sexually assaulted and the principal bars Sandusky from campus and reports the incident to police. In grand jury testimony, the principal, Steven Turchetta, recalls Sandusky's behavior as suspicious, and said Sandusky was often "clingy" and "needy" when a student no longer wanted to spend time with him. The ensuing investigation reveals 118 calls from Sandusky's home and cell phone numbers to the boy's home.

November 2008 -- Sandusky informs The Second Mile that he is under investigation, and he is removed from all program activities involving children, according to the group.

September 2010 -- Sandusky retires from The Second Mile, according to the grand jury.

Friday -- The grand jury report is released.

Saturday -- Authorities arrest Sandusky on seven counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse and numerous other charges, including aggravated indecent assault, corruption of minors and endangering the welfare of a child. He is freed on $100,000 unsecured bail. Curley, 57, and Schultz, 62, are each charged with one count of felony perjury and one count of failure to report abuse allegations.

Sunday -- Curley asks for and is granted administrative leave to deal with the charges, while Schultz steps down from his post to retire.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Its almost like a bubble that kept getting bigger and bigger, but PSU kept finding ways to to keep this stuff quiet until the bubble just burst with this big investigation that goes back quite a few years (for the allegations on Sandusky). At first glance, my first reaction is a big cover up, but why? how? Why did PSU keep trying to protect this Sandusky guy and keep giving him access to the campus?

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Exclusive: Victims Double in Penn State case

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. - Fox 29 has learned the number of child-abuse in the Penn State sex-abuse scandal involving ex-coach Jerry Sandusky has more than doubled in the past day, and is closer to 20 victims.

There were eight victims named in the grand jury presentment and 40 charges leveled against Sandusky, a long-time assistant to Penn State head football coach Joe Paterno. Paterno was not named in the grand jury finding as violating any laws.

Sources tell Fox 29 since a press conference on Monday, the number of potential victims has more than doubled in the case.

Sandusky was arrested in the case and made bail, while two Penn State administrators face charges related to how an alleged crime was reported in the case to police and investigators.

On Monday, state officials publicized two phone numbers for past victims to call, and within a day, it seems investigators have new leads.

Also on Monday, Pennsylvania state attorney general Linda Kelly said the Sandusky case was consideried an on-going investigation and more charges could be coming.

Sandusky is charged with sexually abusing at least eight young boys he met through The Second Mile, a charity he founded in the late 1970s.

A preliminary hearing set for Wednesday was postponed until December 7th.

On Monday, Joe Paterno spoke briefly with reporters.

“I know you guys have a lot of questions and I was hoping I was going to be able to answer them today,” Paterno said outside his State College house. “But we’ll try to do it soon, as soon as we can. I can’t do it today.”

Joe Paterno's son told Fox 29 earlier that a New York Times report his father is leaving as Penn State's football coach isn't true.

Scott Paterno spoke with Fox 29 one hour after Penn State officials cancelled a scheduled press conference with Joe Paterno.

The New York Times reported after the cancelled conference that two sources told it that Penn State officials were negotiating Paterno's exit as football coach, perhaps within days, in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky sex scandal.

Scott Paterno called that report "fiction."

“There are no negotiations between us,” Scott Paterno said. “The New York Times report, you got to get the sources from them. ... The university has not in anyway shape or form indicated or contacted us about any type of retirement agreement, that is all fiction at this point."

“As of now, he’ll be coaching on Saturday and he’s getting ready for practice.”

Scott Paterno said father could be meeting with the press in the next day.

"The press conference was called off by the university, we are looking to arrange for another press availability at some point in the next 24 hours. When we have that arranged we will let everyone know."

“The coach did in fact want to answer questions about it and he will,” Paterno said.

“I can’t speak to what’s being discussed elsewhere but I can tell you at this point in time, there has been no discussions with the coach about retiring, there have been no discussions with the coach about stepping down, and as far as he’s concerned, he will be coaching the team on Saturday, and he’s looking forward to it.”

Scott Paterno also said he was speaking for the Paterno family, and not the university.

