Snead on Mike Evans

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
max having second thoughts:
I've given this more thought. I think it's a mistake to go easy on the StL reporters. I think we should demand top tier sports efforts from them.

Heck, we've got guys like the Rams Addiction doing a better job than most of those jokers who are getting paid.
A couple things about this.

I don't disagree with your demanding top tier efforts from our local reporters. Most of them aren't the pick of the litter. I just don't think you're thinking about the reality of the situation. The salaries and expenses for our local reporters are being paid by the PD. The PD can't compete against the newspapers in the much bigger markets. You can't really expect the PD to pay to send reporters to every college pro day. Even the big guys like ESPN use stuff from local reporters.

The Rams addiction, which I like very much, puts out an audio version of a day on the ROD. I've learned almost nothing new about the Rams listening to it.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Local guys present mostly facts. National media will throw out as much fluff and rumor as they can find (or make up).

Ram_of_Old

If we could get both Evans and one of the top OL prospects in the first round, that would be sweet! Watkins may be out of our reach, since I see Snead trading the number 2 pick down to get most picks. We will see...

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Yeah, no way we'll do that. With all their extra picks the niners could move to 10-12 and snag Evans. They'd have to use them all to get Watkins! It was just some desperate talk on the local sport radio station I overheard earlier today. I think they sense their window closing...

Love your Isiah Robertson avatar circa '73. Those uni's were bad ass
Thanks Dude,
I was at my grandparents listening to the Rams VS Skins playoff game of 1974 on the radio. We were up 13 -10 in the 4th quarter of a tightly contested defensive struggle. Sonny Jurgensen was leading the Skins down the field, you could feel the Skins were gaining momentum, I was 10 years old and glued to the Radio with my since past dad and grandfather they both had that look of oh well kid it's going happen to us again. Then Jurgensen stepped back in the pocket and chucked it down field, Isaiah like some kind of hero from a comic book snagged the ball out of the air and ran 59 yards for a touchdown and the victory was sealed. At that moment he was my hero and my visit with my grandparents was harmonious.

SierraRam

Recreational User
Thanks Dude,
I was at my grandparents listening to the Rams VS Skins playoff game of 1974 on the radio. We were up 13 -10 in the 4th quarter of a tightly contested defensive struggle. Sonny Jurgensen was leading the Skins down the field, you could feel the Skins were gaining momentum, I was 10 years old and glued to the Radio with my since past dad and grandfather they both had that look of oh well kid it's going happen to us again. Then Jurgensen stepped back in the pocket and chucked it down field, Isaiah like some kind of hero from a comic book snagged the ball out of the air and ran 59 yards for a touchdown and the victory was sealed. At that moment he was my hero and my visit with my grandparents was harmonious.
Very nice! Their defense from that era is often overlooked, but you and I know it was one of the best of all time. The stats support it. Hollywood Henderson got all the ink, but Isiah was the best outside LB in the NFC from 73-78.

Anyway - Evans and a top OL... I could live with that

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Those were exactly Fendi Onobun's measurables/stats! :sneaky:

Yea but Fendi Onobun didn't put up nearly 1400 yards, 20+ yards per catch, and 12 TDs in the SEC. ;)

Plus, Fendi was just way too soft.

I've given this more thought. I think it's a mistake to go easy on the StL reporters. I think we should demand top tier sports efforts from them.

Heck, we've got guys like the Rams Addiction doing a better job than most of those jokers who are getting paid.

I agree. It's amazing how little they actually inform their readers about football.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Yea but Fendi Onobun didn't put up nearly 1400 yards, 20+ yards per catch, and 12 TDs in the SEC. ;)

I agree. It's amazing how little they actually inform their readers about football.
Release the Onobun!

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

One problem is that the folks of StL are way too nice. They not only tolerate the garbage reporting, they suck up to guys like Bernie. That guy has no use outside of lobbying to get StL players in the HOF.

