So Why Is Walton Still Our Dc?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Fisher did NOT "start to call the defense" at any point in the season. And for those who continue to think that this somehow is Walton's scheme, you couldn't be more wrong. This is, has been, and will be Fisher's defense. The only thing that was ACCUARATELY reported, was Fisher getting more hands on in the GAME PLANNING aspect of the defense later in the season.

Upon hiring a titled Defensive Coordinator, one who was familiar with the terminology, scheme, and nuances of THIS defense, Fisher admittedly was less involved THIS YEAR than last, when due to the suspension of Williams, he was forced to be more hands on. With Assistant Head Coach Dave McGinnest, former DC Chuck Cecil, LB Coach Frank Bush and DL Coach Mike Wauffle all on board, why would Fisher think he needed to be as involved in the game planning now? Everyone of these assistant coaches had previous experience under Fisher in THIS DEFENSE.

The one variable that was different, was it being Walton's first go at being the DC and game day play caller. IMO, this situation was not much different than last year's when there were many who were concerned with NOT having a coordinator at all. The defense LAST YEAR started off the year with lackluster performances, only to come together and improve dramatically as the year went on.

Now, because they didn't pick up where they left off from the END of the year in 2012, it somehow must be Walton's fault. After all, we now have a single person to BLAME. But we tend to overlook the FACT that they had no less than FIVE new starters at the beginning of the season, 4 of which were rookies or first year starters.

Moving forward to 2014, with the expected turnover of personnel being minimal, and with Walton now having a better grasp of what this personnel is capable of, there is no reason to think they shouldn't be able to continue to develop. Rather than being so basic is what they are able to do in terms of scheme, they can install and grow the scheme to include many of the combination coverages, and blitzes they just weren't able to expect the young newcomers to grasp THIS YEAR.

Just a note: It was reported and confirmed by players that there were some terminology changes brought by Walton.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Fisher did NOT "start to call the defense" at any point in the season. And for those who continue to think that this somehow is Walton's scheme, you couldn't be more wrong. This is, has been, and will be Fisher's defense. The only thing that was ACCUARATELY reported, was Fisher getting more hands on in the GAME PLANNING aspect of the defense later in the season.
How can you be sure that he didn't take over the play calling? He starting holding the game day playbook before the Saints game, and he never did that before. It's also not a big deal, nor is it out of the ordinary. Even Spags used to call ALL of the third down plays on defense instead of Flajole. And while this isn't necessarily Walton's defense, it is his terminology and has some plays from his repertoire which is a branch in the Jeff Fisher, Gregg Williams, Jim Schwartz mutation of the Buddy Ryan tree.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Something changed the last half of the season with this D. Did the lights decide to come on for everybody at the same time or did something else change? I'd vote for the latter. Rest assured if this D regresses in 2014, Walton is a gone ass.

tonyl711

Starter

Upon hiring a titled Defensive Coordinator, one who was familiar with the terminology, scheme, and nuances of THIS defense, Fisher admittedly was less involved THIS YEAR than last, when due to the suspension of Williams, he was forced to be more hands on. With Assistant Head Coach Dave McGinnest, former DC Chuck Cecil, LB Coach Frank Bush and DL Coach Mike Wauffle all on board, why would Fisher think he needed to be as involved in the game planning now? Everyone of these assistant coaches had previous experience under Fisher in THIS DEFENSE.

The one variable that was different, was it being Walton's first go at being the DC and game day play caller. IMO, this situation was not much different than last year's when there were many who were concerned with NOT having a coordinator at all. The defense LAST YEAR started off the year with lackluster performances, only to come together and improve dramatically as the year went on.

Now, because they didn't pick up where they left off from the END of the year in 2012, it somehow must be Walton's fault. After all, we now have a single person to BLAME. But we tend to overlook the FACT that they had no less than FIVE new starters at the beginning of the season, 4 of which were rookies or first year starters.

