Six players likely to disappoint in 2015

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
Six players likely to disappoint in 2015
  • _Sessler-65x90.jpg
  • print.png

g-plus.png

fb-like.png

share-button.png
  • By Marc Sessler
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: June 30, 2015 at 04:04 p.m.
  • Updated: June 30, 2015 at 05:03 p.m.

The offseason is a time of hope -- much of it misplaced.

Months of flowery reports tell us that players league-wide are bigger, faster and smarter than ever before.

The reality, though, will be far more grim when too many springtime stars wind up playing like a pack of JAGs come September.

Whether it's overpriced free agents who fail to live up to the billing or journeyman veterans being asked to do too much, plenty of players will disappoint in 2015. Here's the six who top our list:

6. Jeremy Maclin, Chiefs receiver

After setting career highs with 85 catches and 1,318 receiving yards last season, Maclin shifts from Chip Kelly's high-flying attack to Kansas City. He'll struggle to repeat that production against a steady diet of top corners and double teams in 2015. Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce will generate attention, but opponents aren't going to move off Maclin for the rest of that wideout group. While he's a massive upgrade at the position, K.C.'s conservative, run-heavy playbook makes the former Eagle a fantasy risk.

5. Matt Cassel, Bills quarterback

To be fair, we weren't expecting much from Cassel to begin with. Still, he was seen as the presumptive Week 1 starter after the Bills swung a trade for him in March. Today, he's a roster-bubble candidate after Vic Carucci of The Buffalo News called him "easily the worst-looking quarterback" during offseason workouts. We'll see Cassel, Tyrod Taylor and the headache-inducing EJ Manuel all start games in 2015 -- not a winning formula in the NFL.

4. Byron Maxwell, Eagles cornerback

Maxwell was outstanding in Seattle, but he won't have the luxury of playing with Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor in Philly. Being paid like a bona fide No. 1 corner, Maxwell is under pressure to prove that he can thrive away from the Legion of Boom. I love his size and technique -- and he's an upgrade over Cary Williams and Bradley Fletcher -- but it's fair to wonder how he'll handle Odell Beckham, DeSean Jackson and Dez Bryant in the NFC East.

3. Darren McFadden, Cowboys running back

This is the best fit for McFadden since play-caller Hue Jackson milked 1,000-plus yards out of the ex-Raiders runner in 2010. He's a strong bet to top last year's putrid output, but McFadden's sub-3.5 yards per tote over the past three seasons are no mirage. Topping 155 carries just twice in his injury-riddled career, McFadden is being touted by some as a bell-cow in waiting. I side with Gregg "The Boss" Rosenthal to argue that Joseph Randle will emerge as the far better option.

2. Josh McCown, Browns quarterback

McCown has averaged just 4.1 starts per season over his 12-year career. I don't buy him as a 16-game workhorse in his age 36 campaign. McCown's a leader, but the Browns are in a risky spot, hoping to top last year's 7-9 mark with an aging project under center. Besides, the front office will want to take another look at Johnny Manziel if things go south. Either way, Cleveland is ripe to draft another passer next spring.

1. Nick Foles, Rams quarterback

I'm tempted to put Sam Bradford on this list, but I agree with Chris Wesseling: He's a better fit for Comeback Player of the Year in Chip Kelly's offense. Foles is here because of what we haven't seen in St. Louis under Jeff Fisher: A competent offense. The Rams will run the ball plenty with Todd Gurley and Tre Mason, but Foles will be asked to make his share of plays through the air to one of the league's most uninspiring group of wideouts. He was a statistical revelation two years ago, but Foles no longer operates inside a quarterback-proof offense.

So tired these a** wipes.Just because Foles isnt playing in Kelly,s magic fairy dust offense he is doomed to fail.I've watched about every pass play Foles has run since entering the league and the guy can play.A little reckless at times but has great pocket awareness,movement. Can make all the throws with good not great accuracy.Exceptional vocal leadership. Maybe he struggles a little early
while our young oline earns its stripes but not because we have"one of the league's most uninspiring group of wideouts" I think it's our wideouts who have been playing one of the league's most uninspiring group of quarterbacks.
Maybe we keep a log of all these Chip Kelly fluffers and after Foles is kicking a** and taking names this season we send them a big
SUCK IT!!! from the ROD
(pun definitely intended)

Edit: @tavian please remember to include a link with all articles.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000499419/article/six-players-likely-to-disappoint-in-2015

Last edited:

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Chip Kelly himself has said the system only works with the right players. Meaning he can't just throw any guy in there and make it go. Foles is legit and people are going to find out this year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Foles can win if things are right around him. Comes down to the OL playing respectably and Cigs being ready to take charge and coach up this collection of individual talent into an offensive team.

TXRams86

The Infamous
i dont see how foles makes this list at 1 and bradford doesn't even crack the 5.
dude isn't even going to start the season yet he's going to be comeback player of the year?
eagle fans are in for a disappointing season. cue the youtube angry eagle fan video of his reaction to the foles trade.

