Snead on negotiations with Aaron Donald: 'No movement'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I wonder how his parents feel, probably people that worked all their life and provide him with all the opportunity to become a star athlete. Now they see that he is making millions and it is never enough, he has become a self absorbed greedy sheet.

That's emotion talking. I get it - but what is more likely is that he is just listening to his agent, the professional that he pays big money to advise him in these situations.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I wonder how his parents feel, probably people that worked all their life and provide him with all the opportunity to become a star athlete. Now they see that he is making millions and it is never enough, he has become a self absorbed greedy sheet.

Or maybe they want him to secure his financial future while still in his prime?

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
We got a problem. SW is going to need to be extended, Ogletree too. Tavon and Tru are paid too much and AD isn't being paid at all.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Aaron Donald isn't just a DT, though. Some would argue he's the most dominant defensive player in the league. You don't trade guys like him away for "chances" at drafting other top players. At least, good teams don't.
Was Haynesworth deserving of $100,000,000 ? Is Suh worth $114,000,000 ? Will a 26 year old guy trying to blackmail his team with 2 years remaining on his contract keep his head in the game with a $70,000,000 signing bonus sitting in his bank account ? $100+mil. contracts should be reserved for QB's, if anyone, not DT's. Will Ogletree, Watkins, Barwin, Alexander, Joyner, Dunbar, Sullivan, & Tru Johnson be affordably replaceable when they enter free agency next season ? Are we satisfied at OG ? How will Michael Brockers feel after he signed a 3 year, $33,250,000. contract with $24mil guaranteed ? Contracts like what Donald is seeking are CAP busters for maintaining team cohesion. I'd rather win the way Bilichick does it than tie up your CAP on a single player. jmo.

Last edited:

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Aaron Donald isn't just a DT, though. Some would argue he's the most dominant defensive player in the league. You don't trade guys like him away for "chances" at drafting other top players. At least, good teams don't.
But if said player doesn't want to sign do you let that type of player go with no compensation other than a 3rd compensation pick

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
The Patriots would not pay him with these kind of demands IMHO. I want Donald as much as the next guy but if the only way he signs is if hes gonna sign a deal thats gonna handicap us to signing other players, Wades defense will survive without an Aaron Donald. Donald doesn't score touchdowns, bottom line.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
But if said player doesn't want to sign do you let that type of player go with no compensation other than a 3rd compensation pick
Hell no, you play hardball and hold his rights for 4 years of his prime and be as petty as possible.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Don't budge Rams FO. Let AD sit for 2 years and get fined every game he doesn't play. Then trade him for a 1st and an 2nd.

Lets see how good he plays after sitting 2 years.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hell no, you play hardball and hold his rights for 4 years of his prime and be as petty as possible.
Im inclined to agree to a certain extent but can you imagine the hubbub over that for the next four years

Talk about distraction

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
Im inclined to agree to a certain extent but can you imagine the hubbub over that for the next four years

Talk about distraction
IMO, I already think its becoming a big distraction in the locker room, we just aren't hearing or seeing it right now. We know the players are talking among themselves. As this drags on we will see it becoming more prevalent within the entire organization.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
He does help prevent the opposition from scoring touchdowns. I get what your saying, this whole thing sucks and in the end both parties are going to lose.

Don't know if you saw the Rams D during the cowboys game, but that D is going to be fire. With or without Donald. They are containing the field very well, and their tackling is becoming more solid. So yeah Donald would add more heat but give these guys who are playing now time, and Donald will be forgotten.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
That's emotion talking. I get it - but what is more likely is that he is just listening to his agent, the professional that he pays big money to advise him in these situations.

Who is also going to gain from AD signing a big extension. Which begs, whose best interest is the agent really looking after?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Who is also going to gain from AD signing a big extension. Which begs, whose best interest is the agent really looking after?

It's a mutual interest, of course.

Of course, AD can tell his agent - get me signed right now and his agent will do it - but one of these guys is the professional contract negotiator and the other is a football player. The entire reason you have an agent is to advise you and maximize your payment window.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You guys are forgetting a key statement by the money-man Kevin Demoff, which was "we have the money to re-sign whoever is considered fundamental to the team. This includes Donald, Ogletree, whoever..." I take it that he knows more about the finances of team than anyone here, so I'll take him at his word.

The Bellicheck model of building a team? Kroenke said that when he first got majority ownership and even had his book. How has that worked for us so far? The Bellicheck method works for Bellicheck, and few others...

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
The Patriots would not pay him with these kind of demands IMHO. I want Donald as much as the next guy but if the only way he signs is if hes gonna sign a deal thats gonna handicap us to signing other players, Wades defense will survive without an Aaron Donald. Donald doesn't score touchdowns, bottom line.

Patriots would make him sign a team friendly deal, or they would do what they do to everyone and this make him play the 2 years he is contracted for and then franchise him at least 1 year. That would give them 3 years to groom the replacement.

There is a laundry list of players they have traded or let walk because players would not sign a "team" deal. Chandler Jones, Richard Seymour, Tagged Malcolm Butler, Darrelle Revis, Aqib Talib, Brandon Spikes, Logan Mankins, Wes Welker, to name a few. There are some Hall of Famers in there too.

Sad fact for the player is the teams (Rams in this case) hold all the leverage. At some point Donald has to report or he loses a year of service.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
You guys are forgetting a key statement by the money-man Kevin Demoff, which was "we have the money to re-sign whoever is considered fundamental to the team. This includes Donald, Ogletree, whoever..." I take it that he knows more about the finances of team than anyone here, so I'll take him at his word.

Billionaire Kroenke will be footing the record near $70.mil in bonus money in cash to kick start any deal, that's all that means. His annual salary will be budgeted thru the CAP.