Should we build O-line and WR corps around Keenum?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm not thinking Keenum will become a franchise type QB but I'm also not sold that others in the draft are either. If our O-line comes back stout with a year under their belts and we add another playmaker on offense, we could actually be really good. A game managing QB that can spread the ball around and play smart is better than going with a rookie that is simply not good enough to be better than what we have.

But then I firmly believe Mannion is better than Goff or Lynch or Cook so....

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Outside of the C position, we're good on the OL.

Saffold will be back

Brown will be back

Havebstein is actually playing really well for a rookie. He's just missed time.

Tim Barnes is the guy we need to upgrade on. (Am I wrong about Barnes?)

Too early to give up on G-Rob

It's the WR's.

So yes, build around Keenum and Mannion.

FRO

Legend
Keenum's lack of arm strength leaves plays on the field. I know we won today and we should be happy
Outside of the C position, we're good on the OL.

Saffold will be back

Brown will be back

Havebstein is actually playing really well for a rookie. He's just missed time.

Tim Barnes is the guy we need to upgrade on. (Am I wrong about Barnes?)

Too early to give up on G-Rob

It's the WR's.

So yes, build around Keenum and Mannion.
If we build around Keenum, we will be q 6-10 team next year. He leaves plays on the field with his lack of arm strength. We have to improve the QB position. The offense only scored 14 points today. That's not going to be good enough to be a playoff team.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Keenum's lack of arm strength leaves plays on the field. I know we won today and we should be happy

If we build around Keenum, we will be q 6-10 team next year. He leaves plays on the field with his lack of arm strength. We have to improve the QB position. The offense only scored 14 points today. That's not going to be good enough to be a playoff team.

What plays? These WO's barely get open and drop the easiest passes.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
It's important to note that those on the "Keenum 16" side have Mannion as his shadow. Mannion is the key. We just don't know how good he'll be. It's all mental with him.

FRO

Legend
What plays? These WO's barely get open and drop the easiest passes.
Maybe not today, but he did against Baltimore and he will in the future. He has below average arm talent. He wasn't all that good today.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Maybe not today, but he did against Baltimore and he will in the future. He has below average arm talent. He wasn't all that good today.

I agree with you to a degree. The real question is if he's good enough to hold the fort down for Mannion. I think so, but then the question is is Mannion good enough? Mannion will either be our version of Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, or Matt Schaub. He is of that prototype and I certainly wish I had that answer. If he turns out to be Schaub then we could be screwed for the next 4 years. That's how big this decision is, as it is any time you talk of drafting a QB. (CLE is getting lucky by having a guy like Lynch fall into their lap after two years of Manziel, of whom played well today. Who knows.)

FRO

Legend
I agree with you to a degree. The real question is if he's good enough to hold the fort down for Mannion. I think so, but then the question is is Mannion good enough? Mannion will either be our version of Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, or Matt Schaub. He is of that prototype and I certainly wish I had that answer. If he turns out to be Schaub then we could be screwed for the next 4 years. That's how big this decision is, as it is any time you talk of drafting a QB. (CLE is getting lucky by having a guy like Lynch fall into their lap after two years of Manziel, of whom played well today. Who knows.)
We are in QB purgatory. I do not thing Keenum is the answer going forward. I do not know if Mannion is, we will have to proceed like he isn't. We have to hope that a starting caliber QB becomes available.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
We are in QB purgatory. I do not thing Keenum is the answer going forward. I do not know if Mannion is, we will have to proceed like he isn't. We have to hope that a starting caliber QB becomes available.

I think Mannion can be Matt Ryan. But hey, we don't have Julio Jones or Roddy White. No where close to it. That's why I say we need Teadwell.

QB purgatory is not so bad when you have Gurley. Fisher hasn't been pumping his touches up lately so we should have him for a while.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I think Mannion can be Matt Ryan. But hey, we don't have Julio Jones or Roddy White. No where close to it. That's why I say we need Teadwell.

QB purgatory is not so bad when you have Gurley. Fisher hasn't been pumping his touches up lately so we should have him for a while.

Treadwell AND sign Gordon/Jeffery and we can focus on the Oline and upgrade at already solid positions. Give Mannion the tools to succeed.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hell no. Do you guys watch other teams play? It doesn't make you jealous to see teams that actually have starting caliber QBs?

If someone wants to build up the OL and WRs, fine. But you don't build around Keenum. You come up with a plan to bring in another veteran QB (that is actually starting caliber) or draft a guy or tether yourself to Mannion.

