So much for sitting the rookie lol

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Rotoworld:
Coach Jeff Fisher said the "goal" is for No. 1 pick Jared Goff to be the Week 1 starting quarterback

As expected. The Rams don't have the luxury to sit their first-round quarterback behind a quality veteran stopgap like the Eagles do with Sam Bradford and Carson Wentz. And that certainly played into the Rams' decision between Goff and Wentz. Wentz may have the higher long-term ceiling, but Goff is viewed by most as the more pro-ready prospect. Case Keenum will hold the clipboard, while the Rams attempt to unload Nick Foles either this draft weekend or this summer.
Your probably right! But I've already bet, here at ROD, That Keenum throws the 1st pass in the Regular Season, so we'll see. Fisher was patient with starting Gurley last year, I want him to be just as careful with Goff!(y)
But I wouldn't mind if Goff just takes the League by Storm from Day One!!:mrburnsevil:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He'll start...and he should...#1 Pick is a starter....1st game is in his hometown stadium....
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...er-goal-is-for-jared-goff-start-opening-night
Will Jared Goff be the opening day starter for the Los Angeles Rams?

"He may start on Monday night," Fisher said of the Rams' Monday Night Football opener against theSan Francisco 49ers in Santa Clara, California. "That's the goal. We understand the environment, believe me. He does. We've had lengthy conversations. If I had concerns about whether Jared could handle this, I wouldn't be talking about Jared right now. He can handle it."

It might seem like an obvious question. The Rams gave up a small fortune to move from No. 15 to the top of the draft for a player they've deemed their missing piece both privately and publicly. However, with the Eagles already planning to sit Carson Wentz for a season behind Sam Bradfordand the Rams tendering Case Keenum at the first-round level, there could have been an argument made for easing Goff into the rotation a little bit like the Jaguars did with Blake Bortles.

Goff's readiness was cited by plenty of draft analysts as the reason he edged out Wentz for the No. 1 pick. There are still plenty of people who believe Wentz will be the better player eventually, but there was little doubt that Goff was a more polished product.

Fisher's best-guess proclamation sets the stage for a very interesting Week One matchup against a Chip Kelly team playing for the first time under their unique new head coach.

Goff shouldn't be too nervous, either. Over the last 10 years, there were five quarterbacks taken No. 1 overall who started their season opener. None of them won the game, and only Cam Newton andSam Bradford played reasonably well.

» Matthew Stafford: 16 of 37 (43.24 percent) 205 yards, no touchdowns, three interceptions, 45-27 loss to New Orleans Saints.

» Sam Bradford: 32 of 55 (58.18 percent) 253 yards, one touchdown, three interceptions, 17-13 loss to the Atlanta Falcons.

» Cam Newton: 24 of 37 (64.86 percent)422 yards, two touchsowns, one interception, 28-21 loss to the Arizona Cardinals.

» Andrew Luck: 23 of 45 (51.11 percent) 309 yards, one touchdown, three interceptions, 41-21 loss to the Chicago Bears.

» Jameis Winston: 16 of 33 (48.48 percent) 210 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions, 42-14 loss to the Tennessee Titans.

In fact, no quarterback taken No. 1 overall starting his first game has won since 2002 (h/t to the great NFL.com editor and cool stat lover Max Meyer for the heads up). That was when NFL Media's David Carr and the Houston Texans beat the Dallas Cowboys, 19-10. Carr went 10 of 22 for 145 yards, two touchdowns and an interception.

Last edited:

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I said it in another thread and stick by it. Unless Goff completely sucks in preseason he's the starter.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It would be a complete waste of the draft picks/trade up if he doesn't start day one.
Right because the value of the trade is simply week 1 of 2016 and not the entirety of Goff's career with the Rams. Every post from you lately seems to be nothing but negativity. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Your probably right! But I've already bet, here at ROD, That Keenum throws the 1st pass in the Regular Season, so we'll see. Fisher was patient with starting Gurley last year, I want him to be just as careful with Goff!(y)
But I wouldn't mind if Goff just takes the League by Storm from Day One!!:mrburnsevil:
I think Goff is ready to play from a physical skill set standpoint. There is a lot of other mental stuff about playcalling, protection, hot routes, changing plays etc. which will be a new language and he'll have to get down. I suspect he will master most or all of this by training camp. After that he'll learn from playing. Oh, and he will give the Rams their best chance to win from Day 1. I like Case, but he will never be able to do stuff which Goff does very well already.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
Right because the value of the trade is simply week 1 of 2016 and not the entirety of Goff's career with the Rams. Every post from you lately seems to be nothing but negativity. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

I'll ignore the negativity comment, as you are way off base. You're welcome to put me on ignore. My post wasn't worded in the best way, meaning Snisher using that kind of capital, means he starts day one regardless of how ready or not ready he is.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
My post wasn't worded in the best way, meaning Snisher using that kind of capital, means he starts day one regardless of how ready or not ready he is.
:thinking:I really doubt this^!! Fisher just isn't that kind of Coach!!!:shocking:

jap

Legend

Todd was coming back from an ACL injury. If he had been healthy with a full range of motion, he probably would have started in Week One last season. He has shown that he is a willing blocker and a fast learner. It didn't take him long to showcase his blocking skills when he stonewalled the Pack's Clay Matthews as he [Clay] was coming on a blitz.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My dad has been knocking the trade all week. I hope he lights it up and proved everyone wrong

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I agree actually...that being said I don't think it's all within his control. New California quarterback in a California market sort of thing.
I understand you thinking, I just don't see Fisher bending to the Fan's wishes just to keep them happy!

