Steven Jackson still wants to play, eventually retire a Ram/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jap

Legend
Ah, but is it Matt Forte's forte?

Stupidity aside, I disagree. He was a beast on the goal line. I 100% blame his crappy Oline for all the times he got stuffed for no gain. Maybe someone can do the research but I'm pretty sure like, 80% of his touchdowns came from inside the 5.

My answer was due to the fact that SJ never displayed instantaneous acceleration to the hole---it definitely was not all on his OL. He always seemed to require 4-5 running steps before he built up Battering Ram momentum. In his earliest years he also used to run way too tall with the rock---it was flat out embarrassing how even DB's could stack up SJ behind the line if scrimmage and take him down easily because of his tall running style. That running style severely compromised his balance.

It wasn't until 2006 when the Rams picked up former 'Skins RB, Stephen Davis, that SJ learned from Davis how to run at the proper pad level. He started running lower and with visibly better balance and he broke out with the best year of his career statistically.

On the GL or in short yardage situations, I want a RB who can just slam it up there in the hole with authority like Stephen Davis---not someone who needed 4-5 windup steps like SJ.

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Mason got a late start. Had he started whole 16 he's over 1000 easy

Jackson only had 11 more carries than Mason last season. Not trying to compare them at all, very different players and styles, and one is definitely on the upswing while the other is closing out his career, but they both played behind poor offensive lines with a degree of success.

I happen to believe SJ still has gas in the tank, but he does need a team with a solid OL for a change. He has always maintained excellent conditioning, and considering his mileage, doesn't appear anywhere near as run-down as others who have played to his age. Jackson was one of those rare guys who seemed to get better & stronger after 20 carries or so in a game, and although a hammer, never really had much in the way of blocking support, whether with the Rams or Atlanta. I'm hoping he can land a one year contract with a playoff caliber team, one with a truly good OL. He likely won't get the carries he once did, but I think he has another season in him, and a productive one at that if paired with the right team. I'd love to see Jerry Jones give him a shot. jmo.

Antonius

Pro Bowler
I don't want to go to a team that is rebuilding and needs me to come on and teach guys how to be professional, I've done that. I've been more than vocal about wanting to help young guys, but at some point I have to be a little selfish.

Something tells me he wouldn't consider playing in St. Louis again.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
His one playoff game was in Atlanta of all places. I was there, and it was painful. The falcons RAN the ball down our throats. Imagine that.

I distinctively remember marveling at how much bigger SJ was compared to Faulk during pregame warmups.

I've always hated the falcons. You younger guys may not remember them being in our Division. I freaking do... and it pained me to see SJ sign with those bums. I'm happy he's no longer a part of that franchise.

when I started following football the Falcons, Saints and 49ers were our divisional rivals - shame for SJax that he only reached the playoffs once, Surprised the Pats don't sign him :p

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I loved SJ's heart and for that respect the heck out of the man. The way he ran over Patrick Willis and fought for extra yards won't be forgotten.

But he is not a good short yardage back or goal line back. I would sign him for a day and retire him.
+1!!