Spagnuolo: Patriots Are Cheaters

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Former Eagles coach Steve Spagnuolo: Patriots cheated during 2005 Super Bowl

Are the Patriots cheaters? At least one former Eagles coach thinks so.

Steve Spagnuolo, who was the linebackers coach for the Eagles in 2005 when the team faced off against the Patriots in Super Bowl XXXIX, told 97.5 The Fanatic’s Anthony Gargano and Bob Cooney on Monday that he now believes late Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson was right about New England cheating during the game.

“The biggest thing we learned was make sure you have two signal callers, not one signal caller, because they may have all your signals,” Spagnuolo said, referring to the “SpyGate” scandal, in which coaching assistants under the direction of head coach Bill Belichick were caught videotaping play-calling signals from opponents’ practices.

“I remember through the course of the game Jim [Johnson] saying, ‘They’re getting our signals. They know when we’re blitzing … try to hide it.’ I remember distinctly thinking. ‘I don’t think so Jim, just concentrate on calling the game,’ ” Spagnuolo recalled. “In hindsight, he was right. When you go back and look at that tape, it was evident to us. … We believe that Tom [Brady] knew when we were pressuring him because he certainly got the ball out pretty quick.”

Spagnuolo, who became the Giants’ defensive coordinator following the 2007 season, said he used the experience to prepare him ahead of New York’s Super Bowl XLII victory against the Patriots.

“It wasn’t going to happen in the 2008 Super Bowl,” Spagnuolo said.

[www.philly.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Spags gets cred here because as DC, he beat them twice.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Spags gets cred here because as DC, he beat them twice.

That's iffy.

The Tyree catch is what beat them one year. And Brady was essentially a statue because of the foot injury so they just kept sending a blitz to force him to throw it or take a sack.

That front 4 the Giants had for a short time was amazing. It was like they had 4 HOF players.

TexasRam

Legend
Facebook-Credit-Jimmy-Twopointo-02503b.png

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Newsflash.

Someday this amazing Patriots' run will be viewed similarly to Sammy Sosa's and other baseball players' careers during the era of the juice. Or so I hope.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ill-bitter-about-the-patriots-16-years-later/

Orlando Pace still bitter about the Patriots, 16 years later
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 30, 2018

586849616-e1517326207872.jpg

Getty Images

It’s been 16 years since the Patriots’ dynasty began with an upset win over the Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI. It’s been 10 years since the Boston Herald reported that the Patriots taped the Rams’ walk-through practice the day before that Super Bowl. And it’s been nine and a half years since the Boston Herald apologized for that report and said it was false.

But through all that passage of time, many Rams players have remained angry at the Patriots. The latest is Hall of Fame left tackle Orlando Pace, who said this morning on PFT Live that he still doesn’t like the Patriots and still wonders if their superb game plan was aided by cheating.

“There’s a little bit of suspicion there. I think guys all feel that way,” Pace said. “They had a pretty solid game plan for us, so I don’t know. . . . They knew exactly what we were going to do down there.”

All these years later, no evidence has emerged that the Patriots actually did film the Rams’ walk-through. So why do so many Rams players think it happened? Pace hinted that the reason may just be it’s hard for them to accept, as such a talented team, that they never won another Super Bowl after bursting onto the scene as the Greatest Show on Turf in 1999.

“You look at all those Hall of Famers and you just saw missed opportunities, and that was one of them because we should have had multiple championships,” Pace said.

Heading into that Super Bowl, no one would have thought that the Rams were already done winning Super Bowls, while the Patriots were just beginning the greatest dynasty in NFL history.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I really hate to say this, but stuck here in Philly, being inundated with obnoxious Eagle fans.... I hope the Pats cheat like hell this weekend and pull out the win. Then they kind of get caught which ruins their title, but it keeps the Eagle fans without a SB win....that would be great, just to see them all piss'ed off about it... That's my perfect SB Sunday.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
I really hate to say this, but stuck here in Philly, being inundated with obnoxious Eagle fans.... I hope the Pats cheat like hell this weekend and pull out the win. Then they kind of get caught which ruins their title, but it keeps the Eagle fans without a SB win....that would be great, just to see them all tick'ed off about it... That's my perfect SB Sunday.
Are you packed and have an escape plan for when they lose and the state of pennsylvania calls for a state of emergency?

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Are you packed and have an escape plan for when they lose and the state of pennsylvania calls for a state of emergency?

Not yet, I live about 25 miles outside city limits so not too bad. I was working right in Center City up until last year so thank God that's not the case now...so it could be worse. If they win, they will tear the city apart...that would be something to see...but I am not in the mood to see that right now.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The story this week is that Eagle fans are not being treated well in Minnesota this week due to teh Viking fans not happy how their fans, that traveled to Philly last week, were treated.