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Rotoworld:
Coach Jeff Fisher said the "goal" is for No. 1 pick Jared Goff to be the Week 1 starting quarterback

As expected. The Rams don't have the luxury to sit their first-round quarterback behind a quality veteran stopgap like the Eagles do with Sam Bradford and Carson Wentz. And that certainly played into the Rams' decision between Goff and Wentz. Wentz may have the higher long-term ceiling, but Goff is viewed by most as the more pro-ready prospect. Case Keenum will hold the clipboard, while the Rams attempt to unload Nick Foles either this draft weekend or this summer.

Whether or not Wentz has a "higher ceiling" is irrelevant and I hope we can put such language to bed now that Goff is a Ram.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
I understand you thinking, I just don't see Fisher bending to the Fan's wishes just to keep them happy!

I was thinking each influence adding up...NFL(Hard Knocks), Kroenke and the fans that make him his cash moneys.

PartyKane

UDFA
Name
Alex Maldonado
He needs to start day one.

It's kind of impossible to not play him, it's against San Francisco.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I don't think enough people appreciate (or acknowledge) the close relationship between Stan and Jeff. Something completely catastrophic would have to happen for Stan to can Fisher, IMO. They're more or less married.

Not sure i'm ready to buy into this, … while Kroenke speaks well of Snead/Fisher, as should be expected, Fisher has no contract beyond this season. A short extension allowing for Goff to get his feet wet might change my current opinion, but i'm not sure Kroenke does 'close relationships' with employees. The pressure appears on for Snisher to win now, or else …
jmo.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Not sure i'm ready to buy into this, … while Kroenke speaks well of Snead/Fisher, as should be expected, Fisher has no contract beyond this season. A short extension allowing for Goff to get his feet wet might change my current opinion, but i'm not sure Kroenke does 'close relationships' with employees. The pressure appears on for Snisher to win now, or else …
jmo.
It's just my gut feeling. Fisher was Kroenke's hire. He didn't leave it to Demoff to find the right coach, and he wasn't hands-off during the process to get him here. Fisher is highly regarded around the league, and he's not the kind of guy you fire unless (like I said), he completely screws up. And he's not screwing up. Fisher and Kroenke are aligned in their vision of what this Franchise is to become, and that's why I believe Kroenke will stick with him for the long term. All of this is moot anyway, because now that they have the QB, the results will come.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If Fisher has less than 6 wins I think he's gone for sure. Another .500 season...he should be gone, but he'll have some unique excuses to lean on, so hard to say.
Well, Scuba Steve, all of this is predicated on the belief that Kroenke is a reactionary person. That he'll pull the plug on what Fisher is trying to build because Kroenke either succumbs to public scrutiny, or he cares a lot about immediate results. I do think that Kroneke will constantly evaluate the situation, but I don't think he'll fire Fisher unless the fans revolt or there's some sort of grass roots effort to get him fired that results in a severe loss of revenue. Kroenke is a firm believer in the "Patriot Way", and he specifically hired Fisher to fulfill that vision. So, we'll see. I expect to see the contract extension any day now. Just IMO.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I expect to see the contract extension any day now. Just IMO.

I suspect that is the kind of positive reinforcement Fisher/Snead could use based on the picks given up for Goff, and however long it takes to get him up to speed.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Coach speak. Fisher's modus operandi is to have a rookie QB sit for awhile. I'm not saying there isn't any chance that Goff starts week 1, it just doesn't jive with Fisher's history.

Now if the Rams trade away Keenum, that all goes out the window.
Well, there was a time when it was said that Fisher would never pick an OT in the first round, which we know he did. He was cautious last year with Gurley, but that was due to injury recovery...I would be surprised if he didn't start Goff Week One, unless there was some problem in hi early development as a starter...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, Scuba Steve, all of this is predicated on the belief that Kroenke is a reactionary person. That he'll pull the plug on what Fisher is trying to build because Kroenke either succumbs to public scrutiny, or he cares a lot about immediate results. I do think that Kroneke will constantly evaluate the situation, but I don't think he'll fire Fisher unless the fans revolt or there's some sort of grass roots effort to get him fired that results in a severe loss of revenue. Kroenke is a firm believer in the "Patriot Way", and he specifically hired Fisher to fulfill that vision. So, we'll see. I expect to see the contract extension any day now. Just IMO.
Yes.....Kroenke is no Daniel Snyder