Snead: Ogletree sacrificed for Peters/Talib

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
Just five months after signing Alec Ogletree to a lucrative new contract extension, the Rams turned around and traded the star linebacker to the Giants.

What did Los Angeles' brass see down the stretch last season that inspired the sudden about-face?

In a sit-down interview at the Annual League Meeting in Orlando, general manager Les Snead told the Around The NFL Podcast that Ogletree was a victim of defensive coordinator Wade Phillips' cornerback-oriented scheme.

"Great leader, great human. We re-signed him because he was one of our best football players," Snead explained. "But when we went back and really analyzed, talked about, discussed what makes Wade's defense go, it's the corner position.

And interestingly we did the Marcus Peters trade before we did the Aqib Talib trade. But once Aqib became available, how do you fit him within the parameters of your salary cap, with other things like Aaron Donald extension, things like that, coming down the line? Sometimes you have to make sacrifices to get gains. ... Once we came up with that vision, that goal, we attacked the offseason."

As we witnessed with the star-studded Super Bowl 50 defense in Denver, great cornerback play allows Phillips to be more creative with his game plans and play calls, unleashing unrelenting pressure on opposing quarterbacks.

While Talib spear-headed the Broncos' celebrated "No Fly Zone" secondary, Phillips made do with a late-round draft pick (Danny Trevathan), a former practice squad member (Brandon Marshall) and an undrafted free agent (Todd Davis) at inside linebacker.

Ogletree's cap number of roughly $12 million for each of the next three years was a luxury Snead could no longer afford once the Rams determined to fulfill Phillips' wish for premium cornerbacks.

By swapping out Ogletree, Robert Quinn and Trumaine Johnson for perennial Pro Bowlers such as Talib, Peters and Ndamukong Suh, the Rams are emerging as perhaps the most compelling team in the league. If Snead manages to land mercurial Giants megastar Odell Beckham as the final masterstroke, NFL.com's Gregg Rosenthal won't be the only one proclaiming football's version of Showtime in Los Angeles.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think they will miss him. I'd love to have seen him play behind the big 3. Can't have everything I guess.

jjab360

Legend
The reality is that if we somehow get OBJ, there's going to have to be another sacrifice. Might be Barron, might be Brockers, might be Webster. For the long term, it might have to be all three.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Idk about anyone else, but I wouldn’t mind cutting Barron. I like Hager and Wilson to man the middle. Draft an OLB to create a lethal pass rush and get a deep threat in the 2nd round.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The reality is that if we somehow get OBJ, there's going to have to be another sacrifice. Might be Barron, might be Brockers, might be Webster. For the long term, it might have to be all three.

If we get OBJ, I think Gurley is the long-term sacrifice. I doubt that Brockers goes anywhere this year.

dang

Legend
Webster yes. Barron - Perhaps but I like his play when he is healthy. Brockers - Hell No!! I want that 3 -headed monster for at least one season.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we get OBJ, I think Gurley is the long-term sacrifice. I doubt that Brockers goes anywhere this year.

Quite possibly. He's a heavily used RB, and those tend to have short careers at their most effective. There are exceptions, but I could see either trading him or taking the comp pick if it becomes apparent that it's either sacrifice a star or not be able to afford depth.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
He said “ SHOWTIME”. That’s it, that the D’s new nickname.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yep. When its all said and done, Gurley will be the first big time player here who doesn't get paid. He'll get his big contract elsewhere. Sucks, but that's just how it works with RB's.

jjab360

Legend
Ouch, I hope not. If that's the case, I'll pass on OBJ.

Gurley does so much for both the run and pass game, it'd be hard to imagine our offense without him.

My optimal scenario if we just had to have OBJ would be to sign him to a two year extension through 2020 and then we can let him go and stack Gurley and Goff's extensions behind that one. OBJ gets another contract in his prime and we get to use him to fully open our super bowl window while we've got some of our best players on their rookie contracts, it's a win-win scenario.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It's gonna be interesting, that's for sure.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ouch, I hope not. If that's the case, I'll pass on OBJ.

Gurley does so much for both the run and pass game, it'd be hard to imagine our offense without him.

My optimal scenario if we just had to have OBJ would be to sign him to a two year extension through 2020 and then we can let him go and stack Gurley and Goff's extensions behind that one. OBJ gets another contract in his prime and we get to use him to fully open our super bowl window while we've got some of our best players on their rookie contracts, it's a win-win scenario.

I don't think that scenario is worth a first. I'd rather just spend our first (or trade down into the second) on a WR. I know OBJ is OBJ, but it's simply not worth it to me if he's not sticking around for good. I'd just trade down and take Anthony Miller. I think him, Kupp, Woods, and Reynolds would make one hell of a WR corp.

Yep. When its all said and done, Gurley will be the first big time player here who doesn't get paid. He'll get his big contract elsewhere. Sucks, but that's just how it works with RB's.

I'd pay the man. But we're not going to be able to keep him and OBJ on massive contracts. If we don't trade for OBJ, I'm keeping Gurley. HBs are undervalued.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why would anyone want to sacrifice Gurley for OBJ? Gurley had 19 TD's and a leader, OBJ a headache, makes no damn sense.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Im not sure what to make of all this... but I do know that a diva WR who misses games with injury, parties before playoffs, creates conflict and has the potential to implode like a supermassive blackhole is not worth 2 firsts or 20 mil per, and certainly not worth moving on from Todd Gurley, who is exactly the kind of back that can perform at a high level for years.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Im not sure what to make of all this... but I do know that a diva WR who misses games with injury, parties before playoffs, creates conflict and has the potential to implode like a supermassive blackhole is not worth 2 firsts or 20 mil per, and certainly not worth moving on from Todd Gurley, who is exactly the kind of back that can perform at a high level for years.

The good news is that we don't have to worry about it playing out like that.

McVay and Snead aren't going to engage in subraction by addition... and not pay for the privilege...

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I never viewed Ogletree as a “tackling machine”

Personally I feel he wasn’t suited for his position in Wades defense

His missed 3rd and long tackle vs Atlanta opening 3rd qtr drive sealed his fate as far as I’m concerned, that was just intolerable and I’m actually glad the coaching staff made the move

But oh yeah, he truly was a great teammate

We’ll see come draft day, I still believe our OLBs may already be on the roster (sorry ROD draftniks)

We need to score on a tackling machine ILB and I’m guessing the boys know this

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I, for one, am not going to miss Tree's bad angles, missed tackles and getting ate up by O-linemen.