Moving forward to 2014, with the expected turnover of personnel being minimal, and with Walton now having a better grasp of what this personnel is capable of, there is no reason to think they shouldn't be able to continue to develop. Rather than being so basic is what they are able to do in terms of scheme, they can install and grow the scheme to include many of the combination coverages, and blitzes they just weren't able to expect the young newcomers to grasp THIS YEAR.

this 1000 times and not just for the defense but the entire team, this team started more rookies and second year players than any team in the NFL, I don't understand how anyone expected them to win right off the bat, and they didn't, but as the season went on those rookie and second year players were playing better and better, good enough that they beat 2 playoff teams by pretty wide margins, and did so with a back up QB. they should all go into next year knowing the system, the future is bright.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'd be shocked if he didn't disagree with me. It's just my opinion.

Castro thought communism was a good idea for Cuba. Do you think he'd (Castro) call that a mistake?
I think your reference is bogus, and FWIW that you are accusing someone of being incapable of objectivity out of I suppose a subjective view of people in general.
ND in the end you have never established THAT he's wrong only that your opinion is that but you framed it AS FACT.
AND BTW you aso indicted "almost every other NFL HC right along with him, I got no problem with you HAVING an opinion that's fine framing it as fact is the issue.
There WAS a time when I was foaming at the mouth for Fassels head ,thank GOD Fisher never took my opinion to be fact cuz by the end of the season our special teams looked purdy daym good.

classicpony

Starter
Name
Jim
This is year 3 for Jeff, time to make a run for the SUPERBOWL! Get some backbone Jeff!! Its now or never for you & you know it. Staying in StL depends on it.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
I think your reference is bogus, and FWIW that you are accusing someone of being incapable of objectivity out of I suppose a subjective view of people in general.
ND in the end you have never established THAT he's wrong only that your opinion is that but you framed it AS FACT.
AND BTW you aso indicted "almost every other NFL HC right along with him, I got no problem with you HAVING an opinion that's fine framing it as fact is the issue.
There WAS a time when I was foaming at the mouth for Fassels head ,thank GOD Fisher never took my opinion to be fact cuz by the end of the season our special teams looked purdy daym good.

It's my opinion that you may be taking this too seriously.

Please note the following is also opinion;
Football coaches and dictators share more qualities than you may think.

NorCalRamFan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fisher wanted McD back, but McD wasn't honest with him about the whole "BountyGate" thing, so option #1 was scratched.
Rob Ryan was then given the job, the keys to the "house" and was our next DC, but along came the New Orleans Job and RR said "Thanks, but no thanks" (Next time get it in writing, Fisher)
That left us with Tim Walton, who's previous NFL coaching experience was with Detroit as a Secondary Coach and someone who had never been a DC

Our CB's play so far off of the LOS that I can barely see them at times. No wonder the likes of Carson Palmer are playing "catch" out there with his WR's when they play us.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Fisher wanted McD back, but McD wasn't honest with him about the whole "BountyGate" thing, so option #1 was scratched.
Rob Ryan was then given the job, the keys to the "house" and was our next DC, but along came the New Orleans Job and RR said "Thanks, but no thanks" (Next time get it in writing, Fisher)
That left us with Tim Walton, who's previous NFL coaching experience was with Detroit as a Secondary Coach and someone who had never been a DC

Our CB's play so far off of the LOS that I can barely see them at times. No wonder the likes of Carson Palmer are playing "catch" out there with his WR's when they play us.

McD? who are you talking about?

And you do get the connection with Walton right? He was indeed an assistant on Jim Schwartz' staff in Detroit. The same Jim Schwartz who was Fisher's DC in Tennessee prior to getting his Head Coaches gig in Detroit. So the defense they ran was virtually the same as Fisher runs here./

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
this 1000 times and not just for the defense but the entire team, this team started more rookies and second year players than any team in the NFL, I don't understand how anyone expected them to win right off the bat, and they didn't, but as the season went on those rookie and second year players were playing better and better, good enough that they beat 2 playoff teams by pretty wide margins, and did so with a back up QB. they should all go into next year knowing the system, the future is bright.

When can we start having expectations of the team winning?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
When can we start having expectations of the team to winning?

Next year, I would say.

That is the year we can have expectations for the team to be a winning one. :cool: