Steven Jackson still wants to play, eventually retire a Ram/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Steven Jackson still wants to play, eventually retire a Ram
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...n-still-wants-to-play-eventually-retire-a-ram

ST. LOUIS -- As the NFL's leading active rusher, Steven Jackson has been able to check off a long list of individual accomplishments throughout his 11-year career.

But it's a lack of team success -- Jackson has been to the postseason just once -- that has the free-agent running back looking for an opportunity to keep playing.

"That's the thing," Jackson told ESPN.com. "I have all the things I've accomplished personally, but I've still never been on a team that won more than eight games. That would be definitely one of the things that I'm looking for is that opportunity in my next chapter."

Jackson, 31, spent his first nine seasons toiling as the lone star on a St. Louis Rams offense that almost exclusively leaned on him for production after the departure of star receivers Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt.

Along the way, Jackson endured a lot of losing but still managed to become the leading rusher in franchise history (10,135 yards), surpassing the likes of Marshall Faulk and Eric Dickerson. His eight consecutive 1,000-yard seasons made him one of six backs in NFL history to hit that milestone.

When Jackson had the opportunity to test free agency in 2013, he and the Rams mutually agreed to part ways, with St. Louis wanting to get younger at the position and Jackson looking for a chance to win.

Jackson signed a three-year, $12 million deal with the Atlanta Falcons, a team coming off a narrow loss in the NFC Championship Game. Many thought Atlanta was just a stable running game away from taking the next step to the Super Bowl.

That thought proved untrue, as the Falcons slipped to a combined 10-22 in Jackson's two seasons. The team released him in February.

Despite that not working out, Jackson still wants to play -- but only if the situation is right.

"I don't want to go to a team that is rebuilding and needs me to come on and teach guys how to be professional," Jackson said. "I've done that. I've been more than vocal about wanting to help young guys, but at some point I have to be a little selfish. I want to be part of a winning team because when I do hang up my cleats, I can see a lot of people holding that over my head when a lot of it was out of my control."

In the meantime, Jackson has taken up the case for preserving the workhorse running back. In a series of humorous videos on a website he created called savetherunningback.org, Jackson pleads the case for the every-down back, a position he believes has been wrongly devalued around the league.

Off the top of his head, Jackson says there are only about seven or eight true bell-cow running backs still in the league, and though the videos have a comedic tone, he strongly believes in the message behind them.

"I think people are trying to drown out my seriousness and this movement because they know I'm on to something," Jackson said. "A lot of people don't want to report the things I'm talking about because they don't want to piss off general managers and owners, to be quite frank. So I felt as the active leading rusher in the NFL, it was on me to carry the torch and talk about how the position is being devalued.

"I've talked to Hall of Famers like Eric Dickerson. I've talked to guys as young as Melvin Gordon. We're talking about two or three generations between each other, and we all feel the same way. So I know what I'm trying to do and the attention I'm trying to bring to it is meaningful."

Jackson was encouraged by seeing Gordon and running back Todd Gurley land in the top 15 of this year's draft, but he hasn't had much success finding his own landing spot yet.

For his part, Jackson is in no rush to get a new deal and is fully aware that it might not happen. If it doesn't, he still hopes to return to the city that gave him a chance and end his career where it began.

"I definitely want to retire as a Ram," Jackson said. "It's definitely something I want and that would be to go back. ... I'll never forget standing in that meeting room and watching Isaac Bruce retire. When I saw that up close and personal, I said I want that for myself whenever I retire."

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Never won more than 8 games in a season? That's a crime for a player of his calibre.

And to want to retire as a Ram despite the Rams being responsible for his lack of success says a lot about this this guy. Love him.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Can we please sign him again to be our short yard and goal line back? I miss that dude. Such a beast. It really is a shame he's ne er been apart of a winning team.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
Steven Jackson is like Wilt Chamberlain. Steven Jackson was surrounded by a poor supporting cast. Don't you feel... Steven Jackson is worthy of the Hall of Fame!

Yes! Retire Steven Jackson as a Ram. It's not Jackson's fault Steven Battering Ramed and ran like an a charging rhinoceros during the "Passing Era"!

1 Emmitt Smith 18,355
2 Walter Payton 16,726
3 Barry Sanders 15,269
4 Curtis Martin 14,101
5 LaDainian Tomlinson 13,684
6 Jerome Bettis 13,662
7 Eric Dickerson 13,259
8 Tony Dorsett 12,739
9 Jim Brown 12,312
10 Marshall Faulk 12,279
11 Edgerrin James 12,246
12 Marcus Allen 12,243
13 Franco Harris 12,120
14 Thurman Thomas 12,074
15 Fred Taylor 11,695
16 STEVEN JACKSON 11,388
17 John Riggins 11,352
18 Corey Dillon 11,241
19 O.J. Simpson 11,236

Steven Jackson is in a rarefied fraternity. Steven passed the Hall of Fame pledge class rigorous gauntlet with flying colors. Steven Jackson is a Hall of Fame running back!:cool:

Last edited:

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
there are plenty of pass happy yet mediocre RB duo teams that are always in the playoff hunt. what the fucks their problem! somebody sign him. I wonder if he would sign with the Rams year if somehow they were to ask.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Do it.
I'm honored as a Ram fan, that he played with heart and determination for us through all those bad years.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Steven Jackson was like Wilt Chamberlain. Steven was surrounded by a poor supporting cast. I feel Steven Jackson is worthy of the Hall of Fame!

