Stedman Bailey

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If the Doctors can clear him, the right thing for the Rams to do is bring him in for the offseason and if Bailey is one of the 6 best WRs when we cut down to 53, he should be on the team.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Never said otherwise, my question was and always has been does anybody think an NFL/team doctor will clear somebody with his medical background to play in the NFL? Everybody has to pass a physical and his background is well known. With the focus on CTE I'm genuinely curious if anybody thinks he ever gets cleared to play.

I dunno. I don't think he had a concussion history before and just because he had one massive concussion doesn't necessarily mean he's more at risk for CTE than an OL who has 900 subconcussive impacts in a season (that's for starters and may or may not include playoffs, but does include practice, training camp and preseason).

He can be scanned and a case can be made if he's shown to be in good neural health with no lingering brain trauma that he should be good to go.

Robert Quinn is playing with a benign tumor that honestly, one wrong hit and he could be dead. Literally. And as a DL, he's in the soup way more than a receiver.

Could he be cleared? Chances are slim and if he showed any outward sign of lingering effects, I'd be a hard no.

If he can put up a sub 4.5 40 and keep regaining his strength and his scan is clean of defects (lesions or scarring), then I'd say he should be good to go.

What's funny is that the league and many teams continue to screw up the CTE protocols (there was a player who clearly had a concussion this past Sunday and played several minutes before being entered into the protocol. I think it was a TE who subsequently dropped an easy pass, but I can't remember who), but because they don't understand or even want to know about concussion beyond "getting cleared by...someone", there's not enough understanding to KNOW what is safe.

I'm more concerned with someone who's had repeated concussion or spinal injuries than I am with Bailey.

I just don't know if he's as fast as he used to be. His hand/eye coordination seems to be right there and his strength is coming back fast. If he gets his speed back... yeah, I'd fight for him to come back...with a clear conscience.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
If the Doctors can clear him, the right thing for the Rams to do is bring him in for the offseason and if Bailey is one of the 6 best WRs when we cut down to 53, he should be on the team.

The issue is going to be that there's no protocol for that and no one's going to want to have to be responsible if anything happens to him.

Doesn't matter that the same hit that could lay out Bailey would essentially do the same damage to every other player at the position.

By not letting Bailey play if his scan is clean (and by scan, I mean full CT with contrast, MRI and EEG and maybe a PET scan for good measure), what the NFL is saying is that the game is simply too dangerous for anyone to play since they don't know and can't quantify causality between severity of concussion and causation of CTE.

I'd still wager they "opt on the side of caution" which is another way of saying "we don't want to be responsible for THIS guy even though we're technically responsible for all the other guys, but won't take responsibility for them..."

/shrug.

I agree that if he's capable of earning a spot, he should be given a chance to do it... again, presuming he's got clean scans and passes his neuro-psych eval.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Never said otherwise, my question was and always has been does anybody think an NFL/team doctor will clear somebody with his medical background to play in the NFL? Everybody has to pass a physical and his background is well known. With the focus on CTE I'm genuinely curious if anybody thinks he ever gets cleared to play.

There is a player from UCF (Rory Coleman) who had been injured by a direct grenade blast while serving as a medic in Afghanistan. His legs were broken (including his right femur) and full of shrapnel, debris had shredded his intestinal tract, his right hand was broken, and his right arm had severe burns. Worst of all, a piece of shrapnel punctured his head causing internal brain bleeding so bad that they had to drill holes in his skull to relieve the pressure.

It has been several years since the incident but he is medically cleared to play. The human body is a resilient vessel. Single trauma events should not be what keeps players out of football. It’s the repeated brain injuries that are compounded over shorter spans that are the risk.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'd be looking at this recovery as a second chance, not in playing football, but at life. I'm so impressed that the guy still has the dedication and commitment to want to be a player, however, surely due to the injuries he's sustained in that shooting, the added risk of a head injury must have increased??

I'd refocus and head into coaching / training if possible - I think the guy has the temperament for it - he'd be a great role model for young players or guys coming off injury getting back into the game. I know you want to play Steadman, but it's time to think of the bigger picture.

I wouldn't like to be the team doctor that OK's him to play.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
The doctors also told him he wouldn't be able to walk when he was. Not saying we should take a doctors advice with a grain of salt, but there are quite a few people out there that have proven doctors wrong before and continued doing what they love. Like jrry said, its his life.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Honest question but do you really think a guy who's taken bullets to the head and had brain surgery will get cleared to play in this day and age of CTE? And even if he is cleared do you want him to roll the dice with his life?
I would have thought the same thing however after the Russell Wilson mockery of the "concussion protocol", it is pretty obvious that its all really just window dressing. If a team thinks he can help them, they'll skirt the CTE issue, even he is risking his life. If they dont think he has the skills, they'll use that as their excuse.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's his choice to make. It's his life.

