So much for sitting the rookie lol

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Coach speak. Fisher's modus operandi is to have a rookie QB sit for awhile. I'm not saying there isn't any chance that Goff starts week 1, it just doesn't jive with Fisher's history.
Coach speak would be to say that Goff would NOT be the starter, that he was holding an open competition, that Keenum was "his guy" heading in to TC...
And you lost me on Fisher's history as he hasn't drafted a QB #1 before, while as the Rams coach that is

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Coach speak would be to say that Goff would NOT be the starter, that he was holding an open competition, that Keenum was "his guy" heading in to TC...
And you lost me on Fisher's history as he hasn't drafted a QB #1 before, while as the Rams coach that is
Fisher hadn't ever taken a QB in the first round. He didn't get control of the drafts in Tennessee until 2007. They drafted Young in 2006.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher hadn't ever taken a QB in the first round. He didn't get control of the drafts in Tennessee until 2007. They drafted Young in 2006.
Even so, the draft strategy for the titans has nothing to do with how he's drafted for the Rams

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Whether or not Wentz has a "higher ceiling" is irrelevant and I hope we can put such language to bed now that Goff is a Ram.
I'm not a fan of ceilings. I'll take the high floor any day

RamzFanz

Damnit
Rotoworld:
Coach Jeff Fisher said the "goal" is for No. 1 pick Jared Goff to be the Week 1 starting quarterback

As expected. The Rams don't have the luxury to sit their first-round quarterback behind a quality veteran stopgap like the Eagles do with Sam Bradford and Carson Wentz. And that certainly played into the Rams' decision between Goff and Wentz. Wentz may have the higher long-term ceiling, but Goff is viewed by most as the more pro-ready prospect. Case Keenum will hold the clipboard, while the Rams attempt to unload Nick Foles either this draft weekend or this summer.

Keenum played as well as Bradford last season and had a winning record.

I think this is just Fisher's way of getting the competition heated up. He's a full of BS.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Keenum played as well as Bradford last season and had a winning record.

I think this is just Fisher's way of getting the competition heated up. He's a full of BS.
Very small sample size though. But I'm one of the few still bag believe that if goff was worth this kind of capital, he should have no problem beating out case. I'll be just fine if he sits though

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Fisher will start whoever gives us the best chance to win. The first half of the season looks manageable, which is why the nfl wants LA to sell tickets

I agree with the first part. Anything else wouldn't make any sense!

FrankenRam

Starter
Plus, this is Fisher's do-or-die year. He needs solid QB play NOW. If he benches Goff for a year while we endure a season of Keenum/Foles, Fisher won't be around to reap the benefits.

This must be at least the 3rd year running I've heard that. "If he doesn't make the playoffs..., he's gone.' Ain't happened yet. X hit the nail on the head.....as long as there is anything approaching 'extenuating circumstances', don't pay any visits to Vegas and put money on Fish being gone.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Goff and Mannion.... What could go wrong...

StevenG-BR

Rookie
This must be at least the 3rd year running I've heard that. "If he doesn't make the playoffs..., he's gone.' Ain't happened yet. X hit the nail on the head.....as long as there is anything approaching 'extenuating circumstances', don't pay any visits to Vegas and put money on Fish being gone.

Third year running? Well, I don't know who you are referring to, but I certainly wasn't ready to move on in 2014. Maybe after 2015.

I think there's a good chance he would've been canned after last season if not for the move. And he would almost certainly be canned after 2016 with another 7-win year. No doubt.

If Fisher has another 7-win season, he deserves to be fired and I think he will be, but that's my opinion. If not, the only reason for it is the move and the new QB.

Maybe X did hit the nail on the head, but I sure hope not. I don't want the Rams to get caught in the same cycle as the Titans....Keeping Fish around for a decade because .500 ball is "good enough." I think the Rams have been a playoff-caliber team for 2-3 seasons now. They keep falling short because of horrible inconsistency, no discipline and pitiful offense...which are all Fisher trademarks.

Him and Stan are buddies. Fine. But Kroenke knows the nature of this business. You don't keep a coach around for a 6th year when he's 0-5 on winning seasons and has yet to hit .500.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I agree with the first part. Anything else wouldn't make any sense!

The way I see it, the first part of the season looks to be against teams we can win on paper. Pretty sure the NFL scheduled it this way so tickets will sell more. I think we're more than capable of beating any team in the NFL

FrankenRam

Starter
Third year running? Well, I don't know who you are referring to, but I certainly wasn't ready to move on in 2014. Maybe after 2015.

Wasn't referring to you...except that you're saying it now. But it has been said by someone every year for at least 3.

Him and Stan are buddies. Fine. But Kroenke knows the nature of this business. You don't keep a coach around for a 6th year when he's 0-5 on winning seasons and has yet to hit .500.

You apparently believe that Kroenke actually cares about 'winning'....that he burns to have a SB trophy handed to him. But show me the evidence that any of his pro sports franchises have consistently yielded winners. They'll have the occasional good run....enough to keep putting butts in the seats and maybe make the playoffs occasionally. But don't hold your breath waiting for much more than that. 'Winning' in his eyes is only required to the extent that it continues to put $$ in his pocket. I could see Fish being gone if the Rams don't get 6 wins this yr.....but 6 or above and I think he's good. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he got 3 yr in LA w/o doing any better than they have since Fisher was hired.

I could certainly be wrong. Perhaps the move to LA will bring out an entirely new SK, but I sure wouldn't bet on it.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I think Keenum should be the day 1 starter. If he loses the first couple games, then throw the kid in. If he keeps winning, keep playing him.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I'm going to rub your nose in that someday.

Remember this post........

I've got a wife with a memory like an elephant with Internet access...

I'm more surprised when my nose isn't being rubbed in...something or other...

But I get ya...lol. Rub away if it comes to that...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Keenum, Goff, Foles this year or until Goff supplants Keenum.

Next year, draft a developmental QB for 3rd string and pay Keenum to stay as a top tier backup cuz those are necessary for teams to make deep playoff runs.

Trade Mannion.

Been my plan since before the draft...

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
Keenum, Goff, Foles this year or until Goff supplants Keenum.

Next year, draft a developmental QB for 3rd string and pay Keenum to stay as a top tier backup cuz those are necessary for teams to make deep playoff runs.

Trade Mannion.

Been my plan since before the draft...

That was my thought as well. Mannion would like get the most back and needs more reps than Foles or Keenum...which he won't get.