Yes! Retire Steven Jackson as a Ram. It's not Jackson's fault Steven Battering Ramed and ran like an a charging rhinoceros during the "Passing Era"!

1 Emmitt Smith 18,355
2 Walter Payton 16,726
3 Barry Sanders 15,269
4 Curtis Martin 14,101
6 Jerome Bettis 13,662
7 Eric Dickerson 13,259
8 Tony Dorsett 12,739
9 Jim Brown 12,312
10 Marshall Faulk 12,279
11 Edgerrin James 12,246
12 Marcus Allen 12,243
13 Franco Harris 12,120
14 Thurman Thomas 12,074
15 Fred Taylor 11,695
16 STEVEN JACKSON 11,388
17 John Riggins 11,352
18 Corey Dillon 11,241
19 O.J. Simpson 11,236

Steven Jackson is in a rarefied fraternity. Steven passed the HOF pledge class gauntlet with flying colors. Steven Jackson is a Hall of Fame running back!:cool:
In addition.
I believe he had 6 consectutive 1000 yd seasons. Not an easy feat for any RB.

Rams Until I Die

Pro Bowler
Name
John
I'd resign him in a heartbeat. He was the best part of our team for so long. I think it would be a cool story if he came back and with us being so close to being a playoff team he was apart of the final push to get us there. Gives Gurley time to heal and who better to watch and learn from.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Sure give him a one day contract and let him retire a Ram. I think he deserves it for being a great team player all those years.

As far as bringing him back as an active player on the roster. I don't think there is a spot on the team for that. I don't see him capable of beating out the current top 3 backs the Rams already have.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Sure give him a one day contract and let him retire a Ram. I think he deserves it for being a great team player all those years.

As far as bringing him back as an active player on the roster. I don't think there is a spot on the team for that. I don't see him capable of beating out the current top 3 backs the Rams already have.
You don't think he's better then Cunningham?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
In addition.
I believe he had 6 consectutive 1000 yd seasons. Not an easy feat for any RB.

Eight consecutive seasons. The guy is my favorite Ram for a reason.

As for being better at this stage than our top three running backs, I don't think he is. Yes, even Cunningham. I like our current group. Three to share the load, one to play special teams. If we kept five running backs, it would probably be two for special teams.

MrMotes

Starter
The NFL is not a friendly place for aging RB's. I'd love to see SJ retire a Ram.

But as a short yardage back? Besides getting tackled for a loss a lot, it's not as if he'd also be playing on special teams like the younger guys do...

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
His one playoff game was in Atlanta of all places. I was there, and it was painful. The falcons RAN the ball down our throats. Imagine that.

I distinctively remember marveling at how much bigger SJ was compared to Faulk during pregame warmups.

I've always hated the falcons. You younger guys may not remember them being in our Division. I fucking do... and it pained me to see SJ sign with those bums. I'm happy he's no longer a part of that franchise.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
His one playoff game was in Atlanta of all places. I was there, and it was painful. The falcons RAN the ball down our throats. Imagine that.

I distinctively remember marveling at how much bigger SJ was compared to Faulk during pregame warmups.

I've always hated the falcons. You younger guys may not remember them being in our Division. I freaking do... and it pained me to see SJ sign with those bums. I'm happy he's no longer a part of that franchise.

Yeah,the good old days when the Rams, Atlanta and New Orleans all played in the NFC "West"

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Steven Jackson is like Wilt Chamberlain. Steven Jackson was surrounded by a poor supporting cast. Don't you feel... Steven Jackson is worthy of the Hall of Fame!

1 Emmitt Smith 18,355
2 Walter Payton 16,726
3 Barry Sanders 15,269
4 Curtis Martin 14,101
6 Jerome Bettis 13,662
7 Eric Dickerson 13,259
8 Tony Dorsett 12,739
9 Jim Brown 12,312
10 Marshall Faulk 12,279
11 Edgerrin James 12,246
12 Marcus Allen 12,243
13 Franco Harris 12,120
14 Thurman Thomas 12,074
15 Fred Taylor 11,695
16 STEVEN JACKSON 11,388
17 John Riggins 11,352
18 Corey Dillon 11,241
19 O.J. Simpson 11,236

Steven Jackson is in a rarefied fraternity. Steven passed the Hall of Fame pledge class rigorous gauntlet with flying colors. Steven Jackson is a Hall of Fame running back!:cool:
What's crazy is he only needs 3 years of around 8oo yards to be 5th all time!

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick

Make it 2 career playoff games. We beat Seattle in the WCG to sweep all 3 games in the 2004 season. Then ATL was the Divisional round

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Look at this way if the Rams can PUP'd Gurley & get him 100 % plus healed Old man Jackson might have am early season role here!

Somehow this event flashed through my small mind...
Super Bowl XXV who was the MVP of that game?

In 1989, Anderson 34 yr old become the top running back for Bill Parcells' ball control offense and was named NFL Comeback Player of the Year. He scored a career high 14 rushing touchdowns, and rushed for 1,023 yards on 325 carries. He was also the top running back for the Giants the following year, when they won Super Bowl XXV, and was named Super Bowl MVP for his 102 yards and a touchdown on 21 carries. As a testament to the Giants' ball control strategy, their time of possession was double that of the Buffalo Bills, their opponents, in the first Super Bowl without a turnover. Anderson is one of only four running backs in NFL history to score rushing touchdowns in two Super Bowls and win Super Bowl MVP.

Could something close to this be possible?