The school said in statement that it cancelled Paterno's weekly press conference due to the ongoing investigation into sex-abuse claims by former coach Sandusky.

"Due to the ongoing legal circumstances centered around the recent allegations and charges, we have determined that today's press conference cannnot be held and will not be rescheduled," the school said in a brief statement.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/sports/local_sports/exclusive%3A-victims-double-in-penn-state-case-110811" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/sports/l ... ase-110811</a>

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
interference said:
March 2, 2002 -- According to the grand jury report, a graduate assistant allegedly tells Coach Joe Paterno that he saw Sandusky in the locker room shower the night before, performing anal sex on a young boy he estimated to be 10 years old.
If this proves to be accurate, then I wonder if Paterno could be charged for failing to report this to law enforcement. I guess it depends on Pennsylvannia law and local politics.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
interference said:
interference said:
If this proves to be accurate, then I wonder if Paterno could be charged for failing to report this to law enforcement. I guess it depends on Pennsylvannia law and local politics.

I think the only way he gets in trouble is if theres more info that comes out and he failed to report it to someone.

Another developing thing in this situation is PSU clearly making him the fall guy. Wheres the leadership above him? I think that has to really anger the PSU students, alumni, etc. Its putting a ton of heat on him when it should be also focused on the other PSU officials that are still there or stepped down.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
JdashSTL said:
Another developing thing in this situation is PSU clearly making him the fall guy. Wheres the leadership above him? I think that has to really anger the PSU students, alumni, etc. Its putting a ton of heat on him when it should be also focused on the other PSU officials that are still there or stepped down.
Like shining a flashlight on a colony of roaches.

Back to why this case has taken so long to get to this stage. I wonder if the Penn State officials were being protected by an old boyz political network until the appointment of Linda Kelly (Kelly was nominated by Governor Tom Corbett on February 8, 2011 to succeed Corbett as Attorney General.) Of course, Kelly would have been most likely combing the Atty Gen files for stale cases that could still be pursued and would have positive political value for her career. Of course, this case would have stood out. On the other hand, I would think the Governor Corbett would have had to have given the green-light for pursuing this case before Kelly was allowed to do so, so there could be a larger political agenda at play.

Sorry, but in my experience, politicians don't give a damn about the public, but are always quick to exploit public situations that work to their advantage, whatever that may be at the time. So, something within the Pennsylvanian political power circles must have changed in the last couple of years to allow this case to suddenly move forward with such a high profile.

On Edit: Duh, I see that Republican Governor Tom Corbett took office on January 18, 2011, so that's what changed. He replaced previous Democrat Governor Ed Rendell, who served from January 21, 2003 – January 18, 2011 (which is probably when the investigation should have taken place). I wonder if Penn State and their alumni are big contributors to the state Democratic Party, as that could have been enough to bury this case while Rendell was in office.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
So, Joe Paterno is a Republican with ties to the Oval office. Hmmm.

Political interests

Paterno is a political conservative and a personal friend of former President George H.W. Bush, endorsing the then-candidate in a speech at the 1988 Republican National Convention.[49] Paterno was also a close personal friend of the late President Gerald R. Ford.[54] In 2004, his son Scott Paterno, an attorney, won the Republican primary for Pennsylvania's 17th congressional district but lost in the November general election to Democratic incumbent Tim Holden.[55]

"I brought my kids up to think for themselves since day one," Joe Paterno said in 2008. "I got a son who's a Republican, who ran for Congress, Scott. I'm a Republican. I've got a son, Jay, who's for Obama. I've got a daughter, who I'm pretty sure she's going to be for Hillary. So God bless America."

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Paterno" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Paterno</a>

superfan24

Starter
interference said:
interference said:

That's what I originally thought too that he could be charged with, but I guess not.
Btw I heard on Mike and Mike this morning about the prosecutor that dealt with the investigation in 2005, 'mysteriously' vanished after dealing with this case. The case is still open after the prosecutor's car was found on the side of the road. I'm not big on conspiracy theories, but this does not seem like a coincidence.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
And look at this, Penn State President, Graham Spanier, is a bigtime Democrat. Could the delay of this case simply be due to partisanship? I certainly wouldn't put it past these politicians.