Yes, but it's the NFL's business too. And if he ended up with another brain injury - even if it was actually unrelated to the bullet wounds - they would have a massive amount of negative publicity. While refusing him would be good publicity against CTE recklessness. And they need all the good publicity they can get.

If he were a star, that might be one thing. He was an up and coming backup receiver after 2 1/2 seasons, with a history of steroids and by next season as much time off from the NFL as he had playing on a roster.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I wish him the best, he's a fan fave and I lilke him too.

But is the risk worth it? I don't know.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Bailey's success and remarkable comeback stems from his desire to play football again. Let him have his shot, and then everything else will fall into place - like him becoming a coach or trainer etc, but he needs to finish what he started

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Yes, but it's the NFL's business too. And if he ended up with another brain injury - even if it was actually unrelated to the bullet wounds - they would have a massive amount of negative publicity. While refusing him would be good publicity against CTE recklessness. And they need all the good publicity they can get.

If he were a star, that might be one thing. He was an up and coming backup receiver after 2 1/2 seasons, with a history of steroids and by next season as much time off from the NFL as he had playing on a roster.
PEDS don't necessarily mean steroids, and i doubt that would have any influence on whether a team picks him up or not. Considering more than halfthe league is more than likely on some kind of PED.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
IDK....doubt he'll be cleared....not enough is known....and getting shot in the head...twice...is like having major concussive events....so is surgery....bleeding on the brain...in any amounts...is what a concussion is....

one thing the nfl needs to do...is look out for its own....not only would allowing him to play be foolish...not protecting Sted from himself seems criminal....

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Steddy is a cool dude. I sent him a message on snapchat and he actually took the time to reply to me. Really hoping this guy gets another shot at fulfilling his dream, even if it isn't with the Rams.

I've had the same from him on snapchat. He's a pretty cool dude.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
IDK....doubt he'll be cleared....not enough is known....and getting shot in the head...twice...is like having major concussive events....so is surgery....bleeding on the brain...in any amounts...is what a concussion is....

one thing the nfl needs to do...is look out for its own....not only would allowing him to play be foolish...not protecting Sted from himself seems criminal....

True enough. That said, if he scans clean (and scans can detect both various kinds of damage and concussion), then I'd be okay if everything else checks out including him regaining the professional level skill.

As posted in this thread, there was an Afghanistan Vet with shrapnel in his brain (removed) that was eventually cleared to play.

I think it depends on the science of the known. If we go by the unknown, then the NFL as it currently is played isn't safe for ANYONE.

Can't really have the debate both ways, is all I'm saying.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think it depends on the science of the known. If we go by the unknown, then the NFL as it currently is played isn't safe for ANYONE.

It's not.....to me....NFL players...College players....High School players....assume the risk when they put on the pads....Guys that have underlying conditions, like traumatic brain injuries, are assuming a greater risk....and should be made to sign off....acknowledge...that they indeed accept those risks, and any consequences that may follow.

I wonder why Sted doesn't wanna be a coach? I get it....Playing burns deep in some....but if he has kids...he needs to think about what the hell he's trying to do.

WvuIN02

Starter
Following your dreams regardless of the odds seems like a pretty lesson to teach your kids

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
It's not.....to me....NFL players...College players....High School players....assume the risk when they put on the pads....Guys that have underlying conditions, like traumatic brain injuries, are assuming a greater risk....and should be made to sign off....acknowledge...that they indeed accept those risks, and any consequences that may follow.

I wonder why Sted doesn't wanna be a coach? I get it....Playing burns deep in some....but if he has kids...he needs to think about what the hell he's trying to do.

When I was in boot, one guy in particular was going BUDS, the first step in becoming a SEAL.

With or without a TBI, there are choices people make that are FAR more dangerous than playing football.

I understand and agree with your sentiment. He should be very careful and deliberate in his decision making process.

I just think in the rare event that everything lines up, he should get the chance.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
When I was in boot, one guy in particular was going BUDS, the first step in becoming a SEAL.

With or without a TBI, there are choices people make that are FAR more dangerous than playing football.
Agreed.....On a similar note....my buddies and I get a kick outta watching the Seal team 6 show...on....NATGeo...or is it the history channel? Anyway....30% pass rate.....just wow....missed my calling....I'ma brotha that can really swim...would love to go on missions....and thinks finishing as a consultant or something in the middle east as a contractor woulda set me just fine....ahhh welll.... que sera sera