Should the Rams consider signing former McVay coached RB Matt Jones, if released?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
RBs seem to be a dime a dozen when it comes to backups and specialized task guys ( like goal line back). I have no idea what we have other than Gurley, Brown, and Rogers. I thought I read somewhere that Jones isn't the best locker room guy. I'm sure McVay is all over it if he is worthy of a pickup. If the Rams spend any capital on Jones, I'm sure they consider what we have at the position as very inadequate.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's why I never lost faith in Gurley. I definitely think he lost all faith and confidence in the run blocking and was pressed to make something happen, but the guy just doesn't fumble the ball. How many times was he hit just as he got the handoff. A lot of backs dealing with that type of adversity start loosing the ball but Gurley just don't he reminds me a lot of Steven Jackson that way

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I think we're A-OK with our RB stable at the moment - I really don't want an RB which has ball-retention problems on the field of play tbh...

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
You guys really need to chill
How in the HECK am I supposed to chill when there's no football on!

I can only watch so many NFL films showing guys wearing leather helmets and listening to an announcer talk about days gone by in a deep voice!

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
I was impressed by Jones when he sliced through a good Rams Defense in 2015 but I think that game was one of the highlights of his career. He was benched in an offense formerly run by our current head coach who probably had a hand in that demotion so I doubt he comes on board even if cut. Brown offers a similar style to Jones but without the fumbling and perceived locker room issues.

Regarding Brown, I like the power I saw from him last preseason and in his limited real game action last year. With his size I think he is a good complimentary back well suited for bringing into the game in the 4th Qtr with our Rams holding a lead and wanting to run out the clock (while giving Gurley a rest).

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...att-jones-is-on-our-roster-i-expect-him-back/

Jay Gruden: Matt Jones is on our roster, I expect him back
Posted by Josh Alper on June 1, 2017

630493792-e1496320565257.jpg
Getty Images

Running back Matt Jones has not taken part in Organized Team Activities this offseason after reportedly being told by members of the Redskins coaching staff that he’s not in the team’s plans for the 2017 season.

Given previous word that the team was shopping Jones in a trade and a depth chart that features Rob Kelley, Chris Thompson and rookie Samaje Perine, that didn’t qualify as a particularly shocking revelation. It’s not one that head coach Jay Gruden is willing to sign onto at this point, however.

Gruden was asked on Wednesday if he expected Jones to return to the team and he lumped him in with other players who aren’t at OTAs while definitely remaining in the team’s plans.

“I hope so,” Gruden said in comments distributed by the team. “I expect him to be. He’s on our roster, he’s eating up a spot. We all know that this is voluntary, so there’s really nothing that we can do. We’d like everybody to be here without a doubt, but at the end of the day, Jordan Reed is in Miami working out, Trent [Williams] is working out in Oklahoma, Matt Jones chose not to be here, so we obviously want people to work together and learn together, but it is voluntary at the end of the day.”

The state of the depth chart and his spot on the inactive list for the second half of last season makes it easy to believe that Jones would prefer to be elsewhere, but there’s no pressure for the team to make a move now and the possibility of an injury to another back gives little impetus for them to rush a departure.

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
Brown offers a similar style to Jones but without the fumbling and perceived locker room issues.

I kind of agree with this sentiment, but I'll tell you, Jones destroyed us when we played the Redskins. I think he's a more punishing runner and has more breakaway potential than Brown. Yes, he comes with fumbling problems, but that can be coached, I feel. He's worth a competition spot imho

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/14/matt-jones-agent-asks-for-his-client-to-be-released/

Matt Jones’ agent asks for his client to be released
Posted by Josh Alper on June 14, 2017

615037736-e1497452542659.jpg
Getty Images

Running back Matt Jones reported to work in Washington on Tuesday for the first time this offseason, but his presence at mandatory minicamp doesn’t appear to be an indication that he wants to remain on the Redskins.