I found this interesting excerpt in a larger story:

The Gore connection

Dredging somewhere close to conspiracy theory and/or reality is the thought that Spanier has taken on the role of RIAA lapdog to further his political ambitions.

During the robust Clinton years, 1997 to be exact, the White House issued a statement complimenting Spanier and others for their work at University Corporation for Advanced Internet Development (UCAID) in overseeing the Internet2 project. This paved the way for a very chummy relationship between Gore and Spanier. In fact, Spanier makes an appearance in the Gore's Joined at the Heart book.

"When we talked to Graham Spanier, the eminent family sociologist who now serves as president of Pennsylvania State University, he put it this way: 'One hundred to one hundred fifty years ago, families were the center of everything. But the most distinctive thing about the American family today is that it is based primarily on love. It is the locus of intimacy and emotional support.'"

Isn't that touching?

Looking over Spanier's bio, you might get the feeling that the academic has some serious political ambitions. He has served in the following posts: Board of Directors of the National Association of State Universities and Land-Grant Colleges, Deputy chair of the Worldwide Universities Network, chair of the NCAA Division I Board of Directors, chair of the Kellogg Commission on the Future of State and Land-Grant Universities, Board of Trustees of the National 4-H Council, founding member of the Board of Directors of the University Corporation for Advanced Internet Development (Internet2), president of the National Council on Family Relations, and chairman of the Board of Directors of the Christian Children's Fund.

This is a busy man.

As a friend of the Gores, Spanier is also a friend of the media industry. Over the past fourteen years, Democrats have received 69 percent of the whopping $150 million in contributions handed out by TV, Music and Movie companies. Have a look over here to see exactly which vendors are scratching the Dems' back. And here you can see the good people at the RIAA greasing up both sides.

And what better way to show your allegiance to the media moguls than to come out as the savior of the music industry at colleges - the model, if you will. Top that by inviting the pigopolist mob to dine right at the trough full of rich college kid cash.

The students at Penn State should start asking some serious questions about why they have been picked as the test case for the music industry's college song store. It certainly was not for the Mac users benefit, and it's questionable as to how much tethered downloads benefit students at all. There is, however, one fellow that looks to come out of the deal looking like the RIAA's most noble crusader, and we think you know who it is. ®

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/12/11/penn_state_president_loves_microsoft/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/12/11 ... microsoft/</a>

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
superfan24 said:
Btw I heard on Mike and Mike this morning about the prosecutor that dealt with the investigation in 2005, 'mysteriously' vanished after dealing with this case. The case is still open after the prosecutor's car was found on the side of the road. I'm not big on conspiracy theories, but this does not seem like a coincidence.
That tells me that there is more to this case than just Sandusky. Something bigger is being hidden if that story is accurate.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Softli......
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.101espn.com/category/tsoftli-blogs/20111109/A-Moral,-Not-Criminal-Issue/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.101espn.com/category/tsoftli ... nal-Issue/</a>

A Moral, Not Criminal Issue

State College, Pa., better known as Happy Valley, has quickly turned into a city of dismay, shock and disgust. The community, current students, college faculty, and alumni around the country, are in total disbelief, not to mention the coaches and players who are preparing to play Nebraska this week on Senior Day.

Penn State's former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky, who is accused of sexual misconduct and abuse of nine boys more than a decade ago, was arrested, released from jail on bail and is awaiting his trial which is expected to take place in early December.

The last 72-plus hours has sent a rippling effect across every college campus, the NCAA and is now the focal point of every media outlet. As victims continue to come forward, the resentment and wrath of anger is soaring sky high, with the question of how can this happen and why? A source close to the situation at Penn State told "Outside the Lines" reporter Steve Delsohn that "the support on the board of trustees for Joe (Paterno) is eroding."

In 2010, State College was ranked as the third-safest metropolitan area in the United States. Like other cities in America, sex predators lurk everywhere. There are no boundaries when it comes to nationality, gender or profession.

