So Why Is Walton Still Our Dc?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NorCalRamFan

He was basically our 3rd choice after Williams was suspended, Ryan said "Thanks, but no thanks" despite taking the job and the keys to the facility and Fisher hired the leftover bum Walton because he had no other option.

So why isn't Walton taking steps to find a suitable replacement that actually makes our defense better instead of retaining an assistant that would make the Rams worse?

This isn't some great cosmic mystery. it's a simple question.

Offensive DC could use some help as well.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Because the Rams are firm believers in bringing guys up through the system. They view Walton as a rookie with upside. Fisher showed how it's suppose to look like late in the year so hopefully he's learning. He just got his feet wet.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Why isn't Walton taking steps to find a replacement?

[hl][/hl]

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Why isn't Walton taking steps to find a replacement?

[hl][/hl]
It was 2:30 am, I'm guessing sleep deprivation made him a lil:cray:. I get the gist, just don't agree with it. Walton has to make his scheme fit Fish's philosophy which is to play pretty much off man hybrid zone. I don't love it but it is what it is

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Did anybody honestly expect him to be fired?
I didn't expect him to be fired, but I wouldn't have been surprised, especially after Fisher's long time buddy Schwartz became available. I believe this is a make or break year for him though

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Like almost every other NFL head coach Jeff Fisher doesn't like admitting he made a mistake.
Unless he leaves of his own volition I think Walton will be DC as long as Fisher is head coach.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Like almost every other NFL head coach Jeff Fisher doesn't like admitting he made a mistake.
Unless he leaves of his own volition I think Walton will be DC as long as Fisher is head coach.
Interesting. Do you really think any NFL Head Coach would rather see his team fail than admit he made a mistake?

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Interesting. Do you really think any NFL Head Coach would rather see his team fail than admit he made a mistake?

Later in the season coach Fisher started to call the defense, right? He's still going to do whatever he can to help the team win, but he'll still try to save face as well.

Walton will be given every opportunity to figure it out (maybe even more than he deserves) before a change will be made.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, first off Walton was not a third choice keep in mind that Fisher wanted him in 2012 for Assistant Defensive Coordinator/Passing Game, but Walton decided to stay with the Lions. Now Gregg Williams with the suspension was not an option Fisher was going in another direction and if Walton was on the staff, he would've just promoted Walton IMO.

Now I don't disagree that I was not pleased with Tim Walton's debut as Defensive Coordinator, however, Fisher is very loyal and believes very strongly in continuity that is why Tim Walton is still the defenisve coordinator.

What I am shocked over is that Fisher has a plethora of options available to him right now especially after the Titans fired the whole coaching staff, but IMO 2014 is the year Fisher has targarted for success and if the Rams do not reach post season in 2014 as Ram fans we can expect several staff changes most likely starting with both coordinators.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I flag that, "admitting he made a mistake?' any chance he just might disagree with you?

moklerman

Warner-phile
2013 Rams Defensive Ranks:

Yards: 15th
Passing TD's: 7th
Rushing Yards: 9th
Rushing Y/A: 2nd
Sacks: 3rd
Score %: 10th

They were killed in some areas but not bad at all in quite a few.

tonyl711

Starter
look at what he had as players to start the year, a rookie LB, a rookie safety and another safety who isn't really too good, a secondary that were al second year players besides the one seasoned vet who seems to have lost it, a LB who started the season suspended, then the rookie safety breaks his leg and misses a lot of games. all this in his first year as a DC, a job he had never had before. and his defense did play a lot better the second half of the season. give him a break, give him time.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
look at what he had as players to start the year, a rookie LB, a rookie safety and another safety who isn't really too good, a secondary that were al second year players besides the one seasoned vet who seems to have lost it, a LB who started the season suspended, then the rookie safety breaks his leg and misses a lot of games. all this in his first year as a DC, a job he had never had before. and his defense did play a lot better the second half of the season. give him a break, give him time.

Is it just me or did his "D" play better after Fisher stepped in?

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I flag that, "admitting he made a mistake?' any chance he just might disagree with you?

I'd be shocked if he didn't disagree with me. It's just my opinion.

Castro thought communism was a good idea for Cuba. Do you think he'd (Castro) call that a mistake?

tonyl711

Starter
is it just me or did Fisher have Dunbar and McD back? did he take over after they all had a little time to get used to the NFL? and I do believe Fish has been at this a little longer than Walton, give the guy time.

PhxRam

is it just me or did Fisher have Dunbar and McD back? did he take over after they all had a little time to get used to the NFL? and I do believe Fish has been at this a little longer than Walton, give the guy time.

I am not proposing an all out firing, but you have to admit that they didnt look any better during preseason when they had ALL the starters.

Everyone kept saying that it was preseason and they were playing vanilla. As it turned out that WAS our defense early on.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Later in the season coach Fisher started to call the defense, right? He's still going to do whatever he can to help the team win, but he'll still try to save face as well.

Walton will be given every opportunity to figure it out (maybe even more than he deserves) before a change will be made.

Fisher did NOT "start to call the defense" at any point in the season. And for those who continue to think that this somehow is Walton's scheme, you couldn't be more wrong. This is, has been, and will be Fisher's defense. The only thing that was ACCUARATELY reported, was Fisher getting more hands on in the GAME PLANNING aspect of the defense later in the season.

Upon hiring a titled Defensive Coordinator, one who was familiar with the terminology, scheme, and nuances of THIS defense, Fisher admittedly was less involved THIS YEAR than last, when due to the suspension of Williams, he was forced to be more hands on. With Assistant Head Coach Dave McGinnest, former DC Chuck Cecil, LB Coach Frank Bush and DL Coach Mike Wauffle all on board, why would Fisher think he needed to be as involved in the game planning now? Everyone of these assistant coaches had previous experience under Fisher in THIS DEFENSE.

The one variable that was different, was it being Walton's first go at being the DC and game day play caller. IMO, this situation was not much different than last year's when there were many who were concerned with NOT having a coordinator at all. The defense LAST YEAR started off the year with lackluster performances, only to come together and improve dramatically as the year went on.

Now, because they didn't pick up where they left off from the END of the year in 2012, it somehow must be Walton's fault. After all, we now have a single person to BLAME. But we tend to overlook the FACT that they had no less than FIVE new starters at the beginning of the season, 4 of which were rookies or first year starters.

Moving forward to 2014, with the expected turnover of personnel being minimal, and with Walton now having a better grasp of what this personnel is capable of, there is no reason to think they shouldn't be able to continue to develop. Rather than being so basic is what they are able to do in terms of scheme, they can install and grow the scheme to include many of the combination coverages, and blitzes they just weren't able to expect the young newcomers to grasp THIS YEAR.