This was mild for Eagle fans... but man what an embarrassment. I can't believe these people will have me actually rooting for the Pats.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl22Hh7z7og

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's iffy.

No it is not, he's the only DC to defeat Bill Belichick & Tom Brady in the Super Bowl and he did it twice! No ifs ands or buts about it! With all due respect Les.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Without Ernie Adams and his photographic memory in the booth from day one, the patsies dynasty doesn't happen. Its much much easier when you know where the pressure will be coming from on every play before beforethe snap. Not against the rules but an obvious unfair advantage.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Isn't that what great QBs do? Recognize the blitz and adjust.
I mean, Brady makes his hay by using motion to figure out what the defense is going to do and exploiting it. He does it now just as well as he ever did - if not better - so... yeah?

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ill-bitter-about-the-patriots-16-years-later/

Orlando Pace still bitter about the Patriots, 16 years later
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 30, 2018

586849616-e1517326207872.jpg

Getty Images

It’s been 16 years since the Patriots’ dynasty began with an upset win over the Rams in Super Bowl XXXVI. It’s been 10 years since the Boston Herald reported that the Patriots taped the Rams’ walk-through practice the day before that Super Bowl. And it’s been nine and a half years since the Boston Herald apologized for that report and said it was false.

But through all that passage of time, many Rams players have remained angry at the Patriots. The latest is Hall of Fame left tackle Orlando Pace, who said this morning on PFT Live that he still doesn’t like the Patriots and still wonders if their superb game plan was aided by cheating.

“There’s a little bit of suspicion there. I think guys all feel that way,” Pace said. “They had a pretty solid game plan for us, so I don’t know. . . . They knew exactly what we were going to do down there.”

All these years later, no evidence has emerged that the Patriots actually did film the Rams’ walk-through. So why do so many Rams players think it happened? Pace hinted that the reason may just be it’s hard for them to accept, as such a talented team, that they never won another Super Bowl after bursting onto the scene as the Greatest Show on Turf in 1999.

“You look at all those Hall of Famers and you just saw missed opportunities, and that was one of them because we should have had multiple championships,” Pace said.

Heading into that Super Bowl, no one would have thought that the Rams were already done winning Super Bowls, while the Patriots were just beginning the greatest dynasty in NFL history.

No evidence emerged???
GoodHELL destroyed it.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I mean, Brady makes his hay by using motion to figure out what the defense is going to do and exploiting it. He does it now just as well as he ever did - if not better - so... yeah?

Or...........he just cheats. :sneaky:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Look at the beginning of any great dynasty...family line....anything...there is cheating, stealing, breaking the rules....hell, Christopher Columbus wasn't an angel....he was a conquistador...no surprise here.

If you aint cheating....you aint trying....it's why I don't see a problem with people trying to get ahead by any means necessary....it's a result of capitalism...guys will do anything to get ahead....Kraft, Belichick, Brady....all of them.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Watching tape, sure helped his reaction time, methinks. Unfortunately, the Patriots and the NFL did this to their eternal infamy.
VlhfquW.png

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Look at the beginning of any great dynasty...family line....anything...there is cheating, stealing, breaking the rules....hell, Christopher Columbus wasn't an angel....he was a conquistador...no surprise here.

If you aint cheating....you aint trying....it's why I don't see a problem with people trying to get ahead by any means necessary....it's a result of capitalism...guys will do anything to get ahead....Kraft, Belichick, Brady....all of them.
You are talking about unregulated capitalism, prior to the Standard Oil Monopoly Trial and before the legislation after great financial events like the 1929 Stock Market Crash...That was a Darwinian style of capitalism, unlike now. Taping plays of your opponents offensive plays and playcalls, is a shitstom of bad. Don't make excuses for these @ssholes.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Taping plays of your opponents offensive plays and playcalls, is a shitstom of bad. Don't make excuses for these @ssholes.
Meh....reminds me of the Steelers of the 70's....and 80's....dudes were juiced up on that line....so were we....I'd guess....same with Bonds and Clemmens....it wasn't a competitive advantage if the opponents were doing it too....only on the ones that weren't....I'd guess a bunch of teams were taping/spying/filming on opponents practices...just weren't doing it correctly, or didn't know where to focus their attention....taping redzone plays was brilliant.

I hate the fact that the Pats "stole" that 2002 title....that was my favorite Rams team....until that loss....gotta go 1979....with Ferragamo....Dickerson in the 86 season....the 2105 year....man....I liked those teams....wished they had cheated....ahahahahaahahaha
.That was a Darwinian style of capitalism, unlike now.
When you incentive-ise gain....people will do anything to gain a buck...look at your common car accident...look at the insurance system....medical system....all to make a buck...to capitalize....on a presumed weakness....Belichick was fired in Cleveland....wasn't gonna let that happen without a fight. Brady went 6th round....you know how close he was to not making the league? Bledsoe could really throw....