When I became the college director for the Carolina Panthers in 2000, I finally was able to travel to several colleges across the country that were on my professional bucket list, and Penn State was at the top of the list because of the tradition, history and coach Paterno.

In my last trip to Penn State about four years ago, Paterno, an iconic figure of college football, had taken a step back in his day-to-day duties, on-field coaching and was more of a motivator, walking from drill to drill, allowing his staff to coach. After all, he was in his early 80s. Many of the board of trustees members, alumni and boosters have suggested several times, and have made a big push, but fell short of the removal of JoePa.

This full-blown investigation is turning up some shocking and disturbing news of sexual misconduct by Sandusky both on and off campus and it is drawing the 85-year-old Paterno into the center of the investigation.

For coach Paterno, in my opinion, it is a moral issue, not criminal. As the facts come out and the due process of the court system begins, we will hear his side of what happened, what he was told and the in-depth knowledge he had of the situation.

It has been reported that Paterno was told of the situation involving Sandusky and a boy in the Penn State shower area, by a graduate assistant coach. After calling the athletics director, why didn't he confront Sandusky, and take the proper action like firing him on the spot and never allowing him back on campus and then informing the campus police of a crime on campus the moment he was told.

It is not Joe Paterno's job to be judge and jury, but to do what is humanly and morally right was, and he failed. There are now many unanswered questions. Where will this lead, and who will testify at court? The major question is whether JoePa will survive this cover-up, hold off another run at his job by the Board of Trustees, or will this be enough to remove the most powerful man in the state of Pennsylvania from his office?

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Just look who is on the Second Mile Honorary Board of Directors list. This is going to impact a lot of people.

Our Board of Directors: Honorary Board

John R. Cappelletti - Retired PSU & NFL Football Player, Heisman Trophy Winner

R. R. M. Carpenter, III - Former Owner, Philadelphia Phillies

James E. Ford - Retired Vice President, Kmart

William A. Gettig - President, Gettig Technologies, Inc.

Jack Ham - Retired NFL Player, Pittsburgh Steelers, Hall of Fame

Franco Harris - Retired NFL Player, Pittsburgh Steelers, Hall of Fame

Lou Holtz - Retired Football Coach, Sportscaster, and Motivational Speaker

Dr. Bryce Jordan - Retired, Penn State University President

Willi Maier - President, Omni Plastics, Inc.

Matt Millen - ESPN Football Analyst

Arnold D. Palmer - President, Arnold Palmer Enterprises

Joseph V. Paterno - Head Football Coach, Penn State University

Andy Reid - Head Football Coach, Philadelphia Eagles

Dr. John Reidell - General Surgeon, Past Second Mile Board President

Cal Ripken, Jr. - Former ML Baseball Shortstop, President & CEO of Ripken Baseball, Inc.

Dominic Toscani - Owner & President, Paris Business Forms

Richard Vermeil - Retired NFL Head Coach, (Kansas City Chiefs, St. Louis Rams, Philadelphia Eagles)

Mark Wahlberg - Actor, Rapper, and Film & TV Producer

Verne Willaman - Retired Chairman and President, Ortho Pharmaceutical Corp.

Quentin Wood - Retired Chairman and CEO, Quaker State Oil Refining Corp.

Richard A. Zimmerman - Retired Chairman of the Board, Hershey Foods

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.thesecondmile.org/ourTeam/bod/bodHono.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thesecondmile.org/ourTeam/bod/bodHono.php</a>

And here is an article saying that the organization knew about the allegation. I wonder if these board member were notified of this?

Second Mile knew of abuse allegations
Wednesday, November 09, 2011
By Jon Schmitz, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11313/1188544-298.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11313/1188544-298.stm</a>

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Authorities investigating sex abuse allegations against former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky are examining the role of other parties not yet charged in the case whose actions, or lack thereof, may have delayed intervention by law enforcement authorities.

That includes top officials at The Second Mile, the nonprofit organization that Mr. Sandusky founded and, authorities allege, used to make contact with the children he victimized.