Corbin

THIS IS MY BOOOOOMSTICK!!
I absolutely hate Marc Sessler and his collegues he always does reports with. They only talk about the obvious and seemingly always kick the Rams down whether it's deserved or not. I figured Foles was #1 on his list. Moron.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Ya know I said that Foles was a product of the system, when someone had asked if we would want to go after him but homerism aside, I don't believe that anymore. When Foles got hurt and they had to put Sanchez out there, he still looked like the same old Sanchez. That 'godly' system didn't turn him into an elite QB, so that should show that Foles stellar first season was a testament to his talent and not the system he was playing in, just my 2 cents..

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Maybe Foles disappoints because ass hats like this douche are predicting him to struggle and they fail to realize our receiver corp is actually pretty good. Let these morons write their drivel. It will just make it sweeter when the Rams are adding offense to a devastating defense.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Can anyone name the last QB to go from bottom 8 in passer rating, to top 10 the next season? Because if Foles doesn't do that the writer will be correct in my book.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Can anyone name the last QB to go from bottom 8 in passer rating, to top 10 the next season? Because if Foles doesn't do that the writer will be correct in my book.
I'll take Nick's stats along with his 6-2 record. Doesn't a winning record mean anyhing anymore?

2014 Win - Loss record by QB
http://www.footballdb.com/stats/qb-seasons.html?yr=2014&type=reg&sort=pct

Player Team GS W L T Pct
Carson PalmerAri66001.000
Derek AndersonCar22001.000
Case KeenumHou22001.000
Chase DanielKC11001.000
Tony RomoDal1512300.800
Tom BradyNE1612400.750
Peyton ManningDen1612400.750
Aaron RodgersGB1612400.750
Russell WilsonSea1612400.750
Nick FolesPhi86200.750
Andrew LuckInd1611500.688
Ben RoethlisbergerPit1611500.688
Matthew StaffordDet1611500.688
Andy DaltonCin1610510.656
Joe FlaccoBal1610600.625
Drew StantonAri85300.625

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I'll take Nick's stats along with his 6-2 record. Doesn't a winning record mean anyhing anymore?

2014 Win - Loss record by QB
http://www.footballdb.com/stats/qb-seasons.html?yr=2014&type=reg&sort=pct

Player Team GS W L T Pct
Carson PalmerAri66001.000
Derek AndersonCar22001.000
Case KeenumHou22001.000
Chase DanielKC11001.000
Tony RomoDal1512300.800
Tom BradyNE1612400.750
Peyton ManningDen1612400.750
Aaron RodgersGB1612400.750
Russell WilsonSea1612400.750
Nick FolesPhi86200.750
Andrew LuckInd1611500.688
Ben RoethlisbergerPit1611500.688
Matthew StaffordDet1611500.688
Andy DaltonCin1610510.656
Joe FlaccoBal1610600.625
Drew StantonAri85300.625
I actually think most casual fans look at ONLY the record for a QB and that's how they determine if they're good or bad. So, hindsight I guess.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
No kidding, Bradford hasn't played football in 1.5 years but suddenly he's poised to take the NFL by storm by what metric?

Simply because he's not the Rams QB anymore?

RAGRam

Pro Bowler

What? :eek: When did it start meaning something?

I've seen it argued for the last 4 years that football is a team sport, and putting the Rams record on Bradford alone is idiotic. Now we trade for a QB who's team went 6-2 in games he started (note started, not even played the majority of, just took the first snap in) and all of a sudden team record means something?

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
If I can point out that the last two Super Bowl teams had uninspiring receivers. How did they get there ? Good QB play and Good defense ?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
That's okay just one more pundit to be proven wrong. Run the ball take your shots down field and limit the turnovers and everybody will be calling Nick Foles the most efficient QB in the NFL.

I understand the trepidation and it's easy to put Foles on the list, but IMO the WR's should be better this year and I like Chris Weinke working with Foles to ensure all goes well in the Gateway City.

Let Mr. Sessler know two things:
  1. Foles is an upgrade over Shaun Hill & Kellen Clemens
  2. I understand that Sessler never played organized football in his life and that's why I will give him a pass when he's proven wrong.
And for those who keep posting "I wish Sam the Best." I don't I hope he remains injury free and has a mediocre season at best. Sorry, that's just me.

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
Because he makes the prediction....Foles' law postulates that it will not come true.
Thanks Marc Sessler!! :LOL:

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Foles being the number 1 disappointment in 2015 is asinine. I don't doubt Foles has the ability to lead and carry this team but ideally that will rest on the offensive line and Gurley and Mason. Ideally he isn't going to be asked to do much.

Half of this list is asinine. I don't think there are high expectations for Cassel and McCown.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I believe Foles will NOT disappoint for at least 2 reasons...

1. He will come out of the tunnel at least once wearing his uniform instead of a track warm-up suit...

2. He will take at least 1 regular season snap in 2015...

I REST MY CASE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!