Should we build O-line and WR corps around Keenum?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
I know a lot of people are talking about taking a QB with the 1st pick and I'm considering it myself. However, I honestly don't see any franchise QB worth taking outside of MAYBE Paxton Lynch. He and Goff should be long gone by the time the Rams pick and I don't think much of Connor Cook.

Now that I've seen more of him I do wonder how good Keenum can be if he has a stronger O-line and a better WR corps. He will never be an elite QB and is not a long-term solution but maybe he can be a solid game manager. I'm thinking we should take Treadwell in the 1st and take some linemen in later rounds to build depth ( I REALLY wish they had taken a chance on La'el Collins in the 7th Round last year). I also think we should pick up 1 or 2 veteran linemen in free agency, specifically Wisniewski at Center. Brown, Havenstein, and Wichman can all be solid especially with an off-season of training.

So those are my thoughts about the Ram's current Draft situation. What do y'all think?

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Keenum is not a long-term solution, in my opinion. But depending on how the draft shakes out, he might be our only option next season.

If Goff and Lynch are both gone by the time we pick (I'm not convinced both will be), and we cannot trade up to get one without giving up an unreasonable amount of assets, definitely take the best offensive player available. That would probably be a WR. But if it is an o-lineman, so be it.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Lets see what he does Thursday....then in 2 weeks in Seattle....I'll know more then....

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If Goff and Lynch are both gone by the time we pick (I'm not convinced both will be), and we cannot trade up to get one without giving up an unreasonable amount of assets, definitely take the best offensive player available. That would probably be a WR. But if it is an o-lineman, so be it.

Fair point. If there is a strong LT available I would be ok with that pick. I think Robinson can be a dominant Guard but doesn't quite have it between the ears to be a LT in the NFL.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
958.gif

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Well, do you trade picks to move up to get one, or keep your spot and build a solid offense? Because we will finish with at least 6 wins and be out of the Goff, Lynch range, probably. I say take Treadwell, and upgrade the line. This offense is a power run offense. An elite QB prospect will probably have his growth hindered with this line and these WR. That equates to play similar to what we have now. I vote for building the offense around Kennum (or Mannion, Foles...best player plays)

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
No. You build around Gurley and keep looking for the answer at QB.

Building up the O-line and the passing game IS building around Gurley. Imagine what Todd can do when isn't running against 8-9 men in the box. At this point I think Keenum/Mannion is what we will be working with next year so we need to give them some options to throw to and build the O-line.

ViennaMax

Rookie
i watched every game he started as a texan and i wanted the rams to pick him up before they did it - imo he can be a solid qb (never will be elite obv)..... as well i would love to take a look at mannion at some point this or next saison.

but i don't see the reason why we should be out of range to pick one of the top qb`s this draft - we just won 1 game, don't get over excited.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Building up the O-line and the passing game IS building around Gurley. Imagine what Todd can do when isn't running against 8-9 men in the box. At this point I think Keenum/Mannion is what we will be working with next year so we need to give them some options to throw to and build the O-line.

Mannion maybe. Keenum is a quality backup.

If you really want to free Gurley, get a franchise QB.

Let's not forget this was the Lions we played today - and we were at home. I sure didn't see enough from Case to call the QB spot settled. It's still the least settled position on the field for us, if you ask me. And that includes LT and it includes WR.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Trade up for goff, let him sit while keenum starts for a bit. Bring in a few FA offensive linemen, sign Alshon Jeffery, draft a stud playmaking WR and a TE who will block whenever asked and can catch.The end....

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
How many first round picks do we have this year? Since we don't have enough of them to fix everything, even if the players were actuall in this years draft, I'd say that we better try to see what we have in Mannion or we'll be playing Keenum again next year.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
if you're telling me that no legit FA Qbs like Fitz or whoever can't be signed then i guess its keenum cus i don't see any legit QBs coming out this year. and Keenum doesn't have the arm anyways so we don't really need to waste a first round on a big body deep threat WR. invest another 1st round on the Oline. yea i don't give a shit how many we've spent already but our only first round Olineman isn't proving shit so i guess try again. Gurley is the focal point of the offense period and he obviously needs more help so a WR does nothing for him. get another road grater to get him some yards and then pounding the ball successfully opens up options down the field. the WR are serviceable but Cook is another story. and we absolutely have to find a way to retain one if not both our corners whether gaines is a beast again next year or Joyner steps up more, JJ and Tru are almost shutdown corners and need to be retained to keep the D dominating

jjab360

Legend
I'm seriously wondering what about today's performance would make anyone think Keenum is a QB worth building around, am I missing something?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Keenum is what he is. A guy who can take over for a little while and not screw up royally in the process. He's not someone you build around, but he is someone you keep around in the event your starter can't go.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
I'm seriously wondering what about today's performance would make anyone think Keenum is a QB worth building around, am I missing something?

I think some of y'all are taking my post out of context. In my mind, unless we land a good QB in free agency or Lynch/Goff drops to us in the draft, Keenum/Mannion is what we are going to be dealing with for next year. Going from that, I think we need to give them time to throw the ball and guys to throw the ball to. If the passing game can just be average it would take a massive load off of Gurley. We will still need a QB later down the road but as of right now I don't think we have great options for next year. I think Cook might be the only one available in the Draft and I really don't think highly of him.

Ram Pat

Rookie
I think some of y'all are taking my post out of context. In my mind, unless we land a good QB in free agency or Lynch/Goff drops to us in the draft, Keenum/Mannion is what we are going to be dealing with for next year. Going from that, I think we need to give them time to throw the ball and guys to throw the ball to. If the passing game can just be average it would take a massive load off of Gurley. We will still need a QB later down the road but as of right now I don't think we have great options for next year. I think Cook might be the only one available in the Draft and I really don't think highly of him.
trade up with the seconds, for Lynch only; otherwise no. Goff is not answer

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
From what I seen today.....I'm willing to give this a shot. May be a long shot, however; this can be something in the making....

FRO

Legend
Absolutely not. He is a mediocre backup. We didn't win because of him. We won because Gurley finally had some holes to run in.