So far, Mr. Sandusky has been charged with sexually assaulting eight boys who participated in The Second Mile, a program for troubled youth. Also facing charges are Penn State athletic director Tim Curley and vice president of business and finance Gary Schultz. Prosecutors say they failed to report a 2002 incident involving one of the children and later provided false information to a grand jury. Attorneys for all three have denied wrongdoing by their clients.

State Attorney General Linda Kelly on Monday said the investigation was continuing and that more charges were possible. An investigator in the case told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Tuesday that "a lot of entities besides Penn State University had a hand in this."

In a statement Monday, The Second Mile said it immediately ended Mr. Sandusky's contact with children in the program after he told them in 2008 he was under investigation for alleged sexual contact with a child, an allegation he told the organization was false.

That, however, was at least the third time in 10 years that the organization had been made aware of allegations involving Mr. Sandusky's contacts with children. The organization knew in 1998 that Mr. Sandusky was investigated for alleged sexual misconduct in a Penn State shower involving a different boy from the program, according to a presentment by a statewide investigating grand jury.

State College attorney Wendell V. Courtney was apprised of the investigation in 1998 because he was then counsel for Penn State and for The Second Mile. He has not responded to interview requests. That investigation, by university police, was closed when the Centre County district attorney's office decided not to file charges.

The Second Mile learned of another investigation involving Mr. Sandusky in 2002. In its statement, the agency said its chief executive officer, Jack Raykovitz, testified at the investigating grand jury that he had been told by Mr. Curley that an internal Penn State investigation had found no corroboration for an allegation of inappropriate contact by Mr. Sandusky with a youth in a university locker room shower.

According to the grand jury presentment, a Penn State graduate assistant saw Mr. Sandusky engaging in a sex act in the shower with a boy who appeared to be 10.

It wasn't until November 2008 that the program took steps to keep Mr. Sandusky away from children. Mr. Sandusky, who retired as Penn State's defensive coordinator in 1999, was still affiliated with The Second Mile until he retired from there in September 2010.

Mr. Raykovitz has not been available for comment beyond the prepared statement.

Also Tuesday, a published report raised questions about the initial response of officials at Central Mountain High School in Clinton County in 2008, when the mother of one of the accusers, a 15-year-old boy, confronted them with allegations against Mr. Sandusky. According to the grand jury, Mr. Sandusky, who was working as a volunteer coach at the school, abused the boy over a two- to three-year period before the boy revealed the abuse to his mother.

The report in The Patriot-News of Harrisburg quoted the mother as saying school officials "told me to go home and think about what I wanted to do, and I was not happy. They said I needed to think about how that would impact my son if I said something like that. I went home and got [my son] and we came to [Children and Youth Services] immediately," said the woman, who was not identified.

By law, CYS agencies must report such allegations to law enforcement authorities, and that is what triggered the investigation that led to allegations of other abuse by Mr. Sandusky.

According to the presentment, Mr. Sandusky "routinely had contact with [the accuser]" at the high school, "where the administration would call [the boy] out of activity period/study hall in the late afternoon to meet with Sandusky in a conference room. No one monitored these visits."

According to the presentment, after the boy's mother confronted them, school officials barred Mr. Sandusky from district facilities "and the matter was reported to authorities as mandated by law."

The school's assistant principal and athletic director, Steven Turchetta, declined to be interviewed by a reporter who visited the high school Tuesday.
Jon Schmitz: jschmitz@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1868.

Read more: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11313/1188544-298.stm#ixzz1dEvl9VWp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11313/11 ... z1dEvl9VWp</a>

And here we have a little insight from, the Post-Gazette's Gene Collierl, into the nepotism that inflicts most political offices, but in this case we're talking about Pennsylvania politics:

It's truly staggering that these professional academics -- including Paterno -- when faced with an allegation so serious and so sanctimoniously mishandled by the Catholic church almost simultaneously, somehow knew only the wrong thing to do.

