Snead on negotiations with Aaron Donald: 'No movement'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
The Patriots would not pay him with these kind of demands IMHO. I want Donald as much as the next guy but if the only way he signs is if hes gonna sign a deal thats gonna handicap us to signing other players, Wades defense will survive without an Aaron Donald. Donald doesn't score touchdowns, bottom line.

Patriots are a unique organization. Very few teams lure FA's the way they do.

Steelers paid AB. Seahawks paid Chancellor, who not only missed the entire offseason, but two regular season games. Broncos paid Von Miller. Hell, even Emmit Smith held out back in the day. It happens. What about Pace? SJ39?

And no, Donald doesn't score touchdowns, but it's silly to equate team success only to those who play offense. Rushing the passer and stopping the run is essential for defense, and Donald is one of the greatest at both.

I can't wait until he's locked up in a week or two, and all the "trade Donald, he's selfish, blah blah" BS gets silenced when he gets his first sack, or blows up a RB in the backfield like he's done time after time.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Patriots are a unique organization. Very few teams lure FA's the way they do.

Steelers paid AB. Seahawks paid Chancellor, who not only missed the entire offseason, but two regular season games. Broncos paid Von Miller. Hell, even Emmit Smith held out back in the day. It happens. What about Pace? SJ39?

And no, Donald doesn't score touchdowns, but it's silly to equate team success only to those who play offense. Rushing the passer and stopping the run is essential for defense, and Donald is one of the greatest at both.

I can't wait until he's locked up in a week or two, and all the "trade Donald, he's selfish, blah blah" BS gets silenced when he gets his first sack, or blows up a RB in the backfield like he's done time after time.
Riddle me this Batman.... How many of those players wanted an opt-out clause after three years to make more money if the cap goes up?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Perhaps you should change your handle to Nostradamus.

Would that make you Stevie Wonder?

Comparing Haynesworth (who was overpaid by the Redskins, shocker) or Ndamkung Suh (who was overpaid by the Dolphins who had an absurd amount of cap space at the time) in situation or as players to AD is ridiculous. AD is a consensus top 5 player in the league. He's a once in a generation type player.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Riddle me this Batman.... How many of those players wanted an opt-out clause after three years to make more money if the cap goes up?

You're basing that on pure conjecture, joker.

I have as much insight into their contracts as you do.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
You're basing that on pure conjecture, joker.

I have as much insight into their contracts as you do.

How is asking a question based on contracts a conjecture? Contracts are facts especially when in writing. So how many people opted out before their rookie contract was up?

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Would that make you Stevie Wonder?

Comparing Haynesworth (who was overpaid by the Redskins, shocker) or Ndamkung Suh (who was overpaid by the Dolphins who had an absurd amount of cap space at the time) in situation or as players to AD is ridiculous. AD is a consensus top 5 player in the league. He's a once in a generation type player.

Same things said of both Haynesworth & Suh along with many others who never performed consistently as expected for the money. Maybe Donald will finish his NFL career as the all-time best, but at what cost to the team trying to balance payroll and keeping other important members signed & happy ? One injury and we have a $100,000,000 mil. dollar problem.
Wait, did I just hear a flushing of the 'We not me' slogan ?

Zodi

Hall of Fame
How is asking a question based on contracts a conjecture? Contacts are facts especially when in writing. So how many people opted out before their rookie contract was up?

He's referring to this rumor that Donald turned down the most recent contract offer because he wants an opt-out clause after year 3. I've tried tracing it down and all I've come up with is some dude saying "Well, I heard..." Definition of conjecture.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Same things said of both Haynesworth & Suh

Sorry, but nah. Suh never lived up to his draft status with the Lions, and everyone knew the Redkins overpaid Haynesworth (as they do), who had a history of having a questionable work ethic.

You never hear anything negative about AD, performance wise or regarding his off-the-field life.

The fact that you're putting AD in the same sentence as Haynesworth shows you're grasping at straws.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
He's referring to this rumor that Donald turned down the most recent contract offer because he wants an opt-out clause after year 3. I've tried tracing it down and all I've come up with is some dude saying "Well, I heard..." Definition of conjecture.

I believe the point barrison is making is why Donald is "reluctant" to play when their still is a contract that needs to be fulfilled. This could of waited til next season, sitting out now is a waste of time, and it may backfire on Donald.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I believe the point barrison is making is why Donald is "reluctant" to play when their still is a contract that needs to be fulfilled. This could of waited til next season, sitting out now is a waste of time, and it may backfire on Donald.

His point was obvious. He inquired as to which of the holdouts I listed requested an opt-out clause in their new contract after year 3. "How many of those players wanted an opt-out clause after three years to make more money if the cap goes up?"

If you look back in this thread (I don't know why anyone would bother), there's a few spreading this rumor that Donald rejected a $20m/year offer because it didn't have an opt-out clause after year 3 if the cap goes up. Which, in itself is ridiculous, because the cap always goes up, and agents know this.

This is dumb. Yeah, the situation sucks. But it's nothing new. Fans of this team are roasting a player who's still on this team. Temporary insanity, recreational outrage, whatever. And now people have "insider knowledge" of the situation. Okay. Man, the season can't start soon enough.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
You're referring to pre-draft debate versus a player with years of top-level production. Keep spinnin'.

Spinning would be predicting the future of a player who is yet to sign a new contract.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Exactly, Steezy gets it. If he's gonna pull this bs with 2 years left on his deal scares me that every 3 years he'll just hold out for more money again and if we play that game with Donald we will be living in the definition of 'cap hell'.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Fearless prediction, based on nothing other than nuts and/or guts:

AD's new deal will happen on Aug. 26 -- and news of the deal will be announced during the nationally-televised Rams-Chargers game. The national stage gives both sides the opportunity to pat themselves on the back: "See?!? We got the deal done. Ain't I the greatest?!?"

Bonus prediction: on its face, the signed deal won't be much different than the rumored offer that's currently on the table. Of course, the agent will explain "the language needed some adjusting before we'd agree to terms".

It will happen either right before or right after this time. But yeah, it's gonna happen.

Again, I aint worried.

Although this thread has gotten so much more amusing, as folks are calling AD "greedy" and telling the Rams to not budge, and I just recall post just a month ago about how the Rams somehow "screwed up" Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson...

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Spinning would be predicting the future of a player who is yet to sign a new contract.

I never predicted anything. I said AD is worth $100 million. You may have inferred that as me predicting the future, but minus an agenda, you could've extrapolated that I was basing that off of his current and past production.

You want AD gone and I want him resigned. Case closed.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Exactly, Steezy gets it. If he's gonna pull this bs with 2 years left on his deal scares me that every 3 years he'll just hold out for more money again and if we play that game with Donald we will be living in the definition of 'cap hell'.

Players hold out for new contracts all of the time. Your fear is based on a BS rumor-- one that you even referenced in your previous post. I haven't been able to find anything solid regarding Donald wanting an opt-out clause after year 3, so fear that he would hold out again in the future is conj... eh nevermind.