Jones’ agent Hadley Engelhard told the Associated Pressthat he asked the team “very politely” to release Jones and make him a free agent. Jones did not play in the final nine games of the 2016 season after the team bumped Rob Kelley up to the lead role in the backfield and the Redskins drafted Samaje Perine in April to push Jones further down the depth chart.

“Let’s move on,” Engelhard said. “We’re hoping [team president Bruce Allen] sees the light and does the gentleman thing and release Matt. … He’s a healthy scratch. All the writing’s on the wall that he’s going to be released. Is Bruce waiting for a team to have a devastating injury that’s in dire straits to make a trade? I guess you can do that. But you’re messing with someone’s mind, for lack of a better term.”

Jones did not make the same plea on Tuesday, saying that he is “going to work like I’m on the team and play like I’m on the team.” For now, he is indeed on the team but it doesn’t look like anyone in his camp will be upset when and if that changes.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Should the Rams consider signing former McVay coached RB Matt Jones, if released?
227364_e6bb3fb766d84df9b7d42e7d6bed1cf1~mv2.webp

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...ormer-McVay-coached-RB-Matt-Jones-if-released

The former third-round pick of the Washington Redskins appears to be done with the team and a release could be imminent. The real question: Should the Rams consider reuniting him with Sean McVay?

Matt Jones is a bruising back that you probably already know just off his dominance against the Rams from a few years ago. Jones brings a nasty mean streak to him as a runner, he's not the fastest player on the field, but his power makes up for it. As great as Todd Gurley is...he isn't quite the bulldozer that Jones can be, which means the Rams likely don't have that goal line type of back on the roster if they want to spell Gurley.

According to CSN Mid-Atlantic the third-year running back is not in the Redskins plans moving forward after drafting former Oklahoma Sooner RB Samaje Perine. Jones, definitely was not okay with the move as he is holding out of OTAs, which has angered head coach Jay Gruden.

If Matt Jones continues to skip OTAs it's likely he will be cut and the 6-foot-2, 232 pounder will be a free agent. Now, I have no clue if Sean McVay had a relationship with Jones, but throwing the connections out of the window for a minute, the Rams don't have a 6-foot-2 and 230-plus pound bruising back. Obviously, the Rams are well over the cap, but that is due to the off-season rosters expanding to 90 men. Once the final cuts are made the Rams will likely be right where they need to be.

Jones has only had 243 carries for 950 yards rushing, six touchdowns as well as adding another 377 yards receiving out of the backfield on 27 catches. The reason for those stats being a little underwhelming at first glance was due to the time-share in Washington, but also the fact Jones only has played in 20 games in two seasons and only has seven official starts under his belt. Clearly Jones needs a change of scenery and the Rams could give it to him.

On the other side of the coin, the Rams have running backs Malcolm Brown, Aaron Green, Justin Davis, Lance Dunbar, Lenard Tillery and De'Mard Llorens. A move to get Jones would really speak on the coaches behalf on what they see and believe with the running back group thus far. My opinion and my knowledge of the situation coincide in the fact the Rams should be and are wanting to add a bigger pass catching back next season. Jones could definitely be that guy and cut down the wait time for that to happen.

Obviously, there is one key variable if any, for Jones to sign with the Rams and that is the first part, getting released. The team may choose to keep him and trade him, but overall I see Jones being cut before preseason. Is Jones a hidden need for the Rams? I would almost say yes, because of his ability to punch the ball in during short yardage attempts. As great as Gurley is, he was still stuffed plenty of times at the goal line and at least one of the times it costed the Rams a win.

The jury is out whether or not Matt Jones can be an NFL starter, but coming to the Rams he wouldn't have to be. This is likely the best route for Jones, going back to an old coach that understands the game of football and is comfortable utilizing him in both the running game and passing game. If Jones is to succeed at the NFL level and get his career back on track, the Rams seem like the perfect fit to propel his stock back to his rookie year.

Would you grab Matt Jones if he became available via free agency? Let us know!

Dude is a fumble machine, we have options that are better...So a big hell no