But Keenum? We know what he is. He's not a franchise QB. He's not a quality QB.

SuperMan28

Hall of Fame
Treadwell AND sign Gordon/Jeffery and we can focus on the Oline and upgrade at already solid positions. Give Mannion the tools to succeed.

Tools to succeed. Boy, we haven't done that for a QB since the greatest show on Turf. Maybe that's why we've been losing.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hell no. Do you guys watch other teams play? It doesn't make you jealous to see teams that actually have starting caliber QBs?

If someone wants to build up the OL and WRs, fine. But you don't build around Keenum. You come up with a plan to bring in another veteran QB (that is actually starting caliber) or draft a guy or tether yourself to Mannion.

But Keenum? We know what he is. He's not a franchise QB. He's not a quality QB.

Did you even bother to read the actual post or just the headline? NO ONE here is arguing that Keenum is a franchise QB or even the future for the Rams. All we are saying is he and Mannion are probably what we're stuck with next season so we might as well build up the O-line and receiving corps to held them and Gurley out. The only QB worth taking in the Draft in my eyes is Lynch and I highly doubt we'll be in a good position to get him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did you even bother to read the actual post or just the headline? NO ONE here is arguing that Keenum is a franchise QB or even the future for the Rams. All we are saying is he and Mannion are probably what we're stuck with next season so we might as well build up the O-line and receiving corps to held them and Gurley out. The only QB worth taking in the Draft in my eyes is Lynch and I highly doubt we'll be in a good position to get him.

We're probably stuck with them? Uh, no we're not. If the Rams decide to stick with them, that's their own choice. And based on what we know about Keenum, it's an unintelligent one.

If you think Lynch is the only QB worth taking, you need to check out some of the other QBs in this draft.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
We're probably stuck with them? Uh, no we're not. If the Rams decide to stick with them, that's their own choice. And based on what we know about Keenum, it's an unintelligent one.

If you think Lynch is the only QB worth taking, you need to check out some of the other QBs in this draft.

Oh yea, like who? Goff? He's likely to be gone by the time the Rams pick and he would need time to develop. Connor Cook? Incredibly overrated in my eyes. He struggles against legitimate opponents and plays in a flattering spread offense, much different than what St. Louis runs. This is a weak QB class. Even Lynch is far from a sure thing. So who can we grab that will be better than Keenum or Mannion? You act like starting NFL QBs are just walking the streets. You can call Keenum mediocre but if you give a mediocre QB time to throw and a receiver like Alshon Jeffrey, suddenly they look like a good QB.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh yea, like who? Goff? He's likely to be gone by the time the Rams pick and he would need time to develop.

He might be gone. Like any young QB, he'll need time to develop. But he's a far better option than Keenum.

Connor Cook? Incredibly overrated in my eyes. He struggles against legitimate opponents and plays in a flattering spread offense, much different than what St. Louis runs.

Neither of these things are accurate. Arguably Cook's four most impressive games in his career have come against Ohio State (2013 and 2014) and in their Bowl games in 2013 and 2014 against Stanford and Baylor.

And no, Cook doesn't play in a flattering spread offense. Cook plays in a vertically oriented run first pro style offense. It's actually pretty similar to the Air Coryell schemes that Hue Jackson and Norv Turner run. That's one of the biggest strengths he has going for him...the fact that he has 3 years of starting experience in a pro style offense. In fact, his college offense is run very similarly to the Rams current offense.

This is a weak QB class. Even Lynch is far from a sure thing. So who can we grab that will be better than Keenum or Mannion? You act like starting NFL QBs are just walking the streets. You can call Keenum mediocre but if you give a mediocre QB time to throw and a receiver like Alshon Jeffrey, suddenly they look like a good QB.

Except this isn't a weak QB class.

Who can we grab that's better than Keenum?(because none of us know how good Mannion is) If we're talking only veteran QBs:
Colin Kaepernick
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Mike Glennon
Brian Hoyer
Josh McCown
Sam Bradford
Zach Mettenberger
Drew Stanton

I wouldn't be happy with all of these guys starting but they all offer more as starters than Keenum.

And then draft prospects that I'd take over Keenum in 2016:
Jared Goff
Paxton Lynch
Connor Cook
Carson Wentz
Jacoby Brissett

No, Keenum doesn't look like a good QB with a better supporting cast. He had Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins during his time in Houston. He was still a bad QB. Keenum isn't even a mediocre starter (so I wouldn't call him mediocre...he's not even that good). He's still Case Keenum no matter who you surround him with...and surrounding him with talent only wastes that talent.

