Snead: Ogletree sacrificed for Peters/Talib

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Debacled

Starter
I still think they were extremely disappointed in Ogletree's play after his extension this past season and decided to move on. They won't come out and say that about a guy they just extended and liked as a man and a team player, but it just didn't come together last year.

Its been pointed out that missed tackle in the Atlanta game probably sealed his fate.

jap

Legend
I still think they were extremely disappointed in Ogletree's play after his extension this past season and decided to move on. They won't come out and say that about a guy they just extended and liked as a man and a team player, but it just didn't come together last year.

Its been pointed out that missed tackle in the Atlanta game probably sealed his fate.

But they did say it. They said they were "frustrated" with 'Tree's run defense.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I totally agree with the logic that the cap resources directed at Ogletree were better spent elsewhere in this defense.

Solid move, despite still some work to do to shore up his absence.

Why would anyone want to sacrifice Gurley for OBJ? Gurley had 19 TD's and a leader, OBJ a headache, makes no damn sense.

I think it comes down to supply; it’s a lot easier to find a productive RB compared to WR... and with the large contract investment, one must consider the shelf life at RB.

That doesn’t mean we dislike Gurley. He’s a stud. It’s all about where to invest those cap dollars.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why would anyone want to sacrifice Gurley for OBJ? Gurley had 19 TD's and a leader, OBJ a headache, makes no damn sense.

Exactly right . I wouldn't take two OBJ's for one Gurley . Gurley is the motor of the offense and a class act .

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I totally agree with the logic that the cap resources directed at Ogletree were better spent elsewhere in this defense.

Solid move, despite still some work to do to shore up his absence.

I think it comes down to supply; it’s a lot easier to find a productive RB compared to WR... and with the large contract investment, one must consider the shelf life at RB.

That doesn’t mean we dislike Gurley. He’s a stud. It’s all about where to invest those cap dollars.

Gurley would not be easily replaceable. It's not easy to find a 3 down workhorse with elite speed.

Meanwhile the Steelers just paid bell $26m for 2 seasons without him attending any off season practices or pre season games.

Gurley is easily worth that.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Ogletree's cap number of roughly $12 million for each of the next three years was a luxury Snead could no longer afford once the Rams determined to fulfill Phillips' wish for premium cornerbacks.

This is what a good GM does, finds out what the coaches want and goes out and gets it.

Yeah there is no doubt about it, this defense is way better now that it was before Snead did these deals. Even without the addition of Suh.

I like the fact that he said out loud sometimes you have to make sacrifices to make gains. This tells us he is looking to upgrade all the time all across the roster. Snead does not let the grass grow under hit feet!

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gurley would not be easily replaceable. It's not easy to find a 3 down workhorse with elite speed.

Meanwhile the Steelers just paid bell $26m for 2 seasons without him attending any off season practices or pre season games.

Gurley is easily worth that.

Sure. But what about in a year or two?

Gurley is great now - but by the time the 5th year contract is tendered, and he's been franchised twice, he will have absorbed 1-2000 more hits. How much more will he have at that time? Will he still be elite? I doubt he's going to want to sign just a year or two contract - rather he will want a long term contract with a bunch guaranteed. There's a very good chance that he will have a huge cap hit still and no longer be elite at some point. There's a lot better chance that Donald and Goff will still be valuable at the tail end of their next contracts. I'm not big on trading for and extending OBJ, but if they do they will tacitly be saying that they think he will still be elite at the tail end of his contract.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If we get OBJ, I think Gurley is the long-term sacrifice. I doubt that Brockers goes anywhere this year.

Maybe. I said the same thing to a bud of mine when we were discussing the news on OBJ in fact. But then again maybe it's Donald. Who's going to win you more games under that big contract? Receivers are a premium position right now, and that's not to say I think they're worth what teams are doing to get them, as I think they're overvalued a bit. But we do have a coach with an offensive bent and a young QB that we want to ensure has the weapons he needs to continue his growth. So I wouldn't eliminate any possibilities tbh when it comes to adding a top WR.

Or maybe they planned to let both those CBs walk in a couple years and draft replacements. Although the rate they're going I don't know that they'll have picks to rebuild anything lol. And re: Brock... He played at a high level last year and was fully bought-in from day one. So yeah no way they'd move him this year. But next year he could be a casualty IF they snap up a good DT from this excellent class.

And again I don't want us to go get OBJ. But obviously the Rams value him and might do just that.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Idk about anyone else, but I wouldn’t mind cutting Barron. I like Hager and Wilson to man the middle. Draft an OLB to create a lethal pass rush and get a deep threat in the 2nd round.
I really expect the Rams to go after a couple of Linebackers is this Draft and a Pass rushing DE!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Sure. But what about in a year or two?

Gurley is great now - but by the time the 5th year contract is tendered, and he's been franchised twice, he will have absorbed 1-2000 more hits. How much more will he have at that time? Will he still be elite? I doubt he's going to want to sign just a year or two contract - rather he will want a long term contract with a bunch guaranteed. There's a very good chance that he will have a huge cap hit still and no longer be elite at some point. There's a lot better chance that Donald and Goff will still be valuable at the tail end of their next contracts. I'm not big on trading for and extending OBJ, but if they do they will tacitly be saying that they think he will still be elite at the tail end of his contract.
I have the same train of thought here on OBJ as you may be even stronger against it(n). I would prefer a game plan to keep Gurley elite for the longest time possible. But wear & tear & demise is a fact of life here for our RB Gurley on this Ram team as it is today. Things could change that though....

