So much for sitting the rookie lol

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rotoworld:
Coach Jeff Fisher said the "goal" is for No. 1 pick Jared Goff to be the Week 1 starting quarterback

As expected. The Rams don't have the luxury to sit their first-round quarterback behind a quality veteran stopgap like the Eagles do with Sam Bradford and Carson Wentz. And that certainly played into the Rams' decision between Goff and Wentz. Wentz may have the higher long-term ceiling, but Goff is viewed by most as the more pro-ready prospect. Case Keenum will hold the clipboard, while the Rams attempt to unload Nick Foles either this draft weekend or this summer.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Yeah. Sounds about right.

One of the NFLN announcers was asked when he will start.
"Goff will be the starting QB by Friday"

Loved it.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
Coach speak. Fisher's modus operandi is to have a rookie QB sit for awhile. I'm not saying there isn't any chance that Goff starts week 1, it just doesn't jive with Fisher's history.

Now if the Rams trade away Keenum, that all goes out the window.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah. Sounds about right.

One of the NFLN announcers was asked when he will start.
"Goff will be the starting QB by Friday"

Loved it.
If he can excel in camp then I'm all for it. Hard knocks is gonna be fun

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Coach speak. Fisher's modus operandi is to have a rookie QB sit for awhile. I'm not saying there isn't any chance that Goff starts week 1, it just doesn't jive with Fisher's history.

Agree. I doubt keenum goes anywhere though. The goal is to start goff but he could hit camp and be a complete mess in the beginning (I personally doubt it, but hey) so it would be smart to hold on to keenum. How does goff rank as a prospect? It's been a while since a top drafted qb has sat out, right?

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier

Disagree.barring injury Goff will be week 1 starter .Keenum or no Keenum

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Goff is a Northern California Native and he will start against the San Francisco 49ers on the eve of the 12th of September and 49ers fans will be watching another Joe Montana in the making or Tom Jarrod.

Heaven-Can-Wait-1978-2.jpg

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Fisher will start whoever gives us the best chance to win. The first half of the season looks manageable, which is why the nfl wants LA to sell tickets

StevenG-BR

Rookie

It's a different landscape in the NFL now since Vince Young.

Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco made the concept of starting rookie QBs mainstream in 2008. Then you have guys like Bradford, Carr, Mariota, Winston, Luck, RG3, Wilson...all successful rookie years, so now the trend is an expectation.

If Goff can't start Week 1 over Case Keenum, after all the picks they gave up, fans in general will go ape sh**.

Plus, this is Fisher's do-or-die year. He needs solid QB play NOW. If he benches Goff for a year while we endure a season of Keenum/Foles, Fisher won't be around to reap the benefits.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
Goff is a Northern California Native and he will start against the San Francisco 49ers on the eve of the 12th of September and 49ers fans will be watching another Joe Montana in the making or Tom Jarrod.

Love it Coach.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
You guys all make strong arguments, especially with this possibly being Fisher's make or break year.

If you are all correct, shouldn't the Rams look to get value out of Keenum?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Plus, this is Fisher's do-or-die year. He needs solid QB play NOW. If he benches Goff for a year while we endure a season of Keenum/Foles, Fisher won't be around to reap the benefits.
I don't think enough people appreciate (or acknowledge) the close relationship between Stan and Jeff. Something completely catastrophic would have to happen for Stan to can Fisher, IMO. They're more or less married.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't think enough people appreciate (or acknowledge) the close relationship between Stan and Jeff. Something completely catastrophic would have to happen for Stan to can Fisher, IMO. They're more or less married.

I concur, but Fisher needs to get the Rams to post season, that's the goal...ESK likes Fisher, however, if no progress is made, David Shaw lies coiled in Palo Alto and just happens to love Goff...As In Goff We Trust!

Ram65

Legend
Goff can handle being the starter from the first game. I expect him to be the starter.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
It would be a complete waste of the draft picks/trade up if he doesn't start day one.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Fisher has never traded a buttload of picks and used the #1 overall selection on a QB before either. Goff was the starting QB as soon as the selection was announced.

StevenG-BR

Rookie

Plenty of coaches have strong relationships with owners and still get canned. It's business. Johnson loved Rex Ryan. Shanahan was Snyder's guy.

I can see Fisher being spared after another mediocre year...but it'll be due to the unique situation (relocation, rookie QB)....not because Kroenke likes him as a person (although that doesn't hurt).

If Fisher has less than 6 wins I think he's gone for sure. Another .500 season...he should be gone, but he'll have some unique excuses to lean on, so hard to say.

jap

Legend
Case can do things with the rock the veteran Horns signal callers can only dream of. Unless something catastrophic (e.g., injury) were to rear its ugly head, Jerad will win the starting job running away.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This is not unlike winning a Ferrari and saying you're not sure you'll drive it instead of your midsized sedan. When they line these QBs up and run offensive concepts it's gonna be about that one-sided because of the talent disparity.

So of course the "plan" is for him to start the opener. But he has to win the job. And he will, as long as he doesn't get injured or struggle with the playbook. IF I were the Rams I would have slipped him an iPad with the playbook on it and told him get studying. Not sure if that's allowed before OTAs but F it, I'd do it anyway just sayin.