Around the country, everyone wants to know: if Athletic Director Tim Curley and Vice President Gary Schultz are charged for failure to report a crime, why aren't Paterno and Spanier?

Welcome to Pennsylvania, and Tom Corbett's Office of Attorney General.

Paterno and Spanier aren't charged for the same reason Speaker Sam Smith wasn't charged in "Computergate." The same reason Bill DeWeese wasn't charged "Bonusgate." The same reason LeRoy S. Zimmerman wasn't charged in the Hershey Trust scandals. The list goes on.

The reason is that Tom Corbett's OAG simply doesn't charge the truly powerful and influential. (Until and unless he absolutely has to in order to protect his political career)

Joe Paterno, millionaire, friend of George H.W. Bush and father of Republican congressional candidate Scott Paterno - does anyone really think Corbett's OAG in a million years was going to charge that guy?

No, Corbett's OAG only charges public figures who are already unpopular, whose guilt the public already is predisposed to believe.

While the sports pundocracy sees heinous crimes in Paterno's and Spanier's failure to act upon their mere knowledge of a crime, no one seems bothered by Smith and DeWeese's actual participation in crimes. Smith signed the checks that paid for illegal software contracts, sat in on meetings about their use, was included on emails about the progress of the illegal scheme. DeWeese authorized the allocation of caucus funds to award bonuses, acknowledged that they were for political work, was implicated in the scandal by both his top aide, and his legislative assistant, and directed a state contractor to perform political work and on and on.

The case against Jerry Sandusky makes it clear that Paterno and Spanier knew about Sandusky's crimes and never reported them, and an outraged public demands to know why they're not arrested. The Computergate and Bonusgate cases reveal far more culpability from Smith and DeWeese, but no one even notices, much less cares.

And then we have the graduate assistant who didn't go to the police and gets a coaching job [in return]:

"When you find out a coach has been molesting boys in your facility, by a graduate assistant, who coincidentally become Wide receivers coach mike Mcqueary, and the university doesn't investigate, you GO TO THE POLICE. McQueary saw Sandusky sexually assaulting a 10yr old boy in locker room showers and didn't stop it, call 911 or anything. Nope. He went in the next day to Joe and then interestingly nothing happened except he got a fat salary and a full time coaching position...."

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2011/11/6/2542272/mike-mcqueary-penn-state-jerry-sandusky-joe-paterno" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2 ... oe-paterno</a>

Oh, and here's a story on Ray Frank Gricar, the district atty who was investigating the story in 2005 and disappeared and was never found.

pennlive.com
Former Centre County DA Ray Gricar's reasons for not pursuing case against Jerry Sandusky are unknown
Published: Sunday, November 06, 2011, 10:09 AM Updated: Monday, November 07, 2011, 2:51 PM
SARA GANIM, The Patriot-News By SARA GANIM, The Patriot-News
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/former_centre_county_da_ray_g.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index. ... ray_g.html</a>

Prosecutor Ray Gricar wasn’t one to be intimidated by high-profile cases.

He didn’t dabble in politics or enjoy limelight.

Former Centre County District Attorney Ray Gricar, who went missing in 2005 and declared dead in July, was an introverted man who affiliated himself with few and wasn’t easily swayed by others.

“He was a very kind of private but independent guy,” said Bob Buehner, the Montour County district attorney. “He didn’t belong to a lot of organizations. I would say he was fiercely independent.”

That’s actually been one major roadblock for investigators in his missing-persons case: It’s hard to get inside his head.

The state attorney general’s office says Gricar is the one who made the decision not to prosecute Jerry Sandusky in 1998, when two kids reported that Sandusky washed them during a shower.

Gricar was also the county’s top prosecutor when many of the other inappropriate acts were alleged to have happened. But before the allegations brought by a boy in Clinton County in 2009, the 23-page grand jury presentment says police were only ever notified once: in 1998.

According to those who were present during that investigation, Gricar seemed to be the one who made the decision not to prosecute.

We’ll probably never know why.

Gricar disappeared April 15, 2005, after taking a day off work to drive to Lewisburg. His disappearance has been the subject of a lot of speculation.

