Stedman Bailey

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
It’s great to see him getting back at it. Someone needs to give him a shot because he clearly has the dedication.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's almost zero chance any team clears him to play football ever again.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
Steddy is a cool dude. I sent him a message on snapchat and he actually took the time to reply to me. Really hoping this guy gets another shot at fulfilling his dream, even if it isn't with the Rams.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Steddy is a cool dude. I sent him a message on snapchat and he actually took the time to reply to me. Really hoping this guy gets another shot at fulfilling his dream, even if it isn't with the Rams.
Honest question but do you really think a guy who's taken bullets to the head and had brain surgery will get cleared to play in this day and age of CTE? And even if he is cleared do you want him to roll the dice with his life?

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
Honest question but do you really think a guy who's taken bullets to the head and had brain surgery will get cleared to play in this day and age of CTE? And even if he is cleared do you want him to roll the dice with his life?

I have to assume there are medical professionals that have given him at least some hope or he wouldn't be out there training with a goal of returning to football.

I'm not a doctor, so I'll leave that for them to decide, but yes if that is his dream who are you or me to tell him otherwise.

I know your post/concerns are of good intention, hopefully you can see mine are too.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not a doctor, so I'll leave that to them to decide, but yes if that is his dream who are you or me to tell him otherwise.
I'm not telling him anything at all sorry if you got that impression. It just strikes me as I don't know funny maybe? There is such awareness on CTE and the league and teams take so much heat from fans and media about supposedly not caring about the players. And here we have a player who's had bullets penetrate his skull and had surgery on his brain that is thinking it will happen that he goes back out in a helmet and gets hit in the head again.

Honestly to me it sounds foolish and a risk not worth taking. If he were to ask my opinion which I don't expect I would tell him I don't think it's worth the risk. But if people don't care for the potential risks to a guy then sure cheer him on. Me I can't get the image of him on the ground not moving after taking a shoulder to the head.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

Robert Quinn has been playing with a benign brain tumor, so anything's possible.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
Honestly to me it sounds foolish and a risk not worth taking. If he were to ask my opinion which I don't expect I would tell him I don't think it's worth the risk. But if people don't care for the potential risks to a guy then sure cheer him on

Sounds really bad but again I know for sure that he is receiving real medical advice from some of the best the medical field has to offer. I'm not saying that he should throw caution to the wind.

I don't know the intricacies of his current health or injuries or how they've affected his brain going forward. No clue. I just see a guy working his ass off, chasing his dream and trying to show support for what he thinks is best for himself.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Robert Quinn has been playing with a benign brain tumor, so anything's possible.
Quinn's tumor is actually at the top of the spinal cavity. The difference with Stedman is vast, Stedman actually had brain trauma and had his skull cut into and operated on. Quinn's while no less dangerous was to the spine. I'm not diminishing Quinn's illness and TBH I don't care if Stedman plays and hope he fulfills his dreams. But I just can't conceive of any way a team or a teams doctor will sign off on somebody with Stedman's injury past being cleared to play with the focus on CTE that's happening now.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I hope that we bring back Stedman, even if it's in a coaching role.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
He's gonna have to be really agile... and lucky... to avoid any blows to the head in the NFL.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angele...t-giving-up-his-dream-of-returning-to-the-nfl

Alden Gonzalez/ESPN Staff Writer/Jul 31, 2017

i

Alden Gonzalez/ESPN.com

Despite his talent and resolve, Bailey is at the mercy of neurologists who fear that football will make him more susceptible to brain trauma. Bailey will have surgery again in two weeks -- his first since right after the incident -- and hopes to be cleared soon thereafter.

It's an out-patient procedure, Bailey says, one he should fully recover from in a couple of days, making it far less grueling than the operation that saved his life. Bailey struggles with the details, but says doctors will remove some of the metal plates from his head and install a protective layer around his skull.

View: https://twitter.com/RockStar_Rams/status/936056118622568448

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

That's his choice to make. It's his life.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

View: https://twitter.com/iamSB3/status/935987611981692929

His form is still there. STRONG hands. As much as I liked Tavon initially, it became clear to me early on that Bailey was the better receiver and even better "weapon".

As for CTE and risk.

NO ONE has been more critical of the NFL and its response than me.

And as someone with brain trauma, I speak from experience.

I would TOTALLY support him if he decided to return to the NFL. Trust me, he's had enough scans that any more and he'll glow in the dark.

Moreover, I know you can't live your life in fear. Doesn't mean one must just run out into traffic, but if he's willing to endure the risks to provide for his family, then he should be given a shot.

Would I wanna fight the Safety or CB who hit him as a defenseless receiver? Oh, no doubt, but I'm almost at that point with any receiver.

Moreover, it'll be moot if he plays with fear which would put him at more risk.

Do I think he'll get another chance? No, for the reasons mentioned. No team will want to deal with the risk. That said, I'd rather let him take that risk if medically cleared (there's no precedent, so it would take more than a room full of neurologists who don't think anyone should play in the NFL).

What's odd is that a bullet hit his skull and shattered bone (I don't think the bullet penetrated the brain, it was the skull damage and concussion that concerned doctors) rather than it being a massive hit in game. It wouldn't surprise me if guys have had similar concussions and were back playing a few weeks later.

The issue here is his response to the next hit.

Well, firstly, his language reacquisition is REMARKABLE. I almost think he's speaking more clearly now (probably as a result of the occupational therapy, but who knows?). His vocabulary is broad and he doesn't have the verbal miscues associated with lasting brain damage like saying "uh" a lot or stuttering.

Secondly, his muscles are firing seemingly as fast as before or pretty close to it.

I'd really like to see him post some 40 times before a workout.

And honestly, as much as we care for him, every single player in the NFL is one play away from glory or catastrophe. If Stedman Bailey fights his way all the way back to being at that elite level to compete for a roster spot on an NFL team (preferably the Rams!!!), then I could not in good conscience deny him that chance.

I hope he does get a chance.

I tweeted him just now. Twitter's being a deuce, so I can't post it, but if I find it I'll post it.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's his choice to make. It's his life.
Never said otherwise, my question was and always has been does anybody think an NFL/team doctor will clear somebody with his medical background to play in the NFL? Everybody has to pass a physical and his background is well known. With the focus on CTE I'm genuinely curious if anybody thinks he ever gets cleared to play.