Snead: Ogletree sacrificed for Peters/Talib

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Right on.
I know who I'd rather choose.
We can run this team without OBJ.

Especially with Woods and Kupp, that's obvious.

My only exception is that I don't see why that's a choice. I don't care about media, we know our team and that's not a choice in Snead's head right now, especially because he doesn't and cant know if OBJ would be fully on board, let alone if they could work something out such a trade makes any kind of sense.

I can't imagine that OBJ vs Gurley is a choice anyone in the org is thinking...even for a second.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't imagine that OBJ vs Gurley is a choice anyone in the org is thinking...even for a second.

I'm sure there are people at least thinking of Gurley's career being limited, because they realize that running backs do tend to have shorter productive careers. It's all the contact. I would be nervous if nobody in the organization didn't at least think about that, and had it affect their reasoning. Doesn't mean you don't keep Gurley - but it's a factor still.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
It's a balance.

Too many teams only focused on defeating the pass, so power running teams had success as teams loaded up on CBs and DEs.

The spread offenses in college lead to defenses to counter them and that doesn't typicaly lead to the development of ILBs or DTs

There was a draft with no RBs in the first round and now we'll have had 3 in a row with at least one and multiple in the first few rounds because teams realize that they need a balance.

The Saints were a substantially better team with an exceptional talent at the RB position.

The issue with this CBA for RBs is that there's no reason to ever pay an RB a second contract. You draft him in the first round, exercise the 5th year option and then Tag for two years which for RBs is about as cheap as it gets and then let them scrounge for FA deals. Most RBs aren't going to be worth that second contract after 7 years of being a franchise back. Granted, Gurley, Zeke, Fournette, Kamara... they don't look like most RBs. Still, not surprised that the Steelers aren't going long term for Bell.

Case in point. Blount has won 3 rings in 4 years and is a devastating, bruising back that has made each team he's been on that much better. And??? He's essentially a journeyman, yet his impact is measurable.

At some point, teams are going to start paying for RBs because the glut we've had over the past few years will dry up (like they do in every position) and teams without RBs will be willing to overpay, the pendulum will swing and then swing back.

We're also going to see teams working hard to NOT pay $30M+ per season for QBs under this cap because it's counterproductive to winning. Dunno when that swing happens, but it's coming.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not so sure about that. Gurley in this particular offense has a profound impact on the game results.

I thought the question was OBJ vs. Donald.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I thought the question was OBJ vs. Donald.

Apparently, we're reliving that 2016 Giants game, except now it's on the contractual level...

le sigh...