His laptop hard drive, which was found dumped in the Susquehanna River near where his car was parked in Lewisburg, was too badly damaged by water to be read.

What information on that computer was destroyed is left to conjecture.

A member of law enforcement who was in the room with Gricar when police presented him with the 1998 allegations against Sandusky said Gricar led the investigation.

He tried to get information by having officers hide in the home of one of the victims as the mother confronted Sandusky.

But that source said he isn’t sure how Gricar came to his final decision not to prosecute the case.

Jerry Lauro, the investigator for the state Department of Welfare is mentioned in the grand-jury presentment as having interviewed Sandusky, along with now-retired Penn State police Officer Ron Schreffler.

The presentment says Sandusky admitted to showering naked with the victim and admitted it was wrong.

“I had no decision-making authority or power in any of these cases,” Lauro said, when contacted Saturday. “They are left up to the district attorney to decide. In all of the hundreds of cases that I ran, I never let anyone influence me.”

Schreffler declined to comment.

Gricar pursued several controversial football player cases, the prosecutions of students involved in the 2001 downtown State College riot.

Steve Sloane, an assistant prosecutor in his office, handled most of those cases, and is known as one of Gricar’s closest work confidants.

“He wasn’t media savvy,” Sloane said. “He didn’t read local papers and follow local gossip. It wouldn’t have mattered if it was Joe Paterno or a 10-repeat felon. He would treat them the same way if they were legit suspected of committing crimes.”

But he wasn’t a rash prosecutor, either, Buehner said.

“I would say this about Ray: He would be extremely cautious in proceeding because he wanted to make sure that there would be a reasonable likelihood of conviction. You don’t want to go after someone high profile unless you have a compelling case.”

There’s no indication that Gricar was notified in 2002, when a graduate assistant reported to head coach Joe Paterno that he witnessed Sandusky and a young boy engaged in a sex act in the shower of the Lasch Building the day before Spring Break.

That’s the case in which the grand-jury panel found that Athletic Director Tim Curley and top executive Gary Schultz should have reported to police, but didn’t, according to the indictment from the state attorney general.

Under law, certain educational leaders are required to report possible sex abuse.

By then, however, the 1998 report that was labeled “unfounded” because Gricar decided not to press charges, and would have been expunged. State law requires Children and Youth Services to delete all notes after one year and four months.

First Assistant District Attorney Mark Smith, who is still with that office, took over Gricar’s position for eight months following the disappearance until an election was held. Smith said he doesn’t recall anything being brought to his attention about allegations against Sandusky.

The next district attorney to be elected in Centre County was Michael Madeira, and there’s no indication he knew about the older reports, either.

He is the prosecutor who referred the most recent case — in Clinton County — to the attorney general soon after it was reported early in 2009. Madeira gave the case up, citing a conflict of interest.

By the time his successor, current District Attorney Stacy Parks Miller, took office, the attorney general’s office had been working the case for an entire year and a grand jury already was hearing testimony.

© 2011 PennLive.com. All rights reserved.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
When we look back on this 10 or 15 years its gonna be one of the biggest, darkest, and disturbing scandals EVER, not just in college programs. I think some people are looking at it that way right now (myself included). The more information that comes out, the worse it gets. The worst part for this entire deal is there will be NO SOLUTION that makes everyone feel better. Penn State will have to clean house and eventually we'll all be talking about the new faces there and the new HC. Theres no good solution for the victims, except the fact that they should finally receive proper justice, but I think we will never get a good and honest answer on why it took so long. That is what should concern people the most. This could have stopped in 1999, this could have stopped in 2002, but here we are...in 2011. Just terrible.

superfan24

Starter
Well obviously not surprising, but they made the right move to fire him now imo.
Just feel bad for the players that are fighting for a Big Ten title.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
What Are The Rules For Reporting Child Abuse?

[flv]http://media.pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/CBSPIT_20111109194308437AA.mp4[/flv]

<a class="postlink" href="http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/video/6436978-what-are-the-rules-for-reporting-child-abuse/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/video/64 ... ild-abuse/</a>

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
superfan24 said:
Well obviously not surprising, but they made the right move to fire him now imo.