RFIP

I heard Lance Zierlein on a Houston station today say he spoke with Les Snead at the Manziel Pro Day yesterday. He said Snead spent a lot of time watching Evans, so he went over and asked Snead what he thought about Evans. He said Snead told him Evans is a basketball player, which has its good points and bad points. And that you don't ask Evans to run routes that he isn't good at yet, you ask him to do what he does best, and if that's vertical routes, that's what we'd have him run. Snead said like all young WRs Evans isn't there yet but will improve and it's the coaches job to put them in the best position to do what they do best.

Zierlein thought if Evans got past #10, then there's a good chance he'd be there for the Rams at #13.

In other words, more of what we have WELL stocked on our shelves, wr's who can't play in the NFL "yet" if ever. No thanks.

Like I said, if you don't draft Watkins PLEASE don't waste any more picks on project wr's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In other words, more of what we have WELL stocked on our shelves, wr's who can't play in the NFL "yet" if ever. No thanks.

Like I said, if you don't draft Watkins PLEASE don't waste any more picks on project wr's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, we need WIDE RECEIVERS who are nightmares for DB's to cover!

but your right, LB's probably will cover Evans.

Puhlease. Garbage. Total garbage.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
What i've been alluding to is that its a possibility that he transitions to an elite TE. I'm certainly in the minority but i'm not alone in my thoughts and no one here is an NFL scout.
One NFL scout told NFL.com's Chase Goodbread that Texas A&M redshirt sophomore WR Mike Evans might fit better as a flex TE in the NFL.

"As good as Evans has been, one scout told College Football 24/7 that he may project better as a flex tight end in the NFL than as a receiver, which would allow him to more easily beat safeties and linebackers in coverage than pro cornerbacks," Goodbread writes. We think this is splitting hairs, since Evans will frequently be moved in the slot in the NFL as a matchup nightmare.
http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/cfb/132186/mike-evans

WEAKNESSES
Monotone mover with pedestrian speed -- cannot separate vertically or pull away from the pack. Unsudden acceleration. Stiff hips. Will have to make a living in traffic at the next level -- will struggle to separate vs. quick-twitch NFL cornerbacks. Did not run a full route tree and could require patience learning the nuances of refined route running. Backyard element to his college success -- must become savvier instead of depending on superior size and improvisational production. Can be hotheaded and lose control of his emotions. Basketball was first love.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/mike-evans?id=2543468
Me: While i don't agree that his speed is an issue(40 times are overrated) i do see the bolded as a weakness he may need to overcome lined up outside between the 20's against top flight DB's.
---------------------

Also, i'm getting a little tired of posters speaking in absolutes and using a condescending tone when disagreeing. You're a guy on the internet. Show some class. Get over yourself.
You know who you are.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
What i've been alluding to is that its a possibility that he transitions to an elite TE. I'm certainly in the minority but i'm not alone in my thoughts and no one here is an NFL scout.
http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/cfb/132186/mike-evans

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/mike-evans?id=2543468
Me: While i don't agree that his speed is an issue(40 times are overrated) i do see the bolded as a weakness he may need to overcome lined up outside between the 20's against top flight DB's.
---------------------

Also, i'm getting a little tired of posters speaking in absolutes and using a condescending tone when disagreeing. You're a guy on the internet. Show some class. Get over yourself.
You know who you are.

I think that's fair. The question about him is how he's going to create separation at the next level - and I think its agreed he's going to have to make a living in traffic. That's ok I guess - but it does limit his ceiling as a receiver. If you want to make him a tight end then I suppose you could give it a go - but why spend a top 10 draft pick on the guy if you're doing that to "develop" him to play TE? Wouldn't you take a guy like Ebron who you know can play the position.

Also - we're talking about guys like Jimmy Graham and Antonio Gates - who are elite at the position. An interesting thing to consider is his size. He's listed at 231lbs. Jimmy Grahams 260? Same with Gates? Jared Cooks what - 240lbs - and we all know what he's like as a blocker - so for him to be effective would he have to put on 20lbs and would this effect his running ability given it would seem to be a bit above his "natural" fighting weight.