I act like there are a ton of options better than Case Keenum that will be available this off-season. And there will be.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
As of now, we're picking 8th.

The Titans, Chargers, Lions, Cowboys and Ravens all have their QBs already.

Manziel's play for the rest of this season will determine whether the Browns want a QB. The 49ers have all sorts of needs so may feel that they can go with Gabbert in the meantime and draft other positions in 2016.

Others may trade up into the spots ahead of us and lord knows there are plenty of teams that need a QB but there doesn't seem to be much consensus about who the best QB is to trade up for in the first place.

What I'm saying is that the Rams may well be in a position to draft one of the QB prospects.

But does that mean they should?

I've always thought that there's little point in drafting your franchise QB if you're putting him into a bad situation. I think we should draft the whoever the best WR is when we come to pick in the 1st round and get a TE and another o lineman with the two 2nd round picks and let Foles, Keenum and Mannion battle it out in camp (with fingers firmly crossed for Mannion to come out on top).

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
He might be gone. Like any young QB, he'll need time to develop. But he's a far better option than Keenum.

Neither of these things are accurate. Arguably Cook's four most impressive games in his career have come against Ohio State (2013 and 2014) and in their Bowl games in 2013 and 2014 against Stanford and Baylor.

And no, Cook doesn't play in a flattering spread offense. Cook plays in a vertically oriented run first pro style offense. It's actually pretty similar to the Air Coryell schemes that Hue Jackson and Norv Turner run. That's one of the biggest strengths he has going for him...the fact that he has 3 years of starting experience in a pro style offense. In fact, his college offense is run very similarly to the Rams current offense.

Except this isn't a weak QB class.

Who can we grab that's better than Keenum?(because none of us know how good Mannion is) If we're talking only veteran QBs:
Colin Kaepernick
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Mike Glennon
Brian Hoyer
Josh McCown
Sam Bradford
Zach Mettenberger
Drew Stanton

I wouldn't be happy with all of these guys starting but they all offer more as starters than Keenum.

And then draft prospects that I'd take over Keenum in 2016:
Jared Goff
Paxton Lynch
Connor Cook
Carson Wentz
Jacoby Brissett

No, Keenum doesn't look like a good QB with a better supporting cast. He had Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins during his time in Houston. He was still a bad QB. Keenum isn't even a mediocre starter (so I wouldn't call him mediocre...he's not even that good). He's still Case Keenum no matter who you surround him with...and surrounding him with talent only wastes that talent.

I act like there are a ton of options better than Case Keenum that will be available this off-season. And there will be.

You do realize that Cook only has a 56.9% completion percentage right?? The only two decent teams he's played this year are Iowa and Michigan. Against Iowa he completed 50% of his passes for 191 yards, 0 TD, and 1 INT. Against Michigan he only completed 46.2% of his passes for 328 yards and 1 TD. The rest of his opponents this year have been absolute cupcakes.

Out of the free agents you've listed the ONLY one that seriously interests me is Fitzpatrick. Mettenberger is the only other one I sort of like because he has a cannon for an arm.

As for the Draft prospects only 2 of those you listed are better than Mannion and they will be gone by the time we pick.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You do realize that Cook only has a 56.9% completion percentage right?? The only two decent teams he's played this year are Iowa and Michigan. Against Iowa he completed 50% of his passes for 191 yards, 0 TD, and 1 INT. Against Michigan he only completed 46.2% of his passes for 328 yards and 1 TD. The rest of his opponents this year have been absolute cupcakes.

I noticed you changed the subject quickly when I pointed out the inaccuracies.

Yep, I'm completely aware of that. I also watched both of those games. He played quite well against Michigan. And calling every other team he played "cupcakes" is pretty inaccurate. But that doesn't address the point that he's consistently stepped up in big games while at Michigan State. Nor does it give me much confidence that you've seen him play.

Have you watched and evaluated Cook? Because I'm more interested in reading analysis than stats that can be found on google in 10 seconds. Sorry if this comes off as brash or blunt but I'm interested in analysis. Not debating box score stats.

Out of the free agents you've listed the ONLY one that seriously interests me is Fitzpatrick. Mettenberger is the only other one I sort of like because he has a cannon for an arm.

Each and every one is better than Keenum. Except possibly Mettenberger.

As for the Draft prospects only 2 of those you listed are better than Mannion and they will be gone by the time we pick.

Every single one I listed is a better prospect than Mannion was.