Agreed. I was following the events on Twitter this evening. It was surreal. The press conference, the students in the streets, etc. Its also suprising to see that the grad assistant (Mcqueary?) is still employed there. Hes the eyewitness that reported the sexual abuse to Paterno in 2002. Couldnt he have done more? Could have stepped in to stop it right away? IMO, the stuff that happened tonight is the type of event that 10 years down the road people will remember where they were at when this happened.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
JdashSTL said:
superfan24 said:

Agreed. I was following the events on Twitter this evening. It was surreal. The press conference, the students in the streets, etc. Its also suprising to see that the grad assistant (Mcqueary?) is still employed there. Hes the eyewitness that reported the sexual abuse to Paterno in 2002. Couldnt he have done more? Could have stepped in to stop it right away? IMO, the stuff that happened tonight is the type of event that 10 years down the road people will remember where they were at when this happened.
Exactly, I thought this video was so surreal when I saw it.

[flv]http://media.pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/CBSPIT_20111110004427897AA.mp4[/flv]

And, I think the following article has some valid points, Penn State acted AGAIN without considering the victims best interests.

Penn State board of trustees 'got it wrong,' says attorney advising Jerry Sandusky's alleged victims
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/penn_state_board_of_trustees_g.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index. ... ees_g.html</a>

A Harrisburg civil attorney who has been advising some of the alleged victims of former Penn State defensive coach Jerry Sandusky released a statement today about the board of trustees action last night firing coach Joe Paterno.

"The board of trustees got it wrong. They should have consulted the victims before making a decision on Mr. Paterno," Ben Andreozzi said. "They should have considered these victims watch TV and are aware of the students' reaction and may not want to be associated with the downfall of Mr. Paterno. The school instead elected to do what it felt was in its own best interest at the time. Isn’t that what put the school in this position in the first place?"

Andreozzi is working with Let Go Let Peace Come In, an organization providing services to child sex abuse victims, which is offering free counseling to the alleged victims.

"The way the Board reached its decision raises more concerns than the decision itself. There is no indication the Board considered the impact of the decision on the abuse victims," Andreozzi continued. "The school let the victims down once, and I think they owed it to the victims to at least gauge how the immediate termination decision would impact them as opposed to Mr. Paterno's resignation at the end of the year. These victims do not live in a bubble.

"They see the students reaction to the termination, and to think this does not weigh on their minds would be naive."

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Noooooooo!!!!

In April, Pittsburgh radio host Mark Madden wrote a story revealing Penn State for much of the cover-up of Jerry Sandusky's alleged child rape that has been exposed in the past week. While it didn't raise many eyebrows back then, six months later it looks to be incredibly accurate.

On Thursday morning, just hours after legendary head coach Joe Paterno and university president Graham Spanier were fired by the school's board of trustees, Madden was asked on The Dennis and Callahan Show what he believes the next piece of news will be.

What he said was twice as shocking as anything that's been released thus far.

"I can give you a rumor and I can give you something I think might happen," Madden told John Dennis and Gerry Callahan. "I hear there's a rumor that there will be a more shocking development from the Second Mile Foundation -- and hold on to your stomachs, boys, this is gross, I will use the only language I can -- that Jerry Sandusky and Second Mile were pimping out young boys to rich donors. That was being investigated by two prominent columnists even as I speak."

Link to Audio

<a class="postlink" href="http://audio.weei.com/a/48513214/mark-madden-talks-about-the-penn-state-scandal-and-drops-a-new-bomb-about-jerry-sandusky.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://audio.weei.com/a/48513214/mark-m ... ndusky.htm</a>

Story
<a class="postlink" href="http://leeinks.weei.com/sports/2011/11/10/transcript-of-mark-madden-on-dc-there-will-be-a-more-shocking-development-in-sandusky-scandal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://leeinks.weei.com/sports/2011/11/ ... ky-scandal</a>