Gurley carried this team into the playoffs as far as I am concerned. If any player deserves a Ram big payday it's him not a OBJ:mad:. This one player effort was something to witness:bow:. The use of Gurley in the passing game (morphing him into a 3 down back in 2017 compared to his first 2 seasons) increased his workload on the field of play dramatically.

Malcolm Brown has been a excellent UDFA good econo priced back up but there is a dramatic drop off in the offense when Brown is in for Gurley. TA as the lone RB offers less than Brown. Lance Dunbar was never healthy RB but was suppose to be the dynamic relief back for Gurley that never happened. Justin Davis might be but he sure was not ready for the NFL as a rookie, is still an unknown at this time.

If they want to keep Gurley fully healthy & still elite for this hyped up SB run the next two seasons then better keep this massive OL intact & think hard on another talented RB as close as we can attain with 2018 draft resources ....in the mold of what Gurley is now in on order!

I would keep the draft picks going to the Giants & use these assets to keep Gurley fresh & not overworked.;)

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Going back to the OP and Les' comments, what I still have a problem with is him saying they went back and looked at what was important to Wade's defense AFTER they signed him. It brings up all manner of concerns.

Les has had a great offseason thus far, in remaking the defense on a limited budget what with the signings that are supposedly coming. But that signing of Ogletree is a great example of how all these guys can whiff and make mistakes, how they can have bad comms there in-house, how they can prioritize the retention of the wrong guys, etc.

What I hope is that Les has learned his lesson about locking guys up based on practice performance and coaching staff expectations. They need to prioritize the guys who get it done on gameday. Get the damn impact players locked up LONG TERM (which still hasn't happened btw even though I presume it's going to here soon) and build around them with shrewd drafting.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
As we witnessed with the star-studded Super Bowl 50 defense in Denver, great cornerback play allows Phillips to be more creative with his game plans and play calls, unleashing unrelenting pressure on opposing quarterbacks.
Exactly this....

Not sure why Tree was extended so soon? Was it after a couple of those good defensive games we had?
Why would anyone want to sacrifice Gurley for OBJ? Gurley had 19 TD's and a leader
Have you seen OBJ's TD numbers? He's on a record pace for a WR....

But

I'd take Gurley over OBJ....but I could see why some may want to consider it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they want to keep Gurley fully healthy & still elite for this hyped up SB run the next two seasons then better keep this massive OL intact & think hard on another talented RB as close as we can attain with 2018 draft resources ....in the mold of what Gurley is now in on order!

Every time I look at this OL with the three FAs pending and the age of the other two, it gives me a sinking feeling man. Only good thing here is that I have enormous trust in our OL coach to help the front office properly navigate the minefield, but man it is effin ugly.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I still believe our OLBs may already be on the roster (sorry ROD draftniks)

Hoping we still draft one or some for competition reasons. The way Fisher handed some positions to certain players on a silver platter makes my blood boil in retrospect.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hoping we still draft one or some for competition reasons. The way Fisher handed some positions to certain players on a silver platter makes my blood boil in retrospect.

Definitely. Ebukam showed well in year one and I have heard the staff is high on him. But I didn't see blindside quicks and pass rush instincts from him. ROLB remains an enormous need for this roster. It's also a money position, so they will go out of their way to take a guy they feel can do that at 23. Even if some of the ILB types are graded higher tbh.

IMO this LB group overall requires an influx of speed and physicality. Desperately. The additions don't necessarily need to be high draft picks, but there is no way in hell the Rams are looking at their LB corps and thinking they're good. No way.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Definitely. Ebukam showed well in year one and I have heard the staff is high on him. But I didn't see blindside quicks and pass rush instincts from him. ROLB remains an enormous need for this roster. It's also a money position, so they will go out of their way to take a guy they feel can do that at 23. Even if some of the ILB types are graded higher tbh.

IMO this LB group overall requires an influx of speed and physicality. Desperately. The additions don't necessarily need to be high draft picks, but there is no way in hell the Rams are looking at their LB corps and thinking they're good. No way.

No, but I expect a free agent cut to be signed - that may not be until teams see what they have in the draft, and want to reduce cap hits again. I also expect at least two LBs taken in the draft - one in the first unless a great value drops to them at another position, or they trade down for an extra pick.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Well, I’m just gonna come out and say it...

Snead was putting the most gentle possible spin on the Ogletree trade decision,, IMO. He bent over backwards not to hurt Tree’s feelings.

Didn’t have a damned thing to do with the addition of the 2 stud CB’s. Fact is, Tree was a poor fit for Wade’s D and Wade knew that a less expensive upgrade was very doable. Hell, could be a 3rd or 4th rounder or even this Ramik guy or another LB already on the roster.

An upgrade for less money? A no brainer.

Same thing with Quinn, tbh. There. I said it.

Next time, I’m not gonna hold back. Lol.